[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Small Apartnent Pet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1458950928512.jpg (120KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1458950928512.jpg
120KB, 640x480px
I want a small, low maintenance pet that could be ok in a studio apartment. Something like a snake or insect that won't mind me holding it for about 5-10 minutes once in a while.

I also want it to have a long, somewhat short (like no bigger than a foot and a half tall) cage that I can fit on top of a counter or shelf as a kind of display.

Are there any creatures that would fit something like this? I'm open to other suggestions, but I don't have the time for a mammal if something that needs interaction on my part.
>>
>>2209592
Sorry, OP.

The only animals I can think of that would be happy in the enclosure you have in mind probably shouldn't be handled.
>>
Tulpa
>>
>>2209597
Nonsense. I don't really understand what tank OP has or is willing to acquire, but almost any species of a variety of animals can comfortably fit in a studio apartment:

>fish
>inverts (terrestrial and aquatic)
>snakes
>lizards
>amphibians
>small mammals
>birds, though I don't advise it

Of these, a good amount can be handled. Let's say you are a beginner and don't want to get an enclosure larger in volume than a 30 gallon tank. These are some good options:

>crested geckos
>leopard geckos
>corn snakes
>ball pythons
>pacman/pixie/horned, etc. frogs
>emperor scorpions
>stick insects
>(some) mantids
>(some) tarantulas
>hermit crabs
>cockroaches
>millipedes
>centipedes (not ideal)
>gerbils
>mice
>robo/dwarf/other small hamsters
>(some) beetles
>(some) newts/sallies

Some pets which are included in the above categories DO NOT make good beginner pets, but I believe all the ones I mentioned by species do.

I don't know about your personal tastes, but corn snakes and ball pythons are both low maintenance snakes, and (Madagascan hissing especially) cockroaches are usually low maintenance insects. Leopard geckos and tarantulas are also pretty easy to care for and easygoing.

If you decide on a snake, know that both corns and balls are very docile and good beginner herps, but corns need (slightly) less space and have a reputation as being more interesting to handle.
>>
>>2209621
Corn sounds interesting. I know a bit about snakes, but not much. What kind of setup would I be looking at for one? Would it require a lot of work as far as keeping certain temperatures and humidity? How often do they need to eat?

The hissing cockroaches also sound pretty cool, do they require anything special? Would it be possible to put those two animals together in the same tank, or not a good idea?
>>
>>2209650
Just google corn snake care. There are several care sheets at the top of the result list.

Temperature is easy, under tank heater and a thermostat.

They eat every 7-10 days. Frozen thawed mice.
>>
>>2209657
K thank you
>>
OP here again, is it possible to get a cornsnake from a shelter? I've seen birds and sometimes rodents up for adoption before. Reason I'm asking is because it says corns can live up to 20 years, and I don't want one that still has that many years left in them. I would rather adopt one that's already in it's teens.
>>
>>2209621
Hermit crabs and centipedes are not for beginners. Remember we are talking about absolute beginners to the hobby not someone just getting into that particular area. There are so many small mistakes you can nake with these that more advanced keepers dont really think about, for example not putting an enclosure in a spot where the sun can reach directly, even in winter and so on. Also handling pedes is up there for dumbest thing you can do in the hobby.
>>
>>2210759
Ya...Id rather not hold a centipede...I'm good with tarantulas, but that's mostly cause they are pretty chill. Still, I've heard they are kind of sensitive pets-easy to kill.
>>
>>2210370
Try Craigslist or if not in the US whatever equivalent there is in your country people quite regularly give them away/rehoming fee of ~$50
>>
>>2210866
Ah ok. Any tips on avoiding scams? I don't know how to tell if a corn is old or young, or if someone is just breeding them to sell them. Would much rather it be one that actually needs a new home.
>>
>>2210370

Yes, some shelters take in reptiles. Corns, kings, ball pythons, and boas are the usual choices. Check out the website for your local one and see.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.