[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/traininggeneral/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 1

File: 58-01-1.png (3MB, 1440x1780px) Image search: [Google]
58-01-1.png
3MB, 1440x1780px
My pupper has very sharp teeth and likes to bite people. She is rottweiler/german sheppard and I dont want her to be dangerous when older

How do I stop her from biting?
>>
There are two popular options to train "bite inhibition" in puppies:

1) When she bites you, punt her across the room. She will learn quickly.
2) When she bites you, yelp in a loud pitch, turn your back on her, and ignore her for a minute or two.

Either option is viable.
>>
>>2213698
As soon as she bites, completely ignore her. Don't even acknowledge her until she calms down. Giving her a chew toy before you ignore her may help too.
>>
>>2213704
or you could just hit it
>>
>>2213707
Hitting it won't work. You have to punt it.
>>
You could just blow in its face or at its ear if it hates it. Alternatively a light tap on the snout, say something firm and ignore it. Just ignoring it doesn't get the point across. The tap/blow to get its attention, and eventually they will associate the command with that and in no time the command should be good enough.
>>
How do you train a pupper to pee outside? I let her out every hour or so but she still pisses inside.

I show her it and giver her a little slap on the nose/rub her nose in it

Any advice lads?
>>
>>2213731
When she pees, are you around to bring her outside or does she only pee when you're not around to intervene
>>
>>2213731
stop hitting the dog and don't rub its nose in it. when you notice it getting ready to piss, take it outside. if you catch it in the act of pissing inside, yell loudly so it stops and take it outside immediately. give it a lot of praise and treats when it pisses outside.
>>
>>2213751
>stop hitting the dog
wtf why?
>>
>>2213781
Because if you don't catch her in the act, she doesn't make the connection between being hit and peeing inside. She's a dog, you can't show her the pee and get her to understand that way.
All you are teaching her that you will hit her randomly at times and it can cause aggressive behavior.
>>
>>2213783
That's not what I meant. You catch it in the act and smack it.
>>
>>2213731
Would you look at that, even fucking WebMD has a how to on puppy training
http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/house-training-your-puppy

What does /an/ think of trainers like kikopup and Jeff Gellman (solidk9training)? I've been watching some of their videos, and I like what I see so far
>>
>>2213792
>Jeff (((Gellman)))
>>
Is it really that bad to smack a dog? I don't mean like beat it or anything but a firm tap on its nose or snout to get your point across.
>>
>>2213799
Not really, just depends on the temperament of the dog really. Some dogs might piss all over themselves and others might just look at you like "well shit, is that all you got?" Some digs might respond better to just being startled by you shouting "NO"

Dogs correct each other all the time. The important thing to keep in mind is that you don't do it well after the fact, it has to be immediate otherwise the dog won't make the association. Dogs might correct each other, but they don't injure each other or hold grudges afterwards. They both just get over it really quick.
>>
>>2213807
>>2213799
Oh yeah and don't do it to a puppy. Distract and redirect a puppy's attention. You can't really correct puppies. Older dogs know to be more patient with them as well.
>>
>>2213807
Yeah I understand correcting a dog has to be during the act not after because they wont connect the two but I hear a lot of people saying physical correction is never a good idea.
>>
>>2213812
>You can't really correct puppies

Not with this attitude
>>
>>2213698
When she does it next quickly and gently place her on her back, grasp each of her cheeks, and in a firm voice tell her "no!"
>b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but, a-a-a-anon, that's so abusive! S-s-s-s-s-s-she'll be afraid of me for life after!
Not even in the slightest unless you're already an abusive piece of shit or a mongoloid that differentiate between when negative reinforcement is and isn't appropriate.
>>
>>2213813
>but I hear a lot of people saying physical correction is never a good idea.

Because of the whole positive only dog training craze. I could go on about how dumb that shitshow has been, but it will come to pass. It might not be a problem often with good tempered dogs or if you always have good control on where they are so if that's how somebody wants to train and nobody is getting hurt then they're welcome to subscribe to that method.

Physical corrections are fine, but the thing you have to keep in mind is you're not punishing the dog. You're adding something to the training to change their behavior. Like I said earlier though, it does depend on the temperament of the dog. German Shepherds don't get bothered by corrections as much as say a poodle would.
>>
>>2213799
It's definitely unnecessary when causing a startle or giving them a pinch can be just as effective.
For example, if I'm at the point where I feel negative reinforcement is necessary then I'll let off one loud clap as a final warning. My pups always got the point and would stop doing whatever it is I don't like.
>>
>>2213836
Negative reinforcement is different than positive punishment.

What you're describing is positive punishment
You're adding the loud clap to discourage behavior.
>>
My dog lunges and barks at loud engines. He always has, and I have had continual difficulty training it out of him. Do you think if I continued to work on his focus, I could get him past it? Positive punishment is out od the question, imo, because it is clearly a fear response, and the punishment may reinforce the reason to fear that noise.

I want to avoid a prong collar or leader harness, as I don't know if this will teach him the desired behavior.
>>
>>2213846
buy a shock collar
>>
>>2213847
I don't think that is the solution. Using those kinds of techniques to a fearful dog could, and probably only will, reinforce his fear response. He is clearly terrified of the loud noise, adding a negative stimulus will be counterproductive.
>>
>>2213850
>I don't think that is the solution
well then fuck you and your retarded dog. don't come asking for help if you don't want it
>>
Should I play with my puppy every time he wants too? I have a five month old puppy and he constantly wants to play and while I do play with him a lot he never seems satisfied with the amount of play time. When ever I have free time I play with him but sometimes I have homework and things like that so I can't play with him is it wrong to ignore him?
Also how do I get him okay with being alone? Whenever I leave his sight he cries and whines for a long time I wont even be gone that long. Right now I wait until he stops but I feel like its not working.
>>
>>2213854
You are presumably not the only person in this thread. There are others who can contribute.

And for two, I am not against shock collars. Hell, I place to use one when I start to train him to mush to improve his focus and keep him focused on mushing. But using one to punish a fearful dog has got to be one of the worst places to use one.
>>
>>2213836
Wouldn't a pinch be about the same as a tap?
Loud sharp noises don't really work on him I've tried it before and all he does is bark back and gets more hyper than before.
>>
>>2213698
Water spray it's face.

He might keep biting but at he presence of a sparyer it will retreat.
>>
>>2213836
Whenever someone picks up my puppy or has theyre face close to his reach he likes to nip at they're faces with his sharp teeth. Would that be an an appropriate time to give him a tap or pinch?
>>
>>2213929
Puppy nipping/biting
https://youtu.be/m9KQegi4r8k

>>2213861
Puppies will show signs when they are tired and it is important to not push them beyond that limit. Besides that they can play, but long walks aren't a good idea until they are done growing.

>https://youtu.be/LGxhcb-itO4
>>
>>2213936

Disregard this faggot.
>>
>>2213846
Fear responses are tricky, because you don't want to punish or reward the behavior. A good first step is preparing yourself to react to the situation, because dogs read emotions. If you freak out, he'll freak out more. Its a little tricky with something as random and quick as a loud engine, but when it happens 1. Act like the engine is the best fucking thing to ever happen ever 2. Try to distract the dog. Call its name, play with it, give it treats. Basically you want to show the dog that the engine isn't something to be scared of while also creating the association in its mind that when it hears an engine, good things happen.
>>
(sorry for double posting)

>>2213861
It's not wrong to ignore him. He needs to learn to play by himself and that you exist to do more than play with him. It know its heartbreaking to turn down his invitation to play or to hear him crying, but the best thing to do is just leave him alone. As for the crying specifically, practice leaving him alone when you don't actually have somewhere to go. Put him in his room/crate/whatever and let him cry himself out. It will suck and be very annoying. Once he quiets down for a few minutes straight, go let him out and reward him. Keep doing this and eventually he'll figure out that crying won't get him anything, but being good will.
>>
>>2213870
The thing is that I conditioned my dogs to recognize a single firm clap to mean that punishment is soon to follow.
>>2213929
>>2213929
A firm "no" will suffice if it's just gentle nipping and it's actually a puppy (few weeks old - 4months). Tbqh though, this is normal behavior for almost every puppy I've handled and usually ends on its own.
If the "puppy" is an adolescent or adult (~5months and beyond) then you want to cause an extinction of that behavior.
My personal method is begin with firm "no"s. Then failing that I'll add a punishment--a slight pinch of the ass and a firm "no". Failing that a firm "no" with a strong negative reinforcement such as quickly but gently pinning him on his back, tell him "no" a time or two again, and hold him still and in place for a minute or two.
The other quicker method would be to keep your face away so the nipping can't occur but that'd be a lazy way to address undesirable behavior.

Also, please be sure to show love, compassion, and praise to your pup far more often than punishment. Your dog should see you as both its shelter when it's distressed and as its leader during all other times. Do this and you'll have a perfect-pup.
>>
>>2213949
Yeah I felt a little bad but I try to ignore him. He starts barking after awhile and that's the hardest to ignore cause its really loud but hopefully ignoring him will make him learn barking wont work.
How much time should I wait after he stops crying? I've been doing that but maybe im not waiting enough in between. Because I've had him for about two months and he still cries when I leave the room just for a few minutes. Then as soon as I enter the room he starts crying again so I walk around the room acting like im busy until he quiets down again then I let him out the second he stops should I wait longer?
>>
>>2213960
Yeah hes around 5 months now and it hasn't really stopped maybe I'll try something a bit firmer cause the taps on his snout aren't really working right now.
I show him a lot of love. I love this little guy and most of the time we enjoy together I'm really patient with him and am raising really well but his nipping has been really hard to deal with.
>>
>>2213961
I would wait a little longer. If you let him out too soon after he stops crying he'll think he's being let out because he was crying, not because he stopped.
>>
>>2213961
He sounds highly understimulated. Do you often offer him a lot of things to play with? Pups are basically ADHD personified so they need lots of stuff to go after. Dog-specific chew toys like big bones, little bones, bones with bristles, hard bones, soft bones, smooth bones; doggy-rope, doggy-tire, tennis ball, base ball, rubber ball, flirt pole, and clean rags are a staple for my pups.
Flirt pole is mainly for exercising and making the pup tire himself out.
>>
>>2213973
Yeah he has tons of toys and chews for his teething. That and I take him for short walks twice a day so im not sure if hes understimulated because hes a small breed dog.
>>2213972
Alright I'll give him a bit more time, hopefully that will work I was worried he might be getting separation anxiety. Even when hes not alone and someone is with him if he can't follow me he freaks out.
>>
>>2213977
Getting a puppy used to not being with you is tough. My puppy was the same way for a while. Even if we were in the same room and he just couldn't get to me, he'd start barking like crazy. Really you just need to make sure they're not too bored and learn to self entertain. If you're not already, putting a few indestructible toys in his crate might help. You could also try using one of those toys that you can put treats in the middle of that he can get out by playing with it, or just a kong full of peanut butter. It will give him something to do while he's alone and create a positive association with the crate.
>>
>>2213984
Yeah i might get him a Kong toy hopefully that works.
The problem is even if he's playing with someone like my younger brother (who he loves) the second I walk towards the door he stops what he's doing and tries to follow. When were at a lake I asked my sister to hold his leash while I went to the restroom and he cried the whole time I was gone and they tried distracting him but it didn't work. He didn't stop until i walked back.
>>
>>2213788

She won't learn 'I shouldn't pee in the house.' She's learning 'he's going to smack me, so I need to pee when he's not around.'
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.