[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

About to get my first dog. After much consideration, I decided

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 6

File: 26923300-824-640x480.jpg (117KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
26923300-824-640x480.jpg
117KB, 640x480px
About to get my first dog. After much consideration, I decided to go for a brown whippet (although red is the correct term).
Might get a rhodesian ridgeback in the future, when I'm more experienced.

Any whippet owners around here? Thoughts?
>>
>>2207587

Nice. Do you hunt?
>>
>>2207587
Isn't that a Lurcher?
>>
>>2207593

A lurcher is a landrace/type not a specific breed.
>>
>>2207587
Nice, do you know what line?
>>
>>2207587
Why do you bratty fucks keep coming here? Fucking ADOPT, you spoiled fuckface
>>
>>2207733

Fuck off you bull dyke shelter barnacle. Its not my obligation to clean up all the nigger pitbull problems.
>>
>>2207733
Seems like you need to be adopted
>>
>>2207623
I don't much care for it desu, I'm more interested in the color of the fur
>>
>>2207592
No but I'm very active and outdoorsy
>>
>>2207587
>whippet

arent those things too stupid to not shit in the house?
>>
>>2207587
>wanting to get "pure breed"
>because of looks
>doesnt want to adopt
dear anon,
fuck off,
sincerely,
/an/
>>
>>2207801
See >>2207793
>>
>>2207801
So?

Seriously. It's opie's choice. Not everyone wants a mutt from undetermined origin
>>
>>2207800
Irrelevant, he won't be in the house for the most part
>>
Is there a name for the style of collar that dog has on? My boy has a long neck like that, and I think a collar that style would look qt on him.
>>
>>2207801
It's a free country. I am a hardcore rescuefag, and of someone likes the aesthetic of a breed, then they should he welcome to get one from a RESPONSIBLE AND REPUTABLE breeser.

Responsible breeders aren't contributing to pet overpopulation. The only people who should be guilt tripped for getting a purebred is people who buy from a BYB.
>>
>>2207812
Greyhound collar, you can get some really nice ones.
>>
>>2207797
So that's why it doesn't look like a whippet, it was BYB

>>2207815
It was from a BYB, so OP is scum of the earth
>>
>>2207836
How do you know if someone is a BYB or a reputable breeder?
>>
>>2207602
I know. The head and ears don't look full whippet to me. One of my terrier's breeders show/race/do some rabbiting with them.
>>
>>2207836
That's not my dog, laddo. Just a picture of a whippet I found online.
>>
>>2207838
There's a lot of signs, some of which are arguable. So I'll just cover the vague basics.

The breeder must properly care for all dogs
The breeder should only breed healthy dogs
The breeder should be willing to carefully screen all adopters
The breeder should have a reason for breeding (as in, bettering the breed)
Breeders should not be making bank out of it

As far as healthy dogs go, to breed a healthy dog you have to first look for healthy dogs. You have to know the lineage, and know if those dogs have been health screened and how they did. Not knowing that, you can't really breed healthy animals.

>>2207843
Doesn't make matters better, it's still a byb animal.
>>
>>2207838
Just look at the breeders themselves. Are they selling their dogs from the back of their truck at a Walmart? Are they wearing "Make America Great Again" hats? (possibly in Europe) If so you might have a byb
>>
>>2207848
>>2207849
Girlfriend's a Weimaraner breeder and trainer, she can recommend good people
>>
>>2207854
What lines does your gf breed?
>>
ITT
OP gets a BYB dog and will keep it outdoors.
>all the triggers
Pls go away, OP. You will convince nobody otherwise at this point, this thread was useless from the beginning anyway. Nobody here owns a whipped, I've been coming on this board every day for years and have only seen the occasional mix. Go on reddit or a whippet forum. Goodbye.
>>
>>2207835
Whew thanks lad. Anon always delivers.

Now I gotta find a white one like in the OP. He's black, so it would look neat on him.
>>
>>2207857
No
>>
>>2207856
I only know that they're long haired. Why?
>>
>>2207881
A shitty byb will recommend another shitty byb.
>>
>>2207883
She breeds show dogs, but I appreciate your concern
>>
>>2207737
I agree with this.
>>
>>2207884
Show dogs=/= reputable breeder.
>>
>>2207884
Give a shelter mutt a chance if you're already willing to gamble on a breeder...?
Here's seven similar whippets or mixes (or just ones that I found cute) available on petfinder, you should do your own search to see if one is in your area.

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21567720

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/35779435

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/35655862

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/36115396

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/35174852

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/35759475

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/35370350

And a shelter specializing in sighthounds:
https://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelter_id=VA656

Please look through them, if only to look at cute pics out of curiosity for just how cute they are. I didn't pick any that had anxiety or severe socialization issues (I hope).
>>
>>2207884
That's a good sign, generally, but there is way more to it. What kind of genetic tests does she run on her dames and studs, and is she willing to fully disclose them? What about health guarantees to people purchasing puppies? What age does she allow people to take their puppies? Does she only sell with spay/neuter contracts? Does she allow the buyers to discuss the veterinary records of the dame and stud? Dewormed and vaxxed?

There is a TON to a good breeder. Not saying she isn't, but that single statement doesn't say anything (but it is a very good thing her dogs are bred and do compete in conformation).
>>
>>2207924
>>2207926

I'm not gambling on a breeder, I'm taking the opinion of a person I love and who has cared for and bred dogs all her life. She's extremely picky about who she sells her Weimaraners to, and she's also careful with whom she gets the dogs from. That includes vaccinations, I don't know about genetic tests. She naturally knows good breeders from all the competitions she's been to and from all her years in the field. Not sure how much less of a gamble one could take.

I only opened this thread to ask potential whippet owners about any peculiarities about the breed and to learn about their experiences. I'm also open to adopting a shelter mutt, as long as it resembles a whippet minimally
>>
>>2207926
>it is a very good thing her dogs are bred and do compete
why is that a good thing? dog shows are literally freak shows. anyone who cares about the welfare of animals will stay at least 10miles away from anything that resembles a show dog breeder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCv10_WvGxo
>>
File: Snapchat-7941025220041328321.jpg (998KB, 1440x2392px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-7941025220041328321.jpg
998KB, 1440x2392px
>>2207941
>I'm also open to adopting a shelter mutt, as long as it resembles a whippet minimally
Then look at the pups that I linked or at least make your own search on pet finder or a similar website. There's so many pups out there that need homes.

Your girlfriend has my dream job btw (if she is as selective and smart about it as you describe). Weimaraners are my jam.
Pic related was the love of my life 2 years ago. He wasn't allowed in the house, but I would sneak him in whenever I could. Took a while for me to convince him to come onto the couch, but he loved how soft it was.
>>
>>2207946
Some show dogs, yes. IMO any confirmation should be coupled with something more useful like agility, obedience etc. Confirmation at least shows the dog looks like how it's supposed to, but other competitions shows it preforms like it should. It's definitely not a sign of a good breeder alone.

>>2207941
You are gambling with a breeder because you don't know what you are looking for apparently. If you are going to spend all this money on a breeder you may as well spend it on a good whippet. If you don't care about any of that, then adopt one of the many sighthounds in rescues for a fraction of the price
>>
>>2207733

THIS

Fucking shelters are chock-full of whippets, greyhounds, Salukis, lurchers etc. - really lovely dogs that come right in a couple of weeks, rather than the months or years a farmed puppy takes.

Fucking designer-dogs spastics should just kill themselves.

A sighthound is a good choice of first dog - chill dudes that don't need an excess of work or attention.
>>
>>2207800

a) no

b) that'll be your own retard hillbilly family you're thinking about
>>
>>2207950
Gamling means to go in with little knowledge of what you're getting into. While I don't have that knowledge, my girlfriend has it. She knows reputable breeders, thus the lack of a gamble. How is this hard to grasp?

Also, money is not a problem for me.
>>
>>2207964

Did your mother have any children that lived?

>your average shelter dog is a pitbull

Only in the shitty third-world united states of denial, m8y.

You literally know nothing.
>>
>>2207964
So I assume you got your dumb, dead dog from a shelter because it is fucking ugly as sin?
>>
>>2207961
>Gamling means to go in with little knowledge of what you're getting into
>I don't have that knowledge
Exactly.

I'm sure you think you're girlfriend is a reputable breeder but you have yet to say anything that shows she may be reputable. I'm sure money isn't a problem, and neither is getting a poorly bred, unhealthy, unpredictable dog from a byb.
>>
>>2207986
She is a frequently requested breeder for contributions to dog magazines, radio and tv programs about dogs in general and Weimaraners in particular.

But I guess you're just going to belittle that for the sake of your non-argument. And that's fine, I'm just not taking your troll bait any longer.
>>
>>2208001
Yet you patronized one to get a fucking ugly ass dog that is 6 feet under?

Nice hypocrisy there.
>>
>>2208031
>calls someone a cuck
>literally takes dick in the ass

I bet the irony is lost on you ( ͡• ͜ʖ ͡• )
>>
>>2208031
At least its not fucking dead.
>>
>>2208039
>actually straight

Maybe that's what you tell your mom so she lets you stay in her basement, but we know better.
>>
>>2208039
No it's not. It's dead and buried in the ground. Been for years, but you just like to come here and pretend it is.
>>
>>2208039
>what do you even mean, my dog is 17 and healthy as fuck ┐(‘~`;)┌
photo with timestamp, you lil' bitch
>>
>>2208045
>mulatto
>is a chink mongrel

umm ok?
>>
>>2208048
Probably has about as many different races as his dumb dead dog has breeds.

No wonder he likes to pretend it is alive so badly on this board. He finally found something as mixed as his mongrel ass.

It's okay bugguy. You can go to your shelter and find a cur just as impure as your chinky little ass. Won't replace the ugly dead one, but you can try ~
>>
>>2208055
>You can go to your shelter
Take home a cat, see how it feels.
>>
>>2208060
Why would I be angry? My dog is perfectly alive.
>>
>>2208052
you've been posting this photo for years now

dog is confirmed dead
>>
File: 1472077476192.jpg (42KB, 541x498px) Image search: [Google]
1472077476192.jpg
42KB, 541x498px
>>2208060
>did i steal your girlfriend
>bugguy stealing anything that is not a used buttplug

come on now, let's be realistic here
>>
>>2208068
Like how life wronged you when your dog died?
>>
File: 1380792.jpg (56KB, 660x495px) Image search: [Google]
1380792.jpg
56KB, 660x495px
>>2208069
or like when he got a "degree" in gardening
>>
What's wrong with rescue dogs? My dog is a rescue dog and he's the sweetest thing ever
>>
>>2208070
A week or two ago this time same time last year when it was actually alive?
>>
>>2208076
Could also be an ancient picture.

Grief does funny things to the mind you know. Who knows how many photos of your dead, dumb mongrel you have, just posting a few new ones every few months to make people think it's actually alive?

You need professional help :(
>>
>>2208082
>shitposting about my dog isn't going to make your shitty life any better haha ;')
It seems to be working for you haha ;')
>>
>>2208076
Yeah, like anyone's going to look at your shitty garden. People usually post some pretty rad plants in those threads and then you come along with your very special dandelions and shit.
>>
>>2208085
>tripfagging on /an/

fucking why?
>>
>>2208090
>no real degree
>no job
>living with mom
yeah, you're doing great :^)
>>
>>2208082
>tin foil.

not an argument
>>
>>2208096
>atleast I have a garden, all you have is a dumpster.

Assumption.
>>
>>2208096
>my garden is filled with rare wild plants ;')
repeating it every day doesn't make it true (just like posting pics of your dead dog doesn't make him alive)
>>
>>2208101
>you sure are slow.
>can't tell melons and passion fruits apart
mkay
>>
>>2208099
I didn't know you could get PhDs in Gardening and Posting Pictures of Dead Dogs.

Neat.
>>
>>2208096
I don't have a garden cause I'm not a fucking faggot LOL!
>>
>>2208107
It takes about half an hour to go out and collect those and you're proud of that? You must have some really low standards.

>can't afford rare plants
>"guys, salvia pratensis is the rarest shit ever. it only grows on 3 m^2 in nature"
pathetic ;)
>>
>>2208117
faggot ;')
>>
>>2208117
>sure it does in narnia.
>lives in a shithole
>thinks the whole of europe is like that
wew lad

>I don't buy plants lad ;') that's for amateurs.
well since you have no degree & job, you're literally an amateur
>>
>>2208099
>double PhD
>3 companies
>literally ads an academic title and a company in every thread
this is textbook autism
>>
>>2208125
>you don't have to project your crippling unemployment on me.
that's exactly what you are doing ;)

>ranked #7 as best in the world.
according to what by whom? your "data" once again makes no sence and you probably don't have sources (inb4 google)
>>
>>2208128
i don't think you can get a phd just for having autism, but hey, maybe that's how a country that's only 80% white operates. who knows.
>>
File: 1441912751431.jpg (59KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1441912751431.jpg
59KB, 200x200px
>>2208099
>double PhD

You know why nobody believes that, right?
>act like a preteen sperglord
>can't back up any statements with sources
>only comeback is "no u"
and the list goes on and on...
>>
File: 1435327130731.png (226KB, 352x387px) Image search: [Google]
1435327130731.png
226KB, 352x387px
>>2208132
>happines index
>having jackall to do with number of species and their abundance
yeah, limited mental capabilities once again confirmed.
>>
>>2208132
>I have to finish up some paperwork

I don't think fingerpainting count as "paperwork"
>>
>>2208146
samefag
>>
>>2208146
>he has everything you lack
like a "gardening phd"? top kek m8, top kek
>>
>>2207996
Still doesn't mean dick. What matters is health and confirmation and temperament and rehoming. You keep trying to prove she's a good breeder and you still haven't given any proof.
>>
>>2208072
Nothing necessarily. You do have to be more prepared for a shelter dog because you don't know it's history, but for a competent to experienced breeder, although my first dog was a shelter dog and he was on easy mode. Compared to a reputable breeder that does proper health tests and screens parents, shelter dogs can be prone to health problems you may not be aware of. However, dealing with a BYB like OP is, which is most breeders, you're running the same potential health risks.

Bugguy is literally unironically just here to troll with his Reddit memes
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.