[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bird General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 25

I've been visiting /an/ for a month and haven't seen a bird geared topic all this time. We used to have them but no one has made one lately. So I'm changing that.

Pic related is not my pigeon sadly but the pictures are cute nevertheless.
>>
>>
File: E77373.jpg (64KB, 640x494px) Image search: [Google]
E77373.jpg
64KB, 640x494px
It's rare to find things for bird lovers. There are a lot of figurines, rugs, clothes, and the like for cat or dog fans.

Pic related are some cute earrings I found online.
>>
>>2208189
Omg, the little cockatiels. So fucking cute
>>
File: bird (16).jpg (695KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
bird (16).jpg
695KB, 3264x2448px
give me your wet birds
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2208198
Cute. I don't have any pictures of him after he has taken a bath, but that bird reminds me of my little guy.
>>
>>2208213
Sorry I don't know why it rotates my picture.
>>
File: BIRD_WAKE_UP.jpg (2MB, 1632x2124px) Image search: [Google]
BIRD_WAKE_UP.jpg
2MB, 1632x2124px
>>2208214
I got plenty
>>
>>2208219
Gay looking bird
>>
File: 098.jpg (299KB, 700x1690px) Image search: [Google]
098.jpg
299KB, 700x1690px
>>
I don't understand people who own a Budgie just to keep it in a cage 24/7.
>>
>>2208805
A lot of people get birds and treat them like that. I volunteer at a bird sanctuary and we have lots of macaws and cockatoos who have been treated the same way. Needless to say they've plucked all of their feathers
>>
>>2208823
I have a budgie who's about 12-13 years old and he wants nothing to do with leaving his cage. He used to be rather active outside of it but now he's content with all of his toys.
>>
>>2209045
Some birds do like their cages. As long as they have the option to go out I don't think it's a big deal. One of my cockatiels hardly ever goes out but we leave the door open for her so she can when she wants.
>>
File: 20160822_195836.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160822_195836.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
This fucker lets me put my finger up his feet but won't step up.
>>
File: File Sep 05, 6 04 42 PM.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
File Sep 05, 6 04 42 PM.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>2208198
My soggy turkey
Just brought hims home last week, he's about a month and 2 weeks old.
His beak is long as fuck though and there's a chip in it so he keeps getting caught in everything he chews on. Tomorrow the vet will be open and I'll be bringing him in for a beak trim, but I feel so conflicted because he's in his cage excited as fuck to see me and climb up on my shoulder, but every time I do we make it maybe 10 minutes before I have to pull off my shirt and help him get free of it because he gets stuck every fucking time.
He's also whining like before he was weaned when I pick him up too, breeder said he'd grow out of it soon but god it can't happen soon enough
>>
File: 20160724_172602.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160724_172602.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
Chickens are wonderful little creatures. They look and act lile tiny dinosaurs, and gift me with eggs and an insect free yard. Also >tfw poolside chicken
>>
>>2209053
How old is he and how long have you had him? Keep on putting your finger against his chest, like about an inch above his feet, and gently nudge him. It is instinct for them to step up so as long as he isn't terrified of you/your hand he should eventually step up.
>>
I got 4 society finches and they laid a couple of eggs. Would it be bad to have the baby's become attached to me? If not, how would I go through with this?
>>
>>2209380
Bawk
>>
>>2209388
2 months. On the norning he is scared pretty easily but on the afternoon he is calm.
>>
Are Parakeets always so noisy or can it be a sign of stress? My cousin has two that she never lets out the cage that squawk a lot.
>>
>>2209380

It's a shame that most people only like chickens for food. They're really interesting animals
>>
>>2209703
He's 6 and a half months old and had him for 2 months*
>>
>>2210063
Young birds take a while to perch sometimes. He may just need more time. Just keep on gently nudging him eventually he will start to step up
>>
>>2209813
They are probably bored. They usually squawk sometimes but they shouldn't squawk all day. If they are locked up all day they're probably bored out of their minds
>>
File: 20160906_151819.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160906_151819.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>2210065
Problem is that he sometimes is calm and sometimes is not. On the morning one time he will be calm singing, the other time he will jump from perch to perch back and forth repeatedly.

I got him from a pet shop and he was not hand fed but parent raised.
>>
File: IMG_0494.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0494.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2209362
Update: Took him to the vet for a beak trim today, but it turns out that between this morning and when I went to go pick him up he actually broke off the end of his beak in one of his toys. His beak is still a touch long and is more squared off than pointed like it should be, but he should at least be able to work on it himself from here and not get caught on fucking everything
>>
I am in love with a conure. Is $500 a decent price for a tame sun conure?
>>
>>2210082
That's a decent price. Especially if you get along with him. You can find a cheaper bird if you look on Craigslist but it's a crapshoot as to whether or not you'll get along
>>
>>2210069
You'll just have to be very patient. I've noticed that birds from pet stores are usually very hard to tame. It took me like 6 months to get my pet store cockatiel to perch on my finger
>>
I want to get a parrot that will be my friend since I am an autistic NEET and can give it lots of attention.

What do you suggest
>>
>>2210094
If it's your first bird I recommend something smaller. For example, a cockatiel or a conure. Birds are very very high maintenance so it is better to start small.

Also, take your time in picking a bird, find someone who you click with. Make sure it has a roomy cage, gets plenty of time outside the cage, and is fed a varied diet.
>>
>>2210100
Ideally I wouldn't want the bird to be in the cage unless it wants to be in cage, or it has to shit or piss. I don't know how difficult it would be to train the bird to only shit in its cage and not destroy my apartment.
>>
I love my tiel. His name is Korvus and he's a sweetie. Here he is with santa.
>>
>>2210102
I've never tried to potty train a bird but I've heard it's doable. Other people have done it. I'd recommend googling guides for that.

If you don't have carpet it may just be easier to let him poop where he wants lol.
Birds don't poop and piss btw, just poop. That's why their poop is kind of watery.
>>
no pet birds but hummingbirds come thru my yard to feed pretty often
They're tiny but sometimes they decide a particular bush is their territory and harass any other birds that go near it
>>
File: 20160726_202007.jpg (548KB, 1070x981px) Image search: [Google]
20160726_202007.jpg
548KB, 1070x981px
>>2209821
They are so peaceful to watch forage around our place. Watching their tails stick up above the tall grass and shit. Unfortunately, sometimes they get infected feet, like this poor girl.
>>
File: 20160726_182839-1.jpg (3MB, 2027x2466px) Image search: [Google]
20160726_182839-1.jpg
3MB, 2027x2466px
My birb
>>
>>2210180
Hummingbirds are extremely bold for their size. Curious too.
>>
File: photo_1455118142635.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
photo_1455118142635.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
He gets soggy cheerios stuck in his sideburns. We like to make laundry mazes for him to navigate , he uses coach landmarks and everything he is a pro.
>>
>>2210397
Cute! My parakeet is recently obsessed with anything I eat and making a mess of it. Cooked rice is his current main target.
>>
>>2210091
And how was he behaving with you at the second month? So i can know if his behavior is normal and i'm not doing anything wrong.
>>
>imitating bird calls
can somebody here do it? how long does it take to learn using only mount/fingers?
should I get a bird whistle?
whats an easy bird call to learn first?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQw6TG9Vqeg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUHkYrm-KVs
https://youtu.be/9u7OAVwkhWM?t=105
>>
Which pet bird is objectively smartest?
>>
>>2210523
Pretty skiddish. He liked me whistling for him and obviously liked company, but he hated my hand/being touched.
>>
>>2210662
Depends on the bird. But probably the Congo African grey.
>>
My mom adopted a pair of budgies. They are terrified of people and I think they were neglected, how can I socialize them? So far we've just been leaving the cage open, letting them adventure around the room, and putting our hands in the cage. They'll jump over us occasionally but usually hide.
>>
File: IMG_0484.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0484.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
My little guy wants nothing more than the sit on my shoulder at all times either preening or napping. I do take him off from time to time because I need to either do something or feel like he should get some food and water, but what would be a good ballpark for how often to shuffle him around? Yesterday he spent a solid 3 hours sitting on my shoulder preening himself/me or sleeping, and he hasn't even pooped on me yet

I'm so paranoid about doing something that will inadvertently hurt him, especially since he's just barely over a month old
>>
Here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO0n5yHqxzs
>>
>>2210088
I've never been fond of birds but when we got him, everyone said he was sweet so I had my hands in his cage (he was nice but didn't like being touched). Eventually he got on my hands, then my shoulder. And now when I get him, he lays on his back in my arm and nibbles on my fingers.

What kind of "vet savings" should I have put back if I get him? What illnesses are they most prone to?
>>
>>2210334
This.

I never realized how gutsy hummingbirds were being so little until I actually sat down outside and watched.

Hummingbirds do not like sharing feeders...
>>
>>2210838
First thing you should do is locate the nearest avian vet in your area, because most vets don't know shit about birds.

I think the most common health problems birds have an e usually respiratory problems. Google "safe cookware for birds" because certain non stick pans emit fumes that can actually kill them, the same with certain ovens too I believe. And of course be careful about any smoke near the bird and any spray or cleaning product.

Another common mistake is feeding a seed only diet. It would be similar to us eating nothing but candy. Some birds are very picky about this but you have to be persistent and offer them pellets and fresh food. That will help them with their health a lot.
>>
>>2210838
Also it's hard to say how much you should keep aside for a vet. Probably as much as you'd keep for any other pet; vets are expensive.
>>
File: winBIRB.jpg (728KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
winBIRB.jpg
728KB, 1920x1200px
How do I into birbs, /an/? My older sister had a couple of cockateils that were snuggly AF when I was a kid but it's been awhile.
>>
File: IMG_0477.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0477.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2210915
Guy that just got his first bird >>2210822
I'll sum up my process since it seems to be going well

>Read a lot about bird in question
>Join Facebook bird groups and watch the convos/ask periodic questions
>Go to local pet store (Petco/Petsmart were utter failures here) and ask employees about bird stuff, local breeders/rescues, and local avian vets
>Meet with avian vet and ask about breeders/rescues/birds in need of a home, was told of a local cockatiel breeder who had a few babies he was hand-feeding at the time.
>Talk with breeder, go over and meet him + birds, maybe bring a friend/sibling or something. It was a little worrying the first time as from the outside I was hoping I wasn't walking into a meth lab, and was being greeted by a guy with a toothless grin
>His place was actually really clean though and despite have 3 dozen birds the only smell was his dog that found a puddle to roll in (And he wasn't missing his front teeth like I thought, they were just really short, didn't ask but I assume they were broken in the past/impacted/dentures)
>Interact with the babies. The guy I met with had 5 at the time, 2 older ones that were nearly weaned, 2 others about a week younger than those, and a sibling of the older ones that had an underbite and was having a hard time with solid food
>One of the older ones seemed interested in me, enough that when the guy tried to put the bird back in the cage he flew towards me and I caught him with my shirt where he proceeded to chill for a little while
>Would probably be good to make a few more visits before taking them home, I only managed the 1 before he was weaned due to inclement weather, my job, and it being an hour drive to the guy's house
>Pick him up, bring him home, and give him some time and space to adjust to the new environment before assaulting him with attention
>The morning after bringing him home he started eating and drinking, and by that evening he was comfortable being handled
>>
>relative get budgies
>I tell them they'll regret it and that they won't take care of them right but they don't listen to me
>they're the type of average owner that doesn't let the birds out of the cage, doesn't let them eat vegetables, never replaces their toys, etc
>two years later
>one of the birds randomly dies
>the other bird looks sick and her nails are overgrown due to only having two perches
>they realize she's sick but they don't want to take a bird to a vet plus they don't have the money

Ugh. People always cry about dog owners but small animals have it worse, I swear. People don't know how to take care of them. They just think all hamsters need are a cage, some food, and maybe a hamster ball.
>>
>>2210695
Same with mine but right now he's molting for the first time so he wants to be left alone most of the times.
>>
File: 20160906_163729.jpg (1MB, 2304x1296px) Image search: [Google]
20160906_163729.jpg
1MB, 2304x1296px
Someone near my place lost a gala. I'm really wanting to find her since i would be destroyed without my tiel....
>>
>>2211006
Lol the galah is probably on the other side of the world or someone already catched it.
>>
File: Misting.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Misting.webm
3MB, 640x480px
Sorry for shakycam, but the only way to record like that is to put my phone in my breast pocket
>>
File: 1434964977373.png (69KB, 186x283px) Image search: [Google]
1434964977373.png
69KB, 186x283px
I'm thinking about getting a budgie but I'm kinda worried about the noise. Are they very loud? I also heard that females were much quieter but also more independant, is it worth getting one over a male? Though you probably can't choose the sex if you buy a young one.
Also how are cockatiels like in terms of noise? I heard they were a bit worse than parakeets.
>>
File: Fluff.png (1MB, 1285x723px) Image search: [Google]
Fluff.png
1MB, 1285x723px
>>2211468
Depending on your time schedule, you might want two budgies, though they would most likely bond with eachother instead of you
Females parrots are usually quieter
I have a female cockatiel, she can be loud if she wants to, but not enough to pierce my ears or annoy my neighbours
Whatever you get, they WILL make noise/vocalize/call for flock or attention
>>
>>2210625
no one?
>>
My 7 year old cousin saw my (handraised) lovebird and now she's pressuring her parents into buying one
how do i convince them it's a bad idea? lovebirds aren't exactly kid friendly, and i don't really think they're gonna take care of one well
>>
>>2211496
Beat it into their brains that it will be their bird, not the kid's, that it is high maintenance and requires proper care for decades
The price for a handraised one might also deter them, with the initial equipment and all that

>>2211488
I wish I could, I whistle a bit, but nothing close to a bird's call
I'd say figure out the species around your place of living and get a bird whistle or two to experiment
>>
>>2208189
I need those on me, can you share links please?
>>
>>2210844
>>2210846
Thanks for the advice!

I'll check out the vet we take our animals to when they're sick. Never had to take a bird, but they have the sweetest cockatiel as their "office pet".

I'll take pics to share when I go to work tomorrow.
>>
So a cockatiel flew into my backyard and landed on a flower pot and when i got closer it flew up onto my shoulder. I don't know who it belongs to nor where it came from but it already knows how to step up onto my finger and seems to have been very close to humans. I'm not sure what to do with it. Its a tame bird and i didn't want to just leave him outside so i went and got a cage and some bird seed for it. Are these kinds of birds hard to take care of?
>>
>>2211919
Not necessarily hard. They are kind of messy and depending on the bird they can be kind of loud. If you plan on keeping him/her get a variety of perches and toys for inside of his cage. It needs to be let out of the cage and socialized with of course. And some seeds are okay, but also offer fresh fruits and veggies and also pellets.

Thanks for taking care of it anon. If you haven't already you may want to try posting a "found bird" ad on Craigslist or just around the neighborhood. It is likely that that bird isn't far from home.
>>
>>2211476
>Whatever you get, they WILL make noise/vocalize/call for flock or attention
This is very true. If I disappear from the same room my budgie is in, or get home after a day of work, and he hears my voice he will not stop crying out and flying around until he finds me.
>>
>>2210625
>whats an easy bird call to learn first?
Black capped chickadee mating call. It's a steady high pitch then low pitch whistle.

I've actually gotten one of those little acrobats to come poking around looking for a hot date. Poor guy.
>>
>>2210105
Lovely colors
>>
File: 20160826_150421-1.jpg (2MB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
20160826_150421-1.jpg
2MB, 1152x2048px
Remember to put decals on your windows
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.