[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

17 year old dog

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: cantdeal.gif (449KB, 286x119px) Image search: [Google]
cantdeal.gif
449KB, 286x119px
Hey guys, I have a 17 year old half Schnauzer that I have a question about, lately we have been having a very hard time with her because she has extremely limited range of movement. In fact she constantly falls onto her back legs and can not get up without our help. It's become a problem because she's been going to the bathroom in the house sometimes, not because she doesn't know but because her mobility is so bad that she can't get up to go outside herself anymore.

Are there any kind of joint or bone formulas we could give her that will actually help? I thought about getting something off the shelf but I wasn't sure if I'd be wasting my money or not. She can walk if she's already standing, but she never stays on her feet for long before she needs help.
>>
File: 1311626491256.jpg (124KB, 337x367px) Image search: [Google]
1311626491256.jpg
124KB, 337x367px
isn't this the kind of thing you should talk with your vet about?
>>
>>2204530
we don't have a vet sad to say. I was reading a discussion on here before about people that had this problem with very old dogs and were able to restore some freedom of movement with supplements, so I thought I'd ask.

It's all we can really afford to do.
>>
>>2204530
I knew this was going to come up.
>good meme
>>
>>2204524
>my dog is so old that she's crippled can I feed her some fairy farts to fix it
Sorry, op, no. Your dog is old.
You can either accept that you're her hospice nurse now, try to make her comfortable, physically lift her and take her outside every hour like she's a puppy again, or you can be selfish and have her euthanized.
>>
>>2204569
>selfish
oh yeah, its horrible to kill a dog that can't go on walks or play fetch or any of its favorite things and all it can be do is sit around and be sad all day

when the hips go, that's it, man. The dogs not living anymore. its just alive.
>>
>>2204569
I think you mean unselfish
>>
>>2204524

Supplements won't work if her hips are as bad as you say: typically supplements like chondroitin support the cartilage - they don't actually 'heal' the joint.

She's an old dog, however, if you think she's just not getting up on her back legs because of pain you could go to your vets and try some non-steroidal anti-inflammatories - however, if her mobility is terrible becauce her joints are collapsing underneath her then these won't help.

Afraid you have to accept you have a very elderly lady, she's gotten to a fantastic age- and you need to think about saying goodbye to her. I'd be tempted to look at the HHHHHMM scale (https://vetsocialwork.utk.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Quality-of-Life.pdf) if you feel you need an objective perspective on her life. I find it's really good for clients to actually review numerically their dog's quality of life.
>>
I also own an old doggo. He can still walk around the house but he can't see much and often pees/shits outsite of his litter mat. We tried to have him wear baby diapers, but they fell off
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.