[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Staging in Wildlife Doc

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Cub-in-Zoo-Cave-620x351.jpg (29KB, 620x351px) Image search: [Google]
Cub-in-Zoo-Cave-620x351.jpg
29KB, 620x351px
What do you think about the practice of staging or conditioned shooting in wildlife documentaries? I always wonder why certain scenes from BBC/NatGeo can look a bit too good to be true.
>>
Fine by me, I don't see the animals complaining
>>
>>2200394
Pic related is justified. Filming inside a Polar Bear den is basically impossible.

I think OP's worry is understandable if we are talking about predation sequence where sometime documentary makers somehow manage to get said footage with such perfect timing/angle.
>>
I don't watch Planet Earth to watch some Britbong take 45 hours to find a weird shrew to record for 3 seconds before it notices and fucks off.

I watch Planet Earth to watch a weird shrew eat bugs.
>>
Anyone notices how since that Polar Bear fiasco, BBC earth constantly mentioned which part is staged and which isn't. It's nice of them to be transparent. But i have to admit, i prefer if they explained it in the behind the scene section.
>>
>>2200399
I remember there is that scene from NatGeo where they got a King Cobra attack and kill a rat snake just before it catch a mouse. Great footage, you can still watch it in Youtube. But i agree, it does look a bit too good to be true...
>>
>>2200394
Some staging is kind of necessary for a good wildlife documentary.
It's like simplifying the description of an ecosystem, or using an illustrated diagram of an animal's anatomy instead of photos of an actual dissection.

Sometimes the artifical model can convey the information you want better than the real thing.
>>
>>2200394

Real life is (relatively) boring and involves a whole lot of nothing happening before something happens that- if you have a camera handy- usually results in some shitty poor angle far off shot of a portion of the action. Every minute of decent footage required dozens of hours of no worthwhule footage or shitty footage.

Staging scenes, splicing scenes, editing, and creating a narrative helps create context.

The only thing I'd take issue with would be if they're splicing together stuff to try and imply behaviors the animals never actually display or for overly sensationalist reasons.

Really the case for all documentaries really.
>>
I prefer Steve Irwin's style of animal documentary.
Run out to the animal, catch it, then show it to the audience and explain facts about the animal.
>>
>>2200582
Attenborough did this too a lot of time (minus the catching). I have to admit i find him more interesting when he is explaining the subject on the field.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.