[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/herp/ Reptile & Amphibian general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 66

File: PythonsOfTheWorld.jpg (69KB, 720x446px) Image search: [Google]
PythonsOfTheWorld.jpg
69KB, 720x446px
previous thread >>2185579

/herp/ reptile classifieds for finding breeders of various scaled and sundry creatures

>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>Also check to see if there are any annual reptile shows/expos in your area as these are good places to find good animals from good breeders at partial discount

/herp/ officially official all purpose care sheet of wonder and magic

>sand a shit
>use a thermostat
>read all the caresheets
>set up your tank before you get your herp
>regulate temps & humidity levels prior to herp arrival
>do not fuck with (handle) your herp for at least 7 days after bringing it home and ideally wait until herp has eaten at least one meal (for snakes), two meals for lizards, frogs, etc.
>PVC tanks are way better for most applications and worth the extra money
>it is best to avoid chain pet stores when looking to purchase live animals as mass breeder suppliers are not especially careful about health and sound genetics... it often saves you money long term to spend a little extra up front to get a healthy animal
>>
File: dumerils_boa.jpeg.jpg (554KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
dumerils_boa.jpeg.jpg
554KB, 1200x675px
dumeril's boas have really pretty patterns
>>
File: BurmBath.jpg (36KB, 648x486px) Image search: [Google]
BurmBath.jpg
36KB, 648x486px
bath time
>>
File: snake and liquid in the tub.jpg (420KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
snake and liquid in the tub.jpg
420KB, 1600x1200px
>>
>>2195550
they sure do, I wish they were bred for morphs though, some more vivid colors would be nice
still though, when I get the space I'd like to have one
>>
>>2195551
>>2195562

Why do people do baths for their snakes? Is it only when there are problems shedding? Or just to clean smells off when they give birth?

I've just never had a snake with a partial shed since I got my hogg island's CHE adjusted properly and his enclosure arranged appropriately. I always read that baths being stressfull/washing away some essential oils off their skin.
>>
File: DSCN0308.jpg (1012KB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0308.jpg
1012KB, 2272x1704px
>>2195576
Pic related; Dantes having a bit of a wander after being let out of the Chateau d'lf.
>>
>>2195576
Two reasons.

1. To work off a bad shed as you mentioned
2. You should if you snakes gets poo all over itself after crawling through it

Oh, and also you may do a soak as part of process for removing mites. That's about it. It's not something you do regularly, just when aforementioned scenarios crop up.
>>
>>2195134
Look into dwarf geckos. The Sphaerodactylus species. They are usually around 5cm and need small enclosure.
>>
>>2195547
How dangerous are these large pythons to handle? Seems like they could easily choke that woman to death if they decided to. I guess they won't since they've been recently fed?
>>
What interests you in keeping reptiles? I've thought of keeping a corn snake a few times but I worry I'll get bored. They're not as handson as a rat or bird after all.
>>
>>2195773
I don't have any reptile pets, but I can tell you why I want to, and why I got the pets I currently have:

1. It's interesting to learn more about another species of animal from first hand experience
2. It feels fulfilling to be responsible of them, to know they can rely on you for their well-being and to deliver the best life experience you can for them
3. Beautiful

I'd suggest reading more on corn snakes, see some care videos, read experiences of people with them. If you feel interested enough and have the money get it. If you don't feel quite the "click" with it don't
>>
>>2195773
Its pretty easy to get attached to a reptile even if they don't get attached to you.
>>
I'm getting anxious just from looking at OPs pic.
>>
>>2195576
Sometimes the poo may calcify inside your snake and warm water and a belly massage could help
>>
>>2195760
They are powerful when they get that big but they never get so powerful you couldn't get them off of you. And they are always gentle anyway, a snake that size wouldn't consider trying to hurt you.
>>
>>2195773
They are just beautiful animals and a marvel of nature, really. And they are just cool, and it's pretty fun to personify them sometimes. Like my boa will come up to my face and try to chill on my head and it tickles. Or when she did the same thing to my friend and took his glasses. It's cute.
>>
>>2195760
Generally speaking the larger a python is the less fucks it gives. The only times that you risk harm are getting them out of an enclosure or removing eggs. The worse encounters I've had with pythons have been times when hands were misidentified as rats, you do not want a python to bite and wrap your hand and arm. But once they're out of their enclosures they're pretty calm, they just need to understand its not food time.
>>
Sorry for the trouble but you guys seem like the right ones for this request. I remember a show called Killing for a Living that used to be transmitted through discovery and animal planet. you guys know where I can find the footage of a Gaboon Viper attack displayed in that show? it was a clean direct hit on the side of a rat. any clues can help out.
>>
>>2195773
They're much prettier and have more exciting morphs than most mammals. They're also just so different than us and interesting. Lastly, they're simple and I don't have to pay attention to them 24/7
>>
Heyo, question about bearded dragons.The girlfriend usually takes care of him so I don't know much aside from what to feed it. Even then she's made a chart. I've noticed when I bring him out to socialize/pet him his eyes close. This isn't a sign of discomfort/ annoyance is it?
>>
>>2195576
A lot of people think that bathing them is beneficial as well, people will even use oils and lotions on their skin, which is absolutely terrible for them. Excessive use of oils and lotions of any kind will eventually cause them to slough off the coverings of their scales and damage their skin. Bathing is stressful and bathing them in a bath tub is kinda gross what with all the chemical and dirt residues in the tub.

Unless it's medicinal, I wouldn't bathe them. Even if they had a bad shed or were covered in poop, a wet washcloth can solve both those issues without forcing them in a pool of water.

As long as humidity is high enough, snakes don't need any sort of additional moisturizing habits.

>>2195760
In general, they're pretty safe. You have less than half a percent of a chance of getting killed by a giant, less than one person has been killed per year since the '70's. Only 17 people total have been killed by a pet snake in nearly 50 years.

If they do decide to strike/constrict, they can leave devastating results. A male retic in breeding mode can rip your arm open to the bone, a good strike from an adult Burm could break your ribcage and your clavicle, a good full on constriction can break almost every bone in your body.

But usually, they don't resort to that, so just don't tangle with a hot-blooded male, don't smell like food, and always practice cancelling cues and have 1-2+ people with you at all times and any danger can be greatly mitigated.

>>2195905
They very well do get so big you can't get one off of yourself, the get big enough it can be a chore for even 2-3 people to wrestle them off a person. Don't underestimate them.
>>
Any advice how I can get a BIG boa out of an enclosure? Every time I try, it is a struggle between him constantly moving back into the cage and my trying to pull him out. He's gotta come out sometimes for cleaning and baths!

I don't need a tool or some shit, he's really docile but hates getting pulled out.
>>
>>2195905
You would have absolutely ero chance of getting a snake that size off of yourself.

They just use tame individuals, same as anything else.
>>
>>2195773
>>2195848
I think lizards can get somewhat attached. Usually more of a mutual kind of respect sort of thing, but the smarter ones can definitely enjoy your company.

I'm not sure about snakes though because I don't have much experience with them.
>>
File: milkshake.webm (2MB, 532x932px) Image search: [Google]
milkshake.webm
2MB, 532x932px
hello
>>
>>2196692
Cute
>>
>>2196655
Bulk up. I guess you could leave his enclosure open and see if he leaves himself but that could take forever.
>>
I dont have a snake nor want one but do they really give a shit or not if they are in a heated drawer as opposed to a larger enclosure with shit to climb on? Do they genuinely like to 'explore' and do they need excerise or do they just exist to eat and fuck?
Genuine questions. I find them boring but I am curious about what people who have snakes have to say.
>>
I had 2 beardies that lived to like 10 years old. I was young when I got them and didn't take proper care of them as far as feeding schedules and vitamins go.

All I want to do now is get like 7 bearded dragons and devote all my time to them
>>
>>2196805

Depends on species but yes, they like to climb. It's good exercise for them.
>>
I need some urgent help guys

I tried to feed my beardie today and he didn't eat any hoppers i offered him, i noticed there was foam at his mouth and he was off colour, like a pale yellow, so I put him on his basking rock left the room for about a minute, I came back in and he was lying stiff on his back with his eyes closed

I panicked and while trying to figure out what had happened he opened his eyes so I turned him back over.

I headed off to work but left parents checking on him and he has turned on his back two more times while i've been at work. They've put him right each time and continued to check

Anybody know whats wrong? And can I do anything to help him through the night till i can get him to a vet?

I'm so worried and shit myself when i seen him upside down
>>
>>2196805
I would say they don't really care
but it also depends on the type of snake. like a ball python is probably content just to sit in a dark box forever but something like a corn snake probably isnt.
that being said, if you keep them in racks they should be taken out and allowed to explore/exercise every so often
>>
>>2196927
i have no idea what that could be
i would say just get him to a vet asap because it defintely cant be good

ive heard that inner ear infections can cause them to lose balance but i dont see why he would just flip over if he's stationary
>>
>>2196985

Thank you, i have been googling around and I am seeing a lot of contrasting opinions but ear problems seem to be a recurring theme.

The worst part is that I only got him a few months back, a work colleague of mine sold me him but I consider it more of a rescue as they clearly had no idea of how to keep him, he was in a very small enclosure and had been fed on live food his entire life, he is around two years old now I believe and I struggle to get him to eat his greens, he can hardly walk as his front legs seem damaged and can not lift himself up but instead crawls everywhere.

My guess is MB disease, although they gave me a different story.

It's my first herp after around six months of researching all different kinds of reptiles and I strive to give him the best quality of life possible, and it upsets me to see so many things wrong with him
>>
>>2196997
Could be organ failure. Is he getting enough calcium?
>>
>>2196918
>>2196957
As vauge as your answers were I did not think it's depend on what species, so thanks. It was still helpful.
>>
>>2196997
its sounds they fucked him up pretty badly, he's probably got MBD and god knows what else
>>
>>2196999

Every hopper i've ever fed him has been calcium dusted, and when trying to feed him greens in the past i've offered calc dust with it

Also have two UVB running in his tank 12 hours a day with his basking lamp on
>>
>>2197001
I know right, it's been around two and a half months since I got him and there have been no signs of stress or illness until now, so maybe it could be an underlying health problem?

His hot side is sitting at the right temp but his cold side could do with being a tiny bit cooler, any tips to help cool it down?
>>
>>2197008
its hard to cool down a side like that. is his water bowl on that side, its might help a little
the other options are figure out a way to move his light a little farther away or just get a bigger tank
>>
>>2197008
>>2197004
>>2196997
>>2196927

Me again, don't mean to keep multi posting but I have just gotten home from work and i am pretty sure he has passed on.

Thank you to everybody who replied I really appreciate your attempts to help.
>>
>>2197021
It was at that side yes, although he never drank from it
>>
File: IMG_20160509_225116077.jpg (4MB, 3006x5344px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160509_225116077.jpg
4MB, 3006x5344px
>>2197000
I have a few ball pythons and both are provided branches to climb on. I place their water bowls near the branches so they have easy drinking access. It allows me to use steep sided bowls that don't ever spill.

I have actually seen them drinking out of the water bowls when near a branch, but never without. This is anecdotal, but it seems to encourage drinking.

I think they don't care if there are not branches to climb, but they both definitely use them.

Pic related is The Boss, the scarring is from abuse from a previous owner. He was a rescue I took in after being attacked by a knife.
>>
>>2195891
Well unless you're a retarded kid or freak the fuck out, nothing will happen.
>>
>>2197100
I was wondering how he was doing
>>
>>2197169
Doing ok, he is still a stubborn eater but he's still growing.
>>
are veiled chameleons mean?
I have a crested/leo/dragon and was looking into one
>>
>>2197022

I'm sorry to hear that, anon. Take care.
>>
>>2197100

Oh hey! I remember this guy. Glad to see he's doing well.
>>
>>2197318
Chameleons are generally mean, yes. That aside though they are completely unsuiatable if you want something to handle.
>>
>>2197358
I need to stop buying lizards, got 4 right now
>>
File: IMG_1380.jpg (2MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1380.jpg
2MB, 2592x1728px
>>2196655
Mine isn't usually all that reluctant to come out, but basically I grab him by the middle and gently drag him forward until I can get him out enough to get his tail on my forearm and then I grab his front half with my other arm. Even if he tries to get away, by then I've got the majority of his body in my arms and he doesn't have a chance to really get away. If he struggles at all, he calms down once he's out.

Other times he stays curled up so can grab two coils with one hand and set him on the back of my forearm and set his tail or front half on my shoulder.

He's not really too big, though, only 6.5'. I would assume something similar might work, or get a second person to help you out. Try grabbing the front and back half at the same time and just lifting him out, if you can.

Pic is my boa, he's currently in shed, so no recent pics yet.

>>2197100
He's looking really nice! Can't really see the scars too well here without having them pointed out. It's crazy seeing what he survived, snakes are hardier than many give them credit for.
>>
>>2197368
I have 2 geckos, 2 lizards, and a boa
We're living the dream.
>>
>>2197377
I'm addicted now
>>
File: 20160823_005835.jpg (2MB, 2493x1252px) Image search: [Google]
20160823_005835.jpg
2MB, 2493x1252px
>>2197377
>>2197368
>2 lizards
>1 snake
>3 frogs, 2 toads
>1 newt and 1 salamander
>1 tarantula
>literally 7 turtles
>fish all over the place
>and that's just my cold-blooded pets

LOCK ME UP
no seriously this is such a money pit but I'm utterly in love with them all
>>
have six geckos (3 species) and a snake will be coming to join the family this fall.

You know, when I started with all this I was only going to get the one gecko... They're just so awesome and so easy to care for it's hard to stop.
>>
Orange snakes are the cutest
>>
File: cornflake.webm (3MB, 904x506px) Image search: [Google]
cornflake.webm
3MB, 904x506px
>>2196692
hello2
>>
>>2197706
>>2196692
apologize for my shit phone camera being out of focus 99% of the time btw
>>
What other then potatoes can I use to gut load my crickets?
>>
>>2197740

I use a mix of greens and carrots, just be careful because some super market greens may have pesticides on them, I had trial and error of some four or five boxes dying overnight to find out which ones were safe l.

So far i've had no problems with carrots, potatoes and rocket lettuce.
>>
>>2197740
Fluker's Hi Calcium Cricket Feed
https://amzn.com/B0002DRJD6
>>
anyone have a good idea on what dimensions are good for 3 adult whites treefrogs?
all the care sheets online are just kind of vague about it
Ideally i probably want something tall with doors on it
>>
>>2197982

I'm not personally experienced with tree frogs but I would say, based on their size and assuming moderate activity level, at least 18x18x24. Maybe 24x18x24 or 18x18x36 if you wanna go all out luxurious and roomy.
>>
>>2197374
Unfortunately mine is quite a bit bigger than yours. The problem was I changed from a top-opening cage to a more traditional rack-style one. So instead of picking him up, I am pulling him out. And snakes naturally move against what you are trying to do, and the thing is super powerful.

He's nice, but snakes are snakes and they will do what they do.
>>
>>2198027
>Unfortunately mine is quite a bit bigger than yours.
At least the one in your picture, you say he's 6'5 now but there's no way lol.
>>
File: DSC_0222.jpg (2MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0222.jpg
2MB, 3008x2000px
>>2198029
They didn't post a picture, he's mine, and I know for a fact he is. That's a 6' enclosure he's in. He extends along the entire side a little under half of a short side.

A 6.5' boa is not a large boa by any means, they're smaller than you think.
>>
hey guys, been wanting to get a pacman toad but there is something i want to ask you guys, are dusted crickets a good food for pacman toads. are crickets better? also is unfertilized soil fine for them to live in, or must it be the coconut fiber
>>
>>2198738
>are crickets better
meant to say roaches
>>
File: 1464187545254.jpg (9KB, 240x148px) Image search: [Google]
1464187545254.jpg
9KB, 240x148px
my female beardie juvinle is digging on her tiles and everytime i look at her, she looks back at me, and keeps digging
>>
>>2198779
>tiles
there's your problem
>>
>>2198781

tiles are the greatest son.

i'm not complaining, i just think it's adorable
>>
>>2197740
I use kale normally. They eat that shit up like there is no tomorrow.

>>2198738
Dubias will be healthier, but they will try to burrow as soon as you drop them in there. Dusted crickets are perfectly acceptable. Coconut fiber is going to be better. You can use unfertilized soil, but the coconut fiber is designed to hold mositure really well, which pacmans appreicate a lot.

>>2198779
Beardies are so derpy, I love them. She's trying to burrow, but I don't think she's going to get very far.
>>
>>2198793
thanks for the info mate. trying to decide between a pacman or a hognose snake.
>>
>>2198800
You will find the hoggie to be a lot more rewarding in terms of entertainment value. Pacman frogs just sit still most of the time.
>>
yea I was think about that after I read it's bad to handle frogs. any tips with the hognose?
>>
>>2198852
hoggies are drama queens
they play dead, they hiss, they blunt strike, but almost never actually bite
so expect resistance when you first get one

a small word of warning though, on the off chance you do get bit they have a very mild venom that may cause swelling. unless you're allergic of course, then you might have a problem.
>>
My ackie monitor fell and went into shock. He was dragging his rear legs and panicking for a bit but he's walking now.
I had him sitting on the table by his tank while I was cleaning it out and he jumped off and landed on his back.
I'm really worried. He seems normal again, just kinda slow.
>>
File: 20160824_194002.jpg (841KB, 1172x796px) Image search: [Google]
20160824_194002.jpg
841KB, 1172x796px
>>2198793
>>2198738
>>2198800
Feed your pacman frog out of its enclosure at least until it's a grown adult. Preferably you could do what I do and just never feed them in their enclosure, they swallow everything indiscriminately, and will eat dirt like crazy. This WILL impact and kill baby frogs, and you always run the risk of impaction even with adults

My Pacman frog has never eaten in his enclosure a day in his life
>>
File: IMG_20160824_203906.jpg (1MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160824_203906.jpg
1MB, 1944x2592px
Can I get an ID on this little guy?
Living in Southwest Louisiana, I've seen a couple of these around before. Found this guy while walking the dog; she was pawing at it.
Any way to tell what sex it is?
>>
>>2199031
looks like a southern toad (anaxyrus terrestris)
sexing them is a little more difficult, especially if it isn't an adult
female toads are typically larger and more round than males

if its mating season, the male might sing or you can check his hands for dark growths called nupital pads
>>
>>2199037
Thank you.
Yeah, might not be able to sex it. We found one before that was significantly bigger than this one, so I'm thinking this one is either young or a male.
>>
I've built 30x20x45cm vivarium out of plexiglass. It was lots of fun, I put bromelia there, covered backside with bark, some branches... It looks nice but the question is... What can I put there? Currently thinking mourning gecko... Any other ideas?
>>
>>2199434
A crested gecko would be happy in that.
>>
>>2199473
Isn't it too small for it?
>>
File: 452345345345.jpg (100KB, 800x680px) Image search: [Google]
452345345345.jpg
100KB, 800x680px
>looking to get a BTS
>come across on for £50 on the internet
>wow what a steal
>view the pictures
>it's missing toes and even whole feet

I didn't want this feel.
>>
File: CN7Ij03U8AA2iv_.jpg (21KB, 600x392px) Image search: [Google]
CN7Ij03U8AA2iv_.jpg
21KB, 600x392px
Got beardie, shes a bit tense after about 4 days, whats the best way to set her at ease and start building trust. I've been hand feeding her.
>>
>>2199499
Its on the smaller end but it could work. I kept mine in something about that size for a bit but I upgradedfior aesthetic reasons.
I noticed no behavioral differences.

>>2199508
Leave her alone for a week. Let her settle in. Most babies are flighty, and they calm with age. Be confident and she'll grow into bring tame
>>
>>2199499
>>2199516
Actually, it might not. I estimated the inch to cm conversion.
>>
>>2199499
Yes that's too small for an adult crestie. Mourning gecko would be okay.
>>
>>2195577

awwww
>>
File: image.jpg (905KB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
905KB, 4032x3024px
I think my leopard gecko likes the temp a lot colder?? I had him a few months, everything was fine, and recently moved to a warmer area. The temp and humidity gauges are still at fine levels for geckos. 80fahrenhrit and 35 humidity. But he's been standing in the water bowl, avoiding his little house on top of the heat pad when the heating pad is on, doesn't want to come back when I take him out and put him on our cold marble floor (when he usually wants to go back) and just doing weird shit like pic related. He did pic related for like 20 minutes not moving at all. I feed him regularly with mealworms and shit. Maybe it's stress from moving?
>>
>>2199683
Your thermometer is way high up on the the glass to the point of being totally useless. Put it directly on the floor of the tank. Your under tank heater must be controlled with a thermostat or at least a rheostat as those things get well over 100 degrees at full power.

Recommend you get a digital thermometer with a probe as well. Those analog dials are often inaccurate.
>>
>>2199683

Also that box is no good as a hide. You can use a box but the entrance should be slightly larger than the gecko needs to comfortable crawl inside. The whole point of a hide is a dark, cramped little space for the gecko to snuggle inside of. The way you have it now there's too much light getting in.
>>
For beardie owners in Toronto, where do we go for reptiworms?

I can't find any stores that sell reptiworms and i'm forced to buy online at bulk.
>>
>wake up 90 minutes late from post-work nap
>90 minutes late for gecko mist and food cuo replacement time
>geckos normally don't go for their cgd until several hours after i put it in
>every single gecko is sitting on or near their food dish ledges giving me the 'you're late' look

You silly SILLY little space aliens you.
>>
>>2200070
my uromastyx is always by his foodbowl waiting for me in the morning if I wake up late

he turns his head as if to say "where the fuck is my salad you meme loving fuck"
>>
I just bought Rapeshy gutloading gel / powder but the crickets don't seem to be eating this shit.
>>
>>2200070
>>2200074
>generally feed tort before noon
>go out there at 2pm
>she's sitting in her food dish
>tries to bite my toes when I get in there
well shit
>>
File: 1469943349897.jpg (49KB, 543x960px) Image search: [Google]
1469943349897.jpg
49KB, 543x960px
>>2199683
Jesus christ, what do you have that thing in, a 5 gallon? Like that's seriously the cheapest, ugliest setup I've ever seen for a Leopard gecko. Even breeders with 50 geckos have more decent paper towel enclosures than that. Fuck man, he doesn't even have anywhere to hide. Is that just a stray mealworm pinned to the glass there? Can you not be fucked to go buy some 60-cent-a-piece tiles at the hardware store or even some reptile carpet or something? How could you even afford to buy the lizard to begin with if you don't even have the money to buy a proper hide?

Why even bother gauging the humidity if he doesn't even have a proper humid hide to go into when he's shedding?

As far as the temperature issue is concerned, he's probably trying to freeze himself to death after being stuck in that shitshed you have him trapped in
>>
>>2199434
>>2199548
Any other ideas? Is there something other than small gecko species?
>>
File: download (1).jpg (17KB, 211x239px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
17KB, 211x239px
>put some zebra danios into my african clawed frogs' tank for them to eat (I refuse to use feeders because I'm anal about parasites)
>the school of 5 I bought all get along and do a good job of keeping away from the hungry frogs
>the frogs manage to get 2 of them over night
>between the small school size and the stress of the frogs, the fish now are freaking out and nipping eachothers' fins
>I let them because they will weaken each other and become easier for my frogs to eat

MOM'S GONNA FREAK
>>
>>2200163
>(I refuse to use feeders because I'm anal about parasites)
What makes you think the danios don't have parasites?
>>
File: 1467947541649.jpg (29KB, 400x314px) Image search: [Google]
1467947541649.jpg
29KB, 400x314px
>>2200163
>got 10 zebra danios for my turtle's tank for the same exact reason
>tried and failed to catch them
>2 months later all 10 are still there
>will bolt when the turtle makes any sort of movement, circle around her when sitting still

Okay
>>
>>2200167
I help quarantine and keep an eye on incoming fish at the pet store. The ones I picked were all healthy and active
>>
>>2200110
Interesting. I've never used that stuff. My usual when I was keeping a cricket colony was veg and crested gecko diet (left in powder form). They definitely like the gecko powder.
>>
>>2200158
Small arboreal frogs?
>>
>>2197169
>>2197349
>>2197374

Yes, he's still kickin'. The only lasting effect is one tiny spot on his body that still won't grow scales, but it was the deepest wound on his body.
>>
>>2200179
Do you know any? Only frog i know is pacman
>>
>>2196296
>A male retic in breeding mode can rip your arm open to the bone, a good strike from an adult Burm could break your ribcage and your clavicle, a good full on constriction can break almost every bone in your body.

top notch bullshit, read it in jon voight's voice
>>
>>2200355
Ok.

http://burmjunkies.com/showthread.php?7467-****high-def-extreme-bite-damage-pics-inside-no-kids-no-snacking-while-viewing****
>>
File: green-treefrog5.jpg (65KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
green-treefrog5.jpg
65KB, 600x451px
>>2200188

Most common and cheap small tree frog that would be comfy in your terrarium are green tree frogs. Easy care too. They are about 2-3 inches snout to vent (+legs).
>>
>>2195773

Lemme preface this by saying that I love animals in general and have had many pets, so...

The appeal of reptiles amphibians and arthropods lies in how they're so different from me. Mammals and birds are much more relatable, but looking into the biology and behavior of reptiles amphibians and arthropods is more like peering into an alien world. You can't take anything for granted.

When it comes to them as pets, they require less room, make less mess, make less noise, and can be kept in places that don't allow birds and mammals. I've also suffered far fewer meaningful injuries from any of them than I ever have from dogs and cats, which makes them safer as well. I also have allergies that are especially bad around some mammals.

I live and work in rural Texas and spend lots of times outdoors, so I deal a lot with what people would consider unwanted wildlife. I generally catch and relocate them and try to keep people from needlessly killing them.

People aren't usually so misinformed and eager to kill cats, rabbits, birds, or raccoons as they are when it comes to toads, spiders, and snakes so I end up having to "save" the latter much more than the former, which may make it seem like I show favoritism towards them when the truth is that I just treat them like any other animal.

I also don't have much interest in exotic animals. I have a couple of BP's but those are because my wife's older coworker didn't think he could care for them anymore.
>>
>>2200534

That's certainly a nasty bite, but very well short of "rip your arm open to the bone" or " break your ribcage and your clavicle" nasty.

Most any pet above the size of a toy sized dog could potentially deliver that kind of injury.
>>
>>2199031
>>2199037
>>2199040

It's a Coastal Plains/Gulf Coast Toad.The easiest way to ID them compared to other toads is that prominent black lined ridges on top of their head.

They're very common throughout the spring and summer and especially after big rains. They eat pretty much whatever they can fit into their mouths, but you'll often see them coming out at dusk to eat crickets, beetles, and other insects gathering around street and porch lights. Urbanization hasn't affected them nearly as much as it has other toad species, so their numbers have been steadily growing while others are in decline.

Males have a darker colored throat and make a very distinctive chirping noise, especially when distressed. This picture can't show us either of those traits, unfortunately.

The big pouches on the side of the head secrete a whitish venom that's - while not harmful to dogs- tastes very bad to them and often makes them spit them out.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Anyone in California want some ball pythons, I'm trying to sell them but can just give them away if anyone's willing to pick them up.

It would come with a semi decent enclosure setup

I live in the Sonora area
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Anybody able to ID this frog?
I'm in Westchester County, NY
I keep finding them on this one bush in my yard. It is very tiny; it could easily fit on top of a dime. They just sit on the same leaf all day long. It won't move unless you try touch it.
I'm not sure if I keep seeing the same pair everytime, as I'm only ever able to find two of them at once.
>>
>>2200577
I have seen way worse, that's just the only one with a link to follow. I have yet to see a toy dog do that much damage, maybe a medium-large sized dog, but if you think a chihuahua could do that then you're deluded.

Snakes have enough strength to pop out the eyes of their prey, if you don't think they can break your bones, again, you're deluded. As I stated before, it's not likely, but it does happen, and I have seen several giant keepers come forward with their attacks where bones have been broken.
>>
>>2200597

Gray Treefrog. They can change color.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2200597
Another pic
>>
>>2200602
>I have seen way worse, that's just the only one with a link to follow. I have yet to see a toy dog do that much damage, maybe a medium-large sized dog, but if you think a chihuahua could do that then you're deluded.

Yes. I pointed out that most animals larger than a toy sized dog could potentially deliver such an injury.

>>Snakes have enough strength to pop out the eyes of their prey, if you don't think they can break your bones, again, you're deluded.

As someone who has manhandled a lot of birds, rabbits, large rodents, raccoons, deer, etc no, I'm not deluded in thinking that a snake that can squeeze them hard enough to make a smaller animal's eyes bulge is strong enough to break an adult human's bones with a bite because the physics involved are totally different and making an animal's eyes bulge is not a particularly difficult feat. It's a not uncommon response to stress/being strangled.

>>and I have seen several giant keepers come forward with their attacks where bones have been broken.

And I've never heard of any keepers of large snakes telling me about snake *strikes* breaking their bones. I do know a lot who laugh at these kinds of stories though, because it's exactly the kind of sensationalist snake factoid that people find appealing. Go to google and type in "snake strike breaking bones" and you''ll find people claiming that a rattlesnakes can break your shinbone with a strike.
>>
>>2200621
Yes, but in general snakes are not going to do that to you. I have only ever heard of male retics in breeding mode doing that sort of damage, I've never heard of another species doing the same thing. In general, you're not going to have to worry about that sort of injury from another snake, even a Burm.

I have been bitten by my 3.5' bp and his strike was enough to severely bruise my finger, the whole thing was purple and swollen. If a 3.5' bp can do that much damage, I don't see why a very determined giant who is 10x his size and weight couldn't break a bone in a strike. Again, it doesn't always happen, but it has.

And the sensationalist bullshit is why I'm having a hard time finding the incidents I'm talking about again, otherwise I'd have more than that one link.
>>
>>2200631
>Yes, but in general snakes are not going to do that to you. I have only ever heard of male retics in breeding mode doing that sort of damage, I've never heard of another species doing the same thing. In general, you're not going to have to worry about that sort of injury from another snake, even a Burm.

Yeah but there's like really no documentation of this admittedly rare but interesting thing EVER occurring at all. And the "adult male in breeding mode" is one a good chunk of large snake strikes happen anyway.

>>I have been bitten by my 3.5' bp and his strike was enough to severely bruise my finger, the whole thing was purple and swollen. If a 3.5' bp can do that much damage, I don't see why a very determined giant who is 10x his size and weight couldn't break a bone in a strike. Again, it doesn't always happen, but it has.

And considering how often people get bitten on their hands and arms by 3+ foot snakes, you'd think that the number of accounts of snakes breaking fingers/hands/arms would be much higher where you couldn't brush it off as a freak accident, but an actual indicator of the snake's strength.

You'd think there'd be more accounts than just some threads where people post snake bites that are most certainly NOT on that level.
>>
>>2200665
Most bites from giants don't require stitches at all, they might not be on the level of "I bleed for a few minutes and then it's gone," but it doesn't leave permanent scarring.

Very few people own giants, comparatively, and I've found the giant community to be a rather dead one, so it's not actually surprising to me. I'm not trying to say this is going to happen, I am merely trying to warn people not to underestimate them. They can cause a lot of damage or kill someone, and the amount of people owning giants by themselves is ludicrous.
>>
File: 1472261097359-274203807.jpg (4MB, 3006x5344px) Image search: [Google]
1472261097359-274203807.jpg
4MB, 3006x5344px
The Boss just took another meal. It's been about a month and this is his first medium rat. Literally took this one minute ago!
>>
I currently own 2 leopard geckos that ive had for 20 years, a californian kingsnake for 3 years, and a giant daygecko for soon 1 year. Im already thinking about getting something more, in a year or two, but im now quite sure what to get. Any suggestions? Im looking for something slightly more advanced, or atleast in line with my day gecko (keeping the humidity is a bitch where I live).
>>
>>2200798
Those Leos are olllld. Picture?
>>
>>2200801
I cant take any pics right now, but I might be able to get some later. Their age has started to set in though, like losing eyesight and generally being less active. Also, I got unfortunally got them when I was quite young, so their life hasnt always been the easiest. Im trying to make up for it now though
>>
>>2200804
Like, one of the leos is blind on her right eye, so sometimes I have to handfeed her. She still reacts to movement on her left eye, so she can still catch crickets during night time.
>>
>>2200804
I would say that you are doing quite well, 20 years is definitely on the outside range of their age!
>>
>>2200806
Thanks, I hope I'll be able to keep my other pets for as long as the leos ^^ to be perfectly honest, I think one of the reasons why they have lived for so long is that I've keept their handling to a minimum. Like I only ever hold them when I have to put them in a temporary container while cleaning their terrarium. Reptiles arent really made for handling anyway.
>>
>>2200811
I do the same with mine. I only handle them when they come to me. Sometimes when I open the cage they want to crawl out and all over me.
>>
File: 2016-08-26 17.29.39.jpg (3MB, 3006x5344px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-26 17.29.39.jpg
3MB, 3006x5344px
Got a new ball python today, little guy is pretty cute
>>
File: australian.cheerios.webm (710KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
australian.cheerios.webm
710KB, 480x480px
>>2200887
berry qute
>>
>>2200604
This would make an amazing desktop background if touched up a tad. Should post on /wg/ would save.
>>
>>2200798
Im still wondering if you guys have any suggestions? ^^
>>
>>2201037
Savannah monitor is what I want next if I can find the room to house it, prob won't be for another year or so
>>
>>2201037
>>2201054
I agree, a monitor would be neat
>>
>>2201085
Monitors need a large amount of space though.
>>
File: 1436863689678.png (55KB, 681x407px) Image search: [Google]
1436863689678.png
55KB, 681x407px
>>2199508
Update: I come in every morning and she puffs. I pick her up and she stops puffing and has a look about. Later when I come back she doesnt puff. She has another run around and then falls asleep on me. The cycle repeats.
>>
>>2201095
you said to you wanted something involved
>>
>>2201254
I'm not the original poster; Just sayuing monitors need a ton of space compared to many others. There are more 'challenging' herps without having such huge space requirements.
>>
>>2201254
>>2201290
Op here again. A monitor you say? It does sound interesting. And you are right, they do require a large amount of space. Fortunally, I dont know how my living condition will look like in a year or two, so I can speculate all I want!

So, lets say I get a monitor. Which one? I have very little knowledge of them, so im all ears.
And yeah, thanks for the tips!
>>
>>2201290
Im also upp for any other more "challenging" herps, feel free to give suggestions! I truly appreciate it!
>>
File: Cassiterite.jpg (1MB, 2756x2841px) Image search: [Google]
Cassiterite.jpg
1MB, 2756x2841px
Instead of making a separate thread I thought I'd ask here first: Do you guys know of any good (active) tumblr "blogs" that just post images of different reptiles and amphibians?

I've only found two and they aren't that special, it would be great if you guys had recommended ones

http://coldboob.tumblr.com/
http://allaboutreptiles.tumblr.com/

I don't really know much about reptiles (i've only taken care of my brothers bearded dragon for a week, and it's kind of baby mode caretaking) but I really enjoy looking at pictures of them and doing research after seeing ones that I find intriguing. Any help would be appreciated
>>
File: 234652435.jpg (81KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
234652435.jpg
81KB, 500x375px
>>2201607
I should specify I enjoy seeing them in more "natural" environments instead of shit like pic related
>>
>>2201525
I hear white throughted monitors are pretty tame and chill for a monitor
>>
>>2200796
Would probably advise stepping down a size, unless you're trying to get him to gain weight? Most ball pythons can be kept on small rats for life, I wouldn't offer a ball python under 2,000 grams a single medium rat, and wouldn't feed them as a staple to one under 3,000-4,000 grams otherwise it would be overfeeding. I see plenty of breeders successfully breeding their females on just small rats every other week, maybe weekly when building follicles, so smalls are more than plenty.

>>2201609
Due to the nature of Tumblr, most of them are going to be pet blogs, most of the natural blogs I know of have shut down.
>>
How long could I reasonably expect to keep a ball python in a 10-gallon tank?
>>
>>2201878
not very
if you're following the length rule of thumb, after it passes about 2 feet in length you're pushing it

is this an emergency? is someone dumping one on you? if not, you should just wait until you can get a 40 breeder
>>
>>2201882
no, I just happen to have a 10-gallon tank from my first snake, a baby corn that, in hindsight, was too young to be sold and wasn't eating in the store.
By their records, it hadn't eaten anything the entire time it'd been in their store, and I couldn't get it to eat while I had it. Ended up dying.
Serves me right for buying from petsmart, though. If and when I try again, I'm going to a breeder and getting a snake that's actually eaten sometime in the last month.

I'm just pretty broke right now and wanted to see if it was feasible to reuse the tank, or if I'd be better served getting something larger beforehand.
>>
>>2201887
yeah i'd give a 10 gallon about 6 months tops if you got a really young one

It would be less stressful for all parties involved if you waited until you have the money to set up a big tank with all the fixins

alternatively you could use the ten you have if you opted for a much smaller snake like a hognose or a sand boa
>>
>>2201891
Think I'll just try to save up til I can afford a decent setup in a larger tank, then, and probably turn my 10-gallon into an aquarium.
I'm pretty set on a ball python, partly because I want something a bit bigger and pretty docile and it sounds like balls are pretty damn chill, partly because I want to get something that's big enough when young that I don't have to try cutting pinkies in half again.
>>
>>2201887
I wouldn't even give a 10 gallon 6 months, maybe 3 or 4. I wouldn't be ready to use that 10 gallon tank for anything right now, though. A sick snake died in it.

Plus, tanks aren't really good for ball pythons, it makes it difficult to maintain proper temps and humidity. A tub is way cheaper than a tank, and easier to work with. It may not "look as good" but it's easier on you as the keeper, and you can still see into a clear tub very easily.
>>
>>2195547
Hey guys I'm back. I went through a drug issue in the spring, but I've been sober for 5 months now. I'm continuing my course work at college (somehow my personal life worst semester was my best semester at school 3.7GPA).

My kingsnake is getting very big! I'll post photos in a minute once I properly fix the tilt from taking on iPhone. He's a brooks King. About a year and some change. I've got him on hoppers now. I used to participate a lot in these threads, I doubt anyone remembers me though.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2202259
Inb4 I fuck the photo rotate up
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2202270
Big boy has grown a lot
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2202273
This is the lightning bolt right about his poo hole. I think it's really neat. He's in a 10gallon right now, I'm gonna make a move to a 20L when the dollar per gallon sale happens
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2202275
Last photo of my tube dude
>>
Yo, do you guys have any ideas for a small herp to keep in a ex-leo cage, thats not a leo?
>>
>>2202430
20g long tank?

>African fat tail gecko
>pictus gecko
>steppe runner
>kenyan sand boa
>rosy boa
>pacman frog
>bunch of firebelly toads or dart frogs
>salamander

Lots of choices.
>>
>>2202439
Yeah thats sounds about the correct size, only its made of wood, so any high humidity herps are out. Thanks for the tips though bro
>>
>>2202451

Oh okay. Steppe runner, sand boa, and rosy boa are all low humidity. AFT and pictus need 50% baseline with a mist once a day.
>>
>>2202466
Thanks a lot, im checking out the steppe runner, looks kinda neat. You will forever be based anon
>>
>>2202248
>A tub
like, just a plastic storage tub?
>>
do snakes show affection?
>>
>>2202517
Reptiles lack that part of the brain, atleast smaller ones. It doesn't stop owners from imparting things like that onto their animals.
>>
>>2202508

Yes. The Sterilite ones are good because they're clear but any will do so long as the lid has latches (and you add a couple extra clips on top of that just for extra escape artist security). You can put under tank heaters on them without issue. UTHs don't get hot enough to melt plastic.
>>
>>2202520
then what stops them from eating them?
>>
>>2202525
What do you mean?
What stops a snake from eating their owner? Nature. They know not to try to eat something 3 times their size
>>
>>2202535
>They know not to try to eat something 3 times their size
isn't that what snakes are better at?
>>
>>2202536
I can promise you a snake, within reason, does not strike humans because it knows not to eat huge things. I'm probably not explaining this properly because I'm sick, but snakes do not have the capacity for emotions.
>>
>>2202538
Yes the only reason a snake will bite a person is for defensive purposes. It wouldn't be a feeding bite, not to eat you whole anyway. Which isn't to say they won't do dumb stuff like try to swallow your fingers. Some snakes will try that, realize it isn't working as intended, eventually release.
>>
>>2202553
Yep. Maybe the only emotion they know is something like fear or insecurity though
>>
Anybody here own a Razorback Musk turtle, and if so anything I should know on how to raise it?
>>
>>2202538
Explain OP's picture then.
Not saying they are affectionate persay, but they have a sense of "you're okay, I won't go out of my way to hurt you".
>>
>>2202571
Instinct
>>
>>2202571
Snakes only eat when they're hungry and they only bite when they're threatened.
>>
>>2202582
Not everything is a ball python. Retics will eat pretty much at any given opportunity, even if they are very well fed and even if they have already had a decent sized meal recently.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3664x2748px
I want to build an open air enclosure like pic related but I'm too retarded to figure out a better design and drainage system off this pic alone.

Any ideas?
>>
>>2202638
I don't see the point of that. You can't properly manage humidity and if the chameleon falls down it could hurt itself and then get lost/be unable to get back up
>>
>>2202508
Yup, drill some ventilation holes, stick some heat tape on the bottom, and it's mostly good to go. Some do require additional security, but I've never had a snake escape a tub if I latched it (and those numbers only come to 2 in the ~4 years I've been using tubs).

My only complaints about them are they open from the top and pretty much require belly heat. I use them as grow-out tubs until they fit comfortably in a 4'x2' with ambient heat.
>>
>>2202685
>>2202524
Do snakes really get bothered by having all four sides transparent, like some people say?
If I got a clear one, could I just rattle can three of the sides and be fine, or is that not even necessary?
I have nothing else that'd need a cage/tank, so it'd be a little weird to just have a tub like sitting on an end table in my room
>>
>>2202696
Yeah, snake will be more comfortable if only one side is transparent. I attach foamcore board to three sides for the heat retention. You can go much fancier with a permanent adult enclosure, such as a PVC terrarium. The tubs just work great for juveniles as they grow. Still work fine for adults (size depending) but yes they aren't the nicest looking things.
>>
>>2202270

Of course I remember this little guy. He's looking fab!
>>
>>2202696
Some are yes, but depends on the species and individual. Ball pythons are really shy, though, so it wouldn't hurt to add some security, but I wouldn't really consider using a tub that isn't clear. They still need light for day/night cycles and keeping them in the dark all the time could cause problems. Cutting lookout holes would just cause more security problems, too, although would provide some light.
>>
>>2200796
Good to see him doing well
>>
>>2202643

The guy build this one said his dont leave, and im assuming denser foiliage would keep humidity within proper levels. My cham is already in a free range enclosure with 2 1/2 sides and has never left.

I want to build this but have it astetically pleasing while a drainage system is also in place.
>>
>>2203163
its not about leaving
its about your cham falling off, breaking his spine, and dying
>>
How can I know if my leopard gecko is dehydrated? He never drinks from his bowl.
>>
>>2203578
Simply provide water on the cold side of the tank. They mostly get their hydration from the insects, if you gutload them (during summer, I simply use grapes or anything from my garden), there shouldn't be a problem.
>>
Anyone have axolotl?
Post your axolotl and tell me if I should get one
>>
File: smug uromastyx.jpg (61KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
smug uromastyx.jpg
61KB, 500x400px
Im planning on getting a uromastyx.
Any tips from other uromastyx owners?
>>
>>2203578
provide a moist hide at all times. They'll drink the water droplets.
>>
>>2203810
get a big dome to put the heat bulb in the bulb is huge and gets super hot. also buy as big a tank as you can and get some nice hides and find a grocery store that sells nice veggies like escarole, bok choi, and endives.

basically uros are a big initial investment but upkeep is very minimal just make them a salad every day they don't even need water. and yes they are very smug
>>
>>2203905

Yep. The tank size is needed because of the heat gradient required. It gets tricky to have the cool side cool enough when the hot side is in uromastyx comfy territory.
>>
>>2203926
*it's tricky if tank is small, i meant to say.
>>
>>2202554
If they fear you they'll get deffensive.
If they don't fear you (usually well treaten CB animals), you're part of the environment, something to climb and maybe a heat source.

It's basically that. I don't know if they can identify you as safe by smell or they just are relaxed by nature, they "decide" it every time or used to humans.
>>
>>2204166

Yes that's consistent with my experience. It's easy to forget that reptiles don't necessarily recognize you by sight alone. Like when tank is still shut and i come up to it without talking (they can recognize voice i think) or making noise, sometimes they run away like they've never seen me before. Then once i open tank and they can smell me, all is well.
>>
>>2204171
No, they can't recognize voice. Maybe they barely hear the noise of your voice, but nothing else. If they "see" you coming is either by smell or heat sensors. Also remember that snakes don't like to be seen and even less want to be seen moving. So it's usual that if something comes closer they rapidly go to hide.
>>
File: 20160807_202652.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160807_202652.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>2202638
That's fucking retarted m8
My chameleon Darwin would climb off that in a heartbeat
If you want "open air" get a full mesh/screen cage for a chemeleon and most others.
>>
>>2204699
Don't get me all wrong, having something like that to let an animal explore on would be cool, but never as a home.
Most on my Chameleons would find there way right off it though.
>>
Hey guys, currently I own an axolotl and an African bullfrog. Recently, I've been considering buying some type of lizard. I really enjoy taking care of my animals, but I've had some people tell me I already have enough. Is it normal to keep multiple herps?
>>
>>2204923
those people are stupid and wrong
do you have the space?
can you adequately take care of it?
then get another!
>>
>>2204923
Space and funds are the only things to take into mind. Otherwise, go nuts.

Same pretty much goes for people with multiple aquariums or just multiple pets in general. Nothing wrong with it unless you end up building a fucking zoo, then it just means you're crazy and have a lot of money to burn
>>
As a Frog/Toad guy, I have quite a few hoppers I take care of. I have 3 African Bullfrogs. I want a Goliath Frog so fucking bad, but that's not going to happen unless I start my own exhibit.

What do you guys feed your frogs with? I tend to use crickets, but really they'll eat anything.
>>
I'm really starting to hate fed ex.
First they lose my carpet python for 24 hours earlier this year. Now my frozen rodents are missing and were supposed to be here 4 hours ago and according to the representative everything was fine the truckdriver was just running late and was then supposed to be here an hour ago. Now its saying they will be here tomorrow. I'm just trying to feed my tube dudes since I lost damn near $200 worth of rats/mice in the fucking flooding down here in louisiana.
>>
>>2205015
Hey you aren't me! I say tube dudes. I'm at LSU right now
>>
>>2205015
I feel you
Barely missed the flooding
>>
>>2204923
> Is it normal to keep multiple herps?

What's not normal is keeping just one
>>
Woke up this morning to find my ball python missing

Im concerned that he's gone, but how the fuck did he get out?
>>
Invert keeper here. I've been mildly interested in herps for a while, but because of space limitations would like to keep something very small/insectivorous. Also beginner-friendly, of course.

Considered Opheodrys aestivus but I'm not certain it's that easy to keep healthy. Any other possible snakes? Any little lizard recommendations? Many thanks in advance.
>>
>>2205366
There are many cool small geckos you can keep. Things like viper geckos for example. Here you can learn more http://www.dwarfgeckos.com/
>>
File: 1443896287793.jpg (380KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
1443896287793.jpg
380KB, 1000x666px
>>2205366
day gecko
>>
>>2205347
Thanj god I found him. Was behind some boxes curled up and sleeping
Now I gotta see how he got out
>>
>>2205372
>>2205384
Thanks anons! Having a good time reading about some of these beauties. I'll consider it when I've learnt a bit more.
>>
>>2205366
anoles geckos certain frog/toad species axolotls if you can keep the temps down for it
>>
got my corn snake bby in today and fucked up.
>magnetic lock because the store was out of normal ones
>think eh itll do until they get normal locks in
>glue on back of magnet lock doesnt work
>use double sided tape to glue it to the inside of the tank
>glue it high up so the snake hopefully ignores it
>magnet lock has sharp edges, wouldnt want my baby getting hurt
>leave room for a bit
>come back
>snake somehow climbed up the terra wall
>got stuck on the tape
>got head stuck underneath the elastic magnet lock part so i cant open the terrarium
>takes 15 minutes stressful operation to free her
>remove lock forever
>stick balled up tissues between the terrarium sliding door walls to keep them stuck in place
>also so the tiny snake wont slide in between the sliding doors. shes so damn tiny
>turn off light. its bed time bitch today was stressful enough
im gonna go get a normal lock right when the stores open tomorrow morning, what can i do to keep my baby safe until then? i really dont think she can open the doors right now but im also scared i might be forgetting something. wish i could cheer her up, she didnt get hurt as far as i could see (didnt wanna stress her with a long examination) but this was a terrible experience for her. tomorrow would be her first feeding day but im thinking abt delaying it a day to give her some space
>>
>>2205506

Stuffing paper or tissue in the gap between sliding doors should be sufficient until you can buy a proper lock. Baby corns are very adept climbers and wigglers as you have no doubt noticed but they aren't strong. She won't be able to nose the doors open.

Give it a few days before feeding. It won't hurt her in any way and will give her time to relax and settle. Few days of calm and quiet and she will be ready to eat for sure.
>>
>>2205389

Most likely pushed open the screen top from below. Or if you have a gap somewhere for your temperature probe wire that's also a possibility. Rule of thumb is if they can get their head through they can get the whole body through too.
>>
>>2205688
maybe for a corn, but I watched my bp get her fat ass stuck in her big fake climby rock and had to back out of it
>>
File: image.jpg (302KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
302KB, 1280x960px
This is how I hold my uromastyx

If I don't bury his face in my shirt he freaks out and tries to get away but if u do this he's chill is this normal?

I don't mind it I just think he's very shy I only take him out like twice a week
>>
>>2195547
posted this in QTDDTOT

If I have to sleep with my windows open all year around (during New England winters) can I even own a reptile or any other caged creature? What if I don't keep it in the same room as I sleep? I usually keep the room temp at 63-65.
>>
>>2205999
Sure. You just need to use more electricity to heat the tank. My apartment gets that cold in winter. It is necessary to use two heat sources in this case sometimes; one undertank heater and one ceramic emitter or lamp to bump up the ambient temp. That depends on species though.

Or you could go for something that likes cool temperatures like an axolotl.
>>
>>2205939
Just takes time for them to feel comfortable outside their tanks. And also keep in mind it's a pretty big temperature difference between inside and outside tank for a uro in regular room temp room.
>>
>>2205688
Thanks anon. Still have no idea how he got out though. I think I must have locked his terrarium wrong
>>
File: image.jpg (431KB, 1089x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
431KB, 1089x1936px
My new gecko on the right
>>
>>2205999
aside from what that another anon said, yes you can just keep them in another room, assuming you have one to spare or to keep the windows closed in at least
>>
>>2205680
She's looking really thin right now so I'm gonna try to feed her later today, if she doesn't take it I won't force her and give her the weekend to settle in properly. I hope she'll grow up soon so she won't fit into the sliding door space anymore.

>>2206049
Beautiful!
>>
File: CrQazgVXEAAtVc3.jpg (34KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
CrQazgVXEAAtVc3.jpg
34KB, 720x960px
>>2206187
Here's a picture of the corny in question. Her red spots already got a lot darker since I first saw her a month ago, is it possible to tell how she will look as an adult?
>>
>>2206189

Yes. If you know the morph of your snek you can type in that + corn snake + adult in to google and see some pictures. From your picture I can say that the white bits will take on a yellowish tinge over time and the red will get a bit darker.
>>
>>2206516
*that should say darker and also more of a orange than a red.
>>
What's a good starter lizard/gecko/salamander that is neither crested or the fancy one that everyone has?
This wouldnt be my first rep either, ive just never kept a lizard before
>>
>>2206606
Mourning geckos are neat and easy to care for.
>>
File: WP_20160611_02_43_12_Pro.jpg (3MB, 4208x2368px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160611_02_43_12_Pro.jpg
3MB, 4208x2368px
>>2206606
Leopard Gecko
>>
Thinking about getting a beardie because they are babby's first lizard.

I have cats though, and one is a little murder machine. How much do I need to worry about her making it her life mission to eat my potential beardie?
>>
>>2206632
I have pet rats and my kittens learned to ignore them eventually. Beardies are very still and probably not too interesting to a kitty.
>>
File: fucking retardedex.png (36KB, 688x522px) Image search: [Google]
fucking retardedex.png
36KB, 688x522px
>>2205015
I have called fed ex 3 fucking times now and they have failed to get my snek food to me, I even gave provided a fairly long description of my residence, even mentioning that my address is about 250 yards down the road from where the gps will tell you since it says I live in the middle of a field on a neighbors property.

Fuck this shit
>>
File: jesus christ.jpg (63KB, 450x299px) Image search: [Google]
jesus christ.jpg
63KB, 450x299px
Seriously?
>>
>>2206661
I think your first mistake was ordering food during the Louisiana flooding. How long have the snakes gone without food?

Your choices at this point are: withhold food until the flooding is gone and shipping returns to normal OR

Find a nearby pet store to hold them over.

SYR is cancelling all insurance during the flooding, so seems kinda tempting fate for you to keep ordering food tbqh.
>>
>>2206661
>I even gave provided a fairly long description of my residence, even mentioning that my address is about 250 yards down the road from where the gps will tell you since it says I live in the middle of a field on a neighbors property.
>Fuck this shit
put a post with your address on it out on the side of the road.
>>
>have angry noodle
>try to open cage to give water
>lunges at me, hits glass wall
>need to clean her tank
>have no hook

Wat do?

More seriously:

How the fuck do I end the cycle of her being too aggressive to remove for feedings?
>>
>>2206780
get a hook
also she's probably learned to strike at this point because it get you to leave her alone
get some gloves and just let her go at it, dont flinch, dont pull away
>>
File: lepidodactylus_lugubris_may.jpg (113KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
lepidodactylus_lugubris_may.jpg
113KB, 800x600px
>>2206609
These look neat
>>2206612
This was the one I was talking about. I hate these
>>
>>2206783

Any glove suggestions? I know she won't be able to actually get to skin, but it never hurts to use what's best.

All I have at the ready are latex gloves and some rose bush ones.
>>
>>2206789
those rose bush gloves are more than enough
>>
I got a freed up 10 gallon tank, what reptiles or amphibians can I actually keep in one before I decide to buy like a half dozen hissing cockroaches
>>
>>2206516
Aw that's a shame, she was so pretty and pink after birth too... But I'm sure she will still be pretty as an adult. I sadly don't know her morph, wish I did.
>>
>>2206744
I went and bought some frozen mice from petsmart yesterday its just annoying that this shit has gone down and the flooding is done with some people in my neighborhood have even started replacing drywall and moved back in
>>2206746
There is one its just in the middle of fucking walker louisiana where no one can drive or read
>>
>>2195547
Today I learned to not give 3 fucks.
>>
File: IMG_20160824_224241.jpg (3MB, 3386x2988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160824_224241.jpg
3MB, 3386x2988px
>>2206786
>he hates leopard geckos
Leave
>>
File: 324767695.jpg (14KB, 518x284px) Image search: [Google]
324767695.jpg
14KB, 518x284px
>>2206786
>hating leos
>>
>>2202571
>but they have a sense of "you're okay, I won't go out of my way to hurt you".
Why would an animal go out of it's way to hurt someone?

The only time any animal would normally do that is if it either thought the person was prey/food or if it felt threatened by the person.

The person in OP's pic is far too big for the snakes to be able to swallow, and they aren't threatening the snakes, so the snakes just don't care and are either ignoring them or staying close to them for heat.
>>
>>2207285
Thats the point. They don't feel threatened where they otherwise would.
If you went up to a wild retic of that size it'd bite the shit out of you even if you acted calmly and just like they did there.
>>
>>2207081
>walker Louisiana
>I'm at LSU
>but from New Orleans

I don't know how you do it anon. Do you just work at a chemical plant?
>>
>>2206744
The flood isn't that bad senpai. I'm at LSU and I've gotten 3 Amazon shipments and 2 Chegg shipments.
>>
>>2207302
Perhaps, and if so it would be a matter of territoriality. Meaning you have encroached on snek's turf. The sneks in OP pic are almost certainly captive bred and handled by humans at least a couple times a week since they were babies so they are accustomed to people. Also, in pic they are outside of their usual enclosures and so territory is not at issue. Also also, those are reticulated pythons, a species well known for being very chill anyway. If you were to snuggle up to a mother python in her tank while she's incubating her eggs that would be a different story.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160903-184044.png (3MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160903-184044.png
3MB, 1080x1920px
Took this pic today, Podarcis hispanicus
>>
>>2207371
I love lizards with colorful tails like that
sadly it usually means they'll drop them without a moments hesitation
>>
>>2201607
http://pocketcroc.tumblr.com/ (mostly crocodilians)
http://snakeoftheday.tumblr.com/
http://cocosnoodle.tumblr.com/ (mostly ball pythons)
http://sabletsnakes.tumblr.com/
http://scalestails.tumblr.com/ (lots of amphibians and fish, has reptiles too)

The rest I know of are basically pet blogs, hope these are of your liking
>>
What kind of thermostat do you guys use?
I need one for humidity and temp
Looking at the herpstats currently, but im open to suggestions
>>
>>2207463

I just use the cheaper Hydrofarm/JumpStart ones. Have been for a few years now with no problems.
>>
File: image.jpg (120KB, 1242x1087px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120KB, 1242x1087px
Can someone identify this guy for me? I'm sure it's some kind of common lizard. They are always scurrying around my house and dart underneat the foundation when you get near. One found its way inside today
>>
File: 1.png (619KB, 923x504px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
619KB, 923x504px
If the black mamba is very venomous, why its eyes are not in form of slits like most highly venomous snakes?
>>
>>2206821
Leopard geckos, anoles, baby iguana, baby bearded dragon, shits endless man
>>
>>2207618

That diagram is only a rough boy scout's half-assed guide to snake ID for North America only. And it isn't even 100% accurate in North America.
>>
>>2207642
That's because nobody identifies coral snakes by their fucking eyes.
>>
>>2207463
Herpstat, Vivarium Electronics, and Hydrofarm. I prefer the Herpstat.
>>
>>2207640
ok well ideally it would have to serve as a "forever home" because I aint got the space for another 50
>>
>>2207668
10g you can do fire belly toads, dart frogs, bumblebee toads, pictus geckos, steppe runners, tarantulas.
>>
>>2207676
I always forget about steppe runners, but they're really cool. Kind of like tiny tegus

Anyone know of any good online breeders for them?
>>
Anyone know where i can find some list of breeders per state?
I know that getting a herp shipped is usually safe, but holy shit overnight shipping costs so much, especially when im looking to buy a 20-30 dollar lizard.
>>
>>2207371
Where are you from m8?

Never seen one with that colorful tail
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Got my first snake
>>
File: my new friend.jpg (60KB, 640x430px) Image search: [Google]
my new friend.jpg
60KB, 640x430px
Just brought my new little ball python home from the store, already in love with him
>>
>>2208158
Haha, do u have any other snakes? I got >>2208145
And a ball python and the ball is def more chill
>>
File: karma.jpg (359KB, 1540x822px) Image search: [Google]
karma.jpg
359KB, 1540x822px
>>2208159
My roommate has a ball python as well, he just put her in a new tank today. She's loving it lol. Pic related

As for me, this is my first snake. He's hiding inside a box in his tank, so no pictures today. Is 7 days the norm for a new snake to get used to it's surroundings?
>>
>>2208165
I think so, do you use any heat lamps? It seems like the eating pad I got doesn't get that hot
>>
>>2208166
I found my heating pad to be a little lackluster myself, so I also use a CHE in conjunction with it
>>
>>2208187
What's a Che?
>>
>>2208191
ceramic heat emitter
it produces heat but no light, excellent for nocturnal critters
>>
File: 20160904_112612.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160904_112612.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Hey /herp/,

I got a leopard gecko about two weeks ago; she's my first reptile.

It took her a few days to start eating but other than that there've been no problems until a few days ago, when this mysterious orange powder started showing up in her tank every morning. It seems to mostly be in her food dish; I thought maybe the food dish was the problem but when I cleaned the tank and replaced the food dish with a new one the orange stuff was still back the next morning. It's also on the bottoms of her feet but it's hard to tell if that's where it came from or if it's just the result of her walking in it.

Pic related it's the orange stuff.
>>
File: 20160904_112600.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160904_112600.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>2208249
It's also appearing in the water dish, which I rinse out and replace every day. She's been behaving normally so it doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with her.
>>
File: 20160904_112617.jpg (1MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20160904_112617.jpg
1MB, 1836x3264px
>>2208249
>>2208251
My boyfriend thinks she might be scraping herself on this hide and that the orange stuff is dried blood. It seems like there'd be more of it on the hide if that were the case but I've removed it and replaced it with a temporary tissue box hide just in case.
>>
File: ergonomic_small_pet_water_bowl.jpg (45KB, 799x454px) Image search: [Google]
ergonomic_small_pet_water_bowl.jpg
45KB, 799x454px
>>2208249

Huh... I dunno. Pretty sure that isn't blood. Blood is a dark red, almost black when it's dry. It is possible that is dust from whatever your pyramid thing is made of.

One tip though; your mealworms can climb out of that plastic lid. Recommend a smooth sided glass or glazed ceramic bowl for the mealies. Pic related can be found in the small animal (rodents and rabbits) aisle of any pet store. They work fantastic for any worm.

The spaghnum moss should only be in a contained moist hide, tupperware container with small entrance hole cut in the side.
>>
>>2208249
>>2208251
it almost looks like rust to me, but i have no idea where it would be coming from
>>
>>2208166
I actually bought the tank started kit. came with a heating pad and a light.

Got the heating pad under one side, should i turn the light on as well?
>>
>>2208165
Yeah, at least 7 days. Took my garter 2-3 weeks to eat his first meal, but most of my snakes have taken their meal when offered, which I give 6-7 days.

As long as the snake takes it's meal when you offer it, it's ok to start handling. If it refuses, give it 2-3 meals in a row before you begin handling. Any feeding problems should warrant immediate cessation of all but necessary handling (weight, cage cleaning, etc.).
>>
>>2208249
Was she being kept on that color sand before you got her?
>>
File: sneks for ants.jpg (21KB, 319x179px) Image search: [Google]
sneks for ants.jpg
21KB, 319x179px
>>2208446
Well i went and bought a digital thermostat for the warm side of his tank.

I moved the box he's hiding in over to the cool side, as it was in the middle of the tank before. Poked his head out a couple times, but thats about it.

Sorry bout the pic, no idea why it came out so small, but you get the idea
>>
>>2207907
Spain, this pic was taken in Sierra de Guadarrama, Madrid.

Though I live in the Balearic islands where podarcis have adapted to isolation and Podarcis lilfordi and Podarcis pityusensis have a great number of subspecies
>>
>>2209002
Reading a bit about the species now, I learned that they lose their tail coloration as they age. Such a shame.
>>
>>2208279
Yeah, thanks. The bowl I had before was better at keeping worms in, the one in the pic was just temporary. I'll be sure to fix the moss situation though.

>>2208300
Yeah I dunno, there's nothing metal in her tank.

>>2208467
Nope, she wasn't kept on sand.
>>
File: image.png (737KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
737KB, 500x667px
Hey /Herp/ I had a question. Should I still give cuttlebone to our box turtle? Most of stuff I've seen online shows only water turtles being given cuttlebone but I wasn't too sure.

Pic related is our box turtle ezzy
>>
File: HQkPyvc.jpg (1008KB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
HQkPyvc.jpg
1008KB, 5312x2988px
well i figured out what im putting in my 10gallon
dogs got a hold of a little garter snake today
I've taken it in so it can heal
>>
File: V3jh6Xm.jpg (879KB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
V3jh6Xm.jpg
879KB, 5312x2988px
>>2209206
ornery little fucker tagged me on the hand and broke the skin a little
went after my face more than a couple times too
>>
>>2209206
>>2209208
put it back
wild snakes tend to do pretty bad in captivity from everything from temperment to refusing food or stressing themselves to death
>>
>>2209236
oh I am, I dont plan on keeping him for very long
gonna see how he does overnight to make sure he's not hurt too badly
then he'll go right back into the barn when there's less of a commotion going on.
>>
>>2209175

Yes you can. I'm not familiar with box turtles but do know it's common to provide cuttlebone to tortoises for chewing and extra calcium.
>>
Anyone in these threads own frog-eyed geckos and can share pics/information?
They're pretty neat looking and different from the leos you see everywhere
>>
>>2206791

Got her out just fine today. Used a gloved hand to keep her attention and just scooped her out as normal .

She mellowed out quick once she realized I was holding her (I assume). Tank's clean and all is well in her universe.
>>
File: fatass.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
fatass.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
so, my corn (due to a long mating season, with a shed at both ends of it) didn't eat for quite some time, and lost a little bit of weight because of it.
he's been eating again normally, better than usual actually. instead of nosing at the mouse (frozen) he's right on the things, but now he seems to be shedding WAY more often than he normally does, even compared to his normal yearly fast he does during mating season.

is this any concern? the first one was a fine normal shed, the second was quite shortly after it, but it was clearly because he put on weight. im only asking now, because after cleaning his water, and refilling it, i noticed him rubbing his head on stuff AGAIN. the shed before, and the two after have all been good, other than a bit i have to clean from his nose occasionally, but im just concerned with the much higher rate than normal

this is his fatass in a blanket he likes
>>
>>2209674
thats good
most of the time they calm right down once they're out

I would suggest you get a hook though and start hook training her.
Which, in case you didn't know, you just want to start by lightly tapping or stroking her with the hook whenever you want to take her out, eventually she'll get the picture and you wont have to deal striking when trying to take her out
>>
>>2209243
garter bro has been released back into my barn to eat mice happily ever after

its funny, he got real squirmy once, he figured out he was back in the barn. I guess he could smell/taste the familiarity
>>
>>2209677

As long as the sheds are coming off smoothly that shouldn't be a problem. You could double check the weight of the mice you're feeding to make sure they're correct size but otherwise sounds just fine.

>>2210276

Excellent! Yeah i beat he smelled his home territory and got excited.
>>
File: image.gif (495KB, 250x140px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
495KB, 250x140px
>>2195547
>be away from /an/ for a while
>open catalog
>see snek futon
>>
I kinda want to move my bp into a tub, so that way it holds humidity better. It would also free up my 50gal for a beardie or something but thats just bonus

any recommendations for good tubs that I can use for what will eventually be a full grown ball python?
>>
>>2210283
you're probably right, i guess im just being paranoid.
the only mouse that was noticeably bigger was his first one after mating season
i just figure he's too old to be shedding like this or something, he's full grown by a long shot
>>
File: image.jpg (83KB, 640x626px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83KB, 640x626px
I have no interest in keeping a pet snake, but I do love finding wild ones. I don't rally have the resources or motivation to go out trekking for them, though. I just go looking through my backyard. Found a couple Eastern Ringnecks and Black Racers.
Is there anyway to attract more. Was thinking about setting up a piece of plywood for artificial covor.
>>
>>2209208
Fucking faggot. Put it back
>>
NEW THREAD TIME

>>2210926

>>2210926

>>2210926

>>2210926

>>2210926
>>
>>2210276
Very few garters eat rodents in the wild. It's probably eating earthworms, slugs, and frogs/toads around your home. Fish if there's any.
>>
>>2199031
Where in Louisana you at? I'm also in the state.
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 66

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.