[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What puppy to get?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

File: doberman-puppies-11.jpg (58KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
doberman-puppies-11.jpg
58KB, 600x600px
Long story short
>broke up with gf of 2 plus years
>want to get a pup
>this will be my first pup that is totally mine and I can train and raise from the ground up
I plan to socialize him as much as possible, walk him daily, and take him camping as much as possible.
I need a dog that is friendly, loyal (takes orders well), will act as a guard or alert dog in case of break in or if me or my mom is being attacked.
I live in a hot climate in the summer.
I'll be at school and work most of the time during the week, so he'll need to be able to be alone for parts of the day.
What dog would you guys recommend?
I've been thinking about a doberman, german shepard, or some type of heeler.
>no bullies please
Could you guys also recommend some books or information on picking out, raising, and training a pupper?
Thanks
>>
What's your experience with dogs so far?
>>
>>2195280
>I'll be at school and work most of the time during the week

So think about the dog more than yourself and don't get one.

Dogs are social creatures, and leaving them alone for 8 plus hours a day is just plain cruel.
>>
>broke up with gf of 2 plus years
>want to get a pup
what, do you plan to fuck it?
>>
>>2195280
>I'll be at school and work most of the time during the week, so he'll need to be able to be alone for parts of the day.
Then get a reptile, or fish, or something else that doesn't care about you
>>
You shouldn't look for a working dog like a German Shepard, a Doberman or a Heeler unless you have are prepared to give it a LOT of exercise. It needs several miles worth of movement every day or it will get bored and tear up your place. A mile long walk each day will not cut it. They need a job to do and a wide area to do it.
>>
Most dogs are fairly protective if they sense that their families are in danger. Also the most important safety factor your dog will give you is that it will be a major deterrent to bad guys. No one wants deal with a dog so they will leave you be. also If this is your first dog, look in dogs that are easier to train.
You should arrange to come home for lunch to hang out with your dog or have someone hang out with him for you. 8 hours is a long time to be alone for a dog but four hours is doable if you give your dog a LOT of excuse in the morning.
>>
>>2195280
get a toy breed or possibly a retired greyhound
>>
>>2195321
this , if you own dogs your entire life you wouldnt worry about what breed to get.
>>2195420
dont believe this cuck. it all depends on what line youre planning to get (work or show , german or etc)
>>2195459
dont believe this one either, my neighbor has 2 goldies and a lab pup but got robbed twice in like a year and a half. most robbers aint afraid of a dog that isnt actually scary.

most dogs in the working group have great protective instincts because they are more intelligent. this also means they are much more stubborn . if you choose a breed read all about it. what they were bred for , how they changed , dominant features , etc. for breeds i recommend doberman, rottweiler ,beauceron , gsd , and boxer. a heeler is a horrendous choice because they have very bad habits that must be corrected with a firm hand. chances are if you work and are a student a dog isnt right for you at all. the way it sounds is that you live with your mother. your mother will get more of the responsibility. I don't recommend a dog in your schedule. You'll be one of those fags that dump their dog at a shelter 6 months later due to 'he got too troublesome' . If you're so worried about your mom just hire a homeless guy food and shelter everyday and they will protect. honestly wait a year or two and dont be so rash about your decision.
>>
>>2195280
>I plan to socialize, walk, go camping, etc
>plan to

That's what every shitty new dog owner says before they get in over their head and everything goes to shit
>>
>>2195280
>friendly
>loyal
>will act as guard or alert dog
All based on training, so you may want to read up on training.

How hot is it on average, and what is the average temp in the summer that the dog would need to put up with?
Either way, your spits, sled dogs, and most mountain dogs are out for you

>School and work most of the time
Then you aren't looking for a puppy. Puppies need to be let out to shit and piss every few hours, including the night. Otherwise, they may get used to shitting themselves and thing shitting in the house is OK, and then instead of just getting the dog into a routine, you need to actually train it that shitting inside is shit and shitting outside is amazing. Even if, theoretically, the pup was house trained, the rule of thumb is they can only hold their bladder 1 hour for every month they are in age (usually stops around 8-10 months), so a house trained 2 month old puppy would need to go out every 2 hours.
Depending on how long you are away each day, you are looking at an older to senior dog. The breeds you picked out, unfortunately, need a lot of attention. Look deeper than just Dogs 101

I am not up to date with current dog training books, my newest one was published in the 1980s. But I have heard of this book being tossed around, and when I skimmed it here and there it seemed to cover a ton about training
>Handbook of Applied Dog Behavior and Training, Etiology and Assessment of Behavioral Problems by Steve Lindsay
If you need help stealing a book, go to /lit/, they have information on getting books in the sticky. I wish I could help you more with books, but mine are woefully outdated
>>
>>2195483
It really largely depends on your area. Where I've grown up, fucking border collies keep bad guys away. If you live on the south side of Chicago, you may need a scarier dog.
>>
>>2195498
Normal people just plan for vacation when they get a pup. Geez this thread is full of basement dwellers according to whom noone would be able to raise a dog
>>
>>2195525
>implying border collies aren't known for being smart neurotic psychos
>>
Jesus who would've thought this board would be so harsh
>>2195340
Yeah because that's why people who get dumped want a dog, pervert.
No I'm not going to fuck it, u philistine
>>2195483
I've had big dogs my whole life and have been the primary caretaker, on my own, of my ex's two pitbulls for the past 2 years. I haven't lived with my parents for 4 years. I'm not a basement dwelling mouthbreather.
I'm actually a pretty responsible person. Why would me getting my own house be better for raising a dog? Most everyone itt is saying leaving it alone most of the day would be wrong, which is why I'm doing this now while I have my parents around to provide it with some level of company.
Try not to project so much in your posts.
>>2195484
Yeah well what do you want me to say? "I plan to neglect it and keep it on a chain in the backyard it's whole life"?
>>2195556
Thank you for being normal
>>2195498
Thanks for all the info.
To clarify, the pup would be free to wander the backyard most of the day. It would really only come inside when I was home, or I'll leave the door open for it.
>>2195462
Nah fuck that
>>2195420
So what dog would be fine romping around in the backyard? Should I get two pups so they can play with eachother?
>>
>>2195594
Kill yourself. You'll be putting the dogs health and happiness below everything else. Wait till you're out of school at least ya fucking selfish retard. Get a fucking fish or cat if you're a depressed emo.
>>
>>2195594
Also you're acting like a nigger
>>
>>2195602
What the fuck are you talking about? Who cares if I'm at school? I'm not there 24/7. I'm there about 2-3 hours a day 3 days a week. That's not a whole lot.
And I'm far from a depressed emo. I exercise frequently and go to kickbacks occasionally and have people over pretty often. Like I said, he's going to be socialized.
I don't even know why I'm responding to this b8. You're a fucking idiot.
>>2195604
Why are you trying to act high and mighty on a nepalese flyfishing mailing list?
>>
File: water-10.jpg (61KB, 672x378px) Image search: [Google]
water-10.jpg
61KB, 672x378px
Op here, does anybody have any personal info on Canaan dogs? They seem pretty perfect for my situation. They've come up frequently when I do various 'dog compatability tests' online.
>>
OP, don't listen to these whiny niggers complaining about how you're going to "neglect" the dog. Highly doubt you will.
>>
>>2195615
Apart from the fact they're bloody rare except for in their country of origin, and that if you want an actual Canaan dog instead of some knockoff that people are pretending are Canaan dogs but really it isn't, then you'll have to import from Israel.

Which is doable, but bloody expensive and a hassle what with paperwork and organising shipping and all that.
>>
>>2195632
Thanks. I'm determined to be an awesome fucking owner. Will probably spend a few months just figuring out the breed and then another few months becoming an expert at training before I actually get the pup.
Getting one regardless of what 4chan says. I've never not lived with a dog.
>>2195637
There's got to be some rescue/breeding groups somewhere around north america. Looking that up now. Price is of no object. I'm an expert at budgeting.
>>
>>2195642
Dang, long planning. At least you will be prepared when you get the pupper.
>>
>>2195652
Well it's a living thing I'll be constantly around for about 15 years, so yeah. Gotta prep
>>
>>2195612
We get it you don't care about the dogs health or happiness
>>
>>2195661
Thanks for the bumps, faggot
>>
>>2195594
you seem highly unsuitable to take care of a dog to be honest. and just because you've raised them all your life doesn't mean that you've done a good job

either get a low maintenance adult dog or just don't fucking get one because it will be miserable and you'll feel like a dumb ass

nobody in this thread is going to support you in your decision to get a fucking puppy and then abandoning it in your back yard for the day.

that's not how taking care of a dog works. you don't just let an adult dog roam in your backyard thinking it will get the exercise it need, let alone a fucking puppy

this thread is reminding me of that other thread with the mexican dog owners. i wouldn't be surprised to find out op is a mexican desu
>>
>>2195668
You're welcome future "take my dog to the pound" owner
>>
>>2195670
I plan on running it twice a day. In the morning and at night and playing fetch or tug of war with it.
Why is everyone jumping to the conclusion that I'm going to abandon it? I guess I worded the op wrong. But no, it'll be in the backyard maybe 5 hours alone every other day. And definitely not when it's just a puppy. But when it gets older, yeah.
Jesus. Alright, I'll try this thread again another day I guess.
>>
we get it. everybody itt is a shut-in neet that can act like the best dog owners in the world because they never leave the house. but some of us have jobs and responsibility. if you're trying to say that nobody who has a job reserves the right to own a dog, then you're either naive as hell or just trolling.
>>
>>2195677
I have a job and have someone to walk my dog and play with him for a few hours. Then I get home and spend time with him. Keeping your dog in a crate 8+ hours is pretty much dog hell. If your dog can't behave himself to where you have to put him in a crate you should:
A: get them trained
B: don't get a dog you look at it as a piece of furniture you feed
>>
>>2195683
Nobody ever said they were putting their dog in a crate for 8 hours
>>
Hmm maybe a German shepard/lab mix?
That would be good for a new owner.
Or shit, just a lab. Can't go wrong with that
>>
>>2195689
No. He should only own a toy breed or elderly dog
>>
Adopt an older dog. It's easier to know their personality once they're older and I think you need a "loner/couch potato" type of dog.
A couple shelters in my area will display the dogs' "personality type" in their profiles. Don't rely on breed because I've met nice chows, quiet poms and calm beagles. You don't want to throw wads of money on a purebred and end up with that ONE stereotype breaker.
Also try signing up to be a foster at a shelter. If you like the dog, you can adopt it when it goes up for adoption (and normally you get first dibs). If you don't, it's temporary and maybe you will like the next dog you foster. It'll also help iron out your skills before you get your own.
>>
>>2195642
no matter what you read, you will never be really prepared or ready for the dog
>>
Holy shit this thread is retarded. I highly doubt anyone here who sais op will neglect his dog has ever actually had a dog. Its like, you're all just a bunch of moralfags who are trying to prove they'd be more responsible people than anyone else, but its all for the sake of trying to cover up that they are terribly irresponsible people irl. Trying to nitpick everything about OP's life in order to prove he can't compensate for the dog but you're actually just looking for loopholes to insult people. OP sounds like he's determined and prepared, and judging by your life style an old dog isn't going to be able to keep up. Get a nice young pupper OP- I know you said no bullies but my dads staff and mastiff will run for 3 hours after my dad on a bike, and then go walk up a hill for a bit throughout the day. Trust me, they get exhausted. Most old dogs can still struggle to walk around the block, thats not the kind of dog you want op. If your active enough to keep yourself healthy unlike most of these cave dwellers good chance the dog will stay healthy with you too if its getting the same exercise. 2s a company if the dogs are left alone for a good few hours. If you exercise them enough, they should be pretty sleepy while your gone (but that's from the experience from my dads dogs)
>>
>>2196680
The problem is there is no middle ground. For every autistic /an/ poster overreacting to trivial things or just trying to be an insulting prick, you will find people who are actually shit owners that either don't know they are fucking up, or just don't care.
You can't call someone an animal abuser because they let thier dogs toenails get too long. On the same hand you can't call yourself a responsible owner for doing this because it seriously fucks up the way the dog walks, joint movement, and comfort.
The type of people who frequent 4chinz are not the ones to kindly inform a poster that they are making mistakes, just as much as they are also not the type to respond well criticism. While I agree with most of what you are saying, you can't just say the problem is everybody on /an/ being a moral fag and blowing things out of proportion. There is no excuse for the bait threads on this board, and it is one of the main reasons people react the way they do.
The advice you get here is worth every penny you paid for it.
>>
>>2196699
>'worth every penny you paid for it'
So its worth absolutely nothing.

Not always entirely true, some people say very useful stuff here sometimes. But the very vast majority of you sound like you read a quick guide on dog care and take every 'dont' on the list and ram it down people's throats despite it being completely irrelevant half the time.

Like telling a guy who goes on runs to get an old senile dog because he just assumes 'he wont exercise it'
That guy is pretending he knows what dogs needs and that other people don't. But he didn't even acknowledge op's life style, just pretended he knows everything. You can't bring a senile dog on runs, and it explicitly states in the op that he has an active lifestyle and wants a dog that can use that. Yet some idiot still has to pretend he knows better when he cant even be bothered to pay attention. Thats all people do here- i doubt half the people here have the patience to deal with animals in real life.
>>
>>2195594
Keeping a dog in the backyard all day, especially a cute little puppy, is going to result in a dead or lost puppy, or a fine. It will also not help with house-training at all. Your parents need to be on par with training; family dogs are notoriously hard to train because even one person going against the grain can ruin all your hard work. Puppies should actually be spending most of their time indoors, no outside. Their immune system is still incredibly young and fragile and will be until 6 months of age. Not saying they can't play outside, but you're in for a mess of worms and bacteria and viruses if he's left outdoors most of the day. Even working pups spend most their time in a home. Please don't let it spend hours at a time outside as a puppy.

Owning a home would be ideal because it's your house. It's very difficult to find apartments that allow pets, let alone dogs, let alone big dogs, let alone big dogs that are most commonly on banned breeds (GSD, Dobe). If you have a pet friendly apt now that's great, but before breaking the lease remember you have a new family member that most apts will not allow.

>>2195615
Dog compatibility tests are absolute garbage. On par with 'mental illness diagnosis' test and 'what spongebob character are you?"
I know they are independent and hard to train. They tend to be healthy, very active dogs.
>>
I doubt you'd abandon the dog but don't leave it outside for hours. It could escape or someone could steal it
>>
File: IMG_20160822_201500.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160822_201500.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
Can anyone identify this spider for me?
>>
>>2197121
Sorry, didn't mean to post in this thread. Can't erase.
>>
>>2197111
Nah. The house is a fortress and I've already puppyproofed the fences and brick walls. Nothing gets in or out.
>>
>>2197133
The dog can still get ill. Nothing keeps out viruses and bacteria. Your puppy is going to have a very weak immune system for quite a while. Also it's not good for socialization or training as explained earlier
>>
>>2195280
Cropping ears on a dog should be illegal
>>
>>2197235
Why? Because it prevents ear infections?
>>
>>2197313
>Cropfags actually believe this
>>
>>2197341
>Petafags actually don't believe this
>>
>>2197121
Its an Araneus, too blurry to say more. Probably diadematus. There are a few hundred species that could match.

They are harmless.
>>
File: basset-hounds.jpg (26KB, 436x292px) Image search: [Google]
basset-hounds.jpg
26KB, 436x292px
>>2197313
Then why people only crop ears on some breeds? What about bloodhounds, bassets and spaniels? They look more prone to ear infections than dobermans and pitbulls.
>>
>>2195323
this is one of the dumbest dog memes out there

most people don't have some cush lifestyle where they can just stay home and lounge around with their pets throughout the day and need to actually go to a job so they can pay their bills and stuff

a well adjusted, properly trained dog should be able to be left alone for a large chunk of the day without issue as long as you take care of business first

i used to live alone and would work 8 hours, 5 days a week plus overtime which meant sometimes my dog would be at home for up to 12 hours. i would get up 1-2 hours early and take him for a big run so he'd just pass right out until i came home again and take for another long ass run .. i videotaped him during the day a couple times but stopped because it was boring, he would go under a blanket on the bed and not come back out until i was back home

with so many dogs being destroyed because there aren't enough homes for them, calling good owners "plain cruel" for having to work everyday is pretty ridiculous
>>
>>2197610
Hey anon you're awesome. That's how a dog owner should be
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.