[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ask a Herpetologist Anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 9

File: yawn.gif (993KB, 244x165px) Image search: [Google]
yawn.gif
993KB, 244x165px
Hey, recent grad here, long-time snake enthusiast and reptile keeper. Ask me anything about snake care, identification (Pacific Northwest is my specialty), how-to, cage building, anything.

Just to get common questions out of the way:

1. Yes I am a recent grad. I have experience in field work, as well as laboratory work. I want to work on snake venom proteins for use in Alzheimer's research.

2. I keep Western hognose, reticulated pythons, kenyan sand boas, red-tailed boas (he's a mutt, not sure if constrictor or imperator, might be a mix of both), and royal pythons.

3. If you don't know what it is, don't touch it or harass it.
>>
File: 22900051434_03b158dd64_b.jpg (267KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
22900051434_03b158dd64_b.jpg
267KB, 1024x683px
you're not very knowledgeable and are not a herpetologist.
I wish you'd leave.
>>
File: 1471336371193.gif (170KB, 800x336px) Image search: [Google]
1471336371193.gif
170KB, 800x336px
>>2213739
I've answered quite a few questions accurately, helped other people and had wonderful conversations here. Deal with it.
>>
File: cxefFOY.gif (2MB, 400x310px) Image search: [Google]
cxefFOY.gif
2MB, 400x310px
>>2213738
I started my lawnmower and decapitated a snake
I panicked and threw the moving body into the neighbor's yard and then their dog ate it

I just heard them this evening talking about taking the dog to the vet because their dog has been ill

Did I give the neighbor's dog my autism?
>>
>>2213738
Do Tegus have a higher range of emotions than other reptiles or is that horse shit made by Tegu owners?
>>
File: 1470898831521.gif (2MB, 300x264px) Image search: [Google]
1470898831521.gif
2MB, 300x264px
>>2214033
>>
>>2214042
All reptile owners make up lies. They think snakes show them affection.
>>
>>2214033
More like salmonella.
Reptiles carry that I hear.
>>
File: 1471336308652.gif (183KB, 800x300px) Image search: [Google]
1471336308652.gif
183KB, 800x300px
>>2214042
Tegus are certainly intelligent, but I think most of it is probably anthropomorphizing by their owners. I haven't owned a tegu, nor has much been published about their intelligence that I know of. I do know they do possess an ability for basic reasoning (IE if I do this, this happens. If I poke this baton with my nose, I get a treat).

TL;DR scientifically the jury's out. If anyone manages to ferret up any studies, Id love to read them.
>>
>>2214052
It could also be anything from parasites to an outside factor (dogs being like two year olds in that everything and anything goes in their mouths). I wouldn't rule salmonella out, especially if the dog has been vomiting or has runny/bloody stools.
>>
>>2214033
The other neighbor's cat ate the head
Have not seen him since
>>
How often do guys in your field make fun of people who study birds for a living?
>>
>>2214062
I don't know, the only joke we had passed around the lab was yelling "HAST DU EIN VOGEL?" (German for "Do you have a bird" = "Are you fucking crazy") at the ornithology professor.
>>
>>2213738
How do you feel about the kind of people that own snakes as an accessory?
You know like edgelords.
>>
>>2214079
I really don't like people like that. Edgelords usually go for a boa constrictor, or sometimes a retic/burm/rattlesnake/cobra. Large animals or venomous animals that need strict control and a well-established knowledge base before someone even THINKS of owning them.

I owned snakes for 10 years before one of the 'giants' dropped into my lap, and even then I wasn't sure if I was ready for him.

This is why you see things about escaped cobras on the news and a retic losing patience with a child and attacking it. Not because they're evil animals or they want to eat people, it's because their owners haven't taken the time to keep them securely.

TL;DR I'd hit it...with a fucking brick.
>>
>>2214288
the emerald tree boa says "oh god why is my face covered in all these crappy heat sensors, I wish I was born a pit viper"
>>
>>2214301
Judging by their personalities in general, I think most of them are trying to be!
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.