[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sp

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Evil-lyn.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Evil-lyn.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
Where's does the stereotype of witches having cats come from? I like dogs.
>>
>>2209223
I imagine cats have probably been historically linked with witches because they were thought to be demonic.

Other animals that Christians believed to be evil include snakes, bats, and owls.

"Evil" animals were sometimes killed in times of sickness and plagues, which was ironically counterproductive because all these animals happen to prey upon disease-causing vermin.

Every now and then, cats also have a "crazy time," where they'll whip around and run about for no reason while looking wide-eyed and frightened, which made some people theorize they could see ghosts, further linking them with the paranormal.
>>
There was also the belief that witches could transform into a cat 9 times before permanently being stuck as a cat. Likely where the "cats have 9 lives" thing originated.
>>
>>2209594
No, cats having nine lives originated from the same place that cats always landing on their feet did.

This is because cats have a very flexible spine, they can twist their entire bodies around in mid air, greatly increasing their chances of landing on their feet. Which greatly increases their chances of surviving a fall from a great height.

It's a lot easier to recover from a broken leg than it is to recover from a broken spine.

It's also really awesome to watch in slow motion.
>>
Cats are solitary animals and thus seem weird for us, social beasts.
Connecting weird people and weird animals...
>>
>>2209605
I think it's a mixture of both. The multiple lives come from how resilient they are, but the exact number probably came from the witch thing
>>
>>2209223
toxoplasmosis causes magical powers
>>
>>2209661
it literally turns you into a zombie

that's why we can't trust a cat owner's opinion on cats
>>
Have you ever heard of the "crazy cat lady" in your neighborhood? Well those existed back then too.

Also: cat "pussy" back in ye olde times was a sexual slang (linking women and cats), so a convergence of promiscuous cats + crazy woman coalesced a lot of negative ideas and feelings into a bunch of related concepts (witches, spinsters, hags, etc.).
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.