[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When you call your cat or dog by its name, does it know that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1366739919127.gif (1023KB, 400x260px) Image search: [Google]
1366739919127.gif
1023KB, 400x260px
When you call your cat or dog by its name, does it know that word is its name? Does it associate the word with itself, its own sense of identity?

Or does it just know the word means the equivalent of "come here" or "dinner time"?
>>
>>2193783
wow that's a talented cat
>>
>>2193783
Well, most seem to know it's some sort of call for their attention, not the same as "come here" but really, something like a name is probably a really complicated concept. I've seen dogs and cats know a word for other cats and dogs, like you tell them "Pat" and they know Pat is the other dog, but usually they just find them or point them out or something.
Neither cats nor dogs have such large parts of their brains dedicated to language like humans do, so something like a word for themselves as individuals might be something they can't get into.
I don't even know if they have a concept of themselves as individuals although I assume they do.
>>
If you have 2 dogs, will they understand that a word is used to call one of them, but not the other?
>>
>>2193867
Yes. One dog listens to Toby and one listens to chubbs
>>
My cats don't react to their names. They will come if they hear treats, one will sometimes come if I meow the other if I say come here or if I hold up a brush
>>
I don't know if cats really recognize their names.
>>
File: Dolphin spinning a bubble ring.gif (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Dolphin spinning a bubble ring.gif
2MB, 480x360px
>>2193783
fun fact, dolphins do actually have names.
They each have a series of noises that can be used to call them individually, and when they meet new dolphins they "introduce" that name to them.
>>
>>2193882
>if i meow
top kek
>>
>>2193783

My cat definitely knows her name

No matter what she's doing, if you call her name, she'll turn around, look at you for a second, and then go back to what she was doing.
>>
I have two dogs and four cats. They all know their name and will come when called. Except for Minee, who is an attention whore. She comes running no matter who you call.
>>
>>2194112
Sounds like something dolphins would do. I figure other delphinidae bros do this too.

>>2194129
Have cats. Can confirm.
But do they understand that word is THEM like, do they think "This word means me". or something like "This is a sound humans make when they talk to me." or something.
>>
>>2193882
What if you randomly hold up a spork ?
>>
>>2194112

In africa i even observed them lying to others

>bill bill, i am bill
>joe joe, i am joe
>tim tim, i am tim
>bill: joe, theres food over here
>tim: i am joe
>>
>>2194293
did they proceed to bully and rape a child's blowhole?
But really, dolphins are amazing.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.