[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can Razorbacks be trained as guard animals?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: razor.jpg (903KB, 1360x907px) Image search: [Google]
razor.jpg
903KB, 1360x907px
If you get a razorback as a piglet is there any reason you can't acclimate them to other animals and train them like other pigs?

I know they will eat young goats and sheep in the wild but if they were raised with them (and had a steady food source so they don't start looking at the young livestock) will they bother them? I have read that domestic pigs will leave livestock alone and even adopt a herd, would a razorback do the same?

Also is there any problem training them like you can with domestic hogs? The reason i am asking is that i had the idea that they might make a decent anti coyote animal if they adopt a herd of goats, once they reach adulthood the coyote is more likely to become food than the hog.

If it helps i am in an area with no wild hogs and that can't really sustain them even if they were introduced.
>>
File: 1466790805750.jpg (533KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1466790805750.jpg
533KB, 3264x2448px
>>2221354
>>
>>2221357
Where i am a guard dog is coyote food or worse, it's new GF/BF.
>>
>>2221369
Also Dog<Black Bear.

I know a adult razorback can't (usually) stand up to a adult black bear but the bear will go for a easier meal 99% of the time.
>>
>>2221369
>guard dog is coyote food or worse

That's just stupid anon.

Coyotes are clever but not very big there are a lot of dog breeds suited to guarding livestock from them which have been doing their job well for centuries now.
>>
>>2221354
Get a couple of sheep dogs (eg kangals or ovcharkas or great pyrenees)
>>
File: 1464761415042.jpg (42KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1464761415042.jpg
42KB, 500x333px
You know what I would normally call this out for being a stupid idea but ya know OP go for it. Go get the biggest baby male pig train it to guard your property and animals and be a pioneer of guard pigs. I wanna see Guard Boars become a thing.
>>
>>2221430
Half a dozen Maine Coyote/wolf/dog hybrids vs 1-2 domestic dogs isn't something i really want to chance, especially when the local wild canine population has a history of breeding with guard dogs. The problem isn't that a big dog can't protect a herd from a few Coyotes the problem is that they tend to become friends with each other and interbreed.

Buy this book and read it, it's cheap and you will be glad you did: https://www.amazon.com/Americas-New-Wolf-Gene-Letourneau/dp/0930096347

>>2221473
The problem isthem not being able to stand up to a pack of Brush Wolves or ward off a black bear.

>>2221505
I know you are being sarcastic but if in 4-5 years you read a news story about "Maine goat farmers Russian Boars slaughter and eat Coyote pack while protecting herd" you better remember this conversation.

Logicality i'd get 2 sows and one boar, their kids would get sold off and slaughtered each winter and replaced with the sows piglets in the spring. Along with them i'd get about 20-25 acres cleared to act as browse for about 50-60 goats, probably kids in the 3-4 month range.

Just make sure that the boar is well fed and doesn't think of the goats as food and everything should be ok. Getting the Boar to attack coyotes on sight should not be a problem, worse case scenario once he is a few years old and 400+ lbs i lock him in a pen , don't feed him for half a week and trap a few Coyotes. Cage the Coyotes then throw them one by one into the pen letting nature take it's course. Once the Boar has endured a few nips from Coyotes, has fought a few of them, shredded them and devoured their carcass it should be ready to serve as a guard. I could even give it one of those spiked collars that folks used to give lion hunting hounds to protect their necks.

I'd never be able to have a domestic dog near it(due to it being trained to eat canines) but still, i am reasonably certain that Coyotes would stay the hell away from the monster i'm thinking about making.
>>
>>2221569
Well it's a really cool idea, OP, and I hope it succeeds, but why not get some other guard animal? Mules or donkeys are big enough and loud enough to scare off most coyotes, or at least wake you up so you can save your goats.
What area of Maine you in? I'm down by Bangor, going to UMO for Agriculture.
>>
Pigs will panic and flee before they attack.
>>
>>2221569
>The problem isthem not being able to stand up to a pack of Brush Wolves or ward off a black bear

Its very hard to not call you an idiot when i enjoy your imagination. Your idea is more than likely impossible and yet that to you is more probable than training GUARDING DOGS to PROTECT LIVESTOCK
>>
Actually you know what you should do OP? Get a pet bison.
>>
Get a guard coyote, that way he can infiltrate the pack of wild coyotes and tell your the inside information on how they operate
>>
>>2221620
Donkeys naturally hate canids and do well with cattle.
My da keeps his donkey with my uncle's cattle, he is pretty good with them besides some minor bullying.
>>
File: the best guard animal.jpg (142KB, 1400x788px) Image search: [Google]
the best guard animal.jpg
142KB, 1400x788px
>>
The correct solution is to buy one dozen hounds.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.