[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can we solve the Cat Question?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 13

File: cat-bird.jpg (961KB, 1400x785px) Image search: [Google]
cat-bird.jpg
961KB, 1400x785px
They've led 400 species into extinction in the past five years alone.

There are 3 million feral cats in Australia right now. Some estimates reach 5 to 6 million.
>>
>inb4 hurr durr cats have lived with humans forever
>hurr durr vet propaganda
>hurr durr your a shill
>hurrr durr kill you self
Hopefully that troll got hit by a car, just like the feral cats he loves
>>
>>2217498
>They've led 400 species into extinction in the past five years alone
Oh shit. is that true? Do you have a source on that?
>>
>>2217510
that's in australia alone.

you can easily google it.
>>
File: CUTE.jpg (337KB, 1016x1422px) Image search: [Google]
CUTE.jpg
337KB, 1016x1422px
CATS ARE CUTE!!!
>>
>>2217516
can't find a source that doesn't make it look like OP is switching numbers.

just more anti-cat propaganda.
>>
>>2217516
>you can easily google it
not really. Please link your source
>>
Cats should become a free training target for everyone.

These useless P.O.S have been the reason for the extinction of many species who didn't adapt to owners stupidity.
>>
File: 0k.png (226KB, 653x691px) Image search: [Google]
0k.png
226KB, 653x691px
>>2217521
pick your own.
>>
cats are garbage

i wouldn't care if they went extinct tomorrow
>>
>>2217528
nice try, none of those are 1. a good source and 2. actually back up what was said.
>>
>>2217528
They really have a cat problem down there. Didnt know this.

https://www.thedodo.com/australia-kill-feral-cats-1253963938.html
>Australia announced this week that it would kill 2 million feral cats by 2020 in an effort to save native wildlife

Australia just keeps getting problems with invasive species. Dont they still have that toad problem?
I imagine it being a nightmare to controle this shit
>>
>>2217536
>223k results.
>b-b-but those 3!!!
go spoonfeed yourself.
>>
>>2217540
>source: Google
>>
>>2217539
pretty much every island with cats on it has a serious problem with them.

it wouldn't be hard to fix if uneducated housemothers would stop protesting against it.
>>
File: homo_sapiens.jpg (849KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
homo_sapiens.jpg
849KB, 2000x1500px
>>2217498
>They've led 400 species into extinction in the past five years alone.
are you sure humans didnt have a part in this?
cats are only one stressor contributing to species' decimation, and one arguably caused by humans anyway.

pic related is the real problem we need to solve
>>
>>2217542
google lists sources, it isn't a source itself.

>da google iz wrong :(((
>wikipodia iznt trustworthy cuz everyoen can editttt it :(((((
>>
>>2217543
But even then. Once you got a rather big population, it is actually really hard to get rid of it/ reduce it to a reasonable amount.
>>
>>2217545
exactly.
please back up your statements
>>
>inb4 hurr durr muh cat is speshul
>>
>>2217547
>it is actually really hard to get rid of it
spread FIV, done.

australia doesn't have any native felines.
>>2217548
high school tier reasoning.
>>
>>2217498
If everyone would pitch in and kill cats that enter their property we could take care of the problem. It would decrease the outdoor cat population and make cat owners realize how stupid they are.
>>
>>2217555
i broke a kitten's neck a few weeks ago

my friend won't talk to me but it's was worth it
>>
>>2217554
>still not backing up your claim
>>
>>2217548
k google scholar then
here is a paper in a journal

>Synthesis and applications.This is the first study to provide direct evidence that cats are
capable of extirpating small mammals in a continental setting, in spite of their low population densities. This finding supports the hypothesis that predation by feral cats is contributing to
declines of small mammals in northern Australia. The conservation management of native small mammals in northern Australia may require intensive control of cat populations,
including large cat-free enclosures.

Gee that was hard
I hate non-literate people
>>
>>2217560
nothing is said there that backs up OPs claim. tru again.
>>
>>2217559
i backed it up it's up to you to pick any source you'd like and read it now.

i gave you 223k examples.
>>2217560
he wont read it, dont bother.
>>
>>2217560
it doesnt say, that they "led 400 species into extinction in the past five years alone"
>>
>>2217562
try even
>>
>>2217563
>it's up to you to pick any source
So I have to backup your statement for you?
Thats not how it works. Give source or we have to assume you are full of shit
>>
>>2217564
>it doesnt say
you didn't read it, you don't know if it's mentioned later in the article.
>>
File: 1473309310746.jpg (52KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1473309310746.jpg
52KB, 640x640px
>>2217566
>spoonfeed me
no, pick your own source, I provided you with a way to find them.
>>
>>2217568
it's called substantiating a claim. so far all you anti-cat fags have been unable to do so.
>>
>>2217510
>>2217516
Aussies honestly deserve it for being retarded.
>durr lets release some dingos with poison capsules in there stomachs that will kill them at some point so we can control a goat problem instead of shooting them
>>
>>2217570
there's 223k worth of it.

good luck reading.
>>
>>2217572
it's not just australia.

my country for example has the largest feral horse colony in europe, and nothing is being done about it because people don't know the difference between wild and feral.
>>
>>2217567
it doesnt say anywhere, that cats "led 400 species into extinction in the past five years alone".
It only talks about cats threadening wildlife populations and even says that there is no clear evidence for a lot extinctions being caused by cats
>>
>>2217544
There's no point in explaining it to plont. He doesn't understand if we weren't killing off predators then feral cats wouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>2217573
>I cant backup my claim
>>
>>2217573
Just because there that many links doesn't mean they are all related to the search. The only Google search that matters are in the first two pages.
>>
>>2217558
You're doing gods work anon.
>>
>>2217576
>it doesnt say anywhere
you wouldn't know since you didn't read it.
>>2217578
> if we weren't killing off predators
they're extinct in most of the west, australia doesn't have any native predators capable of getting rid of their feral cat problem, pretty much no island does.
>>2217580
>I can't read
its fine i kno
>>
>>2217573
>google "the sky is green"
>60.200.000 results
>guys, that clearly means that the sky is green
>>
>>2217583
http://www.ecoinformatics.org.au/sites/default/files/Frank_2014_JApplEcol_Experimentalevidenceferalcatslocalextirpationmammals.pdf

>Cats have been spread world-wide by people (Denny &
Dickman 2010), and while it is clear they have caused
extinction of many vertebrate species on islands (Dickman
1992; Bonnaud et al. 2011; Medina et al. 2011; Loss, Will
& Marra 2013), there is much less evidence for impact on
continental faunas

>Although Australia’s Commonwealth Threat Abatement
Plan for predation by feral cats (2008) lists 36 mammals
as threatened by cats, evidence linking feral cats to past
mammalian extinctions is equivocal (Denny & Dickman
2010), except in a few instances on Australian islands
(Dickman 1992).

It says it nowhere. In fact it contradicts your statement. You are full of shit
>>
>>2217585
huh
>>
>>2217585
you'd get plenty of interesting sources.

which is pointless if you're not going to read them anyway though.
>>
>>2217570
Feral cats on islands have contributed to at least14% of bird, mammal and reptile extinctions globally (Med-ina et al.
, 2011), including those of 16 mammals in Australia (Johnson, 2006), and have caused the failure of numerous reintroduction attempts for threatened mammal species (Christensen & Burrows, 1994; Gibson et al. , 1994; Potts
et al. , 2012).

Says 400 animals found in their diet and caused many extinctions

Not 400 extinctions like OP said but surely even an idiot like you can grasp that there are at least 5 sources i've given you that wild cats are bad so you should kill them
>>
File: 2701702060_44756eb36d_o.jpg (887KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
2701702060_44756eb36d_o.jpg
887KB, 1632x1224px
>>2217588
>Denny & Dickman
>>
>>2217591
just point out the particular source which you base your statement on
>>
>>2217594
i haven't made any statements, you should ask OP not me.
>>
>>2217592
>wild cats are bad so you should kill them

what wild cats? these are feral, domesticated animals we're talking about. wild cats are a completely different species.
>>
>>2217596
okay "feral" cats then

cats, dogs and cows would be much better off extinct desu
>>
>>2217595
so you're defending a claim you have no idea is true or not?
>>
>>2217596
australians don't know the difference between wild and feral, the dutch don't either, hence why they have similar problems.
>>2217602
im not defending a claim im just making fun of you.

>>2217599
>and cows
stay away from my hamburgers, cunt.
>>
>>2217604
>im not defending a claim im just making fun of you.

this is why nobody takes you seriously.

>stay away from my hamburgers, cunt.
if cats were delicious people would be defending them too.

cows do far more damage to the environment than feral cats.
>>
>>2217607
>wanting to be taken seriously on the taiwanese bubble tea bulletin board on a anime website.

>if cats were delicious people would be defending them too
but they're not, their meat is disgusting.
>>
File: catburger.jpg (14KB, 250x300px) Image search: [Google]
catburger.jpg
14KB, 250x300px
>>2217608
if mcdonald's starts selling a catburger everyone would be happy.
>>
>>2217612
feral horse burgers wouldn't taste bad I think.
>>
>>2217560
>hypothesised cause

Pathetic.
You literally can not post anything that proves cats are a cause.
You're as bag as that plossy faggot that cant link shit.
>>
I let my cat outside all the time and he kills mice, moles, and rabbits. I give him wet food as a prize for each kill because I also shoot squirrels and rabbits on my property so he's helping me out. I feed a stray cat that comes by every morning bit don't let him in because he isn't fixed. I do shoot dogs that wander around with an air rifle though. Doesn't kill them but does put a hole in them so if their stray they die and of not someone learns to watch their dog.
>>
>>2217498
Catz are master race.
Burdz are fewd.
Live with it.
>>
>>2217938
Don't be surprised if your piece of shut cat gets run over
>>
>>2217973
Piece of shit* lmao. Or shot.
>>
trap and kill them.

Just avoid killing actual wild cats.
>>
>>2218138
Also to actually get people to do it. Offer reward money for each cat killed. If the cat is a pet then it is returned to the owner and the owner receives a fine. repeated offenses lead to jail time and are put on a list of people who cannot own pets.
>>
File: 129958-004-C9B8B89D.jpg (18KB, 343x450px) Image search: [Google]
129958-004-C9B8B89D.jpg
18KB, 343x450px
I'm getting tired of this.

Doesn't anyone have an actual solution?
>>
>>2218145
It would be nice if something like that worked to help conservation, but it wouldn't. Sickos would take great delight in going after pet cats, and there would be roving gangs of edgy kids with air rifles, pot bellies and mullets going around suburbs. Genuine feral cats in more rural areas would be left relatively unaffected, whereas pet outdoor cats in already-fucked urban areas would be genocided by people looking to make easy money, rather than to help nature. The primary problem would remain unsolved.
>>
>>2218145
>Offer reward money for each cat killed.

People would begin breeding cats for the sake of killing them for profit. Governments have tried stuff like this before with other species and this is what happened.
>>
File: thatface.jpg (148KB, 500x475px) Image search: [Google]
thatface.jpg
148KB, 500x475px
>>2217498
>How can we solve the Cat Question?

Plont please go.
>>
>>2217498
>They've led 400 species into extinction in the past five years alone.

Australians keep roadkilling animals, there are over 1000 dead animals a year. How do we solve the invasive Australian species?
>>
>>2218644
>Genuine feral cats in more rural areas would be left relatively unaffected
There really isn't a problem with feral cats in rural settings. If you see a group of ferals in the country it's because the farmer is feeding them, and think they are worth having to keep thier barns free of mice.
Feral and stray cats are a problem in urban settings. There are too many predators in the country, not to mention majority of cats depend on humans anyway.
>>
>>2218665
>Governments have tried stuff like this before with other species and this is what happened.
they used to do it with moles here and it worked pretty well.
>>
>>2218684
You dont. The privilege of driving is a necessary evil, therefore worth the damage caused.
Crazy cat lady's herd of sickly cats are not. Sorry the world is not always flowers and rainbows.
>>
>>2217583
Oh shit is plont the new bugguy?
>>
>>2218814
It's the same person.
>>
Imagine if insects were as cute as cats.

>Anon, you have spiders on the corner of your ceiling, you have ants in your pantry, you have wasps in your backyard, and you have cockroaches in your garage! Why don't you get rid of them???????
>"THEY'RE CUTE!"
>>
File: Devil_Bug_0.jpg (35KB, 383x404px) Image search: [Google]
Devil_Bug_0.jpg
35KB, 383x404px
>>2218840
but anon-kun
>>
>>2218840
imagine if cancer was as cute as cats.

>b-but anon you have to go to the doctor, it's killing you!!!

>I don't want to! it's too cute!
>>
>>2218817
Oh ok, haven't been on /an/ for a while
>>
>>2218840
Why would I want to get rid of spiders? I like being surrounded by life.
>>
>>2217498
Do whatever you want in the new world, but cats are pretty much native to the old world, so leave us alone with your autism.
>>
>>2218942
I get uncomfortable when there aren't any spiders in a room.

a healthy well ventilated living space never lacks spiders.
>>
>>2217498
First of all, understand their native historic range with paleobiogeographical research (I think we are already good here). Leave these areas alone.

Impose penalties on keeping cats outdoors, releasing strays, etc. No point in attempting to resolve the problem if it will just rear its head again. This is pretty easy because it only has to be national at first, but legislation in some countries is very difficult to push (USA is an example; Australia should be smoother).

Use CRISPR or other gene-modifying technologies to produce a virus which targets cats and innocuously reduces fertility. This is obviously the gist of the solution, but requires large funding and scrupulous monitoring.

No injured or dead cats, and the legislative precedent, and fathomable the scientific procedures, would be transferable to other programs targeting invasives.
>>
>>2218948
>other gene-modifying technologies to produce a virus which targets cats and innocuously reduces fertility
just infect them with fiv.

wild cats in areas that have ferals are doomed anyway.
>>
>>2217498
It's simple, op. We gather the worlds NEET population and release them into the Australian outback with only one guiding principle: 1 dead cat = 1 tendy
>>
>>2218948
>fathomable scientific procedures
Yeah, good luck trying to release a "gene modiefied virus" in Burgerstan. They will literally shit themselves
>shart in mart
>>
>>2218957

Rumor has it Bugguy is already boarding the plane.
>>
>>2218957
tendies you say?
>>
>>2218957
How do you intend to control the exploding NEET population after that?
>>
>>2218957

>have NEETs bring carcass back
>start making trendies out of cats

The lowest cost removal procedure ever.
>>
>>2218976
I don't like chicken.
>>
>>2219322
>NEETs
>reproducing
>>
>>2219346

What about cat meat?
>>
>>2218951
That causes death though, eventually, while the cats can still reproduce, and it is difficult to contract. It's not at all effective means of population control, which is why I always find it funny when conspiracy theorists posit that HIV is man-made.

>>2218975
Man we already have GMO food here, I'm eating GMO cookies as I write this lmao, but anyway people aren't directly involved in government here, so the only real impediment is the lack of opportunity for profit.

I did mention that it would be more difficult to pass laws here, and I agree with you overall.
>>
>>2219346
How much of a contrarian cunt can one gay gook be
>>
>>2218976
well he is the self proclaimed king of NEETs, so that checks out
>>
>>2219365
>we already have GMO food here, I'm eating GMO cookies

I know, but they don't
>>
>>2219364
cat meat is even worse.
>>2219365
>That causes death though
isn't that the point?
>and it is difficult to contract
naturally, so we just have to spread it unnaturally.
>>2219407
that would be you, I don't spend my entire day shitposting on /an/ like you do.
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.