[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who else /up at sunrise to see birds/ here? 6:14 right now, just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: sfw_black-billed-magpie1a.jpg (480KB, 1829x2400px) Image search: [Google]
sfw_black-billed-magpie1a.jpg
480KB, 1829x2400px
Who else /up at sunrise to see birds/ here? 6:14 right now, just waiting for it to get a little more light. I hope I see some good stuff.

What are some cool new or rare animals you've seen recently?
>>
>>2207818
where do you go for birdwatching?
>>
>>2207818
When delivering newspapers this morning, I saw a bird of prey(probably a goshawk) attacking a pigeon(still not sure which kind, but probably a feral). When it saw me, it let go of the pigeon and flew away. The pigeon jumped into a bush, where it remained when I returned after my route was finished, so I guess the bird of prey gave up on it. Still not sure whether it recovered from its wounds, though.
>>
>>2207818
I saw 2 american bitterns within 15 min of each other. Considering it had been years since i had seen one i was surprised.
>>
I saw some cool owls at the wildlife rehab place nearby a while back.

Owls are awesome
>>
I live in the city of Rio de Janeiro, which unsurprisingly doesn't have many rare birds (since it's a big city and all). I'm lucky to live near a small forest reserve though, so I sometimes see
>group of Smooth-billed Ani around noon, they're super curious and like to stare at people
>a couple of Southern Crested Caracara that mostly fly over and do that characteristic eagle scream
>couples or small groups of Saffron Finches playing on dusty ground
>loads of herons, gulls and albatrosses
>fucking huge Great Kiskadees who are very annoying for doing their stupid call right outside my window
>countless of colorful tiny birds or different species that would drive me insane if I tried to constantly identify

That's pretty much it. Very, very rarely we see wild macaws, though parrotlets and parrots are somewhat common in suburban Rio. They're loud as fuck around dawn/dusk and eat all the fruit from people's yards.
>>
Alright, I'm back. Saw two new species that I was hoping to find, Red-breasted Nuthatch and Black-throated Gray Warbler (pic). There were more new ones at the place I went that I hoped to see but I didn't expect to. I swear I cannot find a Swainson's Thrush for the life of me. I saw four Downy Woodpeckers though, which is cool.

>>2207827
There's lots of nature parks around here, or I just go to a city park. Most of them either have a creek or river nearby so it attracts lots of stuff.

>>2207882
Bittern is on my wanting to see list. I'm jealous.
>>
>>2207818
>tfw no car or license
>tfw live in a city
>tfw can't bird properly

JUST
>>
>>2208171
>tfw no car or license
so
>tfw live in a city
so
>tfw can't bird properly
well that's the truth
>>
>>2208171
What is a park
>>
Coolest ones I've seen up close is a pair of Mississippi kites.
They were hunting together, thought that was cool.
Both flew to a tree, one went in and grabbed an anole (small lizard) then both flew down to my creek.
Few weeks later I saw them again with a juvenile.

I have peregrine falcons, but rarely get close (never close enough for a decent picture).

I used to whistle to the bobwhite quail, but then I thought maybe I'm confusing them that theres a mate here so I stopped.

Also had some woodpeckers successfully breed this year, I keep forgetting to look up what species they are.

Had 3 bald eagles come by once, they were gone before I could pull my camera out of my pocket.

Buzzards and crows are here everyday, along with cardinals, bluejays, mocking birds, doves, barn swallows.

My hummingbirds had a lot of baby's this year. Some evenings I'll have 30 flying around the cabin. Pretty good improvement from the 3-4 I had last year. They'll return to previous breeding grounds so I'm hoping at the end of next summer I'll have 75+

Pic is the kite (not my pic) its like a falcon bred with a dove and shipped their kid to military school.
Red eyes are legit.
>>
>>2208529
I'm guessing you're in the southeast? Trying to think of where anoles and bobwhite cohabit

Also why do you keep referring to the birds as yours (our, we)? A tad odd
>>
>>2208571
Georgia.
I own a fair amount of land.
So the hummingbirds (for example) that were born here this year have never been anywhere but my property. Many of the breeding females had double clutches bacause there was an ample supply of food. If I wasn't here there may not have been any hummingbirds born in this area due to lack of food. I currently have 31 feeders out (its the end of the season, many have left and I've started taking them down).
"My" is not only property possessive, but they're also "my" buddys. They're so comfortable with me that will buzz by close enough to ruffle my hair.

I'm an old man, I feel proud that I'm able to provide this sanctuary to animals when my neighbors are out getting their bag limits (dove season started yesterday).
>>
>>2207818
Magpies are fucking glorious OP.

See them once in a blue moon in central Canada
>>
>>2208593
I have a slight objection to your calling natural land "your property", but will set aside my problems with your God delusion to commend you for not hunting on "your" land. Thanks for being a friend to the animals anon
>>
>>2208607
I know, I want to see one. They had them where I used to live but at the time I didn't go birdwatching so I never saw one. I hope someday I can find one again.

Well, 15 minutes after midnight. Still haven't slept from this morning. I don't think I'll make it up early again tomorrow. Shooting for Wednesday again and then maybe next week I want to go to the mountains and find a raven.
>>
>>2208617
The proper term is "birding", anon. Birdwatching is considered demeaning to birders.
>>
>>2208609
The deed says ts mine, so until the druids have control of congress I can legally keep saying that.
But this will always be a refuge to furred or feather or scaled friends- there will never be hunting here while I'm alive, only safe haven.
>>
>>2208620
Eh, the deed says so, but I didn't, and neither did any furred or feather little friendo on this rock, so you can keep using language which haughtily advertises your shameless lack of self-awareness, but if I was out enjoying the woods, I wouldn't trouble myself not to cut through the imaginary lines your daddy said were "his side!!!!"
>>
>>2208171
bicycle
>>
>>2208627
I know its a troll, but theres actually people out there that think like this....

I found an Amerindian graveyard when I was a kid.
I dug up one of the graves and pissed in the skull.
Gimme a couple minutes and I'll find the pic...
>>
>>2208645
I'm not a troll, and I also couldn't give less of a shit what you did with some bones. Pissing on some old hydroxylapatite is your right. Keep being delusional shitstain though though.

Honestly the most triggering thing about this by far is the fact that you thought it would trigger me; kind of ironic
>>
>>2208646
>Eh, the deed says so but I dont

What a shitbag loser.
Theres life out of moms basement dude, try it sometime.
>>
File: image.jpg (218KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
218KB, 1500x1500px
>>2208650
Non-argument, try again
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO0n5yHqxzs

hey OP
>>
>>2208618
"Birder" sounds as stupid as the term "gamer".
>>
>>2208646
Are you some kind of anarchist?
>>
File: image.jpg (218KB, 1000x963px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
218KB, 1000x963px
>>2208953
Lil bit
>>
>>2209121
Well at least you won't be voting Hillary so you're good by me.
>>
File: image.png (2MB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2MB, 800x800px
>>2209217
I feel you man

I do really want to see pol get btfo though
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.