[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My cat won't eat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
Title says it all. Can't get him to eat anything. He did eat a little piece of tuba and some pumpkin baby food earlier, now he's refusing anything.

Went to the vet Saturday, got a full work-up. Ver said it may be kidney failure but he's too dehydrated to tell (he was eating less and less since last Wednesday) so he wants him to come back every 3 or 4 days for 2 weeks for fluids. Also on his X-ray it looked like he had something (vet said maybe a piece if bone because of it's opacity) in his colon but it had already travelled all the way through everything else and vet said he should pass it. He hasn't pooped yet though.

I'm worried about liver damage at this point and I don't like forcing him to eat. He'll sniff at food but won't eat it.

I don't know what else to try and any suggestions would help. Tried tuna/tuna juice, Friskies salmon, turkey vegetable baby food, pumpkin baby food, I And Love And You chicken flavor pâté, and his favorite treat vanilla pudding. Can't get him to really eat any of these, he'll lick a little and then get irritated.

Pic is Horatio in better days. Sorry bad phone camera.
>>
>>2209220
>He did eat a little piece of tuba

Have you considered switching from his diet of brass instruments to something like woodwind?
>>
OP here he does have a vet appt tomorrow.
>>
Don't feed him anything starchy, salty or sugary. That's probably why he might have kidney failure.
Give him boiled chicken and that's it. Also, you can give your cat sub-q fluids at home. Just have the vet show you how.
>>
>>2209234
Should I finger feed him the chicken or leave it up to him to eat it?
>>
There is NO fucking way a vet couldn't tell kidney failure from a "full work-up". There are really clear signals of kidney function in a blood panel. Your vet sounds like fucking garbage. Find a better one.

How old is he?
>>
>>2209230
I kekd
>>2209220
Dying kitter is best kitter
>>
>>2209220
>eat a little piece of tuba

Wut.

Im gonna guess thats his problem.
>>
>>2209257
10-12. He's a rescue so I'm not sure. His levels were kind of all over the place so I don't know. I wanted a more conclusive answer too.
>>
>>2209290
If he is a rescue and you got him as an old cat, there is a high probability the rescue lied about his age and he is way older than what you think. And unfortunately, kidney disease is sort of a degenerative disease in cats. It's just what happens when they get old... first thing to start shutting down for them.

That being said, ask for a copy of his blood work when you go tomorrow, and call around to see if another vet can give you a second reading of the blood work. Just say something like "My vet gave my cat a blood panel and I don't think what he told me sounds right. Is there any way you can sit down and review his levels and tell me what you think?". Will probably need to pay the visitation fee, but I imagine you can find a vet willing to give you another opinion.

The other thing I would be worried about is urinary tract issues. Is he passing urine okay? If not, then how long has he not peed?
>>
>>2209220
>so he wants him to come back every 3 or 4 days for 2 weeks for fluids

Is your vet trying to milk you for money? You can easily administer fluids at home for free. I had to do it for four months. Bringing him in was certainly an option... at $35 a visit. Screw that, it's just a Ringer's bag right? I hooked mine up to a camera tripod and just gave it on my couch. I had to do it every 24 hours.

But not eating is definitely a sign of kidney failure. Mine stopped eating near the end but by that point even fluids weren't helping either. Also this >>2209257. The blood work results would be blatantly obvious if it's kidney failure. Between that and gouging you on fluid visits maybe get a second opinion.
>>
>>2209297
He is passing urine okay. He hasn't drank much today but he did go a lot this morning and was going fine yesterday.

Supposedly the multiple visits is to monitor his blood levels. I would like to go to see another vet but to be honest I don't know if I'll have the time (work and I have to take care of my mom who just had arm surgery).

I read about the kidney disease and how common it is in cats and he is an older cat (he's slowed down since I got him). I just don't want him to suffer through a bunch of stuff that might let him live another week if that.
>>
>>2209307
I'm kind of suspicious of the fluid visits too honestly. I don't know what type they use but I know how to run a line in a person so I imagine an animal is about the same?
>>
>>2209322
That's good on the urine.

Maybe see if another vet can do a phone consult with you? There is no reason you couldn't just read the numbers to a vet and they would know.

As per him suffering, if your vet weren't trash, he'd be able to tell you how his kidneys are functioning and what stage the disease is at. That is why the blood work is so key. That SHOULD HAVE told you everything you needed to know.

>>2209307
To be fair, it depends on how it was communicated. If the vet didn't offer to teach OP how to administer the fluids and send him off with a needle and fluids himself, then another strike for a trash vet. Some people don't want to do it themselves (fear of needles, cat might just not tolerate them doing it, etc), so they need the service of a vet. But it is fucking real dishonest to imply that it is not something that can easily be done by the owner.

When the topic of fluids came up with my KD cat, my vet said "I can give you the stuff and let you do it, or you can bring him in. Your choice".
>>
>>2209335
Yeah they never had that conversation with me or that option. They really didn't give me much direction except 'come back Tuesday'. I definitely felt like I was getting the 'last patient on Saturday' treatment but I but my tongue because I didn't want to snap. Tomorrow I'm going to be a but more no BS because I'm not going to have him suffer so they can make some more money off of my misplaced feeling of guilt.

I tried boiled chicken but he only sniffed around it, didn't eat any.
>>
>>2209366
To be fair my vet told me cats with kidney disease don't really feel pain. They said it's more nausea and lethargy, so if that helps play a factor in how you decide to treat him. I hung onto mine as long as I could but in a matter of two days there was a very obvious point of no return and I had to decide to let him go very fast. But the four months until then he was really doing great even after diagnosis and daily fluids, running around, playing, etc.
>>
>>2209390
Exactly this. It is a total crapshoot for how long a KD cat can live. Some can live four or five years after their initial diagnosis happy and healthy, while others just burn out shortly after diagnosis.

It really depends on how well they take to eating a prescription cat food and having good water intake, and when water intake becomes a concern, they can get fluids to extend their life more.

About all you can do is see how his kidneys are functioning and hope for the best.
>>
>>2209390
>>2209403
Thank both of you. I'm going to take that into consideration when I take him tomorrow. He did drink some water and took a big pee when I was in the shower so I feel a bit better and I was able to finger feed him about a tablespoon of pumpkin baby food.
>>
>>2209483
My vet recommended baby food too. If he'll eat just plain regular canned pumpkin they make pies out of they said that's good too for constipation, which is a risk if he's dehydrated, since it's pure fiber basically. Good luck with him, I hope he makes it.
>>
>>2209596
Thank you for your thoughts. I was going to try canned pumpkin but there were too many preservatives in it, I got baby food that was just pumpkin + water. He managed to walk down the stairs to the basement and nestle himself in some towels so he has some strength left.

Also, with acute or chronic kidney failure wouldn't he be drinking voraciously and straining to urinate? He's not doing either. He's drinking less than normal bit when he does it's about what he used to in a sitting and there's no straining when he urinates and they're not little dribbles.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.