[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Adopted another dog to be with a blind dog

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: 00A0A_dsOb5mr7tIN_600x450.jpg (21KB, 590x450px) Image search: [Google]
00A0A_dsOb5mr7tIN_600x450.jpg
21KB, 590x450px
My dog went blind about a year or two ago. I live in Canada and was contacted about a dog down south in San Bernardino in a high kill shelter who was to be put down last week but an activist got a hold put on it. The dog is an absolute cutey, happy with others, and if I don't adopt him he'll be put down.
I would love to have him, but my sole concern is how my dog will take it.
My dog is 9, and this dog is 4. Both male, both fixed, both are medium sized Spitz (Schiperke and this new one is a small Shepard).

Has anyone introduced a new dog into a house with a blind dog? I'm concerned about stressing him out but at the same time I can't stand the thought of knowing I let this new dog be euthanized.

Pic related, the new dog
>>
File: 20160719_182350.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160719_182350.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>2216047
And here is my current doggo
>>
I have no experience with blind dogs but my suggestion would be to separate them at first. Put the new dog in a place the blind dog doesn't usually go (so you're not making a drastic change to the blind dog's mental layout of the house). Let the blind dog get used to the smell and sounds of the new dog. Maybe let them meet each other through a gate. Barrier frustration would be a pain but I feel like it's important to keep it slow, at least at first.

Even if things end up not working out, you've saved a dog from death row. You can find him another home if need be.
>>
>>2216047
Hey op
My friend has a blind dog.
She's old (14 now)
They got a new dog for her son.
Now the blind dog relys on the new dog. I took the new dog to the vet and she had to stay there overnight, blind dog was tripping out all night.
I think blind dog feels more secure when new dog alerts on visitors and such.
Also easier for blind dog to move around the backyard when she can hear new dog in a specific spot.

When you go to San Bernardino, stop off and see the beach in Malibu.
>>
>>2216065
That's good to know. Main concern is that it's either going to amazing for my blind dog or awful for him.
If I take him they'll truck him up to me, unfortunately .
>>
Hey, OP, dunno if you'd find this useful, but some time ago I saw this thing called Muffin's Halo, it's a ring that goes around a blind dog's head to prevent them from hitting their face on objects in an unfamiliar area. Dunno if that's anything you'd want to get/make, but thought it was worth a shot.
>>
File: PostcardBanner1.jpg (492KB, 1485x404px) Image search: [Google]
PostcardBanner1.jpg
492KB, 1485x404px
>>2216073
not OP but omg so cute
>>
>>2216073
He's very good at not hitting walls, he has the layout memorized. He can even sprint from end to end, we think he may be able to faintly see shadows. Thanks, though
>>
>>2216079
Blind dog/new dog guy here- blind dog has the property memorized. Once she knows where she is she's fine.
She'll run up the stairs like a puppy. Biggest issue is out in the grassy yard where there's no physical points to hit.
>>
I say go for it, OP. It's about time seeing eye dogs started giving back to their community.
>>
>>2216047
Nigger if the dog gets euthanized it wouldn't be your fault. Why not just adopt a puppo from your province?

Unless you just really really like this dog then by all means make the drive down there.
>>
File: buddy.jpg (88KB, 508x895px) Image search: [Google]
buddy.jpg
88KB, 508x895px
My parents bred their GSDs and we got a blind pupper out of the litter that they kept. He manages fine, but blind dogs really do a hell of a lot better with company. Nearly all dogs do better with company. Our blind doggy gets incredibly depressed and lonely if the other dogs are away for whatever reason.

So long as the new dog is friendly your blind dog will be vastly happier with a friend.

Pic related. He has torch eyes because his iris doesn't contract at all. He has no optical nerves. Apparently its quite a common genetic defect in GSDs. Needless to say my parents didn't breed them again.
>>
>>2216061
Pretty much this go for it OP, they will most likely be bros after a while, just keep an eye on them for a while when he first arrived to make sure they won't fight and take things slow
>>
>>2216047
>>2216047

Can cameras even see blind dogs?

I think NOT
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.