[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /an/ So I recently got back from a weekend of dropping off

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: AmbyBambyWamby.png (315KB, 380x536px) Image search: [Google]
AmbyBambyWamby.png
315KB, 380x536px
Hey /an/

So I recently got back from a weekend of dropping off a sibling at college; I picked up my dog from the daycare we send her to, however I noticed that she was limping when we got home.

Now, this daycare we send her to is actually out of a persons house. She essentially has the whole first floor of her house as well as a fenced-in backyard available to the dogs; we've had some minor issues before (the woman keeping a bag of food, or allowing our dog to chew through her harness--keep in mind, I don't think my dog chewed through her harness, as she never has before. I think another dog did, and she blamed it on ours, but I digress), but nothing where I thought my dog was hurt. The bottom line is, this woman has about 5-8 dogs in her houses running around regularly, and I think one of them might have injured my dog.

When I look at my dogs paw it doesn't necessarily seem swollen; theres no blood, and she's not whining, but she *is* limping. On top of that, he one paw (when bent back) stops at a point; with my dog, hers goes all the way back and touches her leg. Again, I was very gentle with my dog and wanted to check the range of motion in her paw.

I plan on taking her to the vet tomorrow, as all the vets around us are closed today. In the mean time, any idea on what might be wrong with her paw? Thanks /an/

Pic related, my dog.
>>
How old is she?
Keep in mind dogs can sprain just as easily as us. My one dog is on the older side but has tons of energy so I have to actively prevent her from leaping out of the car or off the porch or she may limp for a day or few. Our younger dog has also sprained both of her front paws(separate times) by being a general goofy idiot having a blast running around other dogs.

This could easily just be a little accident that could happen at any time, just unfortunately happened at a place you may have already been wary about. I'd be mad as fuck about the dog food, though. 8 dogs is also a little much for assumingly one person. I don't know her or anything but I don't think she did it, and I don't see how another dog would directly cause it. She could have just jumped or moved the wrong way.
>>
>>2202367
My dog sprained one of his hind legs just out of no where. All we did was our usual walkies thevday before, and he wakes up with a limp and a painful leg.

Sprains can just kind of happen to dogs while doing normal, doggie activity.
>>
>>2202367
>>2202375
She just turned 4; she's an Aussie mix so she definitely has a lot of energy. And yeah, what sucked was that we had an entire bag of food (20+ pounds) and she kept it; that and the harness were what sparked the wary-ness desu. And I guess it could have just been her being her normal energetic self; the only thing that made me wonder if it was a dog was because she totally freaked out at the sight of not one but two dogs (Backing away, hiding behind me, tail low, etc), which she's never done before.

Regardless I think we're just gonna take her to the vet tomorrow and look for a daycare where they can watch her better. 5-8 dogs is waaaay too much for this lady, which we realized relatively quickly.
>>
>>2202405
If anything it sounds like the kind of injury a dog might get play wrestling with another one. The other dog might have been too rough with your girl, ignored her "lay off!" yelps and she landed on her leg funny or something. I don't imagine it was a dog attack... probably just something innocent and she hurt it by accident. Definitely best to look for a better doggy day care though.

Hopefully the vet will confirm it is a sprain, and send you two home with some anti-inflammatories and an orders for her to be a lazy couch potato for a week or two. Keep us updated on how things go!
>>
>>2202405
If she is acting differently from other dogs, she could be overwhelmed by the daycare. Maybe it's a specific dog or two, which unfortunately you can't help. Sucks if she was having a good time and something has to ruin it. Most dogs who actually like other dogs I know love daycare, but no it doesn't take much for one shit dog to ruin it, or maybe there is just too many dogs and you're dog hasn't been able to catch a break. Perhaps you can find a dog walker and make play dates with other owners.
>>
>>2202421
That's possible! I'll be sure to tell you how it goes after tomorrow!

>>2202422
And yeah, I've only even seen two other dogs they take care of (A mastiff and a bulldog), however I know they generally have 5+ dogs there at a minimum. I'll just have to look for other daycares, that's all.
>>
One of my dogs has come back from the kennels with a puncture wound on his face near his eye that turned into a scar, and on a separate occasion a puncture wound on his back leg.

My other dog, at daycare, wore the claws on his back feet to the quicks and bled all over the place. He was just too active while playing, and did it entirely to himself.

The worst time was when one of the dogs came back from the kennels with diarrhea like water, which later turned bloody. He shat all over his bed when we got home, the poor thing.

Anyway, shit happens.

Take your dog to the vet, but she probably just sprained herself doing something too active, unless you can find evidence of punctures.
>>
>>2202437
Yeeah, sorry anon. I never put any of my own dogs in a daycare but what do you do/think when that happens? Is it just 'shit hallens'? Where would you draw the line? I feel like it's similar to a dog park. You can only expect so much but at least I can keep an eye on my dog and remove her if I think she has had enough. She loves to play but she needs her space when she is tuckered out. She was adopted old and has little tolerance for a dog that refuses to get out of her grill. She has never attacked another dog but at her worst for far she will growl and snap, but we go on our way when her ears are no longer perked, tail down and is no longer interacting with other dogs on her own.

In a day care I feel like that's a lot of trust and you cant help that there will be some shitty dogs, or dogs that just don't realize another doesn't want to play anymore.
>>
>>2202405
As a general rule, with any place you send your dog, write your dog's name on the food bag in really obvious sharpie where it can't be easily cut off, along with basic feeding instructions (1 metric cup, 2x daily) for example. If you're taking cans, write your dog's name on the lid and whether it's for breakfast or dinner.

Also write your dog's name on their collars and their harnesses and their raincoats, if they have raincoats.

If they have medication, write their name on the lid and the bottle, and if there is no obvious prescription information on the bottle, write dosage and time of day to be taken.

Just -- name everything. Write out an inventory of everything you're leaving at the kennels, and repeat any medicine/feeding instructions here too. Keep a copy for proof.

And do this everywhere, not just at the daycare you think is dodgy. People can be forgetful, leave things in places they shouldn't be. Occasionally things get destroyed. Occasionally people really are just negligent and/or assholes.

But keeping notes like that and naming everything means it's much less likely that you'll lose something.

I'm proudly the asshole who turns up with a 20-page manual on the care of one specific dog, and who writes all over everything so absolutely no mistakes can be made.
>>
>>2202445
Yeah, my line of thinking is literally just "Shit happens. Get over it." Dogs are dogs are dogs and you can't expect them to be anything more. They don't always agree with each other, so daycare and the dog park can be a lot alike. And I agree with the dog park comment -- if I can see my dog getting overstimulated, I remove him from the situation. Dogs that don't know each other well should never be left loose together without strict supervision, and dogs that have problems with other dogs should be muzzled/not put in that situation in the first place.

That said, I am also >>2202447 and I do keep a really strict record of things.

The only thing is, I wish the kennels had told me that the one dog had an upset stomach. If I'd known he had diarrhoea, I would've taken steps to make sure he got outside when he needed to, and I wouldn't have had to wash shit off three different blankets and the floor and the wall and the other dog's bed too.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.