[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Odd behavior question.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

File: Siberian_Husky_with_Blue_Eyes.jpg (69KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Siberian_Husky_with_Blue_Eyes.jpg
69KB, 960x720px
Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right placed to ask but I just got a 1.5 yr old Husky and he does weird things with my cats.

He ignores them 90% of the time. When he doesn't he either does the following:

1.) Half play/jump thing where he bends his front down while keeping his back legs straight while wagging his tail.

2.) Obsessively licks their assholes.

3.) when they try and move he cuts them off

4.) Chases them when they run, but stops and loses interest as soon as they stop moving

5.) will sometimes quickly open his mouth and put it over that cats body, esp. if they are running past him. He does it so softly they usually just plop on the floor and bat at him.

6.) If one hides under the bed he tries desperately to get to them.

I've had many dogs, and many of them Huskies (one was a wolf/husky mix). None have done this. I keep a muzzle on him when no one is around. Should I be worried? And if so, how much?

He also harasses the cats (as in walk up to them and just stares at them). If one bats at him he walks away for a while.

Another thing he does is he grumbles a lot. Like when I yell "No" or smack his head. Kinda like a growl but less aggressive (no teeth bearing or a tense face). When he grumbles I give him another lite smack 'till he stops. One time he was really mad and kept grumbling. I had my hands on my hips and he just walked over and nuzzled my hand/crotch area all while grumbling. What's with that?
>>
He is playful but it's also predatory behavior, especially if he is cutting them off and loses interest when they aren't moving. The movement makes him interested in a hunter/prey hlsorta deal.
He isn't doing it out of aggression but it isnt uncommon for these things to go too far. He could be fine with them for years, plus with this behavior, I wouldn't be surprised if you come home to a dead cat.

Look around for info about prey drives in huskies. You may never be able to 'fix' it but you can take precautions. You just need to keep an eye out, seperate them if they are home alone, etc. Muzzle may not be bad but if you were gone long I think it'd be cruel to him if it prevents him from eating or drinking.
>>
>>2207195
It's not so tight he can't eat or drink. Like I said, I've had many huskies (6, including the half wolf), but this is my first encounter with it. What are the odds that I can "fix" this? Should I just adopt him out? I'm his 3rd home if that matters.
>>
>>2207195
Also, he has never "bit" them, and he does play nip the air around them sometimes.
>>
>>2207202
You may be able to or you may not. How long have you had him? Is he fine except for this? If muzzling him or separating them when they are alone isn't too much trouble, and even with training I personally would still take the precautions. I don't think your dog is a monster, having 3 homes is pretty rough but I think the final solution should be up to you and what would be best for your dog and cats.
He seems to really like the cats and mean no harm. Is he an only dog? How much excerise does he get?

I'm no expert on training a dog out of these things because I've had very little issue with it. One of my dogs is on the larger size and liked to play with the cats every single time she saw them(which was all the time and she got too excited). Never touches them or anything but she would hop around them a lot happily. All I had to do was distract her whenever the cats came in the room(this was mostly while we were relaxing). Tell her no, go get her toy, etc. When she calmed down I'd take her outside. For the most part she won't bat an eyelash unless the cats come to her, and even then now she ends up just bringing her toys to them and once they won't throw it she gets distracted with the toy.

Again, look up prey drives with dogs and training with it. Maybe another anon with more experience will roll by. Suddenly just deciding to rehome him I don't feel good about. He deserves a crack at it. I've just heard many stories of dogs suddenly injuring or killing smaller animals theyve lived with so I'm really thinking the worst of what he might do. Maybe he really won't, but good on you for being concerned and already taking the precaution.
>>
>>2207225
I have had him for 6 days. He is fine most of the vast majority of the time. He looses interest very easily.

He is an only dog for now and my wife and I walk him for about 1.5hours a day when we have work.

He also doesn't care about toys, bones, etc.

I've tried looking up prey drive training, but all I found was talk to a trainer, which I can't afford right now.

I also would like to not re-home him. He was left alone with all 3 cats for almost 8 hours (I wasn't there but I was close by and listing). When I checked on them two cats were sleeping on the bed, another on the toilet, and he was on the floor sleeping. He was rehomed once when we was sold to the old owners, who got allergies after having a kid, then I got him. He has no history of behaviour issues.

And I still don't get the whole grumbling while nuzzling thing.
>>
>>2207257
I was under the assumption you had him longer. I'm hesitant to give you a solid yes or no answer, but I do think this can be fixed or mostly fixed. I'm leaning towards your doggo.

I googled 'training prey drives' and found loads of results. Id link but I dont have the time nor patience to read every one to tell you whether or not it's 'good' advice. I think this is as far as I can go for advice. /an/ is slow. Plenty of people here have/had huskies, whether or not many are still around I'm not sure. It may help if you even find a forum dedicated to huskies and post about this(be detailed, how long you had him, all your concern, etc). For now all I can offer is a bump. I hope someone comes along and can help you more than I have, OP. Good luck!
>>
>>2207293
I googled 'prey drive in dogs', Seems my google-fu need work. Thanks for your help anon!
>>
Been a couple of days, I wanted to know does anyone know anything about the grumbling nuzzling thing?
>>
If you have to keep your dog muzzled you shouldn't have a dog you piece of shit.
>>
>>2208765
I don't know if I have to as I said you faggot. And it's not all the time, as I also said you illiterate cock sucking nancy boy.
>>
>>2208808
If you do it at all then you're incompetent. Do that dog a favor and find it a decent home.
>>
>>2208821
I may not need to, and I don't want to if I don't have to, and it look slike he is a great candidate for training. Besides, a muzzle isn't that bad. He can still eat, drink, and bark.
>>
>>2208825
If you were competent you wouldn't have to with any dog.
>>
>>2208832
Yeah because good dog owners can get rid of prey drive in less than one week. You should find a tall building to jump off of.
>>
>>2207180
Prey drive. Keep the cats/dog separate when you are not present.
Huskies are notorious for killing their fellow pets, especially cats.

>
Another thing he does is he grumbles a lot. Like when I yell "No" or smack his head. Kinda like a growl but less aggressive (no teeth bearing or a tense face). When he grumbles I give him another lite smack 'till he stops. One time he was really mad and kept grumbling.
The dog is just talkative senpai, huskies are known for being yappy or whiney in their special way.
>walked over and nuzzled my hand/crotch area all while grumbling
you're thinking too much of it.
>>
You're gonna come home to one or all of the cats dead if he has access to them.
>>
>>2208840
If you can't trust a pet around your other pets without fucking restraining one of the animals, then you shouldn't have it period. It's not fair to the dog to have to be muzzled because OP is worried about his shit cats. He shouldn't have gotten a dog in the first place since he plans on abusing it.
>>
Many dogs cannot be kept around cats for the exact reasons you are outlining. And the reality is that many dogs can just never be trusted around cats, no matter how much training for they get. Even if you work on training him, I would still recommend never, ever trusting him alone with the cats. Work on training him so the cats are less stressed, and maybe even consider using baby gates or a spare room to give the cats distance from the dog while you are gone.

Ignore the shitposters... there as been this influx of "if your dog isn't a robot then you are an awful trainer".

It is good he is muzzle trained. Every dog should be happy on a muzzle. It's an important skill every dog owner should train, just like crating.
>>
>>2209799
If you can't keep your dog and your cats together, get rid of either the dog or the cats. Don't abuse one for the sake of the other.
>>
>>2209806
How is keeping the dogs and cats in separate roo "abuse"?
>>
>>2209807
I'm not talking about keeping them in separate rooms. I'm talking about muzzling the dog or locking it in a tiny cage ("crate").
>>
>>2209808
Oh. You are one of those people.

Here is your (you) from me for this thread. Have a nice day anon.
>>
ITT: a /pol/ psycopath is a shitty pet owner and no one is surprised
>>
>>2209745
>walked over and nuzzled my hand/crotch area all while grumbling
I just couldn't tell if he was mad or wanted me to stop being mad.

As far as they prey drive goes, he's actually starting to do really well with co-habitation condition. We've been doing some intensive exercises and now even if they run he at most trots up to them and does nothing now. Though we have a rat for food for my Python, and he wanted that bad for a few days. The thing that sucks is he doesn't care about any toy.
>>
>>2209781
I can't FOR NOW. I don't know how many times I have to say this. The whole point of this thread was to see if there is a good way to train him, because if I can't I was going to adopt him out. And his prognosis is looking really good.
And a muzzle is far from abuse, you are being way to over dramatic.
>>
>>2209799
He doesn't mind the muzzle and he can still eat and drink (it's loose, but not so loose he can get out). He grumbled the first few times, but because I give him a really good treat when I put it on he actually gets excited when I bring it out. And another thing I'm happy about is he is learning what hissing means. Now when they do it he backs off and leaves them alone for few hours, even when I'm not in the room (I've been leaving him alone with them, while in earshot, ~ 10 hours/day, and he had no muzzle on).

The cats are relaxed now, and I've even come to find them sleeping within a foot of one another after leaving them alone. The scariest moment was when the cats were playing and chasing one another. My dog got very excited and ran after them. They stopped once they heard him and he did the play thing dogs do (when they bend down) and started grumbling and yelping because they stopped, the same thing he does with other dogs who won't play with him. Before his ears would face forward, his body would be rigid, and his mouth closed. Most of this has stopped happening now too (he still closes his mouth, but he does that for anything that excites him including the leash).

So all in all, I'm happy with how things are going. Though I always love more advice such as the baby gates.
>>
>>2209808
I don't lock him in a create, and he doesn't mind the muzzle. I don't screw it into his flesh or anything.
>>
>>2209824
What makes you think I'm from /pol/? Legit question.
>>
>>2209865
Sounds like you are doing really well. Again, I just stress that no matter how much you train, you can never be 100% confident with cats and dogs left alone. You might be 99.99% sure, but there is that 0.01% chance that could end you up with a dear cat, and/or a dog that needs a couple hundred bucks of triage for cat wounds at a vet (wounds from cats are no laughing matter and should be considered very serious). Dogs aren't robots and there will always be a chance training can lapse. And there is no way to train a cat well enough to be 100% confident with a dog. Do not discount the damage a cat can cause a dog.

You'll have to monitor the baby gate. With a husky, he could probably clear it if he had the desire. A spare room would be the best. If you really want, you can buy these devices for doors that hold them just open enough for cats to pass through, this way the cats can come socialize with him but they have a viabl3 escape route (would recommend it myself but it is an option).
>>
>>2209882
I know there can be a lapse. One thing I need to do (and I may test with the rat) is I need to find out what he will do. I need to know if he wants to catch or kill what he chases. So far he has never hurt any of the cats, even from day 1 when he would chase them. He doesn't even hold them down. After I let him chase and catch the rat I will decide what to do when I am gone. I have a room I can dedicate to him fortunately.
>>
>>2209918
One last thing to remember is how differently dogs and cats play. What might be okay rough house with another dog could really hurt a cat, or offend a cat and make it attack.

Maybe see how he interacts with a small, toy breed dog? Some dogs seem to just know how to play with a dog smaller than them, so it might be another good information point.

You're doing really good OP. Best of luck.
>>
>>2209929
>What might be okay rough house with another dog could really hurt a cat, or offend a cat and make it attack.
That was actually my main concern. Thanks to a web cam however when they do bat at him he back off, even when I'm not in the room. For the last 3 days he has given up entirely on playing with them.

>Maybe see how he interacts with a small, toy breed dog? Some dogs seem to just know how to play with a dog smaller than them, so it might be another good information point.

That's a good idea. I did let him play with my father shitsu to see how he does. He did the nipping in the air thing, and the hopping around and bringing his front paws on the ground thing. He never even play nipped the dog or got close, unless he did first (though he liked to taunt to play) I don't know if that's good or bad.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.