[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Puppy biting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: spiderdog.gif (2MB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
spiderdog.gif
2MB, 500x377px
Lets have a thread discussing puppy biting and chewing, because I'm about to either beat the shit out of this dog, or give it to a shelter if this biting stuff doesn't stop.
What the fuck do people do to get a puppy to stop biting everyone and everything?
>>
>>2218952
>puppy
nigga it's a puppy, give it time
>>
>>2218952
>puppy
How about giving us a better approximation of its age? 6 years? 6 months? 6 minutes?
>>
>>2218954
3 months. 14 weeks old specifically.
>>
>>2218952
it's a fucking puppy, retard. please don't EVER have kids.

>WTF THIS BABY WON'T STOP CRYING
>>
>>2218956
>>2218953 sort of has the right idea. It's by all definitions just a puppy and is still learning so you have to accept some mouthing. Also, at 3 months your dog's biting shouldn't be aggressive unless it's been abused so I'm ruling it out as aggressive biting.
That being said, my rottweiler JUST went through this phase and it's worked with all my dogs before her. Here's what you do when your dog BITES TOO HARD:
>PLAY TIME IS OVER IMMEDIATELY.
This is very important. Continuing to play afterwards sends the wrong message.
>gently but swiftly put your dog on her back and hold him firmly in place.
>in a commanding tone and while making eye-contact say "No!"
>continue to pin the dog on his back, you're looking for submission so you want her to look away
The goal isn't to cause physical discomfort but to assert your dominance. None of this should really take more than maybe 30 seconds of discipline. When your dog is calm and submissive then DISCIPLINE IS OVER, allow it to stand, take control of it gently by its collar, and guide the dog inside. Place them in their crate and in 10 or so minutes, allow them out, and offer them a toy of theirs to chew..

If you have a larger breed then you're not retarded because as they grow you can do the above and modify the discipline by actually mounting your dog when you pin it on its back (think MMA), grabbing both cheeks firmly thereby holding the back of the dogs head down to the floor, and rendering the dog immobile.
Keep in mind that there's a FUCK TON more to raising a healthy, happy, well behaved, obedient, and friendly dog than just discipline. The methods I described above are only for extreme behaviors (like biting too hard or trying to resource guard/get nasty with people or another pet) and shouldn't be used for shit reasons or so help me God I'll gut you like a fish.
>>
>>2218961
>anthropomorphizing
Nigga you couldn't even be bothered to go to your public uni and learn why this shit is a facile way of thinking--don't come in here trying to give criticism.
>>
>>2218982
If you are looking to just correct play biting, then give a loud, high pitched YELP and promptly walk away and ignore your dog for several seconds to minutes.

If you ever watch two dogs play, a really loud, high pitched yelp is doggo for "stop it, too rough!!!".
>>
>>2218985
It doesn't look like he's anthropomorphising to me.
as he said, if OP wants to give up/beat a puppy for normal puppy behaviour, he fears what OP would do with a crying baby, which is normal baby behaviour.
>>
>>2219523
Nigga, I would never actually hit my doggo. That's fucked up.
The most I've done is bop him on the snout when he gets really mouthy.
>>
it's a puppy, it's going to bite everything for awhile.

you should have a lot of different kinds of toys for it to chew on: bones, soft toys, etc. give it a toy when it's chewing on something you don't want it to chew on. you can also try ice cubes. try to keep your hands away from the dog when it's in one of its biting modes; it will think your hands are chew toys.

there are bitter-tasting anti-chewing sprays, but they're not 100% effective.
>>
>>2218952
Have plenty of shit the dog can chew on in the house, and make sure it has access to them at all times. Crates are great for this purpose, as are exercise pens.

When you catch him chewing on something he shouldn't be, grab him by the scruff, look him in the eye, and tell him no. You don't have to be too rough, but you have to let the pup know you don't approve of his chewing bullshit. Then shove something in his mouth that he CAN chew on and praise. Give the pup an opportunity to return to chewing on the shit he wasn't supposed to, and if he drops the "good" chewie for the "bad" chewie, repeat the process again. Keep doing this until the pup decides on its own that it doesn't want to chew the "bad" chewie anymore. Rinse and repeat every time you catch the little gator chewing on "bad" shit, and he'll eventually learn to stop chewing on anything that isn't a "good" chewie as soon as you tell him no.

With enough consistency, the dog will learn what he can chew on, and what he can't.
>>
>>2218982
>The goal isn't to cause physical discomfort but to assert your dominance.

The problem with the back pin is that it can put some dogs in a "I'm going to die" panic mode...which isn't beneficial to either of you.

At that young age, you can just grab it by the scruff, or the jowls, while looking it in the eyes and telling it no, and it'll show submission without the panic that can arise when you pin them.
>>
Hai op, if you want your puppy to trust you but stop the biting crap, this is what I did with my puppy. When I first got her she bit down so hard she drew blood three or four times. Not cool. She was a 10 week old GSD. What I did was start clicker training her, and conditioned her to know "click=treat". Then i presented my hand to her (I knew she would inevitably bite), she bit me, I kept my hand still+boring no matter how hard it was, and once she let go, I clicked and gave her a great treat. Repeat this several times throughout the day combined with wiggling a squeaky toy in her face and squaking it like a maniac so she'd attack that instead helped a lot. On another note, if your puppy doesn't know bite inhibition, teach tem that before you teach them "no bite" dogs that don't learn bite inhibition, in the future, when they may be forced to snap through fear (like if they get hurt or are being groomed) may end up biting extremely hard. So teach them "soft bite" before "no bite" it'll be a while before the puppy completely stops anyway so its best to teach soft bite anyway. Just click for soft mouthing instead. Anyway op, good luck. If you're having a hard time now, invest in as much training as possible cos once your dog hits adolescence you will want to smother them.
>>
>>2218952
Put hot sause on whatever its licking/biteing
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.