[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sick puppy, help please

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: unnamed.jpg (36KB, 939x704px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
36KB, 939x704px
hi /an/, i wish i could talk to a pro about this, but i've already seen 2 vets, and the problem doesn't get solved, and i've already spent a lot of money on this

3 weeks ago I got a new puppy, it looked normal and healthy
14 days ago: mild diarrhea started
12 days ago: the diarrhea turned watery, the puppy refused to eat, so it was taken to an emergency vet, and stayed hospitalized 4 days (fed through blood stream), time during which the diarrhea didn't subside. it received injections to boost its immune system.
7 days ago: the puppy returned home. the vet prescribed the following meds: metronidazole (antibiotic), ranitidine (something that decreases stomach acid production), trimetoprim and sulfametoxazol (broad spectre antibiotic). the food it has been eating these days is hills digestive care
6 days ago: the puppy ate just fine. diarrhea continued, but now with small drops of blood. the vet said it was because the puppy's intestine is delicate, and gave us some probiotics, and vitamins
yesterday and today: diarrhea like in the pic attached started. the puppy is still cheerful, and eats just fine.

additional facts:
-blood tests were made, the first one had a very low white blood cell count (half of what it should've been), 3 days after the leukocyte level was back to normal. the initial low count is what made the vet think it's a viral problem
-it was given worming medications
-the vet's diagnosis is: viral gastroenteritis
-the puppy's siblings are doing fine, nothing's wrong with them
-no other symptoms

i'm starting to get desperate because the puppy has been having diarrhea for 2 weeks, and i'm really skeptical about the medications the vet prescribed. i think if i had a bloody diarrhea, no doctor would tell me to drink some yakult, and that's it. also, why would the vet give it antibiotics, considering the problem is viral?

i'm not asking for a diagnosis on the internet, i'm just asking for opinions so i can decide what to do next. please, help.
>>
>>2231338
PARVO GET IT TO A REAL VET NOW
>>
>>2231340
negative for parvo
>>
>>2231340
parvo would have killed him in a day horribly.
>>
>>2231346
what else could this be?
>>
>>2231350
Are you feeding him weird shit?
>>
OP try slowly mixing in some plain rice and low fat ground beef to his diet for a few days, and then maybe take him off the dog food he's on for a few days more. Don't do this presently, it's not going to be a nutritionally complete meal, but I have seen a lot of people suggest this for older dogs that are having a hard time digesting food.

Maybe get him checked out for allergies too, a few dogs have HORRIBLE reactions to corn or any kind of wheat.
>>
Metronidazole is a pretty brutal antibiotic. It definitely is used commonly in gut issues with dogs, however, and can be very effective if they're of a bacterial nature. Read up on the symptoms of metronidazole toxicity, which can spring up even after a few days of use in particularly susceptible individuals. In resilient individuals, courses may last 2-4 weeks.

In some dogs metronidazole will cause diarrhea.

By prescribing antibiotics, they're probably just covering their bases since the cause is essentially unknown. If it is viral, they won't do anything. If it's bacterial, they'll help.

That colour and consistency of poop is worrying. Keep a close eye on your puppy for dehydration. They can get really dehydrated really fast at that age, and even older dogs can drop surprisingly quickly.

If the diarrhea continues but puppy does not lose appetite, I would suggest starting to run blood tests checking organ function.

One last thing: what are you feeding the dog?
>>
>>2231338
Darts in the dark, but any blood spots anywhere, bleeding gums? Anything look like a hickey on the dog's exposed skin? Male or female?
>>
Parvo maybe?
>>
>>2231474
this.
>>
>>2231476
Thats already been ruled out, and that dog doesn't have any symptoms of parvo except the diarrea. Besides, parvo would have hit within just a couple days and done most of the damage then. Puppers would have been down for the count, not to mention its siblings would be showing symptoms too.
>>
>>2231338
I pray for your puppy anon. Get well soon
>>
>>2231465
As a human that is allergic to metronidazole you are speaking the truth of how brutal it is. In humans it is also prescribed to alcoholics because of the adverse reactions the drug has when mixed with alcohol tends to keep them from drinking
>>
Have they completely rules out parasites besides worms as well, I've seen a French bull dog with a similar condition from parasites that took months for its stool to harden and feel better.
>>
>>2231515
Doctors are dicks
>>
>>2231515
Yeah. My dog has a chronic gut issue and would have diarrhoea for the rest of his life but for the off-label use of tylosin, which is a pig and poultry antibiotic. A single size-appropriate dog of metronidazole given for the same purpose makes him really sick -- worse diarrhoea, vomiting, extreme lethargy. It's taken him a week to come right after just one dose before.

Thank all that is good for tylosin.
>>
File: 1353740151922.gif (304KB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
1353740151922.gif
304KB, 500x363px
Please keep us updated, OP
>>
File: 1471982100298.jpg (107KB, 644x790px) Image search: [Google]
1471982100298.jpg
107KB, 644x790px
>>2232092
>dumb
>>
where are you in the US?

(yes, it's relevant)
>>
>>2231483
>not to mention its siblings would be showing symptoms too
Not if they were vaccinated.

How old exactly is the puppy? What shots has it had?
>>
>>2231338
Try to get something to help with inflammation. Gastroenteritis isn't a real diagnosis (it just means inflammation somewhere is the digestive tract) , it's just a symptom that they call a diagnosis when they aren't sure what's wrong.
>>
>>2232248
I should mention that this could just be an allergic reaction that's gotten out of hand.
>>
>>2231363
this but boiled chicken instead of beef. plain with white rice
>>
Coccidia?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.