[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pet Wolf

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

File: russian-wolf-family.jpg (570KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
russian-wolf-family.jpg
570KB, 1280x720px
Anyone have thoughts on having a pet wolf with other dogs? Are they likely to get along, or is that a bad idea?
>>
Do you understand what a wild animal is? Just get a dog.
>>
>>2225432
It's a bad idea to have one at all, but they'd probably be okay with dogs. Try a wolf-dog hybrid breed instead.
>>
>>2225432
Having pet wolves is always nice, assuming you get the right kind.

What you're looking for is Canis lupus familiaris. It's a subspecies of grey wolf, and has recently been subject to a pretty intense domestication programme.
>>
>>2225432
No. Leave them in the wild. People want them because "muh feefees with nature" they're the same kind of people that let wild horses become a problem now we gotta cull them all.
>>
from what (little) reading I've done it's possible to raise a wolf pup in such a way where they can grow to be a pet but the wolf will literally only tolerate its master and be just as suspicious of other humans as if they were wild
>>
>>2225443
>Leave them in the wild.
The wolves that get domesticated are almost always orphaned puppies. To leave them in the wild means to kill them.
>>
>>2225455
>domesticated
Do you even know what that work means?
>>
>>2225432
Why do you want a less obedient, hard to housetrain, shy dog?
You need a better reason than "wolves are cool and pretty!".
>>
>>2225436
I should have specified but I'm fine with a wolf-hybrid too.
>>
>>2225464
Because I love canines and they are a major part of my life. If there's an abandoned wolf out there that needs a home (and a pack), or a wolf-hybrid that has been bred and could potentially go to one of the people you are referring to, it's one of my main goals in life to take those animals in and give them the best life they could possibly have.
>>
>>2225462
I'm not a native English speaker and you know what I meant, so fuck you.
>>
>>2225475
How could a private owner be better than a sanctuary or zoo? Don't pretend like this goes any deeper than you wanting a special snowflake pet.
>>
>>2225455

Tame animals get released often.

>>2225466

Even worse. Wolf hybrids are notoriously dangerous and they can't live with either species. They're not normal dogs but they're not wolves either.
>>
>>2225464
Not him, but other than personal feelings, there is no real reason to own a wolfy.
I love them, but I would never want one, even for intimidation. They are are just too wild to train effectively when a husky can look just as pretty and a GSP attack dog can work just as well
>>
>>2225482
A dedicated private owner is absolutely better than a zoo environment.

But regardless, there aren't enough zoos and sanctuaries to care for every wolf or wolf-hybrid out there that needs care. From what I understand, a big problem with them is that people take them on not realizing what exactly they are getting themselves into, then pawn them off to rescues, and if failing to due so, abandon them. Also, where I live would be ideal for a wolf or wolfdog (rural location on 3 acres).

I don't want a "special snowflake", I want to save canines and give them great lives they would otherwise not have. There aren't many people with the time, money, and dedication I'm willing to put into this sort of thing. When I get a rescue dog, I intentionally go for big dogs that would otherwise be "undesirable" or difficult to adopt out, because most people don't want to deal with them. That's where my thoughts of adopting a wolf or wolfdog come from.
>>
>>2225488
>Tame animals get released often.
So what? How does that relate to leaving small orphaned puppies in the wild?

>Wolf hybrids are notoriously dangerous
Like pitbulls and SBTs?

>they can't live with either species
Oh really? I'll tell that to a woman whose Czechoslovakian wolfdog is my Chinese crested's best friend.
>>
>>2225488
>Wolf hybrids are notoriously dangerous and they can't live with either species.
m8
All the wolf hybrids breeder in my country won't give you one unless you already have at least one dog in your home.
>>
Wolves and wolf hybrids make shitty companion animals because they don't really want to have anything to do with you the way dogs do.
>>
>>2225504
If you want to go crazy you can work on a project to compete with the rooskies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KyBQAeHszk
>>
File: laughing greyhound.png (365KB, 700x400px) Image search: [Google]
laughing greyhound.png
365KB, 700x400px
>>2225505
>He thinks Czechoslovakian wolfdogs are wolf hybrids!!!!!!!
>>
>>2225515
Oh, please enlighten me then, who are they in your wonderful world?
>>
>>2225507

People sell wolf-hybrids? Where I'm from it's illegal. You need a license to own one and the only people who own them are those who have wolf experience and have giant enclosures.
>>
>>2225505

Are you dumb or trolling? One, Pit Bulls are not actually dangerous. Two, that breed is not a wolfdog. Iirc, it's used for HUNTING wolves.
>>
>>2225519
Canis lupus familiaris. Wolves might have been used in the development of the breed, but at this point, they are so many generations out from having any pure wolf as a parent it is retarded to call them a "wolf hybrid".

If a CzW is a wolf hybrid, then every dog is a wolf hybrid.
>>
>>2225520
There are states where it's legal to sell them if you have a license, and there isn't anything stopping people from bringing them over borders.
>>
>>2225513
It has to be an actual real wolf, if it's mixed it's just a stupid-looking dog.
>>
>>2225524
>if it's mixed it's just a stupid-looking dog.
Wolves are fucking huge for one, two they look badass.

Go eat a turd
>>
>>2225521
>Are you dumb or trolling?
No. Are you?

>One, Pit Bulls are not actually dangerous.
Yeah, that was the point of my sarcasm.

>Two, that breed is not a wolfdog. Iirc, it's used for HUNTING wolves.
Are you or trolling or dumb? It's a wolf-dog hybrid breed.

>>2225522
>Canis lupus familiaris
Do you realize just how arbitrary these names are? You probably don't and I won't bother explaining.

>Wolves might have been used in the development of the breed, but at this point, they are so many generations out from having any pure wolf as a parent it is retarded to call them a "wolf hybrid".
The percentage of wolf blood in them is 6.25%, it doesn't change from generation to generation, because the breeding only happens inside the breed.

>If a CzW is a wolf hybrid, then every dog is a wolf hybrid.
The process that turned wolves into dogs was a long process of domestication and selection, it's just not the same thing.
>>
>>2225535
Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>2225542
No. Why do you think so?
>>
>>2225545
>Wolf hybrid
>6.25% wolf blood
The dog has virtually 1/20th wolf in it. If a person told you "I am 1/20th Native American," how would you respond? "Yeah bro you are totally a Native American!!!!!!".

I would only say something up to like F3 or F4 you could call a wolf hybrid without any trace of irony. CzWs are pretty much just domesticated dogs at this point.

>they are so many generations out from having any pure wolf as a parent it is retarded to call them a "wolf hybrid".
>>
>>2225548
Okay, have you actually seen them IRL? They look like wolves, walk like wolves, they have wolf paws and make adorable howl-murmur sounds when greeting someone.
>>
Not gonna read the entire thread, but as someone whose owned wolves before.

1. Don't do it.
2. If you're going to do it you're gonna have to be more aggressive with it than a normal dog. While the alpha wolf theory is non existent as far as wild wolves go, it still exist for captive wolves. Which means you're gonna need to dominate the wolf, and not let any bad behavior go. Wolves don't fuck around and often kill their owners.
3. You must have a very large enclosure, that they can't escape from. If they do escape and bite a person or kill livestock .be ready and willing to put it down. Make sure you also have money saved up to go to court and pay damages.
4. Make sure it's legal.
5. Don't do it.
>>
>>2225432
>"pet" wolf
its called a domestic dog
>>
>>2225475
Wolf and wolf hybrid rescues are so full that they have to routinely euthanize them. You should adopt one so they don't have to get a bullet in their head.

Also they would have to be seperated from the dog when unsupervised.
>>
>>2225432
Jesus fuckin Christ, THIS thread again. Should just be a sticky explaining in very small words why this is a stupid fucking idea
>>
>>2225505
The Czech wolf-dogs haven't had wolf introduced in the breed for generations. They are not a wolf dog anymore, they are a dog breed based from a wolf dog hybrid. That's like saying chis are wolf hybrids because they had wolves in them at some point.

Pit bull types are also not even on the same plane of dangerous as wolf hybrids. Pit bulls are prone to DA, wolf hybrids are part wild animal and because of that, much less predictable and much more dangerous.

>>2225507
Probably because they are bad breeders that don't understand animal behavior.

>>2225535
>Species are arbitrary
Wew lad

>>2225553
You know what else looks like wolves? Huskies, Mal's, black shepherds, and mixes of all those. Does that make them wolves too?
>>
>>2225786
ending with "pro tip: drink bleach"
>>
>>2225432
Unless you are prepared to accompany a wolf at all times, and I mean all, don't get a wolf.

They are like kids with ADHD, and can jump or climb any fence, will chew through any rope, gnaw chain or cable til they lose their teeth, and generally be incorrigible, in your absence.

They can tunnel through 6 feet of soil in an hour to get under a fence. They are not tame. They're beautiful, wild animals, and as soon as you're not there to keep them in line, they'll do what they want, which usually is kill and eat somebody elses pets.
>>
>>2225510
Not so. They make shitty pets cuz they are quite able to do all kinds of shit when you're not present.

Hardly anyone has a schedule that lets them have their wolf with them at all times.
>>
>>2225553
So do Malamutes or any other husky. They're a lot smaller, and far more domesticated.

I'm from AK, and have known wolves, and F1 hybrids. They're great companions, but do what they want when you're not there.
>>
>>2225829
The dumb fuck thinks he can provide better care than a zoo for a wolf just Because he has 3 acres and worked with large rescue dogs.
>>
We had an idiot that came to the dog park with a litter of wolf hybrid puppies really low content like 25% max they barely have any wolf look to them. 6 dog park regulars each took one and I've seen most of them pretty regularly for the last 3 years, 3 of them multiple times a week. None of them are really dog like and none of them are particularly trust able . Really only 3 of them are still ok to come to the dog park anymore and one of those just put 4 nice puncture wounds in the head of a lab over a ball. And he is the most goofy friendly one of the bunch, the only one that is alright with strangers and kids. Shit the female one I've been around a ton still doesn't trust me very much. It is very rare she wants me to pet her but she will at least tolerate me doing it. Being around these very low content wolf hybrid has cured me of my wants for one.
>>
>>2225792
>The Czech wolf-dogs haven't had wolf introduced in the breed for generations. They are not a wolf dog anymore, they are a dog breed based from a wolf dog hybrid.
The percenage of wolf genes doesn't change, I already said that. It doesn't change because the dogs are bred inside the breed, there's NO new blood there. To become more doglike they would have to go through a lenghty process of selection like dogs did. And they are not bred to be doglike.

>That's like saying chis are wolf hybrids because they had wolves in them at some point.
No it is not.

>Pit bull types are also not even on the same plane of dangerous as wolf hybrids. Pit bulls are prone to DA, wolf hybrids are part wild animal and because of that, much less predictable and much more dangerous.
Okay, do you have actual data, statistics?

>Species are arbitrary
>Wew lad
Oh, now I see, there's really no point talking to you. It's not that you're stupid, I honestly believe you are not, it's just the lack of education.

>You know what else looks like wolves? Huskies, Mal's, black shepherds, and mixes of all those. Does that make them wolves too?
You clearly don't know what you're talking about. You don't know the differences between a wolf and a dog, and you probably haven't seen either wolves of wolfdogs in life. Huskes or Malamutes, or shepherds, or pretty much any other dogs without wolf blood added in the recent centuries, look NOTHING like wolves compared to how wolfdogs are. For example, when wolves walk and run they put their left and right paws on the same straight line as if they were walking on a tightrope. Dogs don't do that because they learnt to walk on wide paths made by and for humans. Wolfdogs do. Wolves carry their head low, on the line of their shoulders or lower, huskies and other dogs don't. Except for wolfdogs. Wolves' paws differ from most dogs' paws, but not from wolfdogs' paws. The form of the skull, the placement of the ears, wolfdogs share it all with wolves.
>>
>>2225475
>or a wolf-hybrid that has been bred and could potentially go to one of the people you are referring to

Go to a rescue by all means, but don't buy a wolfdog and pretend you're saving it from a potential bad home. If you give someone $1000 for their wolfdog puppy, that's not discouraging them from breeding more, you're doing exactly what they want. They'll either continue breeding more genuine wolfdogs, or they'll continue breeding shitty husky mutts and selling them to gullible dumbfucks as wolf hybrids.

If you're really serious with this idea, look into rescues. You will have to have some well-fenced land and demonstrably good knowledge of handling hybrids, but there are wolfdogs out there that need an appropriate home. Even keeping wolves is entirely possible, it's just that they need to be kept as wild animals and allowed to do normal wolf things and will probably never return your affection to the same degree, but that isn't enough for many people. They want to keep one as their suburban pet that they have a special bond with and which acts like a dog and does normal dog shit, but is somehow inherently cooler and more majestic and noble because it's a wolf.
>>
>>2225432
dumb idea
>>
>Pet Wolf
Enjoy having no life or otherwise getting mauled to death
>Wolf-hybrid
Enjoy having no life or otherwise getting mauled to death

There is a wolf you can own though, it is called a dog. Designed over thousands of years to be at humans side, the dog is the perfect wolf companion that won't take over your life or eventually kill you.
>>
File: poodle50f1.jpg (63KB, 504x409px) Image search: [Google]
poodle50f1.jpg
63KB, 504x409px
>>2225894
How do you think dogs were made? You think dogs were created by breeding wolves to domestic dogs until the wolf was bred out of them retard? Are you third world or something?

Pit bull types, as in the American Pit bull terrier and Staffordshire Bull Terrier, are well known for DA in their genes and the breeders even admit it. It doesn't make them a bad dog and if you deny that they are more prone to DA you should not be owning one or speaking for the breed. People like you are why the vast majority of the population hates out bull types

http://www.aspca.org/about-us/aspca-policy-and-position-statements/position-statement-pit-bulls

https://www.petfinder.com/pet-adoption/exotic-pets/case-against-hybrids/

I get it, you're one of the 'the earth is flat, scientist planted Dino bones to mess with the population' sort of people

What you heard about wolf dogs sound like silly little myths. Picture related, wolf dogs where 2/3 are holding head high and not walking in a straight line. Doesn't look like your average wolf either, ears are set relatively high instead of medium, they have quite a pronounced stop. I think you hear about wolf dogs from captioned pictures on Facebook.
>>
>>2225954
>How do you think dogs were made?
By selection. I actually wrote that several times.

>You think dogs were created by breeding wolves to domestic dogs until the wolf was bred out of them retard?
Wut? Just what gave you this idea?

>Pit bull types, as in the American Pit bull terrier and Staffordshire Bull Terrier, are well known for DA in their genes and the breeders even admit it.
Yeah okay, when did I deny it?

>People like you
What the fuck are you talking about? Do you have hallucinations or something? Because I never said anything like that, you moron.

>I get it, you're one of the 'the earth is flat, scientist planted Dino bones to mess with the population' sort of people
I don't even know what to say at this point. Did you take your medicine today?

>What you heard about wolf dogs sound like silly little myths.
What I know about the CzW comes from my experience with the dog that I know and from what her owners say.

>Picture related
Oh, what a surprise, the result depends on the dog breed, who would have thought! All the hybrid breeds that I know of, including the Czechoslovakian wolfdog, are mixes of wolf with German shepherds, a breed that is already somewhat wolflike in appearance. Also, as I already said, the wolfdog is not bred to be doglike, the wolf traits were cultivated in the breed when it was invented and they are a part of the breed standard, the part of the breed. They don't go away.

Now I will add that the wolfdog that I know can't be used for breeding because she has cocked ears and her back is a little bit too long. Due to this, and especially in summer when her coat is thin, someone who doesn't know much about wolves indeed could think that a Husky, for example, looks more like a wolf than her. But if you know what a wolf looks like, or better yet how a wolf moves, you will clearly see that that dog has wolf blood in her (and personally, I guessed it because of the movement when I didn't even know that there was such a breed).
>>
>>2225978
>hybrid breeds that I know of, including the Czechoslovakian wolfdog
just shut the fuck up and accept that this breed is not a wolf hybrid
Maybe the first few were hybrids, but not anymore

A few anons before have explained it pretty good, And I would also only call it hybrid until maybe F3
>>
>>2225978
Well so we're Czech wolf dogs. You suggested that because czech wolf dogs were bred for many generations with other Czech wolf dogs, that they are not dogs but wolf dogs because they were never out bred to dog dogs. Your words not mine. We bred wolves to other wolves; we could not breed wolves to dogs because we didn't have dogs yet. Yet, we made wolves into dogs without the help of outcrossing the wolves into dogs. Why can't the same happen with czech wolf dogs?

The fact that I just had to fucking explain that makes me think you're under age.

You quoted me
>>Pit bull types are also not even on the same plane of dangerous as wolf hybrids. Pit bulls are prone to DA, wolf hybrids are part wild animal and because of that, much less predictable and much more dangerous.
>Okay, do you have actual data, statistics?

It's not my fault if you can't properly convey your thoughts with words.

Your last point is just denial which I honestly expected
>It's only a wolfdog when I say it's a wolf dog!
You say all wolf dogs do X, I prove you wrong, and you back it up with insults. You can't even keep track of what you are saying. It's almost like you don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>2225894
>The percenage of wolf genes doesn't change

It's what genes are selected for, anon. Czech wolfdogs are an established breed with established traits that were selected for and stabilised and fixed within the breed a long time ago. The purpose of the crossbreeding was to create a dog that had many of the physical traits of wolves but the temperament of a dog. It was a controlled breeding programme that selected for trainability and temperament until they achieved their aims and bred out the undesirable wolflike characteristics and preserved just those they wanted.

That is not in any way comparable to the typical wolfdog hybrid. Most hybrids are by nature unpredictable, and can have any mixture of wolflike and doglike characteristics, and they're rarely the result of controlled multi-generational breeding. You buy a Czech wolfdog, you have a good idea what you're getting, you buy a random wolfdog hybrid, you're not getting an animal that's been selected for good temperament, high trainability and low timidity. It might be fine, it could even act like a placid old lab, but chances are pretty good it won't.
>>
>>2225999
>We bred wolves to other wolves; we could not breed wolves to dogs because we didn't have dogs yet.
Wow. I don't really understand one thing. Are you pretending to be retarded? Okay, I'll explain, I don't know why am I doing this, but I'll explain. There's this thing called selection. It's when you take the animals that exibit the traits you want and breed them, and you don't breed the animals that exibit the traits you don't want. It's like natural selection, only it's not natural, it's artificial. That's how we got dogs. We bred wolves to be friendly, loyal and useful to us, they also changed in appearance and behaviour. That's how dogs appeared. Is this clear?

>Why can't the same happen with czech wolf dogs?
Because they are not bred to be more doglike. They were bred to be loyal and friendly enough to be trainable and to serve humans, and the people who bred them eventually, at some point, decided that they are happy with what they have, both in terms of appearance and behaviour. They wrote what is called the breed standard. It's a document that organizations like FCI tell you to write if you want your breed to be recognized. In this document you should write what traits you find acceptable and desirable in your breed and what traits you find undesirable or unacceptable, so that your breed can keep its essectial traits and stay in essence what you intended it to be. So when a Czech wolfdog puppy is born that is too doglike for the breed inventors' taste, it probably won't be qualified for breeding.

>It's not my fault if you can't properly convey your thoughts with words.
What did I convey wrong? We were talking about wolfdogs, I asked you to provide statistics for wolfdog attacks. I didn't have such statistics, and my experience is limited to one dog that happens to be the sweetest thing alive.

>Your last point is just denial
Where do you see denial, and what exactly do I deny? I was talking about CzW from the beginning if you didn't notice.
>>
>>2225992
>just shut the fuck up and accept that this breed is not a wolf hybrid
Why would I do that if the breed is a hybrid breed?

>Maybe the first few were hybrids, but not anymore
Yet again, the portion of wolf genes and wolflike traits, as well as the portion of dog genes and doglike traits DOESN'T CHANGE with time. You can argue that the portion is too small in the breed in general, but you can't argue that it has become too small with time, okay? Is this too hard to get? Now if you say that it's too small in general, then I won't really agree with you anyway, but that's just an opinion.

>>2226032
>It's what genes are selected for, anon. Czech wolfdogs are an established breed with established traits that were selected for and stabilised and fixed within the breed a long time ago.
That's my point exactly.

>That is not in any way comparable to the typical wolfdog hybrid.
Okay, but since my first post in this thread >>2225438 I've been talking about wolf-dog hybrid breeds like the Czechoslovakian wolfdog or the Saarloos wolfdog or other similar breeds. Read the thread. My points are that 1) CzWs are wolflike enough, and OP said he's okay with a hybrid, and knowing a CzW I think he'd be okay with it; 2) they are also doglike enough to be adopted by experienced dog owners.
>>
>>2226079
>So when a Czech wolfdog puppy is born that is too doglike
>so when a dog is born too doglike

Anon

The dog

Is a dog

It's not a wolf hybrid anon

If you're so set on getting a wolf, and you won't admit that the Czech wolfdog isn't a hybrid, just get a Czech wolfdog. You can continue living in your masturbatory fantasy, and we can all be satisfied knowing that one less retard owns a wolf he's not prepared for.

I call this one a win-win, lads. Thread over, everyone go home
>>
>>2226099
Did you read the thread? I'm not OP. I don't want a wolf, or a wolfdog or anything.

>It's not a wolf hybrid anon
For fuck's sake, it's a hybrid breed. I don't know, maybe your definition of a wolf-dog hybrid is different from most people's definition, if that's the case, don't confuse other people. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wolf-dog_hybrids
>>
>>2226108
Lol. German shepherd is on that list. Do you consider GSDs wolf hybrids too, anon?
>>
>>2226113
Lol, I didn't see it there. While they indeed used some wolf blood for breeding the German shepherd back in the XIX century, no, personally, I wouldn't call it a hybrid breed. It's just not wolflike enough and it's been bred for loyalty and working qualities for 150 years.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.