[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rat cages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (209KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
209KB, 1080x1080px
I'm looking to buy the Little Friends Triple Metal Rat/Chinchilla/Ferret cage for a pair of female rats I will be getting in a few weeks. I quite like this cage as it's a decent size, a shape that I actually like and it has three levels so it offers plenty of space for toys etc. And this is where my question lies - how on earth do I decorate the cage? Could you guys post some pictures of your rat cages (and rats!) to give me some inspiration?

Also, if anyone knows where I can buy fleece in the UK I'd appreciate pointing in the right direction, I don't want to buy off eBay as I'd like to actually see and feel it first. Thanks!

(Pic related, it's the cage I'm getting)
>>
>>2205178
I don't know if it would work for what you want, but they actually make kitten cages that are pretty fucking big. I imagine original idea was to display kittens at a pet store, but you can get them kinda cheap because no one sells kittens at a store.

Fabrics like that you'd be able to find in an Art's and crafts store. You might also want to put cardboard along the sides if you're worried about mess or privacy.
>>
>>2205196
I would imagine the bar spacing in these types of cages would be too big for young and female rats, or am I wrong? I'm pretty set on the cage above though.

The only craft store near me is Hobby Craft, I can pop over after work - hopefully I can make it before they shut. Thanks for the suggestion!
>>
File: image.jpg (190KB, 606x610px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
190KB, 606x610px
Okay another question - how do I get my dog to think of the rats as friends, not food?

Also, are there any dangers (to the dog) with having rats in the room she sleeps in? Ie can they make her sick?

Pic somewhat related I guess, my dog looks like that but with floppy ears.
>>
I see the cage has wire platforms. wire platforms are really bad for the rats' feet, so cover the platforms, or get different ones.
rats like to climb and to hide in things, so you can use things like ropes and bird perches to make climbing possibilities.they sell hammocks for rats where i live, they really like those. though you'll have to wash them frequently, and they'll chew them up, so don't expect them to last forever. if you're handy with a sewing machine you can even make them yourself. It's also a good idea to change the setup of the cage, put the toys and such in different places, change out the toys for other ones. that keeps the rats busy with exploring for a bit.
>>
>>2205392
Thank you! I'm going to cover the wire on the platforms - I thought I mentioned that somewhere. If read about bumble foot etc, although I'm still a little worried about the ladders. We'll see.

I have an eye out on some hammocks and soft tunnels that you can hang up, the website where I'm getting the cage from has lots to choose from! I'm having a hard time deciding which ones to get haha.
>>
File: image.jpg (65KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 880x660px
Bump, just in case someone has anything to add ^^
>>
>>2205178
>And this is where my question lies - how on earth do I decorate the cage?

You go to your local dollarstore, and you buy whatever you want. Actually, Halloween is my favorite time for animal decor for my snakes. (I have rats too, but different set up). They have pre made baskets, and fabrics you can use for hides, plastic chain, dog rope toys make excellent rat ropes. Just get creative really.

>>2205388
Just don't. Dogs and rats have never really gotten along well in all of my experiences. No there really isn't anything a rat can pass to a dog, and vice versa. Keep your rats cage clean, your dog may urinate to cover the smell of the rats (unlikely, but a friends dog did this to her as soon as she brought rats home). Rats stress easily, they really need a nice low traffic area where a dog can't harass them.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.