[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aq/ - Aquarium General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 85

File: image.jpg (171KB, 400x362px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
171KB, 400x362px
Predator edition

Continued from:
>>2219494

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size
-parameters
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

FAQ Section:

>How to handle algae, snails, lighting, easy plants for beginners, substrate choices, youtube-channels etc:

http://pastebin.com/mCaEhYiA

Links:
>How to cycle your tank: http://pastebin.com/x4WnB0Ah
>General aquarium care sheets - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/
>Livestock and plants for sale - http://www.petsolutions.com/ http://www.aquabid.com
>Useful & Extensive database for aquatic plants and their parameters - http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
>FUCKING GOOGLE
>>
>>2221968

That fishy reminds me of the deep sea shark thing with the jaw that shoots forward when it bites.
>>
File: 20160530_120751.jpg (634KB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160530_120751.jpg
634KB, 4128x2322px
Hey all, I really want to say something. Every now and then, I'd post my mudskipper tank in his beautiful 20 gallon. But for most of his life I neglected him. I put him in a 10 gallon tank with about a gallon and a half of water with a screen top and a bubbler for a filter.

I was so embarrassed of that tank, I never really took any pictures of him. But going through my hard drive I found pic related. I honestly want to say to all beginner aquarium hobbyists that if you want your fish happy, give them a nice home. Because my mudskipper went from barely noticeable as a fish to this(this video was made minutes after I introduced him to his new tank)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qh0_thlu7Y

In a very short time. All fish have an intriguing personality, give them what they deserve.
>>
File: CKzsAAEVEAAilRO.png (171KB, 600x432px) Image search: [Google]
CKzsAAEVEAAilRO.png
171KB, 600x432px
>>2221821
>they have simple minds
Wow anon, I bet you're a charmer with the ladies!
>>2221953
My biggest concern if something dies in my tank is the massive fuckup it'll be to my water parameters.
>>
>>2222062
That's really nice anon :') thanks for sharing.
>>
Hello folks.

I have a 10 Gallon Aquarium with an AquaClear 20 filter and a Max 3 Prefilter.

The tank has 2 Tiger Nerite Snails, 1 Panda Cory, and 7 Cherry Red Shrimps.

It also has Eco-Complete substrate with Petco black sand over it in most areas. A piece of Malaysian driftwood and a bunch of background plants.

Question is, what kind of carpet plant should I add, and what other fish can I stock the tank with?

I'm thinking about adding 2 more Panda Corys and 6 Neon Tetras.

Is that alright?
>>
>>2222073
In my opinion add more corys. People think corys can live in small groups like otos. But, they like to school big time! I've seen videos in the amazon where an entire sandbed is covered in a school of corys.

Also, look for a showpiece fish. A german blue ram might push it, but look for killifish. They're an underrated group of fish closely related to livebearers.
>>
>>2222080
So 3 pandas won't do? how about 5?

I'm going for neons because I've been told that they won't harass my shrimp.

1 Panda Cory
2 Tiger Nerite Snails
7 Shrimps

Is what I got right now after upgrading to the 10 gallon.

5 Pandas
2 Snails
7 Shrimps
and what else?
>>
>>2222083
Ehhhhh, I'd add one more to be safe. 5 imo is pushing it. Almost any fish will harass cherries at least once. But, you can have a schooling group of tetras and a showpiece species as well. Like a dwarf gourami, or an American flagfish. But that's up to you.

Though, a good idea is to get a colony going for your cherries.

OH, I almost forgot. You can get a couple of amano shrimps. They're big, and fun to watch!
>>
Found a 40 gallon breeder a bit ago in petcos dumpster. Nothing wrong with it and held water. What are some cool fish to put in it? I already have a tank with Asian species. I was thinking South American or African. Or maybe a native tank.
>>
>>2222089
I've always wanted to go pet shop dumpster diving but I can never understand why they throw that stuff away. What could be wrong with it?
>>
>>2222087
Oh neat!

6 Pandas it is, my little guy's been alone for a long time and has been getting along with the shrimp very well. They walk on him and share his sinking waffers. Never seen him harassing the shrimp.

The shrimp I've had for around 6 weeks, no signs of them wanting to breed though.

I guess an Amano would be cool to have.
>>
>>2222089
Oi, I remember you.

Personally, I'm a bit biased with setups, because I'm a sucker for natives. But do whatever you feel comfortable with. I mean, it is YOUR tank anon. Surprise us.
>>
>>2222090
This one look lit it was beat up along the trim and has scratches on the bottom glass. Still had the sticker on it besides the barcode. I don't know but it holds water. Petco destroys everything that's electrical and cuts opens bags and pours them all over. Petsmart is better or pet supplies plus.
>>
What are good websites to get fish from?

Also can I grow a full carpet of glossostigma without Co2?
>>
>>2222062
qt as fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhKhGyUnc2E
>>
>own fish store
>have lots of high end security cameras
>animal liberation front takes ALL of my fish
>leaves propaganda behind
they released all them in a river including the salt water fish. All the freshwater fish will be dead soon as temps are in the mid 70s during day and 50s at night. But footage has there faces. People have found a few dead clown fish. They did more harm to them than anything.
>>
I've got a 40 breeder laying around, what's a good larger fish I can house in it? I was thinking of a jack dempsey but after some research they get big quick and I won't have the funds for a 75 for awhile.
>>
>>2222312
Is that legit? You better sue the fuck out of those undeducated dipshits.
>>
>>2222388
Don't worry I will. The charges though they're looking at will put them all in prison for 10 years.
>>
>>2222391
Holy shit any more source on that?
If you haven't already contact fish and game and report them on top of criminal charges. F&G will make everything way worse for them because of "introducing potential invasives and disease"
>>
>>2221968
Why is the topics thumbnail an image of a leaf?
>>
I'm thinking about picking up a ten gallon and starting a planted shrimp tank. I've never had an aquarium more complicated than a basic filtered PetSmart ensemble but people talk about planted tanks as if they're the most difficult thing in the world. Is there really that much to them besides keeping water parameters hospitable and staying on top of care?
>>
>>2222090
The company policy at where I work (Petsmart) is if it has been used, we have to use black sharpie on the tank and throw it away. Sometimes there is nothing wrong with the tank at all. Somebody just decided they didn't need or want it.
>>
File: fish-in-the-sea_o_1558579.jpg (221KB, 680x465px) Image search: [Google]
fish-in-the-sea_o_1558579.jpg
221KB, 680x465px
>>2222155
>>2222388
nice doubles my fishy friends

>>2222102
it grows much slower and not as lush.

>>2222382
three-spot gourami!

>>2222089
native tanks are cooool... where do you live?
>>
File: 1473483594355.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1473483594355.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2222412
it depends on what plants you keep. there's two main schools of planted tanks: high tech and low tech. some people even go no tech. you have to choose suitable equipment, plants, and substrate though. I'm happy to help out.
>>
>>2222412
If you choose simple plants then it is no big deal at all. Aquarium Coop has a lot of amazing videos about plants. If you don't choose complicated plants it won't be complicated.
>>
>>2222421
Hey is that the Aqueon LED hood?
what kind of LED strips are you using
>>
>>2222447
are you making fun of me :<

that is a $15 t8 shop light from lowe's...
>>
>>2222449
no, looked like the aqueon hood from the side.
>>
File: image.jpg (59KB, 559x732px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59KB, 559x732px
>>2222449
>t8
>>
File: 1473915941917.jpg (54KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1473915941917.jpg
54KB, 500x375px
>>2222453
whatever man, my plants look nicer than yours!
>>
File: image.jpg (175KB, 731x630px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
175KB, 731x630px
>>2222449
>>2222453
>not using t12
>>
>>2221968
>dat feel when you realize that fish are real life xenomorphs

H-hold me /aq/...
>>
>>2221412
Thank you! All of those are gorgeous, I copy and pasted them just in case I forget.

Does anyone else know of low maintenance/no co2 fern like plants? Or anything that would go well in an old world forest themed aquarium?
>>
>>2222530
Deez nutz
>>
>>2222408
Look closer, anon.
>>
>>2222533
Well, I remember seeing someone post a while ago that certain species of pine cone are perfectly safe in aquariums.

So I guess you're not entirely incorrect.
>>
File: 20160920_003549.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160920_003549.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
Is this a common pleco or a bristlenose?
>>
>>2222533
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kWS9U60mNOQ
>>
>>2222540
Looks like a stressed bristle nose.
>>
File: 17mxqoek45zubjpg.jpg (61KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
17mxqoek45zubjpg.jpg
61KB, 636x358px
>>2222507
You could also say they're a real life predator too.
>>
Betta fish didn't eat his food today, but he did keep on chewing on a leaf while I was trying to feed him and spitting it back out before grabbing it again.

Is he just being an asshole or is there something wrong with him? Was planning on fasting him tomorrow and feeding him the next day, he should be hungry by then.
>>
What kind of cleanup crew do you guys usually go with for planted aquariums? I'm planning on having a school of 5 neon tetras, 5 endler guppies, 1 dwarf gourami, and maybe 3 peacock gudgeons. For a 20 gallon long.
>>
File: IMG_20160920_101222.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160920_101222.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>2222665
I was thinking of also getting some clams for filtration once I get some fine substrate in here. Anyone have experience with those?
>>
>>2222665
corys and plecos are the classic cleanups. a bunch of kuhli loaches also works, but you better give those some roots or coconut shells to hide under
>>
>>2222665
Get a few amano shrimp, and a some algae eater fish like:

Panda Garra
Siamese Algae Eater
Bristlenose Pleco
American Flagfish
Otocinclus
>>2222667
I don't know much about freshwater clams like that, but I do know the filterfeeding clams do not last long. They'll take out all plankton in a few hours and then starves themselves to death. And I do believe I heard that freshwater species have the same niche. I'd wait for the substrate to settle.
>>
>>2222671
I meant to say the saltwater filter feeding clams don't last long.
>>
>>2222671
>>2222670
20 gallon is too small for most species.

I add my cleanup as it becomes a problem. some of those species need a constant supply of algae.
>>
>>2222672
>>2222670
I'll get some shrimp for now and add Cory once the substrate is a bit more established, since it seems like the most peaceful fish. I'll avoid clams, sound like a hassle.
Thanks guys.
How many Cory should I add? Do they need a school?
>>
>>2221968
What are sine big non agressive fish I can keep with guppys? I have 250 liter tank
>>
>>2222698
Got any pics of the tank?
>>
>>2222698
I mean, a smaller pleco definitely, and Silver dollars(liveaquaria states their min tank size is 30 gal, about half of what you have).

And we need what >>2222702 said.
>>
>>2222702
sorry no. might take some tho
>>
I'm a wagecuck so I don't have a whole lot of money to spend. How many lbs do you guys think would be good to get a decent aquascape for my 65g reef tank? I was thinking 40lbs may be good for a decent, minimalist approach. But it is a taller tank so maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy the full 60lbs.
>>
>>2222667
They can be a pain since they eat small particles in the water. You have to make sure they are fed.
>>
what are some cool fish that are like the blue eyed pleco that aren't 500 dollars lol
>>
File: 20160915_232538.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160915_232538.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
20 galling long anon here, fish are comming in today, fuuuuuck I am EXCITED
>>
>>2222421
No tech right now, I have watersprite, anubias nana and java fern, am I fucked?
>>
>>2222667
Stick to amanos and nerite snails for now, in terms of algae.

If thats a 20 you can put in 15 amanos easily and 5 Nerites.

Plecos usually get quite big, even bristlenoses, so their bioload becomes too heavy for smaller tanks. Otocinclus need an established tank, so wait 6 months before you add those.

For the bottom get malaysian trumpet snails, ramshorn snails and corydoras (small-medium species, 7-15 depending on size)

I also like your rock arrangement, only turn of for me is the red/white gravel, but thats just my preference. Keep in mind to vacc it regularly and maybe replace it in the future with something smaller grain for the cories to sift through and easier maintenance.
>>
>>2222797
Not the guy, but I'm into aquascaping. The plants you got are very low demanding and slow growing, get a cfl bulb or two from walmart, make sure its 6500k ish in spectrum - cheapest light you can have, if you can find a small desk lamp fixture.
>>
File: 1474251800602.jpg (41KB, 587x581px) Image search: [Google]
1474251800602.jpg
41KB, 587x581px
Hello /aq/

I'm a college student and i want to get an aquarium for my dorm room. we are capped out at a maximum size tank of 20 gallons. does anyone have a recommendation for what 20 gallon tank is good?

what i want to put into the tank is at least one crayfish, some catfish, some other fish, and live plants, all freshwater.

is there a starter guide i can read up on this? i tried to read the pastebin but it was either moved or deleted.

thanks
>>
File: Paris-Opera-House.jpg (61KB, 639x423px) Image search: [Google]
Paris-Opera-House.jpg
61KB, 639x423px
>>2222813
also, if i have freshwater snails and a crayfish in the same tank, will the crayfish attack/kill the snails over food? thanks again
>>
>>2222813
Crayfish will eat all your fish
>>
>>2222813
Try orange Mexican dwarf crayfish. They small about 1.5 inches
>>
>>2222819
ok thanks

>>2222818
not if my fishes are too fast for the crayfish :^)
>>
File: MosquitoRasbora1.jpg (25KB, 375x300px) Image search: [Google]
MosquitoRasbora1.jpg
25KB, 375x300px
>>2222813
What I always recommend is research. For crays, maybe take a look at planetinverts.com - most bigger crays will snack on your fish, most smaller crays may get along with smaller/medium fish though, like the diminutus, shuffeldtii or patzcuarensis crays - thing is these dwarf crays may still pinch a fin or two, so I would advise to either make a cray only tank (there are stunning crays around, like the cherax pulcher) or instead think about dwarf shrimp, since they are less aggressive towards fish. Neocaridina like the cherries, yellows, white pearls are all cheap and get along with many non aggressive fish. Beware though that most fish may snack on a baby shrimp or two. Only baby shrimp safe fish are otocinclus, dwarf corydoras to some extent and the micro rasboras like boraras brigittae, micro, maculatum etc. - iE. Very small fish.

Also, if you want crays, read up on the specific species behaviour - many bigger crays will dig around your tank, cut plants up and can be territorial if you dont stock and build your tank right.

Pic is the boraras brigittae fish - they get less than an inch
>>
>>2222826
ok thanks, i'm going to take a look at that website.

a couple websites that I've looked at said that a 20 gallon tank would be plenty large enough to keep fish and crayfish inside of, provided that the crayfish is not too large and the fish are larger than the crayfish. is this not the case?

also do you have any info/websites concerning what freshwater aquatic plants i should keep in my tank? you also mentioned setting up a tank in a certain way, is there a right and a wrong way of building up the inside of my tank?

thank you for any help you can give me.
>>
File: 20160920_142507.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160920_142507.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>2222765
GUYS
>>
>>2222830
Flowgrow.de is linked in the op, its an extensive database for plants. You may also wanna check tropica.com - a plant retailer with very in depth information. I have also listed some easy beginner plant species that are low demand in the faq, like echinodorus, javafern, anubias, javamoss and so forth.

I would also advise you to not start with high demand plants, that need high light/High co2 injection and a lot fo nutrients. Rather keep simple plants and make them look good, until you graduate to more complex species.

The 20gal thing with crays and fish getting along is too general. I could see dwarf crays like the ones I listed getting along with peaceful fish like corydoras or kuhli loaches in there, as well as some small rasboras or endler guppies as shoaling fish but certainly not bigger crays, since they will even with good feeding take a snap at a fish or munch on a sleeping one. But before you delve into such 'experiments' I'd rec to either start with crays or fish (or dwarf shrimp) - learn to care for one species, know their behaviour and look how they thrive only then think about introducing another species into your tank (while having a backup - rehoming, second tank etc in mind, if things go wrong).

Also, many crays like to escape their tanks, so make sure its locked tight and has no bigger holes at the back and front.

You should also never do impulse buys, but I think that's a given. Maybe just replicate a well running tank system/stocking that you have seen online or from some local fish/craykeeper. I think experience from local keepers helps the most, since they can't pretend to be experts like people to on the internet that easily. You may find local fishgroups or clubs on facebook
>>
>>2222865
Good luck bro, hope your fish are well. What you got for your tank?
>>
>>2221970
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDU4CQWXaNY
>>
File: 89HANHg.gif (693KB, 339x279px) Image search: [Google]
89HANHg.gif
693KB, 339x279px
>>2222865
OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY!
>>
Solitary fish for a ten gallon? I wasn't thinking Dwarf puffer but I just wanted to know I if there was something else cooler that I missed.
>>
>>2222889
A dwarf/honey/chocolate gourami? I think bettas are already out of the race.
>>
>>2222865
What's in the box?
>>
>>2222922
>>2222879
>>2222875
3 albino cords
1 bumble bee Cory
7 white cloud minnows.

I will be getting more corys buy this is just my first purchase, I just hope they live till I get home tonight. Gonna shoot em in the tank like basketballs
>>
>>2222895
I'm liking the chocolate. Thanks for the recommendation. And just to clarify I meant to say I was looking at dwarf puffers
>>
>>2222830
I forgot the info in regards of tank setup - what I meant is supplying enough places to hide for the crays so they can molt there and let their shell harden, aswell as allowing territory to be broken up via wood/rocks/thick plants, so crays dont constantly look into the other one's territory and get all stressed - like allow them to retreat out of the enemy cray sight.

Pic is btw the cherax pulcher I was talking about. If you make your 20gal cray only tank, you could most def keep this great looking and comparatively easy to care species.
>>
I have a question, I'm redoing my 20 gallon tall planted. It's dismal to say the least, and I need to look for a good substrate for jungle val, ludwigia, and bacopa, and maybe a banana plant. I'm looking at either

Flourite red,
https://www.amazon.com/Flourite-7-kg-15-4-lbs/dp/B00025YSB0/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1474407285&sr=1-3&keywords=eco+complete

or Eco-Complete

https://www.amazon.com/Carib-Sea-Eco-Complete-Planted-Aquarium/dp/B00VVBFFS4/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1474407285&sr=1-2&keywords=eco+complete
>>
>>2222992
Sure. Good luck - on a difficulty scale from 1-10 with 1 being a betta and 5 being a pea puffer, I would classify the chocolate gourami as a 6-7, since they like soft and acidic water and are in general less tolerant to harder water conditions, so think about malaysian driftwood, indian almond leaves, alder cones etc. to keep the water acidic and beware that you may even have to buy a cheap r/o unit to supply soft water. Yet I still think these are great fish and if you are willing to provide the conditions, they are a joy to look at. Beware that the ridiculous low ph values of 3.0-4.0 you may read online only refer to wild caught specimens - if you can get a 6.5 -7.0 any captive bred choc gourami should be fine.
>>
>>2222073
>>2222083
imo just have cories and shrimp.
>>2222415
what does petsmart do about shoplifters. i walked out with an aquaclear 70 the other day lol
>>
>>2223004
I mostly know european substrate brands, but from what I read in the description, the flourite seems to be the better choice.

Seachem is a very established brand in the US and rarely disappoints with their products. Its an innert substrate, doesnt seem to alter water chemistry and due to the porous nature, it's great for roots and bacteria.
>>
>>2222865
jesus wtf did you get
>>
File: Biological Media.jpg (484KB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Biological Media.jpg
484KB, 1400x1400px
Have had a heavily planted 5 gallon tank with 6 amano shrimp and 1 gold Inca snail for a while now, but the idea of filter media still confuses me a bit.

Is it correct that the sponge is the mechanical filter and the ceramic beads are the biological one? If so how often should I be cleaning these two out? The ceramic beads have turned almost completely brown with a coating of brown slime/algae and the filter has slowed down flow as result, but I've also heard you should mess with biological filters and just let them do their thing?

The mechanical sponge filter is currently below the bag of beads.

Thanks guys, the beads look like pic related.
>>
File: IMG_20160920_180823861.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160920_180823861.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
My friend just went ahead and gave me his pregnant guppies and a male. Said he had to many and wanted different fish. How can I ensure they don't cannibalize their babies? What do I feed the babies?
>>
File: mignong60.jpg (84KB, 380x499px) Image search: [Google]
mignong60.jpg
84KB, 380x499px
>>2223022
Should add that this is my filter.

AZOO Mignon Filter 60
>>
File: IMG_0484.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0484.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
Does anyone know what these spots on my tank are? The algae scrubbers won't remove it and my shrimp aren't interested so I'm not sure if it's actually algae?

Is this some with the glass itself? Thanks for any clues guys.
>>
>>2223034
You won't stop them from cannibalizing their babies. It's just how they do things. You just want your tank to be planted enough to allow your babies to hide.

>>2223015
Well, I guess I should try that!
>>
>>2223073
Okay. Do you think these >>2222667 are enough plants for the babies? I found out that the plant petsupermarket sold me isn't actually aquatic (green hedge) so I need to go exchange it for another.
What's a good one for babies?
>>
>>2223083
It's doable, they'll be popping out a LOT of babbies. I wouldn't worry.
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 750x1334px
>>
File: 1402334827957.jpg (11KB, 242x209px) Image search: [Google]
1402334827957.jpg
11KB, 242x209px
>>2223130
>so we shot him
>>
Going to cut out a cover for my aquarium out of some plexiglass i have lying around. Never done a clear cover before, is there anything I need to be aware of our something i should pay special attention to?
>>
>>2223142
Just clean the bottom of it every now and then or you'll get a build up that'll block light
>>
>>2223149
Sounds good. Thanks bud.
>>
>>2222695
they need 5+. more is better. you want to stick to the smaller cory species, like pygmy, dwarf, or panda. the more cories you have the more fun they are to watch.

>>2222698
dwarf, pearl, or honey gourami. keep in mind any fish with a big enough mouth will eat the guppies.

>>2222797
you'll need at minimum a CFL light and a bubbler (because stagnant water gets nasty). those are all very easy plants tho. I like clamp lights and brooders, you can get them at Lowe's for about $8.

>>2222815
you'll need to get a dwarf crayfish, there's a few sp.. I don't think crayfish eat snails but I have so many I wouldn't notice.

>>2222803
otos need 30 gallons and large schools.

>>2222865
dragon dildo

>>2222889
dwarf puffer is the coolest singular fish. flagfish or killis are cool too tho.

>>2223004
those plants are easy, go with whatever. I have all those plants (not banana) in one tank with dirt and sand, the other is gravel and sand.

>>2223022
sponges are biological as well- regular sponge filters only work for biological filtration. in a filter they do act to trap waste. I clean my media once every month or two- when you're doing a water change, just swish them in water. that's all you ever need to do.

>>2223034
put in plenty of floating plants- that's the best way to keep them safe. you can feed them ground up fish flakes.

>>2223056
that's what algae looks like before it gets thick enough to turn green... weird that the scrubber wouldn't take it off but it's definitely some type of algae. razor blades take anything off glass.

>>2223083
water lettuce is my favorite plant for saving fry. hornwort, watersprite, and c. lyrata are good as well.
>>
>>2223157
you forgot your trip
>>
>>2223160
? I've never had a trip. did something I say make me sound like an asshole?
>>
>>2223164
No. Just good info.
>>
>>2223170
kek there aren't any knowledgable tripfags on /aq/ tho.
>>
>>2223172
That's because plont and ila are shit posters.
>>
File: 20160902_225225.jpg (295KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20160902_225225.jpg
295KB, 1280x720px
Have you been keeping up your water changes /aq/? Your fish will thank you!
>>
>>2223184
Weekly 30% monthly 60% with a bi monthly filter degunk.
>>
>>2223184
I do mine 30% every month or two :D
>>
>>2223184
Every other week. Plants and right amount of fish. Everything is kept in check.
>>
>>2223184
50% biweekly water change
>>
I haven't been taking good enough care of my betta because depression. his fins are suffering.

I know how to fix the tank and I will tomorrow, but is there anything I can add to the water or his diet that will help his fins regrow?
>>
>>2223199
Melafix to get rid of any disease and infection and then keep water clean. They'll regrow. My betta was beat up by some serpae tetra I got rid of the next day. His fins are back now.
>>
>>2223201
No, anon, you don't just throw in melafix for no reason. I'm the guy you replied to: please don't give this advice. Can easily do more harm than good.

Sick bettas should be treated with methylene blue dips. You never just throw medicine in. I didn't say my betta was sick.
>>
>>2223203
Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>2223204
Damaged fins doesn't equal having fin rot. If you are a sub-beginner, please don't offer advice. Throwing melafix in with healthy fish can easily do more harm than good.
>>
>>2223203
melafix is preferred over blue now. It's much more effective and more natural. Meth blue is a temporary fix where melafix can get rid of it and keeps it away. If you truly know what you're doing then why ask advice on this bad advice board? I'm not trying to come off as a dick if you see it that way.
>>
>>2223203
>>2223209
Both are fine for the betta even if you have other fish. Melafix smells though lol. I prefer melafix as its made from herbs that are fish friendly. But there's no fix for it other than keeping up on clean water and good quality pellet. Even a bloodworm treat every now and then will be very appreciated.
>>
>>2223209
I am telling you from experience that when shit gets bad melafix will do nothing and methylene blue dips will save your fish. I have kept many bettas and killed them in every conceivable way, until I learned things such as this.

I'm asking for advice because there are other people here who know more than me. Don't be offended that you know less. It's just reality. You haven't been doing it as long, probably.
>>
>>2223213
Should mention it's gonna take some time. I received a beat up betta and it's been 3 weeks and his fins are healed completely.
>>
>>2223216
This to.

If anyone has any questions I have been breeding and taking care of bettas for 5 years.
>>
>>2223157
Otos do not need a 30gal, I have to disagree. 10gal is fine if you can supply the aedequate biofilm, stable parameters and heavy planting. I myself keep 10 in a 15gal and had no losses/problems for years.
>>
File: fish.jpg (3MB, 5047x2839px) Image search: [Google]
fish.jpg
3MB, 5047x2839px
20 gallon long anon here

SO I got all of my fish acclimated and no deaths so far! I have noticed a few things about their behavior I found odd.

The white cloud minnows seem to follow me, if I sit on one side of the tank they migrate to that corner and vise versa, how common is this?

Also one of my 3 albino cory cats seems to hang out on his/her own I thought they were supposed to huddle up, the other 2 do.

My bumble bee cat is a fucking loner, I saw him hiding under two sneaky spots twice and have lost site of him I have no idea where he is in the tank. I hope he is ok.

Also sometimes the corys will blast to the top of the tank, grab a peice of food and blast back bottom, fun to watch!

My drift wood is starting to grow some sort of algae on it, which I'm not exactly against, I think the green tinge looks nice, but will it become a problem?

Finally something I never expected has started to happen. It seems part of the rhyzome of my anubia, two pieces in fact, have drifted in the tank and somehow have attached themselves to the top of two amazon sword leaves, will I have anubias on my swords?
>>
File: tumblr_odu9n2tXg01vdpsm6o1_1280.jpg (364KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_odu9n2tXg01vdpsm6o1_1280.jpg
364KB, 1280x720px
the biggest apple snails are 15 days old today, the smallest ones are 4 days old. look at how big they've gotten!!

i still don't know whom or where to sell them tho...
>>
>>2223340
the cories blasting to the top isn't for food, it's for air. they absorb oxygen thru their intestines so they dart to the top to get a little whiff of it before going back to the bottom to scour :0
>>
>>2223350
oh ok, they are labyrinth fish?

Also I guess standard flake food, with some frozed bloodworms now and again should be sufficient yes?
>>
>>2223351
mine tend to be much more receptive to algae wafers, but yes, standard flakes and bloodworms are good too
>>
>>2222865
Jesus anon, how many housephones do you need?
>>
File: 1473846464266.jpg (412KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
1473846464266.jpg
412KB, 800x533px
>>2223355
Ah these are work phones, I had them deliver to work, because I can't trust apartment ladies.
>>
>>2223022
Whenever you do a water change, don't throw away the dirty water right after.

Make sure you rinse your hands in hot water, really scrub them against each other to make sure they are clean of any harmful residues like soap and such.

Then take the sponge off of your filter, fully submerge it in the dirty tank water you just removed from your aquarium. Gently squeeze it then pull it up into open air and let it expand. Repeat a couple times. That's all it takes to clean the sponge. Any other method means killing the beneficial bacteria and that will cause huge ammonia spikes in your tank.

Now, for the ceramic beads, take those out, dump them all in the dirty tank water, and gently swish them around with your hands. If you have to, take a handful of the ones with the most caked on goop, and press them firmly between your palms and make little circular motions to flake off the goop without damaging them. Give them one last swish around the dirty tank water, and then put them back in your filter.

Never. EVER. Use plain tap water, soap, any cleaning agents, or leave them out to dry in open air.
>>
File: tumblr_odubdnMr5U1vdpsm6o1_1280.jpg (77KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_odubdnMr5U1vdpsm6o1_1280.jpg
77KB, 1280x720px
gross.....
>>
File: 1474013168247.jpg (3MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1474013168247.jpg
3MB, 2000x2000px
>>2223368
That's life anon! Nothing to be grossed 'bout But whether you want it around or not is up to you
>>
File: rainbow_snake.jpg (80KB, 350x200px) Image search: [Google]
rainbow_snake.jpg
80KB, 350x200px
>>2223356
My mistake.

Also, congrats on all the safe and healthy fishies!
>>
>>2223365
Cheers man, thanks a lot for the info
>>
>>2223380
You're welcome, anon!
>>
>>2221132
Hello, me again.
My order just got here
I will upload pictures when set up.

Also the betta I ordered is like pale, pale white. Is this because he is so young?
>>
black neon tetras are not completely black, I feel robbed.
>>
>>2223351
They have a labyrinth, but they're not a labyrinth fish. Labyrinths is the term for Anabantoidei, aka, gouramis and bettas. Corydoras are a type of catfish. Most people should know that. But what most probably don't know is that many catfish also breath air. It's not as frequently seen as much as corys do it, but it's still part of their behavior.
>>
File: 20160921_121840.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20160921_121840.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>2223340
Looks great man, I am the other anon who just got his order.

This is 1/2

The baby betta is in a different tank
>>
>>2223474
you should really get some sand for your cories. rocks are hard on their barbels and can hurt them!
>>
>>2223475
I got told not to, they said sand would bother the other fish so I got smooth gravel
>>
>>2223476
What other fish you got in there? Sand, unless its coarse and has sharp edges doesn't really bother any fish commonly kept in the hobby.

That being said - if your gravel is smooth, it won't really hurt the cories, yet they enjoy sifting through small grains with their barbels, so feel free to think about a smaller grain substrate in the future.
>>
>>2223483
One dwarf gourami and some black neon tetras
the two cories where an unwanted present in a bowl so I tried to help them best I could.

I might try set up a tank just for cories with sand soon.
>>
File: IMG_20160921_075537659_HDR.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160921_075537659_HDR.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
I found my old shroom growing stuff. What could I do with this? I looked into algae scrubbers and aquaponics. Maybe a diy filter on the back of by tank? Any suggestions? I'm poor so I'm trying to figure out how I can use this stuff effectively for the tank.
>>
>>2223485
Plz gib shroom growing advice anon. I've always wanted to try it
>>
>>2223491
What state you in?
>>
Long story but I accidentally took a HUGE whiff of ammonia. My nose was on fire. It felt like it would start bleeding.

It was probably shock but I even felt some burn at the back of my head.

Is it just a vicious smell or could I have actually done something bad to my body?
>>
File: 20160921_150338.jpg (3MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20160921_150338.jpg
3MB, 2560x1920px
>>2223474
ok 2/2

As you can see he doesn't have much colour
He is very cute
>>
File: 20160921_150324.jpg (3MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20160921_150324.jpg
3MB, 2560x1920px
I hate how it reverses the image

The tank is nothing special but the gravel is nice
>>
>>2223551
Do a small crop before posting and the image won't post sideways
>>
>>2222312
Motherfucking retards.
>>
>>2223484
I keep/kept and bred many cories in the past, also aspidoras and brochis. Luckily they don't differ much in care besides the size.

Sand ground, driftwood/rocks too hide, lots of leaflitter and moss for biofilm/microorganisms and plants for shade and you got them covered.
>>
>>2223485
How big is it? You could easily house some snails/dwarf shrimp in there or dwarf crayfish. A hob would be sufficient - just put a piece of sponge over the intake so baby shrimp dont get sucked in.
>>
Two plants now that I buy without knowing that they're not actually aquarium plants. One can be partially submerged as some sort of bog plant but the other one doesn't even fucking belong underwater. It's a houseplant. No wonder it's shooting roots all over the place.

Jesus christ.
>>
>>2221968
no pics but I'm currently looking after my housemates fish whilst she's away;
she has 6 neon tetras, 3 of another species I can't remember the name of, and a lil bottom feeder called Warwick. sorry I've got no pics :c
>>
>>2223553
Thank you

Does anyone know if the betta will stay this colour?
>>2223548
>>2223551
I have never seen a betta so plain before tbqh
>>
>>2223551
He looks kinda faded but its hard to judge due to the blue light.

That being said, if a betta is newly introduced, they tend to adopt a more faded look, tell they are adapted to their new home.
>>
>>2223634
The light isn't actually blue I think it is just the way it shines on the gravel.
Here is a picture with no light just flash.
He looks so odd for a male dumbo.

No offence little fishy.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8m9G-XmGQo

I wish there was shops like this near me
>>
>>2221970
Goblin shark?
>>
>>2223505
Not that original asker, but I'm curious too. I live in Ohio.
>>
>>2222290
No one is generalizing you triggered sjw. This is a lot of guys experiences and I rarerly see women in the hobby.
>>
Finally got pressurized CO2 into my tank and 2.7 Watts/gallon. I am dosing Excel and Flourish and have ecocomplete as my substrate. My anacharis and water sprite are growing very nicely but my DHG is still going slow. I understand its a slower plant, isn't getting as much light as the plants that grow towards the top, but how do I kn ow when its long enough to trim without killing it?

I read that you need to trim it once/week to make it carpet but is there a minimum length to do so?
>>
do bettas need a filter?
>>
File: IMG_20160921_112713.jpg (1MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160921_112713.jpg
1MB, 1836x3264px
I'm really worried about my marimo
he leaks this stuff but hes not rotting inside. I cleaned him 2 days ago so this is all new junk
is he okay?

also i have no idea why my camera picked up those brown areas, he is NOT brown in real life. i freaked out when i saw it on my monitor and checked him in natural light
>>
>>2223795
It is advised, since they do have a bioload and need surface agitation. Just get a cheap hang on the back or a hamburger mattenfilter
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (206KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
206KB, 1920x1080px
>>2223801
I have this tank but the filter is just so noisy its impossible to sleep with it in my room

maybe I built it wrong there is was no instructions
>>
I made an acrylic sliding top for my tank. I have 2 light sources (T5 HO and T5) and have the HO source over open water and the other going through 2 panes of acrylic since it is weaker. Is there even a point of having the second light on or will the plants even care? Its a 20G tall.
>>
>>2223378
Thanks man, I want to get a couple more albino corys and something that will school with white cloud minnows, anyone know of a species that will school with other fish?
>>
>>2223820
harlequins or neon tetras are good
>>
>>2223483
I am interested in adding sand to my ecoconplete but it's already filled and has fish how can I safely add sand without hurting them?
>>
File: 20160921_205415.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160921_205415.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2223820
Just get some micro rasboras, they the opposite of timid and will integrate nicely.

Btw, for anyone interested to see a comparison - this is rotala rotundifolia, growing in the half shade of a 30lumen/litre tank, but with co2 injection

One can see the thick growth and the plants tendency to grow more horizontally/lush with more nodes for leaves.

1/2
>>
File: 20160921_205421.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160921_205421.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2223833
This is the same plant, but without co2 injection, in a 1.1 watts/litre tank (dont have an led here)

It does grow in full light, yet the lack of co2 makes it shoot up, produce less nodes and makes it look less thick. I only dose the easycarbo (like flourish excel) in the second tank.

2/2
>>
What is a good bushy low-growing plant? Not a carpet but somewhere between a carpet and tall growing plant?
Trying to make a gradient across my tank from stuff like water sprite to just carpet.
>>
Just got a Fluval Spec with the plastic shroud broken for 10$ and just took it out.

I want to put in a shrimp safe filter in it but I hate the sound of bubbles a sponge filter/air pump set up makes.

Can anybody recommend a cheap/weak powerhead that I can hook to the sponge to?

Or any quiet filter set up for a 3 gallon shrimp tank.
>>
When I use a EI dosing calcuator it tells me to change 50% of my water/week. It seems that if you dose you do major water changes. On the other hand I read that 50% is huge and potentially harmful.

What should I do? If I just use a basic general fertilizer do I need to worry about this?
>>
File: RIPsweetprince.jpg (118KB, 1000x797px) Image search: [Google]
RIPsweetprince.jpg
118KB, 1000x797px
I have a 4.5 Gallon heavily planted tank with only 5 Amano Shrimp and maybe 2 trumpet snails that came on the plants.

What fish could I add to this small tank and that also wouldn't bully the shrimp? I'd like a single beta but I figure it would attack the shrimp.

The tank has been establised with only shrimp and snails for about 8 months now

thanks for suggestions senpai
>>
>>2223897
Amanos are pretty big, anything with a mouth smaller than it will work.
I have 10 or 11 amanos in a tank with harlequin rasboras, guppies, corys, and other tropical FW fish and they all get along.

My betta doesnt bother my amanos in my other tank.

If we are talking baby amanos then maybe a different story but the rule of thumb is if it fits in its mouth itll try to eat it.
>>
>>2223838
It shoots up further to get closer to the light.
>>
>>2223906
Awesome. I kind of wanted a single large colorful fish as a centerpiece to the tank with the shrimp as the cleanup crew. My amanos are definitely adults and pretty large so a betta would probably leave them alone, but I'd be down for a betta alternative
>>
>>2223909
Paradise fish are nice and look nicer. Something different. Also a labyrinth fish.
>>
>>2223909
Bettas are nice for that since they come in a plethora of colors and a lot of support since they are common.

5G is limiting what type of centerpiece you can put in but itll work for a betta or a few small/schooling fish like neon tetras.

Or just make it a planted shrimp tank, people sometimes overlook how nice those can be.
>>
>>2223906
single male guppy could work
>>
My 75g native tank is coming together
>>
>>2223952
What're you going to put in it?
>>
>>2223970
single betta
>>
>>2223970
Whatever I catch at the local river. So far just minnows, snails, a rainbow darter, and two catfish
>>
Can anybody recommend a powerhead to use with a sponge filter for a 5 gallon shrimp breeding tank?
>>
File: IMG_20160424_170227.jpg (50KB, 728x971px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160424_170227.jpg
50KB, 728x971px
Does anyone notice that Bettas have a tendency to disappear for weeks and reappear? This guy is giving me nightmares
>>
File: IMG_20160511_160012 crop.jpg (1MB, 2344x2072px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160511_160012 crop.jpg
1MB, 2344x2072px
>>2224064
Him after he regained more of his color.
>>
I have two Lilly pads growing now
>>
>>2224066
He looks pretty beat up. What happened?
>>
>>2224064
I personally have not had that. But my tank is moderately planted on one side and a few rocks stacked into a cave. All the time with shrimp though. I bought 5 ghost shrimp and only see one or two at a time.
>>
File: IMG_20160921_194744.jpg (1MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160921_194744.jpg
1MB, 2340x4160px
>>2223720
>>2223491
Here is my old cheat sheet. Buy your spores online. Google everything else. They are really ready to grow. Hardest thing is finding spores if you live in a state where it's heavily controlled (like GA).
>>
>>2224083
Meant to say really easy, not ready.
>>
>>2223952
I'm this guy, caught a ton of stuff today
>>
>>2224092
Some crawfish
>>
>>2224092
Are those creek chubs? I had a creek chub. Had to get rid of the dickhead. He grew fast and ate some of my fat heads
>>
>>2224093
A little catfish
>>
>>2224096
A few darters
>>2224094
Yes I think they are. If they start trouble I can just put them back though.
>>
>>2224099
And this guy looks like a baby bluegill to me.
>>
>>2224070
Not sure, he was my mother's reject from her tank, since she decided a red beta would 'pop' more.

>>2224072
I can usually count my shrimps, but every betta I had would hide for a week at at time and suddenly show up for a feeding and hang around for a day or so, and continue this trend until I never see them again
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3191x2231px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3191x2231px
>>2224099
They're good fish for aquariums. They adapt really well.
>>
>>2224102
Great
>>
>>2223340
sometimes corys don't have normal behavior until you have a full school.

the algae might become an issue... how long are your lights on? start leaving them on for 8 or 10 hours a day, no more.

>>2223627
feed it high quality food and keep the water conditions good and the color will improve. bettas are usually stressed when you first get them and their color sucks.

>>2223733
nice doubles, that is literally generalizing so nice try faggot.

>>2223802
try a different filter, or a sponge filter. I recommend Aquaclear.

>>2223822
dump the sand one cup at a time, right onto the bottom.

>>2223888
nice triples, 50% does seem like a lot every week. maybe try dosing less?

>>2223909
dwarf or honey gourami would be a nice alternative.

>>2223952
awesome! I think it would look real neat with some leaf litter! I'm so jealous, the fish you caught are beautiful.
>>
>>2224106
Thanks, I like the idea of using leaf litter!
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (150KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
150KB, 1280x720px
>>2224108
yeah you can just collect dried, hardwood leaves like oak, or leaf litter you find in the water (although there will be tons of creepy crawlies in there). it releases tannins just like driftwood so it's good for fishes.
>>
>>2224128
Neat
>>
okay so I've drawn up the designs for my HOB sump/filter/algae scrubber. Only one thing is still a bit confusing. Which is better? Bubble algae scrubber or sloped algae scrubber?
>>
>>2224169
also, which plant should I grow on the aquaponics compartment?
>>
>>2222222
>>
File: buffett.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
buffett.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
sprinkle flakes, no one cares, but drop in an algae wafer and everyone loses their minds!
>>
File: IMG_20160921_230119537.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160921_230119537.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>2224169
I've decided to go with the bubble algae scrubber. Does this look like it would work well?
>>
>>2224204
Guy I'm worried i've looked in my tank for hours and can't see the bumblebee cory anywhere I know he is nocturnal but I even lifted the wood and did not see him. where has my fish gone? I also looked around the tank and no fish from what I can see, no dead smell either.
>>
>>2223339
Otos prefer schools in the amounts of 50+ preferably a few thousand with some cory cats mixed in.
>>
>>2224325
Died and completely eaten by snail and other corys. Kidding somewhat. Do any of them have fat bellies?
>>
>>2224336
No they all look the same as yesterday, everyone acting the same it's only been 24 hours, but can't see the bumble bee ANYWHERE
>>
>>2224336
plus that bumble bee is the biggest fish in the tank right now don't think anyone could eat all of it
>>
File: 1474295412891.jpg (4KB, 177x168px) Image search: [Google]
1474295412891.jpg
4KB, 177x168px
>>2224339
>>2224339
This is a spicy mystery if there ever was one.

If it is dead.. you'll never know who the killer was, or chances are they all participated. Keep us updated plz
>>
File: Chozo corydoras.jpg (979KB, 941x1441px) Image search: [Google]
Chozo corydoras.jpg
979KB, 941x1441px
>>2224342
If I spot it I will try to take a photo, I'm rather sad cause that was my favorite, I hope he's just a reeally sneaky fuck and I missed him/her
>>
>>2224328
As you well know, these conditions cannot be replicated by everyone and are overkill. People kept and bred Otos in groups of 10-15 for years without them dying off at random.

I'm also all for supplying an aedequate environment, but if one starts to get too anal about replicating natural conditions, people would need to keep most Tetras in blackwater conditions with lots of rotting leaves and barely any underwater plant life.

Reefkeepers would also be unable to house most tangs, since they swim miles upon miles each day.
>>
I've been adding ferts everyday (iron/nitrogen/flourish/potassium/excel) and my crypts and repens are sickly wtf do I do?
>>
>>2224356
The leaves are browning as well*
>>
File: image.jpg (37KB, 220x315px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37KB, 220x315px
>>2224343
>>
>>2224356
Either pH is off or they need more light.

Also you're wasting money on fertilizer if you do it every day. You can't make a plant overeat.
>>
>>2224356
pics of the crypts/repens? Is your tank newly established? Were they introduced just a short time ago?

daily fertilization does require an exact dosing, so you don't oversaturate your water, but keep the nutrients/minerals suffciently high. I figure you are adhering to some sort of dosing regimen and adjust it according to the visual output from the plants or measurements you get?

Because overdosing is just as bad.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2224459
I've been trying to keep them alive for months
>>
I'm setting up a new tank and I bought this gravel and dirt substrate for the plants but every time I'd try to move something around it would cloud up the tank. So I went and bought some sand for a top layer and it's even dirtier than the original substrate. What do?
>>
>>2224599
Did you wash the sand before putting it in the tank?

What kind of dirt are you using?
>>
Remember me?
>>2223474

Well my dwarf gourami got stuck in the house decoration and has bee there all day. I managed to get him out just now but I destroyed most of my plants in the progress. Pretty sure hes going to die anyway, he has gone into shock and ripped his fins.

Do you think this is a rare one off
or do I get rid of the house?

And is there any thing I can do to bring the dg out of shock? He is just floating at the top gulping air.
>>
>>2224204
what type of shrimp is that?
I want a shrimp
>>
>>2224600
No and it's seachem flourite from pets mart.
>>
>>2224611
>seachem flourite
lul

You're gonna want to wash the shit outta that stuff.
>>
>>2224612
Does that mean start over?
>>
>>2224614
Would probably be best. How much have you set up?

If you'd rather wait it can take up to a week to clear up. It's a good substrate but gets really dusty over its time from being thrown around in the package. Once it clears up a bit you'll even be able to see all the dust caked up. I'd say just empty the tank and restart but I don't know how much you've done so far.
>>
File: IMG_20160922_135738737_HDR.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160922_135738737_HDR.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
Candy cane no more! Lfs is closing down their freshwater section so I got 11lbs of substrate for $3. Rinsed the shit out of it. Still a bit cloudy but whatever. Is it on if they nibble at the ammonia clear tracker like that? Also, I might have buried a shrimp...
>>
>>2224627
Is it *ok* if they nibble the *tablet*. Sorry I'm a phone poster...
>>
>>2224627
>closing down the only section that'll make them money
Why? All saltwater only stores don't last long. I wish them luck.
>>
>>2224617
I've just planted it I guess it wouldn't hurt. Thanks for the help.
>>
>>2224641
Sorry, that sucks. It'll be better in the long run. Having it stir up every time you move something will be a bigger pain in the ass. Especially once everything gets established.
>>
Does anyone know what kind of eggs these are? There are at least three bunches, each half the size of a dime.
>>
>>2224650
Sorry for shitty pic, they're hard to focus on.
>>
>>2224627
I'm really in love with your rock composition. As if someone is climbing up a chinese creek that has huge boulders in it.
>>
>>2224650
I looked it up and they seem to be snail eggs
>>
>>2224601
I'm not a fan of fake decorations, but it all comes down on how sharp their edges are. If I were you I'd just put a big piece of malaysian driftwood in there with lots of places to hide.

As for your dg, I'm sorry for this happening to him. Have you tried indian almond leaves, alder cones to make the tank more anti bacterial, anti septic, as well as putting in an air stone to increase oxygen? That often helps.
>>
>>2224653
Yeah, its ramshorn snail clutches. If you wanna remove snails, just lure them and the babies via a cucumber
>>
Will do
>>
File: Desmodagillshots.jpg (20KB, 366x359px) Image search: [Google]
Desmodagillshots.jpg
20KB, 366x359px
My betta's inner mouth is all white, and has white rings around his eyes. This isn't him but I couldn't get a clear pic of it to show.

He doesn't act sick or different at all but he's pretty old and has all the signs of old age. He's still energetic, eats food readily, interacts with stuff in his tank etc. He's had these white areas for months and I'm only just now noticing since like I said he doesn't seem sick.

Is it just another sign of old age or what?
>>
test
>>
I live a 30 second walk away from my LFS. I try my best to support them but sometimes Amazon wins.

Anyways, do non-chain LFS' usually buy fish from you or is it just the big guys? I have a good relationship with the manager but I don't want to make things awkward.
>>
>>2224841
Just ask one of the employees
>>
Wow
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I just set up my first ever saltwater aquarium today and this appeared on my glass, is that normal?
>>
>>2224652
>>
File: 1469678178094.gif (3MB, 336x335px) Image search: [Google]
1469678178094.gif
3MB, 336x335px
>>2224875
Burn everything.. while you still have time!
>>
>>2224941

Kek, but seriously, I just want to know what it is just to make sure.
>>
File: ss+(2016-07-29+at+05.29.56).jpg (733KB, 1889x897px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-07-29+at+05.29.56).jpg
733KB, 1889x897px
>>2224970
The bubbles? The white shit? Could you give some background on the tank? My experience with salt water tanks is that weird shit will always grow. Especially when you put live rock in them. It's natural, probably fine. Just wait it out. Saltwater tanks go through a lot more shit than freshwater tanks before they get established. I've probably seeing 4-5 different types of algae and bacteria over the year in my tank. Beneficial or not it's not always easy to tell. Just part of your little ecosystem. Ain't always gonna be pretty like freshwater tanks.
>>
File: IMG_20160923_242410328.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160923_242410328.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
Built a lid or of some spare plexiglass. Am not a handy man. Dig what I could with a hacksaw. Will tidy it up at some point. Am using the rest of the plexiglass for the sump/filter compartments.
>>
>>2224973

I don't think anything could be growing really considering I just set it up today. But yeah, i'm just talking about the white shit, I don't think i've ever seen anything like that before, but i've only done freshwater in the past so it might be a saltwater thing. I tried looking it up but I didn't really find anything useful and nothing about first time tank setups mentioned this so I'm juat trying to figure out if it's anything I should be worried about.
>>
>>2224986

And there's nothing in the tank besides live rock and sand, as I said I only just set it up today.
>>
>>2224973

I find that saltwater looks better than freshwater, I like the alien look of it. But I guess it just boils down to opinion.
>>
>>2224989
Saltwater definitely looks better and have much more colorful, unique looking fish but is way more of a bitch to maintain than freshwater. Freshwater tanks are just generally cheaper and easier to manage but still can look great too
>>
>>2224991
Can't argue with that, that's the main reason I only got into saltwater recently now that I have the time to take care of it.
>>
>>2224988
Could be something from the live rock. It really is hard to say. Try wiping it away? See if it comes back in a few days? Do you have a powerful light at all? Having a light will cause algae and bacteria to bloom like crazy if you don't have any corals to fight for the excess nutrients in the water.
>>
>>2224994

Thanks for the advice, I'll check and see over the coming week. It's not like I have anything that can die in there.
>>
File: 20160922_223822.jpg (3MB, 5047x2839px) Image search: [Google]
20160922_223822.jpg
3MB, 5047x2839px
So I picked up 2 more albino corys and have noticed a change in behavior, they definitely tend to group and stick together, but something worries me. There are a total of 5 in the tank and one is smaller and seems isolated, he hangs out by himself on the other side of the tank and I can't help but feel bad for him. Sometimes he will swim to the other corys but mostly he's alone, so I've taken to calling him JP from grandma's boy. Does anyone know if some thing is wrong?

Also the bumblebee cory is alivee!! I saw him swim about with the lights on today and saw him dart under a rock. we good!
>>
>>2225002

He's just edgy
>>
Is all carbon created equal?
is there any difference between walmart aquatech carbon and seachem matrix?
>>
File: 1473847977272.jpg (1MB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1473847977272.jpg
1MB, 1800x1200px
>>2225014
also I Just saw the bumblebee feed! I dropped in a couple shrimp pellets in the area i knew he was hiding and turned my lights to only dark blue leds, and saw him come out and swallow the pellet whole!!! I will try to get a picture for you guys but it will be difficult because he is so elusive and lighting is an issue.

I also noticed one large ghost shrimp under the driftwood upside down trying to swim, I can only assume the worst is this normal behavior or am I about to have my fist tank death, I don't really mind as the shrimp would make a great treat for the bumblebee
>>
>>2225026
yes obviously walmart aquatech will cut every cost possible to keep the cost on you low. Go with injection diy or cannister
>>
>>2223799
Looks like it's mold or some such. Put him someplace a shrimp can browse on a regular basis and they will knock it out.
>>
>>2223839
african water fern
windelov java fern
>>
>>2225035
Am having trouble choosing a plant for the aquaponics section of the filter I'm building. I want something that will filter the water well, but I also want something that my parrot would be able to munch on safely. I let her fly in the house, she is barely ever caged, and she loves to watch the fish. I'd like to turn the area into a birdie hangout. Any suggestions? I read that peppermint is ok for birds, but how well would it do as a partially submerged plant? It's it fish safe?
>>
File: 20160917_210400.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160917_210400.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
>>2225056
Sorry anon I know next to nothing about bird care, but I do wonder, does the parrot constantly shit on anything? How do you handle that?
>>
>>2225174
I potty trained her. She only goes on the toilet, her cage, or her main perch. Or when I say "go poop".
>>
>>2224989
The only thing about freshwater that is harder than anything in saltwater including corals is trying to keep a moderately to heavy planted tank happy and growing. It's can be a nightmare and I have been doing this for 15 years.
>>
>>2224989
Reeee go jack off in the salt water general
>>
I think my shrimp is dying. He will swim up, go limp and float, then start swimming again.
>>
>>2225245
I think they just do that. Shrimp are weird.
>>
>>2225270
Oh thank god
>>
>>2224875
The bubbles or the salt on the glass? Both are normal. Wipe the salt with a wet paper towel
>>
File: 20160923_170549.jpg (82KB, 498x886px) Image search: [Google]
20160923_170549.jpg
82KB, 498x886px
>>2225389
Forgot my trip, but no, I'm working on my freshwater tank so it isn't going to look like shit anymore. I'm almost done with this diy CO2 machine. Also, I'm thinking of getting seachem flourish. Is that good. I tried using seachem Excel and was unaware that it kills Val. :(
>>
File: image.jpg (936KB, 1098x3263px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
936KB, 1098x3263px
I didn't buy them so no loss if they don't work. Any experience? Says promote photosynthesis in live plants and has more kelvins and watts then my two CFLs which are 9watt 5000k
>>
File: image.jpg (718KB, 962x3263px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
718KB, 962x3263px
>>2225402
>>
>>2225402
14 watt CFLs. Just checked. Let me know if I should just switch back to the CFLs or mix them
>>
meet tim roth
>>
How would I get water for my aquarium? I know certain stores sell RO water, but are there simpler or chraper means?
>>
File: faaabulous.jpg (4MB, 5047x2839px) Image search: [Google]
faaabulous.jpg
4MB, 5047x2839px
So in my enthusiasm for the hobby I may have over stocked the tank. so here we go

3-4 ghost shrimp
1 dwarf male gourami (in pic) BEAUTIFUL
5 albino corys
5 white cloud minnows
5 neon tetras
1 SA bumblebee cory
1 yellow snail

Is this sustainable in a 20 gallon long? I do have live plants and plan to introduce more, I was also considering an airstone worth?

Also I am still having issues with my plants may be attributed to being a relatively new tank. The some of the sword leaves are a palish yellow and ever so slightly translucent, and the wisteria has this black shit on the perimeter of the leaves that looks gross, will upload closer pic if needed.
>>
>>2225660

I'd recommend a size upgrade, it definately seems overstocked
>>
>>2225664
not happening

I do eventually want to upgrade to a 75 gallon, but the tetras and minnows are tiny and the corys and shrimp help keep the tank clean. Surely I can make it work with disciplined water changes.

>>2225658
Just use your tap water, de-chlorinate, test it and adjust for what you need.
>>
>>2225658
>put water in aquarium
>turn on filter and add water softener
>wait a few weeks

That would be the cheapest/simplest way.

You could buy what is basically bottles bacteria and pour it on your filter media and whatnot. Or after about a week of cycling you could throw some super tough fishos in and cross your fingers.. did you actually want to just buy a bucket of water?
>>
File: 1473904985792.jpg (133KB, 1367x1692px) Image search: [Google]
1473904985792.jpg
133KB, 1367x1692px
>>2225666
>ask for advice
>advice is contrary to your opinion
>disregard advice
>>
File: 1471847379335.jpg (136KB, 861x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1471847379335.jpg
136KB, 861x1024px
>>2225670
I was asking for advice on how to make it work, not start all over, I don't have the time or money to set up and move everything to a larger size, might as well just return the fish. Do you have any other suggestions?
>>
File: IMG_20160923_181226.jpg (1MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160923_181226.jpg
1MB, 2340x4160px
Got home from work today and my fish and shrimp were acting weird, gasping, jerky movements. Took a sample to PetSmart. I had plenty of plants and water changes once a week so I didn't know what could be happening.
>>
File: IMG_20160923_163124266.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160923_163124266.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>2225680
Turns out the fucking plants I bought at pet supermarket aren't fully aquatic so they were decomposing and it spiked my ammonia. Got some better conditioner and did a 25% water change.
>>
File: IMG_20160923_172003412.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160923_172003412.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>2225681
My levels are now fine and the fish and shrimp are acting normal but the whole ordeal sent my guppy into labor I think. Will she be okay? Is premature guppy birth a thing?
>>
>>2225677
Return bumblebee and gourami and diy a sump for added water volume.
>>
File: t3_4t96sy.jpg (54KB, 721x528px) Image search: [Google]
t3_4t96sy.jpg
54KB, 721x528px
>>2225684
but senpai... those are my favorites pls don't do this
>>
Hey guys what subtrate is ideal for plants and how would you go about changing it in an already established aquarium.
>>
>>2225695
Eco complete.

Scoop out all of the old substrate with a cup or gravel scoop. Put new substrate in by using a cup or gravel scoop.

It'll make your tank super dirty at first and you'll have to do massive water changes until it clears up.
>>
>>2225684
At least build the sump. I'm already building one for my 20g long and all I have is 3 guppies and 6 first shrimp. Salting an algae scrubber to the sump.
>>
>>2225402
>>2225403
>>2225407
Anyone?
>>
>>2225666
Keep tank clean and you're good. It isn't as overstocked as you see it. It's at the limit but will work.
>>
>>2225703
The daylight bulb is a 6500k bulb which is good for plants, the 10k comes from the blue light which just looks cool. I have them and they work fine for Java moss, Anubias, java ferns and amazon swords. But those are all easy plants. You'll need something stronger for medium to high light plants.
>>
>>2225701
I do have a decent size space under the tank where I could install a sump, would a small 10 gallon suffice?
>>
>>2225707
A ten gallon would be an awesome sump. For a 20 long.
>>
>>2225707
They have some tall plastic bins with the same footprint as a 10gal. You'd get a bigger sump for the same price
>>
>>2225707
Should be a good sump. I'm using one of those 5 gallon cricket/hermit crab plastic bins as a temporary sump. Will convert it into a hob filter when I stock more fish and add a 20/30g sump under it.
>>
>>2225716
Do I have to install a pump, this seems like it could be complicated.
>>
File: wet-dry-sump-filter.jpg (41KB, 600x352px) Image search: [Google]
wet-dry-sump-filter.jpg
41KB, 600x352px
>>2225724
It's not. Just have a water bridge and a powerhead
>>
File: Screenshot_20160922-151958.png (698KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160922-151958.png
698KB, 1280x720px
>>2225757
>>
File: IMG_20160924_012847889.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160924_012847889.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>2225683
She is still panting heavily and now she just starts at the bottom not moving much. Is this it? It's she dead?
>>
>>2225830
Good night sweet queen
>>
>>2225831
Nooo what can I do please
>>
File: CbdpZnRUsAEDZt8.jpg (24KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
CbdpZnRUsAEDZt8.jpg
24KB, 600x338px
>>2225759
>HOB overflow
>>
>>2225833
Nothing but get a new guppy. Unless she suddenly Springs up into health there isn't much you can do. A majority of fish husbandry is preventive care not rescue.
>>
>>2225846
And why exactly is that a bad thing?
>>
>>2225660
For 20g its fine if your filtration is sufficient and you have lots of plants.

The issues you experience with your plants only seem temporary.

Imho, you could sell the tetras for 5 male endlers or 10 microrasboras, reasoning being that tetras prefer a bigger school but you are not harming them.
>>
plz acknowledge tim roth....
>>
Any ideas on how i could get silicon off the tank without scratching it?
>>
>have three pregnant females in tank
>six babies over a month old
>just saw a new baby today
>pull most pregnant female out
>has a baby almost immediately
>dump them both back in tank

Well, I hope these are a mixed color at least. Tired of all the bright red/dark orange fish I've got and I'm hoping my Red Wag Platys and my Sunburst Platy male got it on so I can get some new color variation.
>>
new thread

>>2226008

>>2226008

>>2226008
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 85

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.