[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grasshopper

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 33454348_792a7ad514_z.jpg (20KB, 500x324px) Image search: [Google]
33454348_792a7ad514_z.jpg
20KB, 500x324px
I was coming home from the store after dark and there was a big fucking bright green grasshopper on my kitchen door
It's not uncommon to see moths because i leave my kitchen light on if it's dark and im running out for only a few minutes, but i've never seen a big bug like a hopper. I tried to shoo it off my door with a broom on my deck, so it didn't get in my house, and it flew at me directly, even when i turned out of it's way to back off.
I have two questions
1) why was the Grasshopper there? is it attracted to light or moths?
2) why did it fly at me? was it trying to fight back, thinking i was going to kill it, or was it some defense mechanism?
>>
>>2223392
nigga that's a katydid

grasshoppers don't have those long antennae and cricket-like legs
>>
>>2223472
Nigga i grabbed this off the internet under grasshoppers
>>
>>2223392
Hell naw to the naw naw naw
>>
>>2223392
Maybe he thought you were some sort of landing or tree that he could get leverage on? Hard to say but could you get a picture of it? If it truly was a grasshopper it was not doing a defense nor was it preying on the moths.
>>
>>2223667
If i see it again, i will. It was middle of the night and my only light source was my kitchen light (french doors)
I tried to shoo it with a broom on my deck by the way, and then it flew at me.
Are hoppers attracted to light?
>>
>>2223672
They are. Also if that image you posted is correct you saw a katydid, not a grasshopper. And those are mostly carnivorous, so it was probably trying to get at some moths.
Also it jumped at you because they just jump when they are disturbed, that is their primary defense reflex. If something scary happens they just jump as far as they can, direction doesn't really matter, it just happened to land on you.
Also they're harmless, stop being a pussy.
>>
>>2223679
I just googled bright green grasshopper, that didn't look like it other than color.
That said i just moved to the american south and am new to large bugs like that fucker was, he was the size of a cockroach
>>
>>2223685
Katydids in North America are the size+ of an American Cockroach. You could've just seen a bright green grasshopper.
>>
>>2223695
Then it might have been a katydid. do they fly like a hopper?
>>
Katydid. Pretty much all insects are attracted to light to some extent, even diurnal ones.

Insects do not actively attack people. Is this your first time going outside?
>>
>>2223814
I'm from way up north, we don't get big bugs like that. I just moved to the south
>>
>>2223685
Its gonna be a bumpy ride my friend.
The bugs in the south are extreme.

I've seen a couple of beetles like pic related.
I found on whose mandibles were so large I could see them from 10 feet away.
>>
File: buseymouth.gif (419KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
buseymouth.gif
419KB, 200x200px
>>2223555
i laughed really hard for some reason

>select squares with airplane
>entire image is airplane
>>
At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if OP finds out he actually saw a mantis
>>
>>2223685
I also live in the South and have been finding large katydids in/near my garage. They're really nbd man.

On that note, prepare to see huge dragon flies (giant darner), robber flies (looks kind of like a giant mosquito) and big black/yellow argiope spiders (these bros only stay outside luckily, never found one in a house).
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.