[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bad pet owner stories thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 9

File: 1472706132343.png (480KB, 600x525px) Image search: [Google]
1472706132343.png
480KB, 600x525px
>Go to psychiatrists
>See she got a new fish tank, neat
>Wait
>3 bettas inside, all female
>One pleco
>Notice the tank is small
>Ask what gallon size the tank is
>She says 5 gallon
>Tell her a 10 gallon would be much better
>Says the pet store people told her a 5 gallon works for 3 bettas and a pleco since bettas stay in those tiny tubs
>Keep seeing the biggest female betta chase and nibble the other two
>She wont listen and controls my meds so I drop it
>>
Tell her she's the reason you need to see a psychiatrist.
>>
>talking to cousin about pets
>says that if she ever got a cat she would get it de-clawed
>say that if she's worried about furniture then they make the claw cap things you can put over their claws
>she says "Yeah but I'd be worried about them falling off"
>tell her that they stay on for a while and don't fall off
>"Plus what if someone came over and my cat scratched them"
>just stop talking because they're retarded
>>
>>2218191
>she's not wrong

cat's are loose cannons, anon
>>
>>2218191
whats wrong with declawing a cat?
does it hurt them in any way? is it detrimental to their health?
>>
>>2218520
You realize declawing is a series of amputations?
It can make it difficult for the cat to walk comfortably outside of the trauma they will suffer.
>>
>>2218520
k, just read up on it, seems like declawing is as bad as female circumcision.
and it's in fact illegal here in germany as it falls under animal cruelty.

fucking americans and their barbarism
>>
>>2218191

Everyone who tries to defend "claw caps" should be required to try using them a few times before opening their mouths. Even without using them, you can imagine what a shitshow it is trying to put the things on. There is a reason no one uses them.
>>
>>2218523
For some of us, the convenience of not having our possessions scratched to shit and getting scratched when playing with the cat is absolutely worth the chance of discomfort it may (or may not) cause the cat.
>>
>>2218538
If you don't want to risk something getting minor scratch damage, just move it, or don't have a cat.
>getting scratched whilst playing
You sound like a far bigger pussy than any cat, get a grip
>>
>>2218520
Yes and yes.

It causes them to have to walk differently (as the other anon said, declawing is an amputation of the first digits,) causing skeletal misalignment, arthritis, etc. Oftentimes declawed cats have chronic pain issues.

Also, another common thing in declawed cats is stopping using the litterbox: this happens when the paws are especially painful postsurgery, and walking on the litter is painful, so they develop an aversion to it and associate it with the pain and thus don't want to use it.

It's just a bad idea all around. A bit of convenience (not having your furniture clawed) is not worth amputating your cats' digits and causing it all sorts of issues.
>>
>>2218538
Yeah, and then you wont get the right kind of litter because you are a retard, and the cat will start shitting and pissing all over your house becauwe normal littet is super painful for a declawed cat. Then you'll start getting cat bites instead of scratches because the cat learns its main defense is gone and starts biting. Keep in mind cat bites can be very serious and will get infected very easily.
>>
Your veterinarian will put the soft-paws on for you if you ask them too during a routine check up.

That being said, I worked as an assistant at a clinic that performed declaws. For about two years before I walked out.

It was as horrific as you imagine. The doctor would send home animals same day for 'major' surgery such as removing tumors, spaying females, etc, etc, but he required a three-day stay for declawing because of the rate of infection and complication.

I asked him why he felt it was acceptable to cause such harm to patients he'd taken an oath to heal. He said that the owners were going to do it anyway, so they might as well do it there.

Needless to say, I left. The clinic was owned by the veterinary association, which makes big bucks off of keeping declawing from becoming illegal.

The procedure is terrible. Watching is terrible. Hearing kittens crying and screaming for a day afterwards is terrible. Watching chipper, bright, wonderful cats come in and go home destroyed to only come back with complaints of 'He just started BITING me!!' or 'He won't use the litterbox!'

I fucking hate declawing. I fucking hate it. It's one of those things I would go to bed about grinding my teeth.

Ask your veterinarian if they will declaw your animal. If they say yes, find a new god damn veterinarian because no half way decent physician would condone it. They are either delusional, just want the money or straight up don't give a fuck about your animal.
>>
>>2218571
Please. It's the equivalent to piercing a baby's ears. Hurts for a bit but they won't remember it, it's not big deal.
>>
File: GS21TP.jpg (43KB, 800x411px) Image search: [Google]
GS21TP.jpg
43KB, 800x411px
>>2218572
no, it's the equivalent of cutting all your baby's knuckles off with pic related

inb4 more edge
>>
>>2218572
Hahahahhaha oh man. 6/10 because I seriously got mad.
>>
>>2218575
If that's what it takes to get a shit cat to stop scratching shit and attacking people then so be it. My aunt has a declawed cat and it has no issues walking or using the litter box.
>>
>>2218575
you won't be able to cut through knuckles with that weak ass scissor, atleast get yourself a Felco.
>>
>>2218578
baby knuckles are like butter
>>
File: Slider_Felco_2.jpg (176KB, 2000x818px) Image search: [Google]
Slider_Felco_2.jpg
176KB, 2000x818px
>>2218579
that scissor can't even cut through butter, look at how poor the spring is made.

this is what a scissor should be.
>>
>>2218581
>scissor
Those are pruning shears.
>>
File: declawing.jpg (51KB, 862x628px) Image search: [Google]
declawing.jpg
51KB, 862x628px
Seriously though. You learn to see and hear pain very acutely when you work with animals in a medical setting.

These kittens would be lying there, moaning in confusion and pain for the duration of their stay. I suspect it is one reason the damned vet didn't send them home,other than the expensive charges for 'boarding' overnight. Meanwhile, animals who'd just been fucking CUT OPEN hours before would be up and trying to walk around.

Then they would be hissing and biting when they came back.

That veterinarian used a god damned guillotine blade to declaw them. All four feet. They can never use normal litter again. Cats don't tend to suffer from osteo degradation or other osteo related illnesses, but those who are declawed can develop severe arthritis within a year. It changes the way they walk, and puts enormous strain on their other joints.

If a cat came in with an enormous temper and horrible biting habits, I'd check the chart to see if they were declawed. Without fail, they would be. It causes tremendous personality shifts, because it puts them in constant, debilitating pain and removes their defenses.

You think getting scratched is bad? That's nothing compared to a cat bite.

Bigger problem is, most clients were too fucking lazy or stupid to use the paper based litter. Or gave up after the first day because, guess what, their cat won't use it.
Helllooooo infection.

We rarely saw declawed cats for very long, because owners usually euthanize them or throw them out the door. They won't use the litterbox, they are expensive, they are aggressive and people who are stupid enough to declaw in the first place shouldn't even own a cat anyway.
>>
>>2218582
they're pruning scissors, shears are for cutting hair m8.
>>
File: Don_cba07a_5423952.jpg (25KB, 388x299px) Image search: [Google]
Don_cba07a_5423952.jpg
25KB, 388x299px
This is more what they use. It's called a guillotine clipper. It isn't even meant to be used on a joint. It's made for clipping claws.
>>
>>2218583
Hilarious picture.
>>
File: ddddd.jpg (66KB, 612x270px) Image search: [Google]
ddddd.jpg
66KB, 612x270px
>>2218585
Adding to my point, you can see the rust on the picture in this one. Not unlike what our veterinarian used. He'd pop the clippers out of our regular clipper drawer and they were often far too dull for the job.

Fucking stupid. Anyway, I'm done. Rageout.
>>
>>2218586
you're funny
>>
File: standardscompared1.jpg (48KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
standardscompared1.jpg
48KB, 640x427px
is this what happens when they take too much away from the nails?
>>
File: munchkin-cat6.jpg (65KB, 437x213px) Image search: [Google]
munchkin-cat6.jpg
65KB, 437x213px
>>2218592
>>
>>2218583
Ive had 2 cats declawed (USA USA) first one wasn't really mine but sister and she was a shit owner, letting cat outside because didn't want to deal with litter box, cat got poisoned multiple times, died a very cranky mean cat.

My actual cat got declawed and I switched her litter and took other steps to make her recovery comfortable. She acts just fine uses normal litter again and everything. Her only problem is nephews but she just goes to a different room when they come over
>>
>>2218599
This. A shitty cat will stay shitty, especially if it has a bad owner. Declawing has no long term affect on temperament though.
>>
>>2218571
That vet you worked with is right. My vet said she hates doing it, but she'd much rather see a cat go into a home where the family was happy because their furniture and kid's faces are unscratched, rather than an unhappy family that will end up throwing a perfectly sweet & playful cat out because of its claws. I know, people who want their cats declawed shouldn't be getting them in the first place if they can't deal, but there's so many cats that need homes and these people will get a cat anyway. Nothing you can do, so no reason to grind your teeth.
>>
Story time!

My mom adopted a cat from the shelter. It had been declawed by previous owners. Why was it given up? After being declawed, he would attack and bite the fuck out of their ankles after the procedure.

When she adopted him, he attacked our ankles at first, but after a while, the ankle biting subsided. He is now a happy kitty even though he's not allowed to go outside being declawed, my mom feels he can't defend himself which I agree)

Moral of the story: even though vets will declaw cats, using the excuse that the cat will be abandoned otherwise, declawed cats that become aggressive because of being declawed will be abandoned too. Make declawing illegal, and it will make people who don't like cat claws reconsider owning a cat.

Declawing DOES NOT mean the family will not drop their declawed kitty off at the shelter for biting the fuck out of everyone.
>>
>>2218534
I used them for a while on my two cats. If you read the instructions, you have to clip the nail before putting the cap on, because an overgrown nail can cause complications. I didn't fucking read, so I put the caps on all my cat's grossly over-grown nails, and then the caps would get bent so I'd have to get scissors and cut them off. I waited a while before doing it again to that cat. Although she doesn't like being held or touched much, she is much more tolerant than the other cat.

My other cat I really would need two people to clip her nails; one to scruff, and one to clip. But no one helps so I scruff with the dominant hand and fumble with the clipping and glue and shit. I made sure to not fuck hers up because she is such a scardy cat that if I scarred her I may not see her for weeks.

About 3 years ago I stopped using the nail caps because I bought a really nice cat tree and didn't want it to go to waste, I want them to actually scratch it up.

If I can get caps on a semi-feral cat by myself, niggers shouldn't be bitching
>>
My parents suck at raising animals. I learned from an early age not to ask for animals.

>ask my parents for a puppy when I was 7
>we get a puppy
>my neurotic mum who loves everything tidy and clean gets annoyed after a few months because the dog chews on wires, pees on the floor, and generally acts like a puppy
>no longer wants the dog running loose around the house
>ties dog to my dads bedroom door
>only lets the dog loose in his bedroom, otherwise is tied to the door like people do with dogs outside
>the dog ia a hound dog so he's noisy and stubborn as well
>under a year after we get the dog my parents take him to a shelter

>be teenager around 17-18,
>my mum randomly wants budgies
>I try to talk her out of it but she wants birds because she likes their noises
>I give them a list of what they need and find an exotic vet for the birds
>they scoff at me, tell me that list is too expensive, and they don't have money for a vet
>they get two from pet store
>they just have a medium sized cage, a bird bath, two basic perches, a mirror, and two toys
>my mum refuses to let them out of the cage or even let me hand-tame them
>when one accidentally gets out of the cage she gets mad at it
>mum doesn't want me cleaning the cage, giving them food, etc because "they're my birds, not yours"
>the birds are very noisy (probably from boredom or stress) and she always complains about them
>one day maybe a year later I notice the female is puffy and quiet
>she's obviously sick but my parents have no cash for the vet
>I didn't have a job at the time so I couldn't do anything either
>bird randomly dies
>mum starts crying like it was her beloved pet when all she did was ignore it or complain
>other dies alone a few months later
>>
>>2218538

If you're so obsessed with your furniture that you'd amputate your cats toes and cause it endless torture, literally don't get a cat. No one is making you get a cat. Adopt a ferret or some other animal that won't claw up your furniture.
>>
I had never heard about declawing before coming here. Pretty sure that's illegal here in Norway and most European countries...
>>
>>2218633
It's been proven that cats in a shelter are less likely to be adopted, and spend more time in a shelter than non-declawed cats.

As for behavior studies done on cats at a shelter, I would only take with a very small grain of salt. Shelters are a confusing, scary place. Cats can't act out natural behaviors, get scared more often, and get next to no human contact. But when it comes to the raw adoption/surrender rates, there's not many variables in the shelter to fuck those up.

>>2218677
Yeah it's illegal in most of Europe, but vets can still make bank off of it in America.
>>
>>2218674
Your mom is the definition of a hypocrite.
>>
>>2218584
You can use them to cut hair though.
>>
>>2218674
To be fair, 7 is way too young to be buying a kid a puppy. If anything, at that age the parents should be buying a puppy because they want a puppy.

I find what helps in these situations is to do everything for them. It makes your parents feel very small having their children pay for and take care of a pet they wanted.

My mother did this with a betta in a bowl, and then when she added tetras to it I decided to go out, buy a ten gallon tank, get all the moon decorations that she said she always wanted to do for a fish tank, got some plants, a filter, set it all up, waited a while since I used tap water, and finally transitioned the fish. She was fucking livid, but those fish didn't live in a bowl any longer. And I had to live with it because I was 17 at the time. I still come over and do the maintenance though because she can't handle it.
>>
>>
>>2218577
If cutting off all of my child's knuckles is what it takes to keep them from drawing on the walls then so be it.
>>
Get ready for short but crazy ride:

>aged 9-10
>huge fan of animals (no shit)
>really love snakes and reptiles in general
>really wanted to be a herpetologist when I grew up during this time (and yeah I even knew that they were called that way at such a young age)
>school holds a fair - the kind with food/trinket stalls, and minigames that gives tickets and shit
>have a junior during this time around 2-3 years younger than me
>there's an animal stall selling chicks and a snake
>a fucking snake
>specifically, I recognize it's a babby King Snake
>my junior wants a pet but I know anything he buys will die in less than a week because he's a broke ass troglodyte
>junior says he really likes the snake and wants to buy it
>lolfuckno.jpg
>I ask him if he's sure he can take care of it
>"yeah because they're cool"
>tell him that's not a proper answer
>junior says he still thinks they're cool
>I contemplate buying it knowing that I'd take better care of it than this broke ass kid
>stall only takes tickets for the animals - 100 tickets for the snake in particular
>have only 30 tickets at the time
>fucking junior has 120 tickets
>junior ends up finally buying the snake as I lament its poor fate
>next few days I ask junior how the snake is doing
>junior says he didn't have anything to keep it in so he left it in the bird bath outside in his backyard
>days later ask him again how the snake has been doing
>junior says snake ate random small birds in the bird bath
>a few weeks pass by and ask junior about the snake again
>junior says the snake died because a stray cat hopped into their backyard and fucking ripped it to shreds
>the fucker wasn't even sad about it and was basically like "eh whatever"

I really wish I had 100 tickets that day.
>>
>>2218785
The difference is that you can get a child to not do that by simply not being a terrible parent. You can't train cats; they're dumb as shit
>>
my parents got a rhodesian ridgeback puppy when i was a kid and euthanized a year or two later when it turned out vicious

growing up and realizing what a shit, brainless, abusive job they did training and socializing it makes me fucking livid now

it probably would have turned out to be a really nice dog if they didn't completely fuck it up

i don't know how people can bring huge potentially dangerous animals into homes (with small children, no less) not knowing the first thing about how to keep them
>>
My uncle (I don't even know where he got the money) bought a jack russel. That poor dog, they keep him in their small house, most of the time outside on the tiny as fuck porch. Barks at everyone, in the month they had it I've only met it outside once with my aunt, and she acted as if she was walking a fuckin vicious pit bull (screaming "no" if the poor dog tried to like sniff around or go towards mine, getting dragged like a bitch). They were outside like 4 minutes, she saw another guy with a czechoslovakian wolf dog, and decided she was too scared to walk her fuckin dog.
This guy is also another idiot, his dog is absolutely untrained and tried to kill my small mutt. I wasn't there but my dad said he had to punch it on his nose to get it away from my dog. He got a wolf just because it looks cool, never had a dog before it as far as I am aware.
I wish I could talk to him and tell him to get some help to train his dog now that there's still time, but I don't really know him well and he would get butthurt over someone younger giving him advice
>>
>>2218196
Getting scratched by a cat is like the least frightening thing to ever happen, ever. Had this mog as a kid with a mean swipe. Got scratched up plenty whenever he'd had enough petting.

Have been scratched by several subsequent cats doing things like grooming and giving medication.

You wash it with soap and then slap some iodine on that scratch and you're done.

Why would you ever fear that.
>>
>>2218865
>czechoslovakian wolf dog
>he got a wolf just because it looks cool

far be it from me to condone anyone keeping a real wolf or wolf hybrid, but a czechoslovakian wolf dog isn't actually a wolf hybrid
>>
>>2218816
>what are scratch posts
are you literally retarded?
>>
Every goldfish owner ever:

>get fish from pet store
>put in small fishbowl
>feed flakes once or twice a day
>fish dies after 2 months
>flush down toilet
>buy new one
>repeat until bored of goldfish
>>
>>2218889
I didn't actually know this, interesting! I will look it up
>>
>>2218571
The vet is right though.
It's either declaw the cats and make sure they get the best post-op care possible, or send them back to the families who will no doubt find some problem with their cat and either throw it outside or put it in a shelter. Tbh if it meant more cats would be adopted, spayed/neutered, and taken care for I'd be for it.

>>2218785
Stop comparing a cat's claws to a baby's fingers. What a horseshit comparison.
>>
>>2218786
How did you have a child when you were 2 years old?
>>
>>2219004
declawing leads to other behavioural issues in a lot of cats, as has already been brought up in this thread.
>>
>>2218884

Yup. Buy a scratching post. The cat will use it.

As far as scratching kids, tell them not to pick the fucking thing up and throw it around.

If you can't handle everything that comes with a pet, don't get one.
>>
>>2218909
Not every cat will use that over furniture retard.
>>
My father use to literally punch our two late dogs as a form of punishment and kept them in cages when he didn't want to deal with them. I threatened to call the police but my mom stopped me cause he would lose his job if he got that attention. I eventually had to give them up (one to a good friend and the other to a neighbor). I didn't want to cause I loved them but I rather give them up than have my abusive father torture them. He acted like he knew what was best and how to 'train' them when in reality he just complained about them shitting or eating too much.
>>
>>2219124
Is your dad an alcohol by any chance anon?
>>
>>2219118

Not every dog will shit outside instead of on your couch, either.

>hurr cats can't be trained
>>
>>2219133
No they can't. That's why they're such shit pets
>>
>>2219136
OK, thx for your opinion!
>>
I had a friend in high school whose parents went through pets like toilet paper. They'd had numerous dogs and never trained them, and then gave them up only to buy a new puppy months later. Rinse and repeat.
>>
>>2218884
My mom got scratched and bite by a cat and her wounds got infected. That happened like 7 years ago and her legs are still scarred. Dont bullshit us by saying cat scratches are harmless. Their claws and teeth are dirty as fuck and carry bacteria.
>>
>>2219202
maybe your mom should've cleaned the scratches afterwards.
>>
>>2218538
This mindset is absolutely retarded. If you don't want an animal that is known for doing something, don't get the animal.

I don't want to get mauled and have shit on every surface of my house for example, so I don't own a monkey.
>>
>>2218592
Nah that ones just a derp
>>
>>2219209
Are you fucking retarded? Of course my mother clraned the scratches. Go project your stupidity elsewhere. Cats are nothing but glorified house plants.
>>
>>2219202
Yeah, and declawing does nothing to stop that shit. Sure you won't get scratched anymore, but the cat will realize pretty instantly it can't scratch, and will just start biting, which is even worse.
>>
>>2219293
yeah, best just not keep nasty ass dirty clawing bitey animals anywhere humans reside

fuck i hate cats
>>
>>2219294
Why do you have such a hateboner for cats? Jesus.

Like, just don't get a cat if you don't like them. What even does someone's life need to be like to lead them to shitpost about people keeping animals they personally wouldn't want?
>>
>>2219302
because everyone has one and they smell like ass
>>
>>2219126
Yes, he's a whisky
>>
>>2219302
not that anon, but almost everyone in my neighbourhood has at least one.
First of all, they kill the fish in my pond (and I don't have fuckin goldfish, I have expensive ones)
They also shit into my vegetable bed, which can be really dangerous.

And the worst thing is, that every neighbour with cats says it wasn't their cat. And it is my fauld that I don't secure my pond better in my own fucking garden, which is allready fenced off.

If one more fish is missing, I'll build an electric fence and plug it in without a transformator, let's see which stupid cat hangs in there in the morning then.

I have nothing against indoor cats desu, I just don't want one myself

I'm not the only one with these problems, one of my neighbours got his pool destroyed, his sandbox (which has a lid) destroyed and shat on and they literally also shit right into his lawn, just like on my property.

He said for every cat my dog catches, he will buy her a big steak.
>>
>>2219324
At that point, you ought to just rent a trap and take whatever cat enters your lawn to the humane society or whatever. Maybe having to pay to get their cats back will cause their owners to actually give half a shit.
>>
>>2218074
What manga is OP's pic from?
>>
>>2219324
I know that feel
>Set up big flytrap pot with a lot of sand for drainage
>Come home to find them uprooted and a big fat cat turd in it

I was very tempted to buy rat killer and mix it with chicken to kill that fucking pest since catfags can't be reasoned with. In the end I just built a cage to keep my plants safe because I didn't want to poison birds and other native fauna.
>>
>>2219386
I set up traps with normal, unpoisoned food first. That way I can avoid killing other wildlife. When it's a cat in there I definitely kill it.
>>
>>2219370
Boko no Haramu
>>
>>2219388
Hey um two questions.
How do you personally kill the cat in the trap? And
How do you effectively snap a cat's neck without getting scratched or bitten?
>>
>>2219421
I usually snap their necks. If you do it quickly enough they usually don't even have a chance to scratch or bite. If they're feisty you can restrain them using a towel or something similar. If you don't do that you can also poison them with antifreeze. I wouldn't do this until after the animal is caught because I wouldn't want to poison other random animals, but if you're not fond of snapping necks or shooting then that is easy too.
>>
>>2219293
This. It's just personal experience, but when I worked in the shelter, the declawed cats bite without a lot of warning and they bite hard. They know their main defense is gone, so they do not hesitate to use what they have left for minor things a non-mutilated cat wouldn't scratch for.
>>
>>2218914
I always threw my fish out the window
>>
>>2218557

native birds > filthy cats
>>
>>2219453
This. Most cat owners are too lazy and selfish to keep their cats stimulated so they just let them fend for themselves outdoors. Better to keep the native birds protected and have the cats hurt for a few days.
>>
>>2219455
>>2219453
Just keep the cats indoors and there won't be any problems for the birds. If you insist on letting them roam, just get them a bell.

I'm as anti-outdoor cats as the next guy, but the suffering caused by declawing is going too far.
>>
>>2219463
I would never neglect my animal by abandoning it outdoors, but cat owners aren't intelligent enough to do that.
>>
>>2218538
Americans are fucking insane
>>
>My mom impulsively buys a red-earred slider 10 years ago thinking it'd please her reptilehoarder boyfriend
>Reptilehoarder boyfriend leaves. Big surprise, he's a complete shitbird.
>Across those 10 years, no one really paid much attention to it. It was more maintenance than anyone thought it would be.
>I've always tended to it, albeit not very well, but we did not have a filter, a platform, water conditioner, or anything like that. I changed the water as much as I could but I was skinny and frail, I wasn't strong enough to lift the tank completely with water and all.
>At times we'd forget that the poor thing even existed.
>Visit mom recently
>I hear a slooshing around...
>The fucking thing is in a small ass rubbermaid.

I took it off her hands, but honestly I don't really have the money for a full on setup. I'm legit surprised it's lived this long on hotdogs and lettuce.

All I've got is a 70 gallon tote, some pond liner, a filter, and some chicken fencing. I'm working on the smaller stuff, but it's gonna be awhile before I have a full-fledged setup going.
>>
>>2218538
kill yourself.
>>
>>2219324
Well yeah, fuck people with outdoor cats, but I meant indoor stuff. If someone is keeping a cat outdoors they probably arent worried about it scratching their shit up.
>>
>>2219455
You have to keep a declawed cat indoors, so very few people get it done on a previously indoor-outdoor or outdoor cat. It's usually cats that were already going to be indoor only that have it done to them.
Also, it doesn't just hurt for a few days. The post you responded to mentioned the chronic pain issues and early arthritis it causes.
>>
>>2219471
sounds pretty amazing. got any pics?
>>
>>2219517

Might if I find a way to fix my phone, but yeah man...

The poor thing's got some history.

Also, if anyone is versed in herpetology, specifically dealing with turtles, terrapins, and tortises, is an 8" shell length a healthy adult size for a female RES? I read somewhere that they grow bigger, but she's been the same size as when we got her. If so, how old would you figure that makes her?
>>
>>2219471

I have an 11 year old female RES whose just a little over 8" and actually a similar story to yours.

>dad brought home a tiny slider given by a friend from work
>kept in a tiny ass plastic tank "meant for a betta fish" while it was already 3" (I'd guess it's at least a yearling) fed nothing but dried shrimp and fucking fish flakes
>took it in but as a middle school kid, couldn't do shit
>researched a bunch of shit in how to care for it
>parents don't like spending a whole bunch of shit for it while dad not willing to spend anything at all on it, making any kind of improvement I want to do a difficult losing negotiation.
>through out the years went through really shitty conditions, from plastic tote to 10g and a tiny night light as a basking light, to 20g with a shitty filter, then a 36g with a shitty heater and real basking lamp for once.
>this became the setup for like 6 years and did what I could do to maintain it. (they didn't want to get anything they can't carry)
>fast forward to fresh out of college but umemployed, turtle developed a shell issue thought to be shell rot
>freak the fuck out because I care more about it than my folks, but nothing I could do beyond whatever I looked up how to treat it.
>eventually landed a part time job, saved up and then splurged to all hell in a bigger tank, 2 canister filters, bigger heater, DIY basking spot, and a trip to the vet

She's living in a 90g, which is all I can really fit until I can move out. And according to the vet, it's more of a scar than shell rot. She's doing much better nowadays but still recovering. But it seems RES are hardy as shit (probably why they're good at being invasive)

Also try craigslist, you can find tons of cheap shit there

>>2219635

Really not sure if it's considered healthy or not but I have sometimes heard some females averaging to 8"-11" only with the potential of growing to 12" or more. Most sites only give the max sizes to warn how big females can potentially get.
>>
>>2218083

NAILED IT.
>>
>>2219202
What do you think the washing and the iodine were for? Fun?
>>
>>2218538
pls be bait, if not then just....
>>
>>2219804
>But it seems RES are hardy as shit

I'll believe it. What a fantastic creature.
>>
>friend in high school has two small dogs
>notice they wear diapers
>wtf, friend says because they are impossible to house break
>year later they get a beautiful husky
>just keep him chained up in the backyard to a table
>weather gets to 90-110 degrees
I don't know how that dog is still alive, I nonstop think about it
>>
>cousin gets pregnant Chihuahua to sell puppies
>dumps dog at parents house
>his teenage brother takes care of the dog and her puppies
>other cousin never actually comes around and sells the puppies
>aunt stuck with dog
>they don't train the dogs, literally never take the puppies outside, never take them to the vet, etc
>they just run around the house and poop on the floor
>they keep the dogs for 2 or 3 years
>one day I ask them what happened to them
>I don't remember about the puppies but they tied the mom up in a park and left her there

Ugh. I personally don't trust anyone in my family with pets. My other cousin has a cat but I dare not ask him about it.
>>
>in medical office that has a nice big saltwater aquarium 75-100 gallon maybe?
>watching the fish
>don't know much about fish breeds but they've got around 10 large fish
>all of the fish are hovering in the corners
>one fish in the middle
>every few minutes one fish will come out of the corner
>bully fish chases it back into the corner
>sitting in the waiting area for an hour
>not a single fish crosses the tank
>all of them crammed together in the corners
>bully fish has 2/3 of the tank to himself

I wanted to say something but I didn't know enough about fish to tell the receptionist what the issue was aside from "That one fish is a problem" so I just let it go.
>>
>>2218083
Underrated post
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.