[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pleco Fish Care

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: fish tank 038.jpg (240KB, 2047x1535px) Image search: [Google]
fish tank 038.jpg
240KB, 2047x1535px
So I got a pleco fish from petsmart earlier today. Its in a 20 gallon tank right now. I know that they can get pretty large, but I thought this was rare to see. Its about 1.5 inches, should I be worried?
>>
There's many different pleco species, over 500 almost. They can range from 1.5 inches to 1.5 foot in length.

Since what's commonly traded is the bristlenose pleco, aka ancistrus, you are lucky. But if you got a sailfin pleco, you need a giant size tank.

Is that pleco in the pic yours? Looks like a bristlenose to me.

They prefer higher temperatures, wood to chew on and oxygen in the water. You can also feed them.dead leaflitter and boiled cucumber, Zucchini or peppers. They dig veggies.
>>
>>2199975
The one in the picture isnt mine. However mine does look very similar. Its black with very faint spots on it.
>>
You almost definitely have a common pleco. They on average get somewhere between 18 inches and two feet. They can get bigger, but thats rare.
>>
>>2199958
Got a pic. My bet its just an ancistrus, so 3-5 inches at max. Should be fine in your tank if its not too stocked.

Disregard >>2200006, just some mad tripfag from the /aq/ thread
>>
>>2199975
>largest pleco gets 1.5ft
My poor child. The largest plecos gets 3ft
>>
>>2200164
>ancistrus
Thats possible, but the most common species is the huge one so you're just being retarded.
>>
Yeah I don't know what some of the other people in this thread are thinking but I'm going have to say you have a common pleco. Those things are common as dirt and as cheap as it, too. The mostly likely choice if you just blindly got one at a pet store.

Common plecos can get like 3 feet long and will need an absolute minimum of 55 gallons as adults. They're also disgusting, filthy animals that poop constantly, just fyi.

In the unlikely event that it is a bristlenose, then you'll be fine with 20 gallons as long as your gravel vaccing a lot and keeping up on water quality. Ideally bristlenoses should be in 30 gallons or more. The only pleco that I know of that could be just fine in a 20 gallon tank is a clown pleco.

Luckily plecos grow pretty slowly, from what I've heard, so you have plenty of time to choose your next plan of action.
>>
>>2200169
>55 gallon
>bare minimum
>for pleco that gets 1.5ft on average
Super kek
>>
>>2200165
this anin is right, Acanthicus sp., for example get about 3ft long

>>2199975
>Looks like a bristlenose to me.
the one in the pic is definitely not a bristlenose
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2199958
You probably have 6mos before you will want to get rid of the thing. There's always the myth that the fish will only grow to the size of the habitat, but have fun with a 10"+ pleco in your 20gal tank.

Idk why Petsmart still sells common plecos. They get way too big. Not sure what all they have now, but when I worked there we would sometimes get different species for a few months at a time and I was always stoked because I could sell plecos to people with smaller tanks and not feel guilty.

I didn't even like putting common plecos in my 75gal. I was a fan of the ones with the spines on their head, can't remember the name but they were fairly cheap and only got to ~6".
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.