[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What next dog do you want?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 11

File: Picture 221.jpg (83KB, 479x616px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 221.jpg
83KB, 479x616px
and Why?

I'm not sure but I was thinking the Am Staff. I know i know its a bully breed but its pretty low maintenance and wont out think me like my former dog.
>>
I don't care about breeds. Most shelter dogs are not pure anyway. I really like Staffy mixes but I don't mind what breed a dog is, just if it fits me.

I want a Greyhound for my first dog though. I heard they're good for apartment dwellers and I've been researching them heavily these past few years. I don't care about breeds but I want to make sure I'm good with dogs before I get any random one.
>>
Current dog is border collie/lab mix.

Next dog will probably be a border collie.
>>
I'd really like a Pyr, but I'm not picky. They just seem like they'd suit my lifestyle a lot and I like them a lot.
Personality is more important than breed (so long as they're medium or large) to me.
>>
I have 2 mutts I got as adults, and would like to have a puppy next. I think I would get either a GSD, great pyr, or some sort of retriever.
>>
>>2193328
Nice choice i heard they just need to zoom around at the park for an hour and there golden for chillin in the apartment for the rest of the day

>>2193334
to intelligent for me

>>2193341
heavy dog i'd be worried about medical shit but yeah i heard they have great personalities

>>2193353
GSD depends if you get show line or working line and i'd want the parents and pupp vet checked xrayed etc... before looking at a pupp

Same goes for the pyr and the retriever but i find retrievers to be boring dogs
>>
>>2193357
>GSD depends if you get show line or working line
Oh, I'd for sure get a working line and make sure to research my ass off regarding the health of the breeder's line. I know how horrifically bred GSDS are and would do my best to find the best breeder I can.
>>
>>2193369
Yeah i think with the working line though they have a higher drive so they need a job

maybe shutlzhund or some shit once he starts getting basic obedience
>>
>>2193373
Schultzhund is actually exactly what I wanted to do with him! I also want to train him for dryland mushing, and I can just ride behind on a recumbent trike.
>>
I probably won't ever get a dog again, but for the sake of the thread I'd consider getting a standard poodle or maybe a German pointer.
>>
Currently have a Rottweiler. I really want a Jämthund for my next dog because of the loyal temperament, high energy levels, and intelligence. The history/lore of the breed is pretty cool too.
>>
>>2193396
I want a Rotty for my next dog, all the ones I've met were gentle giants who loved to cuddle
>>
>>2193357
>Pyrs
Already saving up for hip replacement before I even know if I'm getting one.
>>
>>2193322
I've always wanted a bernese mountain dog, but I've never gotten one because of their price tag, health problems, and short lifespan .
>>
There are so many possibilities that would suit me. Schipperke, Keeshond, Shiba Inu, Samoyed, Akita, Malinois, Tervuren, Groenendaal, Mudi, Border Collie.

But in all likelihood it'll be down to either a Golden Retriever/Labrador mix or a purebred German Shepherd.

It just depends, but 90% on the German Shepherd. I've known the breeder I want to get my one from for about five years now, and she produces decent dogs.
>>
>>2193574
Actually, a Norwegian Elkhound would probably be a great bro dog, too.
>>
I'm thinking of adopting a Pug/Beagle mix. There are a lot in my area due to the stupid "Puggle" fad.

I had a Beagle as a kid. My parents kept her for one year then gave her away because they couldn't handle her. My family loves Pugs but I absolutely abhore Pug breeding. They're unhealthy and breeders need to fix them asap. Pug mixes usually have longer muzzles so they're somewhat healthier at least.
>>
Probably another pit mix. Purebreds are too hyper for me but pit mixes retain that goofy ass bully personality I love.

Id love kangal or catahoula cur but not as just any pet. I'd want to be able to give them a job too. Same with herding dogs. Seems much more rewarding if they have a job.
>>
File: IMG_20160818_170344.jpg (1MB, 1907x2584px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160818_170344.jpg
1MB, 1907x2584px
GSD all the way! I love them, grew up owning them and malamutes. Loyal loving and smart. Perfect dog

I own a mutt. He is goofy af but a total love so I can't complain.
>>
Currently own a golden which I got from a breeder. I really want a Keeshond or whippet but I will 100% be adopting so it's unlikely I'll get a purebred of either. I'll be happy to fall in love with a sweet and qt mutt anyway
>>
>>2193328
Get yourself a whippet. Smaller than a greyhound but very similar temprament. Very loving but very lazy. Got one myself, perfect dogster
>>
>>2193630

Smaller doesn't mean better. Everyone wants small dogs these days.
>>
>>2193637
Personally I don't get the appeal of small dogs. Rubbing your buddy's head against the side of your leg, feeling the bed move when they get on, wrapping your arms around them... how can you beat that?
>>
File: gecko cave.jpg (29KB, 768x501px) Image search: [Google]
gecko cave.jpg
29KB, 768x501px
A Rottie or a Rottie mix. Probably just gonna get one from a shelter.

There was a chill Rottie-Golden mix at a local shelter but I still live in a studio apartment so ;_;
>>
>>2193637
If you live in an apartment I'd say smaller is better. My whippet is fine, my deerhound-x-grehound is a trip hazard in the making
>>
What doggo is this and where do i get one
>>
>>2193670
Yakutian Laika simple reverse search

as for me ive always owned rottweilers so ill probably keep having them although as a second breed gsd , dobermans , or giant schnauzers.
>>
Whatever mutt at the pound is cute and fits my lifestyle :)

Might consider getting him a friend from a Boston rescue group though, my friend has Bostons and I like how fucking goofy they are, but I don't want to support breeding of any smushed face dog
>>
I absolutely love Rottweilers but I'm planning on moving into an apartment within the next year so it's not in the cards. I want a really loving and cuddly dog so I need to just do more research
>>
>>2193800
What if you got an older dog?
>>
File: download.jpg (72KB, 645x380px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
72KB, 645x380px
>>2193322
I have no idea, maybe y'all could help me?
I'm a Floridafag who adores huskies, but the poor dogs would melt in this heat. Is there any other larger breeds that are expressive as they are?
>>
>>2193849
I know of, on tumblr, at least two people who successfully keep huskies in Florida. The trick, I believe, is walking very early/very late so you aren't outside in the heat of the sun, and having an indoor dog rather than one you just chuck in the yard all day. They need that air-con.
>>
>>2193800

>cant have a rotty in an apartment

why? do you have legs with which to run and walk them with? do you have hands with which to drive to a park?
>>
Currently have Doberman, next dog will be a Doberman.

I'm kind of hooked at this point.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1449511444232.jpg (24KB, 480x380px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1449511444232.jpg
24KB, 480x380px
>>2193322
Another Parson Russell Terrier. Preferably a black & white broken-coated bitch but we'll see.
>>
I own an English Shepherd who I love to death. He's my first ever pet.

If I got a second dog it would be either a Belgian Malinois, Dutch Shepherd or a German Shepherd. I love those types of dogs, the kinds preferred by military and police. They're full of energy, extremely intelligent and would be an excellent compliment to my active lifestyle.
>>
>>2193880
>>2193810
It is way less about the size of the dog and much more about the fact that most apartments have Rottweilers on the list of banned breeds. It's not responsible for me to get one when I'm going to be relatively unstable in terms of housing for the next few years. I'll never get a dog I might have to surrender
>>
Have a pyr right now. If we move to a bigger place with a lot of acreage, we might get a lady pyr so they can go roaming together.

My best dog ever was a Chow Chow, so I'd be down to get another because they're beautiful and protective.

Akitas are cool too, but I worry about my ability to handle one (though I handled my Chow just fine, I don't know how different an Akita would be).

Deep down though, I want a little lap dog. I've never had one before but I'd love a smol pupperoni. I like poms but I'm open to other types. The sweetest little dog I've ever met was a maltese/bichon mix.
>>
I don't have a huge preference considering that my current dog is a mutt but I really like sight hounds. I'll probably get a whippet or something.
>>
>>2194770
Fair point. I'm sorry, anon :(
>>
Mutt.

There's no reason to care for breeds if you want a companion dog.
>>
>>2193849
I once kept a husky in Arizona, so I don't know about the humidity, but I know about heat and like >>2193869 said, walking them at night saves lives.
No-one really bothers you if you're jogging with a dog, too. Joggers don't carry money and no-one really risks mugging someone when they have a dog that size.
>>
i don't want--- i NEED a corgi

although i'm curious, are there any medium-small sized dogs that behave similar to labs/goldens?

i've considered maybe a mini poodle but i'm gay already and... i don't want to be a walking stereotype

i've also considered standard poodles but they're still kind of on the bigger end of medium.

i love corgis because they're very intelligent and very people oriented which is something i would really want out of a dog. i hear they're 50/50 when it comes to how cuddly they are which is something i can deal with but i don't know, i can't really think of a dog that's in that 20-30 lb range that's obedient, eager to please and also cuddly.

i'd love to get a lab but they're not the most convenient sized dogs plus i'm a bit of a little fella and i'd prefer to own a dog i knew i could restrain if i were ever need to

but yeah the difficulty of getting a corgi/their alleged stubbornness is the only reason i'm kind of turned off of them and am open to other breeds.

i'm not really interested in mustachio'd breeds like the schnauzer but yeah if anyone has any recommendations or just wants to discuss dogs please feel free i love to talk about dogs

>>2194822

i think i remember you mentioning having a chow chow/pyr in a thread a while back. i'm incredibly jealous they both seem like awesome breeds. pyrs especially. i want to cuddle with one so bad :3 regarding small lap dogs, definitely look into mini/toy poodles. i think i've read in the past that maltese/bichons are vaguely related to poodles. all incredibly smart dogs i think. poodles moreso iirc.
>>
>>2194868
i misspoke a tad. bichons are distantly related to poodles and aren't really as obedient. i would say look more into toy/mini poodles than bichons or maltese but that would just be my preference
>>
File: RoadWarrior_085Pyxurz.jpg (201KB, 1600x1212px) Image search: [Google]
RoadWarrior_085Pyxurz.jpg
201KB, 1600x1212px
I really want a Blue Heeler but I just bought a house in the suburbs with a tiny yard. To make matters worse it's on a corner adjacent to an elementary school so he'd be barking at kids all day. I don't think there's any way I could keep a working dog like that in this area.
>>
>>2194868
>i can't really think of a dog that's in that 20-30 lb range that's obedient, eager to please and also cuddly
M U T T S
U
T
T
S
>>
>>2194992
There's a reason why "mutt" is also an insult, you know.
>>
>>2194994
Is it because of hybrid vigor?
>>
There's a Finnish Spitz in a local shelter that I'm going to go visit on Monday (assuming he isn't taken yet)

Current dog is a Husky. If they get along well maybe I'll take him home with me. My dog desperately wants another dog to play with.
>>
>>2193670
Are you a furry? That looks like the kind of dog a furry would love to have as pet.
>>
i'd like to have three dogs, a flattie + GSD + italian greyhound, that would be good
>>
File: kandspitz.jpg (138KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
kandspitz.jpg
138KB, 540x405px
>>2195571
You'll have to be careful because of the size difference of the husky and the Finnish Spitz. Make sure the Spitz has safe places and probably don't leave them unsupervised. Finnish Spitz are tiny.

Here is my husky-sized (50lbs) mix and an actual purebred Finnish Spitz.
>>
>>2194994
What is the reason?
>>
>>2195583
I've got a GSD/Flat Coat mix and he is a great dog

His temperament is very shepherd-like, just a little more friendly
>>
>>2195591

The Spitz is a mix and is 50 lbs. My Husky is also a mix and is around 47lbs. So the Spitz is actually bigger and taller.
>>
>>2194994
Purebred dogs are only really necessary for work. It is understandable that one needs the stability in temperament and health solid-practiced breeding can give in a working line. Although I have read about police departments using pitbulls from shelters for K9 Units, this is no where near as reliable as purebred working dogs, bred specifically for police work.

That being said, for a simple companion animal, mutts are an excellent choice. They come in any size you could want, and their temperament is wide and broad. For that poster's question, if they spent some time at a nice shelter, they could absolutely find a dog in that weight range with the traits they desired. That is what is great about mutts: you can find one for any lifestyle, any size, any... anything really.

Mutts are also much more economical (200 dollars for a mutt from a nice shelter versus 2000 for a dog from a reliable, reputable breeder). They also /tend/ to be heather (not a guarantee as both parents could be genetic time-bombs, but it does increase their odds of having good genes). They are also just way more unique looking. Purebreds all tend to look the same (as you would expect with things like breed standards).

That all being said, if you have the resources and desire, there is no reason not to buy a purebred for a companion. The US is a free country, so you should be able to do whatever you wish. There are lots of people who enjoy the particular temperaments of various breeds, and more power to them for wanting to raise and choose those breeds as their companion.

I would like to end with this: before buying a purebred puppy, do consider rescuing. There are rescues for nearly every kind of purebred dog, so why buy when you can save a life and give a poor dog down on his or her luck another chance at a happy, long, merry life?
>>
>>2193322
If you want low maintenance find an older rescue or mellow pup. Some pits need as much exercise as a working border collie. Some are as lazy as the day is long. Go look at some shelter dogs see if anything clicks.
>>
>>2195829
They sound like they could be an excellent match, provided they like each other.

Spitz are barkers, but huskies are pretty noisy too so I'm sure you'll be able to manage that.
>>
File: ess.jpg (132KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
ess.jpg
132KB, 640x425px
I have a springer spaniel right now (working type so she's pic related) and walk her about 2 hrs a day. i'm thinking about getting a herding type next but can't decide between cattle dog/heeler, kelpie or border collie. any thoughts /an/?
>>
I won't have a new one anytime soon, no money to maintain it. But I'd like a great dane, rottweiler or boxer. I almost got a chow chow for free, neighbor wanted to give it to us, but no money to feed it, so we had to refuse it.
>>
>>2193322
We had several dogs when I was younger, living with my family.
I wanted to get a Dobbie for ages, I just love them.
But Grayhounds really mixed me up.

Do Dobermans have any issues that the Grayhound don't have or vice versa?
>>
I'm feeling nostalgic for a Beagle by parents had when I was young but gave away after a year because she was unmanageable to them. Probably a Beagle mix then.
>>
Kangal
Anatolian Shepard
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Border collie
Canaan Dog
unfortunately i still am in shared house life, until I rent a house with a feasible yard or on the beach or larger scale penthouse i cant for the life of me justify it, still in grad school, work full time, would be unfair to the dog

BTW, does anyone know of good breeders for these types of dogs in Southern California, im in the newport beach/Laguna Beach/ Huntington Beach area?
>>
>>2194868
>>2194872

Yeah that was me! I would let you cuddle mine (the pyr that is, the chow is less open to cuddling) I'll look into poodles for sure. I used to do animal physical therapy and we had a group of standard poodles who came in frequently. Such nice dogs. Poodle is also probably the only lap dog besides pom that my SO would like too.
>>
Question: are borzoi as relaxed as greyhounds or do they need a lot more exercise to be chill? Kind of wanted a sighthound but it gets pretty cold here and I'd hate to keep a pupper cooped up for 5 months out of the year just because of a few feet of snow. I figure the russian hunting dog with all that fur will probably not mind winter quite as much, even if grooming is more work.
>>
>>2197331
A borzoi is a sighthound. Their temperment is a lot like grehounds.
>>
I've always wanted a Shiba and am reaching a point in life where it will soon be possible, but I live alone and will continue to do so and am afraid I won't be able to give it all the attention and training it needs to be a happy dog. I really love their personalities and would be willing to put the vast amount of the time in after work to train it properly, but everyone says they are more family dogs and that it being alone in an apartment 8 hours a day would be suffering for the poor doggo.
>>
probably some clever little terrier mutt from the pound, like what i usually get
>>
>>2196528
50% of Doberman Pinschers develop dilated cardiomyopathy, and many die from it, often quite young (5 or 6).

Most common cause of death in Greyhounds is cancer, at 58%. But that's ALL cancers, not just one.

I'd say you have a better chance of getting a dog to old age if you get a Greyhound rather than a Doberman.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.