[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Animal Mourning Thread How do you guys deal with the passing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 22

File: IMG_20160823_234239527.jpg (3MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160823_234239527.jpg
3MB, 2340x4160px
Animal Mourning Thread

How do you guys deal with the passing of a pet?
My 4 year old white bellied clique died in the night and I don't know what to do with myself.

Any tips on funeral pyre construction? She was fierce in life, she should be fierce in death.
>>
>>2198368
>White bellied caique
>>
>>2198368
Play this when you light the fire OP. It'll be cool as fuck.

https://youtu.be/OIVSpY8xY9I
>>
>>2198376
Will do. Got any other pyre appropriate sins?
>>
>>2198379
https://youtu.be/3YOYlgvI1uE

This one always reminds me of apocalypse now
>>
You will need the fire to be very hot OP so you will need some smaller pieces to start the fire and larger pieces to hold and release heat. A good fire is one that is prepared well in the first place. Construct well and your companion will reach valhalla.
>>
>>2198368
It's so hard to just "deal" with. The best you can do is let yourself mourn and remember the happy times.
>>
What do you do when your small pet dies? Like a rat or bird? Can you get a vet to cremate them? I don't live in a suburban or rural environment so burying them isn't an option, plus that's illegal and apparently environmentally unfriendly.
>>
File: IMG_0033.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0033.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>tfw have to euthanize my featherfin catfish of 6 years

fuck
>>
>>2198546
I think most people just bury them. I had no idea that was illegal anywhere.
>>
I recently lost a bird.

I live with my parents while I'm in college and my mom brought two Budgies. My mom is one of those owners who doesn't want anyone touching her birds but also doesn't want to take care of them appropriately. She doesn't give them vegetables, doesn't pet them, doesn't let them out of the cage, doesn't have a mineral block, etc. They essentially just have two basic perches, a swing, a toy, some mirrors, and a bird bath. They're not remotely hand-tamed or anything. I was hoping to take them with me once I move out but one of them suddenly died. We found her on the bottom of the cage dead one morning a few weeks ago. I presume it was due to poor nutrition or an illness. The other one has been alone since. My parents are debating on whether to get a second bird or leave her alone. I suggested buying a new one at least. She doesn't look that good. She's all fluffy and her nails are overgrown, but I don't know if it's because she's not able to groom herself well on her own or if she's sick. She makes noise at least.

I don't mourn the other bird since I did not know her well but I mourn what should have been. She never was able to fly, never tasted vegetables, never felt what it was like to be pet... It's all so sad. I had dreams of taking them with me and rearing them into happy, socialized birds but now part of that dream has vanished.
>>
>>2198578

I heard that it's bad for the water system. The animals leak into the water
>>
>>2198609
I know that there are places that cremate pets for sure. I just don't think that's the norm, maybe it's just where I live.
>>
>>2198609
>>2198634
A good option (the most natural and eco-friendly one) is just to give it's body back to nature.
Find a wild, secluded and beautiful spot, like under a big tree or in a flower bed. Lay the pet's body there, uncovered, or perhaps cover it with leaves, flowers, bark, whatever natural things you enjoy. As long as it's away from humans (think, in a natural reserve or similar) it shouldn't bother anyone.
If you want, you can take a small memento, say a small tuft of fur or a feather or two. I have a tiny bit of my first dog's fur in a gold locket.

By giving it's body a "natural burial" as I call it, you're basically giving it back to the ecosystem. And it will provide nourishment to thousands, maybe millions of other animals, from scavengers to microscopic critters. No matter how tiny the pet, nature will make use of it, and it's death won't be meaningless.

The only exception to this should be animals that had unnatural parts (metal implants, etc) or where on heavy or long-term medication prior to passing, as it WILL do harm to the ecosystem. Then I suggest cremation.
>>
>>2198579
You should seriously tell your mother what a piece of shit she is. Buying living creatures for their own enjoyment and not propelry taking care of themselves is just horrible.

They are caged, they have nowhere to run and are being abused. Help the remaining one and get him/her another buddy. That's the best you can do for this bird.
>>
File: image.jpg (224KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
224KB, 750x750px
>>2198368
It should go in this
>>
>>2198731

I know she's a bad owner but most bird owners I know seem to be. People who play with their birds are a minority.
>>
>>2198368
>life expectancy 30 years
what happened op
>>
>>2198802
You don't really have to acteively play with them, it's enough if you give them options to play with each other. Birds should never be kept alone.
>>
>>2198820
I don't know! She was supposed to outlive me. My poor baby...
When I went to uncover her cage in the morning I found her clinging to the side of the cage close to the water bowl. She was already stiff. I had to pry her little toes open to get her out. She died upside down.
The water bowl was sideways and there were some of her feathers stuck to it. Looks like it spun somehow and broke her neck.
Her Best friend, my other caique, was sitting there next to her poking her with her beak. She is so quiet now, she won't sing out play. At least she is eating...
>>
>>2198859
That's very sad. I hope you fix the water bowl so it doesn't happen again. Also get her another friend, she will mourn even more than you.
>>
>>2198859
I'm so sorry, that's heartbreaking.
>>
File: WP_20141027_006.jpg (1MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20141027_006.jpg
1MB, 1456x2592px
>>2198863
>>2198866
thanks guys. I dont know if or when I'll be ready to get a new bird. I dont want her to be lonely, but i cant look at another white bellied caique without being reminded of my little nugget.
>>
>>2198912
I know it's hard, I've lost a bird too and they are the best companions.. Just keep a close eye on the other bird, if he shows sins of depression you may have to get another bird in a few weeks. I wouldn't get him one right away, but after he is adjusted a bit I bet he would love to have another little friend.
>>
>>2198368
i usually just cry myself to sleep while holding them in my hands, then gently wrap them up in some cloth and seal it in a box and bury in my backyard
sorry to hear about your bird OP, it's hard for me to look at that pic, but i've also included little things within the box sometimes.
like what >>2198532 said, let yourself mourn, cry and never forget about the good times you had with your bird. spend a lot of time with the one you have left even if it reminds you of the one who passed, she needs you
>>
>>2198735
you're a fucking monster
>>
she won't stop doing the flock call for her dead friend. Its loud as fuck i dont know what to do.
>>
>>2199016
I don't think there is much to do other than spend time with her and wait for her to stop. You may have to get her another bird, I think I would give her time to mourn first though.
>>
File: IMG_20160824_220426318 (1).jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160824_220426318 (1).jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>2199025
she heard me watching a video of dead bird and not she keeps trying to go through the monitor. I dont know if I can deal with this. I'm thinking of putting her up at a parrot orphanage for a while.
>>
>>2198577
why? whats wrong with your fish?
>>
>>2199056
>I'm thinking of putting her up at a parrot orphanage for a while.

that's pretty cruel desu
>>
>>2199056
I know you're hurting but that will stress her out so so much. She is already stressed enough losing her friend. Changing her life that much all at once is not good for her.
>>
>>2199073
>>2199082
I'm trying to be positive and play with her but everytime i look at her i just think of the one that died. I keep asking myself if there was something i couldve done to save her and I so so afraid that something will happen to the one I still have. I just want her safe.
>>
>>2198577

just eat him, you can be together that way
>>
>>2198368
I might be too late, but in any case, have this in memoriam of your fierce bird pal.
https://youtu.be/63pDGJ-32Kg
>>
>>2199104
this is amazing, thank you so much. Will definitely play this.
>>
>>2199110
See>>2198735
>>
>>2199091
Just double-check everything you have. The water bowls etc. Make an effort to make a safe home. Don't be discouraged by the mistake, you didn't mean it.

Imagine how sad she must be just thinking her friend is gone. you understand why she is gone and that it will stay this way. Be there for her, don't give her up because it's hard. I had my firt budgie after my old one died in 10 years because it was so hard for me. It was a very good decision.
>>
>>2199016
If you still have the body I definitely would show it to the other bird.

>>2199056
Yeah, I guess if you wanted to you could fuck up your other bird for no reason.
>>
>>2199326
>>2199332
You're right, she needs me now more than ever. I'll be a good papa to her.

How many times does she need to see the body. She saw it when i first found her and then a couple hours later. she kept flying over the body trying to get her to get up and move.
>>
>>2198609
Thats only really an issue if you're burying cows or something huge.
>>
>>2199335
Please don't show it to her. Birds mourn differently than us, they do not understand the body is not a living thing anymore, they just want it to move again. Most birds heal when they get another partner. It really is not comparable to us.

She will hurt more if she sees the body again thinking she might come back. They don't get the concept of saying goodbye one last time. Don't do it.
>>
>>2199338
okay. I dont know what to do, i keep reading different things. I guess I won't show her the body just to be safe.

If I decide to get her another friend, should I get one that is younger or older than her? The parrot that died was the big sister. She really took care of the little one.
>>
>>2199344
If you don't find someone who is about as old as her, get her a younger one. It will probably make things a little livelier and she needs that. Also you don't want her to lose another friend that early.

And about the showing the body thing, I don't know if you do that with other kinds of pets, but birds will definitely not understand it. It's actually torture for them since they can't comprehend what is happening before them. She isn't sad because her friend is dead, she is sad because she isn't there anymore, but if she doesn't move that doesn't help.
>>
>>2199349
>>2199349
god that breaks my heart. I'll have to be careful watching videos of her sister so she doesnt see her and think she's still alive.
I might see about rescuing a parrot. I dont know. It might be a while.
I keep thinking that I'm okay now, that I've cried enough and have accepted it but then I'll start sobbing. I dont think I can handle having any more pets. The loss is too painful.
>>
File: 6mgqsiY.jpg (23KB, 332x443px) Image search: [Google]
6mgqsiY.jpg
23KB, 332x443px
My mom freezes her birds that have died then sells them on Craigslist to people who're learning taxidermy.
>>
>>2199355
I dont think i could do that to my baby.
>>
>>2199351
It's horrible and I understand your pain. In these situations you have to forget yourself if you know your other pet is hurting, too. You are the stronger person and can deal with it far better than animals. You always have something to do to keep your mind of things, it's hard for animals to do the same. Just don't take too long for your pet's sake.
>>
>>2199351
Think about it this way: Do you want to provide a good home for the birds you love? Do you want to share happy moments, sad moments and just be glad that you were able to meet each other in your lifetimes? Losing them is always really painful and it's not for everyone, I agree.

I just like to think I did my absolute best to provide them a great home and they probably would not have been that happy in another home. Death always comes, for everyone of us. I think we need to accept that with an aching heart.
>>
File: IMG_20150618_121607743.jpg (3MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150618_121607743.jpg
3MB, 2340x4160px
i miss you bun. we were supposed to chill and play vidya all winter..
>>
One of my friends' dogs passed away last night on the one night I was taking care of him for them. It hurts almost as much as when I lost my own dog.
>>
>>2199448
oh no what a cozy baby
>>
>>2199469
I'm so sorry. what happened?
>>
>>2199497

We think it was liver failure but we're not sure. He died right next to me while we slept. I thought he was just a little sick.
>>
>>2199513
sucks man.
>>
made a call to the vet about cremation. I'm worried about messing up the pyre.
>>
>>2199574
Right choice, buddy, you did well.
>>
>>2199574
See>>2198735
>>
It's probably weird but I feel almost like I'm mourning a pet that probably isn't dead yet.

When I was a kid, around 12 years ago, my parents got me a Beagle. Alas my parents aren't good with dogs so they gave her away due to her being "untrainable" and "too hyper". It was for the best but sometimes I wonder what happened to her. Did she get adopted? Was her new home a good home or did she end up in a shelter again? Is she healthy? Is she happy? Is she dead?

I'm starting to feel nostalgic for her. Maybe I'll adopt a Beagle one day.
>>
>>2199902
I know the feeling. When I was a child we had a German shepherd, and my parents gave her away when we moved. She has to be dead by now and it depresses me to think about it. She really loved us, I just hope she was happy with her new family.
>>
>>2199338
>Birds mourn differently than us, they do not understand the body is not a living thing anymore
Debateable. Some species of birds absolutely do understand, and it is unproven in others.
>>
>>2200139
Which species do understand?
>>
>>2200244
Some corvids pretty much hold funerals. Parrots aren't quite corvid level smart, but they still are pretty smart. It seems like pretty much all birds/mammals have some sense of "getting" death even though they might not properly understand it.
>>
File: IMG_20160821_193521.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160821_193521.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
I just lost my cat, Sherlock.

He had been getting out a couple of months ago, but I managed to stop him with some vermin mesh.
He somehow found a way past it and was hit on the road.
I saw him inside at 1am, and at 5am he was dead.

I'm still fucking bawling, I can't cope.
His brother is searching for him, he doesn't understand.

Fuck this so much.
>>
>>2200248
Will look into the corvid part, sound interesteing. As far as I know budgies do not understand deaths.

>>2200252
I'm sorry, mate. It's always horrible.
>>
>>2200252
How does a cat just get outside by itself? Can it open doors?
>>
>>2200307
Slips out. Gets past a screen or dashes when someone opens a door. I'm all for shitting on people complaining about their dead intentionally outdoor cats, but stuff like >>2200252 is legitimately sad because it was an accident.
>>
>>2200321
It just doesn't sound like much of an accident. Doesn't sound like it slipped it when someone opened the door. He said he used vermin mesh? Why the vermin mesh when a closed door would work?

I'm just sick of idiot cat owners who kill their pets and then whine about it.
>>
>>2200252
Fairly ugly, at least now you can get a cat with a nice coat
>>
File: image.jpg (150KB, 807x605px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
150KB, 807x605px
>>2200321
>>2200322
This is why I just own an outdoor/indoor cat that I am prepared to let go of when she dies.
Love her, but I don't wanna stop her living her life, and life involves death at some stage.

That said, it seems to be that her having grown up going wherever she likes (rescue cat, now free roaming) she has learnt to avoid roads and shit. Just fights with other cats too much, gonna lose an eye sometime.

Trying to trap a cat indoors is too much for me, as now it gets out and runs right into a bumper, and it feels like it was the owners fault. Rather let the cat do what it likes, and if it gets itself killed, it is on the cat and the owner can just mourn.
>>
>>2200341
>if I just don't take care of my animal I don't have to mourn when it dies

What the fuck? You shouldn't be allowed to have animals.
>>
>>2200343
I just feed it, and give it somewhere safe to stay.

If it feels the need to roam further, I am not going to stop it. I take care of my cat, but it is not a house cat.
>food
>water
>shelter
All ticked, if it wants to chase the horizon, that's on the cat. My duty of care is covered.
I get all of it's shots/medication too, and it fucking hates it, but I am not locking an animal that is meant to live outdoors inside. Same way I don't agree with fishtanks under 50 litres, it just ain't fair on the vast majority of fish species, even if it is easier on the keeper in some way.

My cat picked me bro, we have a relationship that is not so much owner are friend/partner. I am not gonna cage her.
>>
>>2200349
You just don't want to feel guilty when your stray dies, even though it will be entirely due to our neglect. You should not have animals. Imagine if dog owners did what you're doing.
>>
>>2200352
If I had the space to let a dog range free? I would let it.
A dog wouldn't leave my side though, they are generally pack animals. The whole point of pets is a reasonable level of care, sometimes you can't pet proof your entire life, and the pet has to be somewhat responsible for itself.
If one of my fish swims into a crab, and gets his shit rekt, then tough luck, he was not too great of a fish to begin with apparently.

>leaving you animal to do it's thing is neglect
>allowing your chickens/cat/dog to roam free is inherent neglect
>...
>free range eggs are the product of neglect
>free range eggs are inherently evil

Oh I am laffin now
>>
>>2200354
Free range chickens are still confined to a certain area. They don't just run off randomly like you let your cat do, idiot.

I agree, the whole point of pets is a reasonable level of care. That's why you don't let a domestic animal roam unsupervised unless you truly don't give a shit about it. And if you don't give a shit about it, as far as I'm concerned it's not your pet, it's just a stray.
>>
>>2200358
I kill stray cats and dogs people let free roam. Also I kill any dog on my block that is let outside and still haven't been caught. Cats and dogs are cancerous.

Also OP just throw it in the fucking trash it's just a bird and since it is dead you're retarded to have any more expenses.
>>
>>2200359
I do kill stray/outdoor cats. Dogs I don't because dog owners are sensible enough to keep their dogs indoors; every dog I've seen outside has accidentally gotten out. If I can't find an owner I take it to a shelter.

Oh, and just a bird? You've never had a bird. They make better more affectionate pets than dogs or cats for sure.
>>
File: 0105151903-00.jpg (236KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0105151903-00.jpg
236KB, 1600x1200px
This is Bird.

I've never come on this board before. I only clicked on it on a whim because at 8:30 this morning, august 26, my cockatiel (unironically named Bird) died literally in my hands.

I have no one else to tell the story to, so I tell it to you, the uncaring internet.

Three weeks ago I noticed she was breathing heavily after flying, sleeping a great deal, and had this sneezing/coughing fit with clear fluid coming up out her beak. I took her to the vet, who agreed with my initial thought that it was an upper respiratory infection or sinusitis (her poo was the same, same eating habits, same weight, feathers weren't disheveled ect). Vet gave some baytril to give to her. The second day I gave it to her, the god damn plunger on the needle-less syringe stuck, then came shooting out all at once, jettisoning most of the medicine into Birds mouth. Some of it got in her lungs because she immediately began coughing / sneezing. I feared pneumonia, and rushed her to the emergency room (this was on a saturday in the evening). The emergency room was an hour away, only place that handled birds. When I got there, they put her on oxygen for 3 hours. I waited the entire time for her. The vet on duty (it was her last patient before leaving) said to see regular vet and get a chest xray. After taking her home, her symptoms seemed to subside and she acted very normally, until she got another coughing/sneezing fit a few days later. I took her to her regular vet that morning, she could hear fluid in her lungs with the stethoscope. I also made them take an in-the-box xray (since they couldn't restrain her or she goes into distress) and they found nothing on the xray. She prescribed some medicine I cant remember the name of. Azrithmycillin? Something like that. I was supposed to give to her for 3 days, then wait 4 days, then another 3 days and so on.

Cont in next post...
>>
>>2200362
If I don't see the dogs owner it gets killed. You should be doing. All house pets running free are to be killed or locked out of the house in the yard. Birds don't care about you. They care about the food.
>>
>>2200362
>dog owners
>sensible
>most owners leave dogs in back yards all day or in small crates for 8 or more hours
Top kek
>>
>>2200364
Obviously you have never had a bird, lol. You can say that about dogs and cats but birds don't act like that at all.
>>
>>2200364
As in if I see them in the backyard a poisoned sausage is in order
>>
>>2200365
I don't know anyone who leaves their dogs outside all day, in fact everyone I know thinks that is cruel. As far as crates, they aren't cages. It's the equivalent a bedroom for the dog. Still less cruel than sentencing your animal to death by leaving it outside unattended.
>>
>>2200366
i seen on someone lost. It was sitting on a fence. BB gun fixed that then I messaged the person the bad news that I found it dead.
>>
>>2200368
>crate
>not a cage
>small bedroom with only room to turn around and can't stand fully
You're right. Cages are larger.
>>
>>2200358
My cat is confined to a certain area.
It gets fed once a day, so it can't walk more than 12 hours in any direction, as it has never missed it's dinner.

Only a nu-male would be this paranoid about cats, I am used to living on a farm, and cats are always around, even strays would rock up to eat with the others.
Cats are not the same as dogs, they do their own thing, leave them be.
Same as owning a falcon, you have to let them fly, keeping them in a cage their whole life is cruel. Obviously some kind of constraint is reasonable to limit their range to ensure you can keep them in good health (a meal each day, or for falcons training etc) but other than that, animals have needs beyond what we humans have.

Your cat is living a shell of a life in your living-room my friend.

I used to keep my python under the shed in my backyard, he probably roamed too. Never came to any hard, and it was more of allowing me to see him and feed him, rather than me micromanaging his life. I approach my cat in a similair way.
>>
File: 0122150302-00.jpg (226KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0122150302-00.jpg
226KB, 1600x1200px
>>2200363
When I was giving her the Azrith-whatever medicine, she was acting strangely. Very fluffed, ALWAYS wanted to be near or on me, at all times, she was having difficulty pooing, and when she did there was very little coming out. I told all of this to the vet but no additional advice was given.

Today was the first day in which she was not supposed to have a dose of medicine. She woke me up at about 7 this morning, wanting to come in the bed and sit on my chest, like she always does (at night she sits on my chest while I read and I scratch her head). As its friday and I had nothing to do today, I wanted to roll over and go back to sleep, but she kept coming back to the bed, eventually I put her in her cage. After about an hour she was lightly squeeking at me, wanting out. Being the soft heart I am, I let her out and resolved to just be awake for her. After she flew over to me she immediately had another coughing / sneezing fit with fluid coming up, and I guess she couldn't get it out of her airway or lungs. She flopped around until I got a hold of her and then she went still, dying in my hands. I went nuts, crying, pleading, trying to massage her beak and stomach to get her lungs to work, even tried to give her CPR, but of course there was nothing I could do. It took less than 30 seconds and she was gone.

I still see her eye. She was looking right at me when she died. I can pinpoint the exact moment in my memory.

She was the only thing I had in my life. The only reason I had to live. And now her stiffening body, wet with the fluid from her lungs and my tears, sits lightly wrapped in a paper towl in my lap as I type this.

People who have never had birds cannot understand the depth that you can be attached to them. I've had all kinds of animals in my life, and with the exception of the dog I grew up with, I've always been closest to Bird. They aren't like dogs or cats. Its hard to explain.

I'm going to continue to post pictures of Bird until I run out.
>>
File: 0219162253-00.jpg (181KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0219162253-00.jpg
181KB, 1600x1200px
>>2200375
The only thing I'm thankful for is that she died here, with me nearby. My dog died in a vets office, after we left her there overnight. I've never forgiven myself for that mistake.
>>
>>2200375
I'm so sorry. Birds really are the best companions. You can't know this pain until you've experienced it. I wish you the best, just know you did your best. A lot of people wouldn't have even bothered to take a bird to the vet.
>>
>>2200375
This is why I keep my animals in a hands-off style.

Shit is too stressful, and the bird certainly doesn't appreciate you crying over it while it dies.
>>
File: 0122150437-00.jpg (200KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0122150437-00.jpg
200KB, 1600x1200px
>>2200376
I know anyone reading this thread will likely either not care, or be caught up in their own grief. But I had to put it down somewhere. I had to tell someone. Thanks for listening.
>>
>>2200373
Paranoid? I'm not paranoid. I don't have a cat. I know for a fact that outdoors is not safe for cats because I kill outdoor cats myself. I also see them run out in front of cars all the time.

Also,
>confined to an area
>can walk 12 hours in one direction

Lmao, confined? You are an idiot who does not care about his animal. When your car disappears just know that it's your fault.
>>
>>2200378
You've never had a bird.
>>
>>2200380
I have two tiels and I do care. I had an elderly blue and gold macaw a few years ago who passed away. She was my best friend. I know the feeling and I'm so sorry
>>
File: 0124150200-00.jpg (196KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0124150200-00.jpg
196KB, 1600x1200px
>>2200380

>>2200378
You're wrong. At the time I didn't understand why she wanted to ALWAYS be on me, either rubbing up against my mouse hand, or on my shoulder, or my knee, often asleep. She never wanted to leave my side, not even for a moment, except to eat or drink from her dishes, and she would come right back.

I wouldn't say that she knew she was going to die, but she was clearly ill and wanted to be by me. When her final sneezing/coughing fit started, she flew in a panic for a moment and then flew to me when her airway was blocked. Even though I know, intelligently, that I could not have saved her, I feel guilty as though I failed her and she died because I didn't do enough.
>>
File: 0127152332-00.jpg (217KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0127152332-00.jpg
217KB, 1600x1200px
>>2200384
>>
>>2200384
You did what you could. You took her to the vet, to the emergency room, and she formed a bond with you. A lot of birds are sentenced to lives in cages without love; you gave her a good life.

You can never "get over it". Let yourself mourn, but always remember the good times and that you gave her a great life.
>>
File: 0812150119-01.jpg (187KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0812150119-01.jpg
187KB, 1600x1200px
>>2200386
She used to sleep on top of this roll of paper towels next to the monitor all the time.

I have videos of her but they are from my phone in .3gp format, and I don't know how to convert them to webms. I'm glad I took them of her, the only record I have of the dog I grew up with is one picture on my night stand.

I unconsciously stack the books I read in between me and the picture so I don't cry when I see it.

Watching these videos and posting these pictures hurts but I try to remember the good things.
>>
File: 0122150306-00.jpg (183KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0122150306-00.jpg
183KB, 1600x1200px
>>2200390

>>2200389
Thank you

She was the only thing I had in the world. I have no friends. An apathetic, dysfunctional family that keeps itself together only because it has no choice. She was the only reason I had to live.

Anyone who has been in even a remotely similar situation knows that the term 'heartbroken' is not a fanciful word. Its entirely accurate; a dull pain where your heart is as though its been cleaved in two.

Anyway, I have no more pictures besides slightly varying repeats of what I've already posted.

Thank you for listening.
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 444x454px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 444x454px
>>2200381
Imagine a cat's walking distance in 12 hours, now use that as a radius to a circle.
Well done, you just confined my cat.

>I kill them
>So I know it's unsafe

So, the reason pets should be kept inside is because unreasonable retards will cause them harm outside? Seems intelligent.
This is damn near a threat, in that you acknowledge both that cats are in danger outside, and contribute to that danger.
>break into people's houses and kill their pets
>checkmate.
Great mate, just great, on so many levels.

Animals live their lives, being responsible for them simply means we do our best to keep them in good health while they lead normal lives. That does not imply caging them unnessasarily, nor does it imply shooting other people's pets, both positions which you seem to hold as a fellow animal enthusiast, which is fucking worrying in honesty. You probably need to grow out of that edge.

Again, sustainable pet-keeping, we want to have a minimal impact on the animals we care for, sometime circumstances restrict our ability to have minimal impact (boa constrictor in the inner-city) but on the whole I think we should try our hardest to allow the animals to live regular lives.
Wether or not the neighbourhood autists are adament about shooting them.

>>2200384
>animal scared
>it looks to it's carer for help
>"it totally loves me"

Kek, cus everyone who finds god on their deathbed is a great christian. She needed you to save her, it was a surivival reflex, and it didn't work.
Welcome to planet Earth, a grizzly bear will lick your penis if it was sure that would help it survive.
>>
>>2200392
Bird was always close to me.

She lived for 6 or 7 years. In all that time, she was not nearby me for more than an hour or two. I got her shortly after her feathers grew in, I hand-fed her, she trusted no one but me. Every 10 minutes of every day should would nudge my right hand to make a vertical C that she would press up into and snuggle against. She would jump up on my shoulder, then lean forward to catch my eye and get me to scratch her head. She would hump my mouse hand until I stopped her, she actually laid several eggs because of this. She would sit on my knee or shoulder for hours at a time and sleep on me, only moving when I wanted to shift position and then squawking at me angrily for moving. At night she would insist on sitting on my chest snuggled into my neck near my face while I read my book. She had no other bird to be with, only me.

She trusted me, and wanted to be with me in a way nothing else ever has.

If that isn't love, I don't know what is.

I think you are just a sad, lonely man who has never had the unhesitating and unflinching trust and love of something that you care for.
>>
File: 0201160102-00.jpg (172KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0201160102-00.jpg
172KB, 1600x1200px
>>2200401
>she was not nearby me for more than an hour or two

Meant to say she was not AWAY from me for more than an hour or two. Sorry.
>>
>>2200392
Perfect example of a mean, bitter cat owner who doesn't care for any animals.
>>
>>2200392
Letting your cat roam 12 hours away is not confining it. It is abandoning it. Congratulations on neglecting your animal, when it dies it will be entirely your fault.
>>
>>2200403
It cried reading all your posts, memories of my budgie came up. They are so little, your's was bigger, but still they are so full of love and caring. I'm very sorry for your loss, honestly.
>>
>>2200439
Pussy
>>
>>2200307
It's an old house.
>>
>>2200392
Cats should be kept inside because they're an invasive species and can cause nuisance to other neighbors.
>>
>>2198368
More people have seen your pet bird dead than have ever seen it alive.
>>
>>2200588
Cat owners are too busy waving their dicks around to care about the well being of their pets, wildlife, or other people.
>>
my green cheek conure died today after 6 years, don't know how. he was fine yesterday
>>
>>2198368

Two years ago my wife bought me a cat for my birthday.

Now, we didn't go into Petsmart looking to adopt, we were just there looking for stuff to give our existing pets. I like to buy my cats stuff on my birthday.

We were walking past the cats they have in store, in my town the cats are all "last chance" adoptees. If they're in petsmart it's because the shelter couldn't home them out and they usually give them two weeks more at petsmart before euthanasia.

Anyway, we heard this great big, loud meow and looked in. This hugelong striped american shorthair was looking straight at me and meowing his head off and pawing through the cage.

He did this every time we walked past until finally I went in and he started rolling against the cage, purring and batting at me and the attendant looked surprised, telling me the cat had been pretty aggressive or disinterested in anyone else who handled him.

I was pretty resistant at first. We already had two cats and a dog and I didn't want another one but my Wife tells me. "Oh anon just hold him for a little. He's flipping shit trying to get attention."

Now. I have a softspot for cats already. I've always had a catbro to keep me company since I was little, and all my cats live long happy lives. As I'm holding him he's bumping my face and giving little bites and snuggling in, and I reluctantly put him back into the cage before I got too attached.

The person working there told us that this was the cat's last week and by friday he was scheduled to be euthanized if he didn't get adopted.

"Fuck that." my wife says, looking at me "Happy birthday asshole" and she immediately starts the adoption paperwork.

I named him Jojo and we were inseparable from the moment we got home. He always greeted me when I came home from work, always slept on my legs at night, we even ate our meals at the same time, and he loved laying across my shoulders and sleeping when I was at my computer.

cont'
>>
>>2200641

Now the papers we got said he was eight years old, but I think he was probably closer to ten or twelve because after a year he started showing signs of age.

Having problems jumping, stress cleaning, stress eating, and loooooots of piss in the litter box. Our Vet gave us all sorts of stuff to try, herbal remedies, had us change foods, litter, move shit around. According to all the tests it was just the cat being old and needing some extra care.

I massaged his hips and back and paws and fed him personally and everything I could. Finally a few months ago the little guy had to go and died laying in the window. I went to pet him and he was stiff and cold.

I built a little box from spare oak I had sitting around and buried him behind my house with some nice bricks as a small mausoleum. I hope I made his last few years good.
>>
>>2200391

Good bird. Very loved.
>>
>>2200380
Shut up anon I read everything and I'm crying now

Go to heaven Bird, your owner love you
>>
>>2200632
The thing with birds is that they hide any evidence of sickness as much as they possibly can. They may seem fine one day and drop dead the next; that's why regular vet visits are important as well as closely paying attention to their eating habits, breathing and droppings. I'm sorry for your loss, anon.
>>
>>2200419
Again, tell me how this is an inherently dangerous practice.

>>2200588
>invasive species
The Australian government has classified them as minimal impact, they catch other invasive species for the most part.
I am within my rights legaly (Australia takes wildlife very seriously) and ny neighbours have yet to complain.
Also, I just moved to a new suburb, and at least 4 other cats have run through my yard already.

In my situation, what are some other reasons?

>>2200629
I am an insect, reptile, and plant enthusiast as well you cretin, I just don't feel the need to baby my cat.
>>
>>2200591
I used to post WebMs of her in the bird threads here. I'll post all her birdie vids when I get home tonight.
>>
>>2200757
>"I don't feel the need to take care of my cat"

Then it's not your cat; it's a stray.
>>
File: image.jpg (105KB, 720x446px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105KB, 720x446px
>>2200789
>baby = take care of

Anxious mother detected. Do you still live at home or something?
Part of life is being independant, let your pet live it's life, and simply help in any way you can.
>>
>>2200793
It's not a pet if it roams around outdoors. It is a stray.
>>
>>2200793
They are called "domestic" cats for a reason.
>>
>>2200799
>being the ultimate authority on pet classification
>browsing an autistic mongoloid basket weaving board

Kek, right mate, I will be sure to hold your baseless opinion in high regard.

>>2200800
Domestication does not implying living in the house, mate. Many animals are
domesticated and yet are allowed to roam over land which is deemed safe by the owner.
>>
>>2200989
"Deemed safe by the owner"

You won't give two shits when your animal disappears though. It happens all the time and you idiot cat owners whine about it and deny that it's completely your fault. Have fun neglecting your animals.
>>
>>2200252
Reminds me of my dog when I was a kid. He got hit by a car on the morning that my 8th grade graduation was held. I didn't get to see him, he'd been dead for hours when I found out. Didn't get to say goodbye or anything
>>
File: image.jpg (70KB, 500x464px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70KB, 500x464px
>>2201038
>won't give two shits
>whine about it

I am going to go out on a limb and say that you are lumping a large group of radically different people together baselessly, seeing as you can't even stick to what "we" say, in your opinion.
>>
>>2201080
I see you people whine about it all day long. You neglect your animal, willfully cause its death, and then whine when it happens.

You are either entirely stupid, entirely heartless, or probably both. Cat owners.
>>
>>2200252
>cat was out and died
Oops.
Take comfort knowing that nothing of value was lost.
>>
File: image.jpg (108KB, 500x628px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108KB, 500x628px
>>2201138
>willfully cause it's death
>whine about it

Again mate, you need to assess how you are getting you argument across. Very few people will whine if they intentionally kill their pet. What you mean to say is that cat owners unwittingly cause it's death, and then whine.

However again, that neglects to address people like me, who are aware and willing to take the risk.
Most cat owners who post here, will be the unwitting/stupid kind if they are genuinely upset and didn't expect the cat to die at some stage.
Also
>implying the whole world is not stupid, heartless or both

You seem incredibly assblasted about this issue my friend, and I would reccomend finishing school before arguing on this shithole of a site. Your inability to construe a coherent argument shines through all of your posts so far.
Thread posts: 129
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.