[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 10

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Science diet vs. blue buffalo?
Just left the vet for the first time and I was convinced prior that blue buffalo was better. The vet said that SD was better, and gave us a free couple pound bag of it to try out.

My brother and I are debating back and forth. Anyone have any advice?

Pic related is pupper
>>
I don't know which one is really better but your vet was probably influenced by SD. Thats why they can afford to give you a few pounds of it free.

That being said either one is really fine.
>>
Blue Buffalo spends tons of money on marketing to people who want "natural" food. Hills does actual research in veterinary nutrition. Take your pick.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2222856
>>2222848
All my vet said was how blue buffalo just markets really hard and lacks vitamin a&D along with their large amount of recalls.

She didn't say much beyond that, nothing like "science diet will make your large dog into a small horse" or bullshit fairy tale stuff
>>
neither... Science diet is all filler, blue buffalo is notorious for giving them the shits... go with Taste of the Wild

source: vet tech and service dog trainer
>>
>>2223045
TOTW is better? Should I just go buy 1lb bags of all of this and see what won't give my dog diarrhea or whatever.

Also; he got his shots and just won't eat. It's a little frustrating but expected.
>>
My friend is studying to be a vet and swears by science diet. He wouldn't try and tell me to do anything less than the best for my dog, but I'm pretty sure both schools he's been in have been sponsored by Hills.

He nags me about how dogs are totally adapted to eating corn by now but nah. I also feed taste of the wild. Blue buffalo gave my puppy the shits like you wouldn't believe.
>>
>>2223062
My dudes got shits right now. By the way, my vet is my universities vet school. It's pretty top notch, Louisiana State University plus students get a 10% discount.

Student vets are backed by a pretty senior vet(s). I've only had 1 sentence that a vet student said once that disagreed with, she said she would fact check, and she agreed that I was right (kingsnakes and heating lamps or some bullshit that I said was wrong). It's a pretty decent deal and they really like to go the extra mile and make sure the students are accidentally killing their animals
>>
>>2223045
What fillers are in science diet?
>>
I want to get into carting and dryland mushing with my doggo. Is there a kind of harness I can get that will work for both?

Does anyone have any suggestions on a particular brand of harness or a single harness or a carting or mushing harness?
>>
>>2222823
Can i feed my dog baked chicken instead of boiled chicken? no seasoning ofc.
>>
Science Diet is a garbage dog food. Blue buffalo is a bit better.

>Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Whole Grain Wheat, Whole Grain Corn, Whole Grain Sorghum, Cracked Pearled Barley, Whole Grain Oats, Pork Fat, Dried Beet Pulp, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Oil, Lactic Acid, Pork Flavor, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Iodized Salt, Choline Chloride, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), L-Lysine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, Oat Fiber, L-Carnitine, Mixed Tocopherols for freshness, Natural Flavors, Beta-Carotene, Apples, Broccoli, Carrots, Cranberries, Green Peas.

Brown rice? whole grain wheat? whole grain corn (indigestible to dogs)? sorghum? oats? barley? when does it end?
>corn gluten meal
red alert for shit dog food.

It has all those vitamins because they use shit ingredients so the vitamins aren't in the fucking ingredients. It's trash. Any and every brand you can buy in places like wal-mart or target is trash.
>>
>>2223225
Now let's look at a GOOD dog food. This is Acana (one of the best brands) duck and pear formula which my dog is currently eating.

>Duck meal, deboned duck*, green lentils, red lentils, duck liver*, pears*, duck fat, green peas, yellow peas, algae, garbanzo beans, pumpkin*, carrots*, freeze-dried duck liver, kelp, chicory root, ginger root, peppermint leaf, lemon balm, mixed tocopherols (preservative), dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.
*DELIVERED FRESH OR RAW

Which one of those looks better to you?

If you love your dog, feed a highest-quality brand. Period. Otherwise you're feeding them trash. It comes out to the difference of like 75 cents a day vs 1.50 a day for my dog. Not a hard decision.
>>
>>2223228
It's not about the money to me. It's about everyone having ridiculous conflicting answers.

Buy A!
Don't buy A!
Buy B!
Only idiots and shit owners buy B!!
My dog was raised on C and lived to 2000 years old!!
>>
>>2223232
answers don't matter. science matters.

If a dog can't digest whole corn, WHY IS CORN IN THE FOOD? AND THEN CORN GLUTEN MEAL, AKA BASICALLY WHITE SUGAR? WHY?

http://dogfoodproject.com

educate yourself-- with science -- and then probably buy acana if money doesn't matter.

Precise is also very good, but my store no longer stocks it.
>>
The larger and more widely distributed a brand is, the less they care about customers (your dog) and the more they care about profits.

This is true for every single type of product that exists. So with dog food it's a pretty easy rule. If you can buy it in a grocery store or big box store, it's probably trash.
>>
>>2223233
Okay man, I'm literally just going off of my research conflicting with my vet's statements that conflict with online statements that conflict with everything else.
>>
>>2223241
The vet gets paid by the brand. Period. The exact same shit happens with human doctors. It's part of the reason why so many medicines are overprescribed. They get directly paid to sell you on it and it is not illegal.

read dogfoodproject. Everything you could possibly need is there. And then, if you are smart, buy a food like Acana or Precise or TOTW.
>>
Just found out my cat has some tooth resorption...going to have to take her to the vet ASAP possibly get some teeth pulled....

Ive heard that animal dentists are pretty hit or miss. Is this true? How can i find out which ones are worth a damn?
>>
File: dogefood.jpg (137KB, 1136x819px) Image search: [Google]
dogefood.jpg
137KB, 1136x819px
Alright now you guys are having me worry.

The breeder said she used this brand for her dogs and it's really good, so just to be consistent I just decided to order an 35lbs bag when I brought the puppy home.

Now something that makes me a little suspicious is that you can sign up to be a salesmen in a pyramid like scheme. The breeder is also the service rep for my area. Now her dogs were really healthy and it didn't seem like anything was wrong.

However I'm retarded and I don't know anything about dog food am I'm just making sure this is sufficient (it seems like it from my limited knowledge).

>pic related for people who don't want to follow the link.

http://www.lifesabundance.com/Pets/Puppy/PuppyFoodLargeBreed.aspx?realname=&cat=0&hdr=&Ath=False&Category=LargeBreedPuppyFood_v11%28Pet_Base%29
>>
How does an feel able merrick? I've been thinking about switching my puppies food to it.
>>
>>2223266
Despite what people on a Tanzanian rope -braiding board might lead you to believe, it's pretty hard to read your pet's mind and because of that, it can be difficult to really know how much your dog is affected by its diet unless it's causing/relieving physically observable symptoms(excessive shedding, diarrhea, allergies, dental damage).
Dogs love food in general and will eat mostly anything you give them. My dad's Weimaraner ate pedigree her entire life and lived till 13 with minimal health issues. I wouldn't ever feed my dog that crap, but it works.
Keep your dog on its puppy food for awhile or it will shit itself. After that, follow your gut. You have access to all of the ingredient info.
>>
>>2223266
>Now something that makes me a little suspicious is that you can sign up to be a salesmen in a pyramid like scheme

run the other direction. when you smell shit, it smells like shit for a reason. your intuition is correct. NO good brand operates this way and i would be EXTREMELY skeptical about the quality of the food or if the ingredients list even represents the actual ingredients.

On the other hand...Salt? Taurine? Fucking TAURINE?

dogfoodproject.com read learn buy good brand the end. for the third time.
>>
>>2223273
She is very happy and when I've brought her to the vet for her shots, she does say that she's in great health. She has also has healthy firm stools so I take that as a good sign.Once this bag starts running low I'll look at some other options.

>>2223277
>run the other direction. when you smell shit, it smells like shit for a reason
The one thing I will give her is that they offer supplements and I asked if they're worth it and she told me "honestly no, there's no reason to do additional supplementation unless a vet says there's a vitamin or mineral deficiency" so she wasn't try to get me to buy more, and like I said she feeds her dogs the food and the pregnant ones the puppy food, and obviously the puppies the puppy food.

Now I don't see a problem with salt unless it's too much, as for taurine, I'm simply not educated enough to know anything about it other than they put it in energy drinks. Whether it's good or bad and it's effects, I am completely cluless.

I'll definitely keep that website in mind though when I start running low. I have been adding maybe a little more than a teaspoon of wet food to encourage the puppy to eat all of the food in one sitting so I'll check it out for wet food. And no I don't mean all of the recommended amount, I have been taking care to split her meals up to 4 times a day.
>>
>>2223277
Alright this clears up the whole Taurine thing.

It should be fine, assuming that I'm not being rused by the company and they're not just selling dirt cakes shaped like kibble.
>>
>>2223290
http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/cardiovascular/c_dg_taurine_deficiency

Forgot link
>>
>>2223291
>>2223290
No, it doesn't clear it up, because if the food used quality ingredients every amino acid would be found in abundance in the ingredients.

Do not buy pyramid scam food once it's gone. Stuff like that is made by people who value money above all else. I doubt the ingredients list is accurate, I really do. It's probably made of cheap filler shit.

btw "their dogs looked happy" is meaningless. Almost all dogs always look happy and fine. Doesn't mean their nutrition is optimal.
>>
>>2223292
taurine is listed on the nutritional analysis, not as an ingredient

I never said "her dogs seemed happy" I mean they did and were pretty friendly dogs, and very sociable, but they seemed healthy. I'm not a vet and don't have some kind of sixth sense when it comes to dogs, but I can at least say I didn't notice anything off about them, which would lead to me to say they looked healthy.

What I said earlier is that my puppy is happy, and the vet hasn't told me anything is wrong with her and that she's in great health.
>>
>>2223302
>taurine is listed on the nutritional analysis, not as an ingredient

same exact thing in this case, anon
>>
>>2222823
Vets get money for selling science diet, sooooo
>>
>>2223375
I've heard that, but I've also heard that to be a myth so I don't know honestly. I've heard it's all a huge global conspiracy
>>
>>2223533
>all signs point toward something being true
>"I've heard that to be a myth"

at some point you have to stop and start thinking on your own, anon.

People here, that know, are directly telling you the facts (which are not in dispute). Why did you come here to ask for advice and then reject the advice? People always do this and it's fucking infuriating. Fuck off and go feed your dog Iam's for all I care.
>>
File: 580_2D00_sally_2D00_labs.jpg (36KB, 580x435px) Image search: [Google]
580_2D00_sally_2D00_labs.jpg
36KB, 580x435px
>>2222856
>science diet
>>
>>2223533
>I've heard it's all a huge global conspiracy
It is, when you get your pet cremated it's actually given to the reptilian overlords as feed and what they give you in return is actually just ash from the ash tray at Ralph's
>>
>>2223545
>People here, that know, are directly telling you the facts
I'm not arguing for or against, but I would say that there is a good chance of a conflict of interest.

How about you actually provide a source instead of saying "it's a fact" like a retarded parrot. Just because a bunch of people on a Tibetan tire burning forum say something fact doesn't make it fact.
>>
>>2223545
I'm not rejecting your statements though. The consensus on this seems nonexistent. This is worse than picking a fucking graphics card.
>>
>>2223554
just feed whatever keeps you dogs poops small, firm, and minimally smelly

for your own sake

that's going to be something grain free more likely
>>
>>2223557
Absolutely. So I will continue to feed him his blue buffalo puppy food. It seems his poops are firming up but they are initially straight fucking liquid.
>>
>>2223554
learn to operate without consensus. once again.

you are so used to the internet telling you what to do, you are afraid to and incapable of evaluating evidence and making your own decisions. it's honestly pathetic.

you were told which brands to buy, you were told a website that explains EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE INGREDIENT you would find in dog food, which you said you would read "later" (you will not ever read it) and now you're just shitposting making your thread go on longer and longer for attention.

get the fuck out. go read the fucking website and don't come back until you've read it. THE ANSWERS ARE THERE. YOU DON'T NEED CONSENSUS WHEN YOU HAVE THE ANSWERS IN FRONT OF YOUR FUCKING FACE.
>>
>>2223561
>(you will not ever read it)
He's not the same anon. I did start going through some of it last night, and I should feel like a terrible human being for not reading the entire thing at 11 at night, and rushing to a decision about new food to buy.
>>
>>2223533
It's not really a thing in strong welfare countries. Also they don't really have rich doctors. Coincidence?
>>
>>2222823
>Science diet
>free couple pounds

Your vet is shilling science diet because they're paying him to.

Science diet is pretty much ass.

Check out this site: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

It reviews a shit load of pet foods and breaks them down by ingredients.

When you see carbs at a 2 to 1 ratio, like some science diets products, you know the food is ass.
>>
>>2223062
>He nags me about how dogs are totally adapted to eating corn by now but nah.

Your friend is a fucking idiot.
>>
>>2223605
Dog food advisor isn't written by a vet, it's by a human dentist with no experience in veterinary nutrition.
>>
>>2223614
Fucking VETS don't have experience in veterinary nutrition....which is why the recommend shit like science diet.
>>
>>2223561
Sorry for wanting other people's opinions. i don't want your attention
>>
>>2223232
Heres some more advice:

I dont have any dogs now, but i lived with my trashy ass family until i was 20. We had like 9 dogs and a few cats, we literally fed them the bottom of the barrel shit, and only 2 died early and thats because they got hit by cars. Some of those animals are still around too.

Now i personally believe that you should feed the best dog food you can afford for your pets. But you arent some monster if you cant feed the highest end shit either.
>>
>>2223060
continuously changing your dog's food will give him the shits.

>>2223225
>when does it end?
when you explain why those ingredients are worse than the ingredients in the "good" dog food instead of saying "Which looks better?"

>>2223637
so nobody knows what they're talking about?
>>
>>2223225
Walmart and grocery stores have stepped up on their pet food. Still not the best but finally you can get something other than friskies and ole roy type shit.
>>
>>2223788
Im the OP, thats my original issue and concern. Doctors seem to not be so corrupt that they will willingly sell you bullshit that is bad for you. The conspiracy of 'Vets are in bed with the food companies to kill your dog with shitty food' is a concerning thought. My only issue is that individuals who frequently have no or very little college education are the ones purporting this online. If a vet. nutritionist stepped forward and said that one food reigned supreme, I'll believe it.

But the issue of, no vets "being educated" and all the people online being educated makes no sense to me.
>>
>>2223788
>so nobody knows what they're talking about?

Specifically concerning "pet foods"?

Not really.

Vet schools don't teach much about nutrition in general, and they sure as hell don't teach much about pet food, specifically. Who says? Vets do. That's why a lot of the people that started looking into raw food diets for pets were practicing vets that found most of the pets fed raw foods were actually healthier than those fed "pet foods".

Hell, the entire idea of "pet foods" didn't even originate until about 100 years ago, and before that, pets were fed scrap meats, and table scraps.

Dogs and cats, alike, are designed to eat meat, as their teeth and short intestinal tracts clearly demonstrate. They aren't designed to eat veggies and carbs, and they don't produce the enzymes that help break them down the way we do. In the wild, they get their veggies and carbs from the stomach or intestinal tract of something they've killed, and that's been partially digested. So with this in mind, you've got to wonder why "pet foods" can contain more than 50% veggie products, despite the fact that dogs and cats don't eat that shit in the wild, and can't digest it properly.
>>
>>2223818
>have the information available to you
>not intelligent enough to evaluate it

i'll never know what it's like to be like you, and i'm so grateful for that
>>
File: 1461208001977.png (17KB, 389x470px) Image search: [Google]
1461208001977.png
17KB, 389x470px
>>2223848
>Dogs and cats, alike, are designed to eat meat, as their teeth and short intestinal tracts clearly demonstrate. They aren't designed to eat veggies and carbs, and they don't produce the enzymes that help break them down the way we do.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v495/n7441/full/nature11837.html

Thanks for the keks m80.
>>
>>2223881
>the idea is everyone (who is professionally trained to care for animals) is biased for their own economic gain despite what may or may not be good
>trust some random person who made a website online!

do you see why a normal human, especially someone professionally trained might be apprehensive about that?
>>
File: Get in the boat.jpg (12KB, 297x170px) Image search: [Google]
Get in the boat.jpg
12KB, 297x170px
>>2223905
>dogs and cats weren't designed to eat meat

You rode in pic related to get to school, didn't you, snowflake...
>>
File: cute bunny.png (807KB, 750x1031px) Image search: [Google]
cute bunny.png
807KB, 750x1031px
>>2223976
>couldn't bother to argue the fact dogs evolved to eat starch
>makes a strawman and an ad hominem
>>
>>2223981
>couldn't bother to argue against the fact that dogs and cats have the teeth and digestive tract of a carnivore
>uses stupid high school debate terms and tactics in a vain attempt to avoid looking like the tard they truly are
>>
File: Damage control.jpg (109KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
Damage control.jpg
109KB, 650x650px
>>2223993
>"The genomic signature of dog domestication reveals adaptation to a starch-rich diet"
>"Our results indicate that novel adaptations allowing the early ancestors of modern dogs to thrive on a diet rich in starch"

Logically fallacies are "highschool debate terms"

Yeah, we are done here.
>>
>>2223997
>Logically fallacies are "highschool debate terms"
Not him, but they kinda are. Unless you're discussing formal logic, there is no need or reason to constantly be "logically coherent".

I bet you also use "define x", not to actually win debates, but to temporarily stall your opponent.
>>
>thinks animals would have to "adapt" to a starch-rich diet, or any other diet, if they were supposed to eat it in the first place.

Yea, we're done here cupcake.
>>
>>2222823
>The vet said that SD was better, and gave us a free couple pound bag of it to try out.
kickbacks you dip
harmless compared to when doctors do this with prescriptions
>>
File: retard_cat.jpg (30KB, 626x353px) Image search: [Google]
retard_cat.jpg
30KB, 626x353px
>>2224012
>doesn't know how to quote
>doesn't understand adaptation
>>
>>2223045
>go with Taste of the Wild
made by the same people who make Diamond which is basically the same thing but with less exotic proteins(beef, chicken, etc instead of shit like bison and boars)
Diamond costs like half the price
>>
>>2224023
You can find it at Tractor supply Co. if you have any near you btw, I think costco and maybe sam's club also carry it.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.