[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /an/ I recently picked up this guy on the side of the road.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 14751910614951773623349.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
14751910614951773623349.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Hey /an/

I recently picked up this guy on the side of the road. Idk what species this turtle is. Idk what it eats either.

Does anyone know what kind of turtle it and what kind of diet he has?
>>
>>2230377
Looks like a ground turtle, vegetables.

How do you people always find turtles, never seen one in the wild.
>>
>>2230377
A box turtle, they pretty much each veggies.
>>
>>2230379
>>2230380
Thanks a bunch, mates! I found it on my way to work. I was about to run over the little fella, but luckily, i saw the dude in time and thought i could probably take care of turtle lol. Do you know what kind of veggies it eats? And do they like them in small pieces?
>>
>thought i could probably take care of turtle lol.
you thought wrong cocksucker
>>
>>2230377
The kind you release back into the wild
>>
>>2230377
Please do not take a grown-ass turtle out of the wild to live in a little plastic bin in your house you stupid cocksucker.
>>
>>2230377
Eastern Box Turtle. It is best to leave them where you find them. Removing a breeding adult form its region can be very detrimental to the population. And they live for 50 to 100 years or more. You want to care for it the rest of your life, and have to Will it to someone?
>>
>>2230377
Thousands of box turtles are collected from the wild every year for the domestic pet trade, primarily from South Carolina, the only remaining state where they can legally be captured from the wild and sold for profit. Captive turtles may have a life span as short as three days if they aren't fed, watered, and held in a proper container. The vivid shell color found in many eastern box turtles often fades when a turtle is brought into captivity. This has led to the mistaken belief that the color fades as the turtle ages. The truth is that insufficient access to full sunlight causes the color in the keratin layer to fade. The eastern box turtle is protected throughout most of its range but many states allow the capture and possession of box turtles for personal use. Captive breeding is fairly commonplace, but not so much that it can supply the market demand. Although box turtles may make hardy captives if their needs are met, and are frequently kept as pets, they are not easy turtles to keep, owing to their many specific requirements. Eastern box turtles require high humidity, warm temperatures with vertical and horizontal thermal gradients, suitable substrate for burrowing, and full spectrum ultraviolet lighting that mimics sunlight. A basking area at one end of the enclosure is important to offer the turtle the ability to warm itself and is critical to sexually mature males and females for development of sperm and egg follicles respectively.
>>
Box turtle. Please put it back and get one from a pet store. Box turtles, especially wild caught ones do not do very well in captivity for the most part, and aren't easy to care for.

They also definitely eat more than veggies.

Unless you have a large outdoor enclosure you 100% should not be keeping it.
>>
Like others said, best to let them be.
That one is at least 15 years old.
Males have a concave belly plate, females are basically flat (so males to slide off during mating).
Always good to pull over and get them safely off the road.
Some states have laws specifically saying you're allowed to move them off the road (in the direction they're travelling) but collecting them is illegal.

I'll sometimes find them in the road where either side is being harrowed for crops and I'll take them to a safer location, that's it.
>>
my sisters neighbor gave her and my nephew a red eared slider about 5 years ago, and my sister is moving and has no idea who to give the turtle to take care of, since I cant do it right now.

would it be able to live on its own or has being raised by humans made it unable to do so?
>>
>>2230546
it shouldn't have any trouble finding food.

but it's going to die of virusses and parasites due to it's lowered resistance against them.
>>
File: IMG_0089.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0089.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2230379
It's not so much that it's hard to find turtles, it's just uncommon. Found this snapper once by a stream passing through a local BJs

I guarantee you that depending where you live, go by any large body of water and you are bound to see at least a Red Eared Slider where it isn't supposed to be. See below

>>2230546
It's roughly a 50/50 chance it will either easily survive or die via disease, parasites, predation by whatever could be around, unable to brumate, etc.

That said RES are notorious of being hardy as shit (a trait that's good in captivity. Mine has lived through some really bad shit even as a yearling and is now 11 years old in significantly better conditions) but because of it, captives will be able to survive and have a tendency to outcompete any native turtle populations due to generally being larger and more territorial than most natives. Ultimately they fuck up populations of fish, other turtles, and shit just because people release them where they really shouldn't be. (Especially if something like a local park would generally have no predators and will be able to thrive and become out of control)
>>
>>2230377
It's a spotted hitchhiker. Wikipedia says they eat victims.
>>
Box turtle. Put it back, most places it's illegal to take them out of the wild. Best thing you can do is return to where you found, even better if you put it back in the direction it was going to avoid it getting hit by traffic.

Turtles aren't that easy to care for, terrestrials tend to have really specific requirements and need to be provided fresh food alot. Most aquatics are only a few steps more difficult than keeping a large fish as you need huge as fuck tanks with good filtration and a varied diet. Both require UVB and basking lights to survive though.

If you want a box turtle, research the shit out of it and get a captive bred one, or if you just want a wild turtle for some damn reason, pull a RES from a local pond or something as like this anon said >>2230712 no one gives a shit about them because they're invasive as shit. They can adjust to captivity but it won't be easy and will probably want to bite you.
>>
>>2230526
>in the direction they're traveling
When you find turtles trying to cross the road, DON'T put him back where it came from! It's trying to cross the road for a reason, and they'll be determined to do so!

I do this all the time. Miami has a lot of aquatic turtles, and I'll see a lot of them try to find new ponds and canals. I'll always try to help them out.
>>
>>2230379
When I lived out in east Texas we could always find a red-back snapping fucker if we really wanted to. It's all about location
>>
>>2230712
I found one of these bastards in the road and had to help him.
Took off my shoe to use it to push him into a cardboard box.
Dick bit a hole in my shoe.
>>
>>2230377
you don't take random reptiles and keep tehm you shithead

it is a box turtle and put it the fuck back

you obviously don't know shit about keeping them and it will die
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.