[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Taking dog to dog park

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: husky dog face.jpg (21KB, 340x270px) Image search: [Google]
husky dog face.jpg
21KB, 340x270px
Hey /an/. You may remember me. I own a small dog, live with my parents, and my mom doesn't allow me to "walk" my dog and insists that I should always put my dog in a stroller when taking him outside.

So over the pasts few months, I've been secretly taking my dog to the dog park every now and then. I've noticed that my dog tends to walk away when other dogs approach him. Will my dog learn to "socialize" with other dogs in the future?

When I take him to the dog park, he often defecates as soon as he arrives. Is this a sign of anxiety?

Thanks for replying.
>>
Jesus Christ kill your mom
>>
>>2202849
I actually do remember your thread.

The defecation could be stress, or he could like pooping and peeing outside. If I remember, you said he used doggy pads. Believe it or not, dogs do have a substrate preference where they take care of business. So you'd need to monitor him to see if he looks stressed out exploring, or seems to be enjoying himself.
>>
find him a nice spot he enjoys to shit, take him there to shit everytime he needs to.
i remember you are old enough to decide these things yourself and not be ruled by your mother
>>
>>2202883
He always follows me around the dog park. Is this a sign of stress? Will he ever learn to interact and play with the other dogs?

>>2202918
Yeah I am old enough lol. Usually my parents do not walk to the dog park area but not they are addicted to Pokemon Go so I am worried that they will pass by the dog park and see me with my dog there.
>>
>>2202922
>and see me with my dog there.
So? If you are this worried that your parents are going to see that you are not walking this dog in a fucking stroller, then this should be the first problem you need to address. Once you actually have control of this animal then you can move on to training, socialization, and obedience.
Until you stand up for yourself, tell your mother she is being ridiculous, and that you are going to take care of this, all other advice is secondary. Good luck.
>>
>>2202922
>around the dog park. Is this a sign of stress?
Maybe. Is his tail tucked? His ears pinned? Is he excessively sniffing? Yawning? Licking his chops and smacking his lips?

I would take a few steps back. Start by getting him familiar with clicker training, if not already. Once he is there, find a friend with a very friendly dog his size. Let the two interact. When your dog acknowledges the dog and interacts in a positive manner, click, praise, treat. You are capturing his positive interactions with other dogs, and making him associate interaction with other dogs in a happy, fun context.

Even if you or others disagree with my above method, I think going to a dog park is sort of a 0 to 60 in 2.5 seconds deal. I would start with smaller play dates with one or two dogs, and don't move to a dog park until he interacts with those same two dogs well.

That all said, don't stop socializing him to the world. Take him to some lower dog traffic parks. Let him explore the world, and give him praise and encouragement.
>>
>>2202926
You weren't there for OP's other threads, were you? His mom won't let the dogs feet touch the ground; she makes him walk it in a stroller. He has to sneak around to get the dog any stimulation at all. Arranging a play date would be a hell of a lot harder than sneaking to a park
>>
>>2202933
Sounds neurotic behavior. But I guess it's not killing the dog.
>>
Avoid dog parks. They're horrible. They're full of ill-trained, disease/flea ridden, unaltered dogs.
>>
>>2202849
>my mom doesn't allow me to "walk" my dog and insists that I should always put my dog in a stroller when taking him outside.
What are you, 12? Tell your mom to pound sand up her ass and walk your g'damn dog the way an owner should.

>dog park every now and then.
Dog parks are ass, and you're likely to do just as much harm to your dog as good, due to the fact that most pet owners don't teach their dogs how to behave and expect them to magically learn it on their own. In the dog world, assertion and aggression is the key to getting resources, like a ball, or rank, and out of control dogs in dog parks are likely to use aggression to get the resources they want since their owners haven't trained them properly. If your dog has a resource an aggressive dog wants, it could maim or kill your dog for it...

>Will my dog learn to "socialize" with other dogs in the future?
It'll learn alright, but you may not like what it learns. If the dogs are out of control aggressive, your dog could learn to be aggressive to get what it wants, just like other dogs, or it could learn to be aggressive out of fear to defend itself. Likewise, it could also learn to be completely submissive out of fear as well. If you want to socialize your dog with other dogs, then do it with trained dogs that have responsible owners, and not just strangers who let their dogs run wild in a park every so often. Look for obedience groups, or dog sport groups.

>When I take him to the dog park, he often defecates as soon as he arrives. Is this a sign of anxiety?

The body language you see before, and after, he shits will tell you whether or not it's anxious or normal.

Another option for you is to watch how the dogs, and owners, at the park behave, and talk to the individuals that have actually trained their dogs and arrange for a place and time to meet up with their dogs alone.

Luck.
>>
>>2202849
Is your mom retarded? Are YOU retarded? Seeing as you actually put a fucking dog in a stroller and walk around with it.
>>
>>2202926
Only his ears are pinned
The other dogs aren't aggressive
>>2203153
Should I talk my dog on a leash instead? What kind of leash or harness should I get? Am scared of bumping into my parents.
>>
>>2202849
Stupidest thing I've heard yet. Walk the dog and tell your mum to grow up. A dog isn't a toy or a child.
>>
>>2204370
>Am scared of bumping into my parents.
You keep repeating this, knowing full well how fucking stupid it sounds. If this isn't bait then learning how to walk a dog is the least of your problems.
>my money is on bait
>>
>>2204616
this. OP is such a retarded cuck its painful to read.
>>
>>2204709
If I remember the other thread, OP is Asian.
>>
It is pretty common for dogs to poop soon after getting to the dog park. Just watch the other dogs when they show.

As for dog parks in general some are good and some are bad. Just depends on who shows up. We have a core group of people at mine, the regulars, all of which I trust and then we have the people that show up every now and again some of which are fine and some have dogs that shouldn't be at the park. I generally leave for a walk when the questionable dogs/people show up.

As long as your dog isn't afraid or acting aggressive towards other dog it is fine. We had a full grown saint bernard start showing up regularly at ours that didn't pay any attention to other dogs or other people at first but after many visit started playing with other dogs and going up to people for pets. My own dog doesn't play with other dogs very often but he likes hanging out with them and interacting with the other people.
>>
>>2202849

You say this is a small dog? Contact your local pet stores. Our local Petsmart has an activity twice a week called 'Puppy Playtime.' It's 1 hour, with a couple of trainers and how ever many other puppies show up. We pay $10. And the goal is, obviously, socialization. Because they're in a tight (30'x30'ish enclosed space with chairs lining the walls) space, they are sort of forced to bond and can't segregate too much.

We've had 2 dogs go through 4 months of this, once a week, and they are beautiful socialized and it's a lot of fun. Bonus: Indoors.

Ours has an unspoken guideline about no dogs older than 6 months, but we had a lot of older, small dogs in there. It's more about space and safety than the age of the dog. I am positive a trainer would never turn down a dog like yours (only if it was hyper-aggressive, which it's not). You should look around and see if you can find something like that. It's a lot of fun and the results are obvious. You also get to talk with others and ask the trainer any questions you might have about issues that come up with your dog. Be ready for her to slap your shit about that stroller thing, though.
>>
>>2204717
OP definitely, definitely sounds asian
>>
>>2204766
He sounds Japanese. Putting dogs in fucking strollers is such a Japanese thing to do.
>>
>>2204766
>>2204770

pets aren't NEARLY as common in Japan as they are in the US. So, they're adoration of them can be over 9000.

Only 18% of households in Japan have dogs. 12% have cats. Only in recent decades has Japan started keeping pets as less utilitarian and more as family pets/companionship/decoration.

In the US, 37-47% of households have a dog, and 30-37% have a cat."
>>
OP here. Today I took my dog for a walk outside of the dog park.

I took him to the pier. I walked him without a leash because I don't have one. I tried putting him on the ground and since he follows me everywhere like he did in the dog park, I just decided to walk him off leash in this area. The pier is far away from roads with cars.

My dog seems very happy to be walking outside of the dog park.

Is walking my dog like this ok? Or should I get a leash?
>>
>>2205257
Pretty sure it's illegal to not have your dog on a leash, and what if something startles your dog and it just bolts off? Get one OP.
>>
>>2205257
Definitely get a leash. Better safe than sorry. If he really walks tgay nicely, he might be a good choice for a retractable leash.

Also since he is a smaller dog, you'll want to use a harness instead of a collar.
>>
>>2205257
Get a leash they're super cheap. What breed of dog is it?
>>
>>2202849
your mom is mentally ill she needs to realize it's a dog not a baby and you OP need to get a spine and tell her this before her abuse fucks it forever
>>
>>2202924
Dude...just from the last thread, that lady sounds batshit crazy. I wouldn't tell her anything and instead try to move out as soon as possible-those are the type of people that will flip and kill you. There's probably a good reason OP hasn't stood up to her.
>>
>>2207023
Maybe her cheese has slid off her cracker, idk. My point was until OP addresses the elephant in the room he probably shouldn't even attempt any form of training because the mothers actions will make efforts counterproductive.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.