[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Betta Fish

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 8

File: fish.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
fish.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Just got my first ever fish, a betta fish and a 9L tank they recommended since they don't like open spaces. I have a thermometre set to 26C and a filter on the lowest stream setting.

As long as I feed him twice a day and keep using the conditioner and bio starter to make the water better, he should be okay right? There's nothing else I need to do for him other than sing for him?

Also name suggestions please.
>>
>sing for him

wat
>>
>>2193123
> Betta Fish
> Just got my first ever fish,
> a betta fish and a 9L tank they
> recommended since they don't
> like open spaces. I have a thermometre
> set to 26C and a filter on the
> lowest stream setting.
>
> As long as I feed him twice a
> day and keep using the conditioner
> and bio starter to make the water
> better, he should be okay right?
> There's nothing else I need to
> do for him other than sing for
> him?
>
> Also name suggestions please.They can be in as big a volume as you want. that shit is a myth. they generally live in streams and stuff not puddles. they're tropical so keeping the water warm is good yeah. low water current is great.

do a partial water change at least once a week. change 30-50% of the water

personally I recommend 5 gallons or up for bettas, nothing smaller than a 2.5g though.
>>
File: image.jpg (635KB, 3128x1362px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
635KB, 3128x1362px
>>2193123
You'll want a bigger tank at some point. Make sure you keep the water clean. Here my new betta. Don't mind the glass scratches this isn't my show tank anyway.
>>
>>2193132
wow he's really gorgeous!
>>
>>2193132
>Show tank
Top kek
>>
>>2193138
You don't have a show tank?
>>
File: Girls.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
Girls.png
490KB, 449x401px
>>2193138
>he doesn't have a show tank
>>
>>2193139
>>2193141
Same boy
>>
File: image.png (265KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
265KB, 750x1334px
>>2193144
Nope
>>
>>2193141
>>2193139
Why do i need one?
>>
>>2193151
It's just something for later on in the hobby
>>
>>2193123
bettas like to rest, so introduce either live or silk plants into the aquarium. They pull nitrates out of the water and give him shade. You could also get floating plants like water lettuce and frog bit.

If you want an easy beginner plant, get an anubias or a java fern and bind it to a piece of rock or wood. They grow fine without much nutrients and light and are very hardy.

As others suggested, think about upgrading the tank to a 20-60l in the future. The more water volume you have, the more room for fluctuation in parameters in terms of nitrates/nitrites/ammonia which build up easier in a small tank due to waste.

As pointed out by others. Partial water changes regularly to keep the nitrates and other harmful substances low.

If you wanna give him a treat, feed him frozen bloodworms, daphnia and cyclops. Bettas love those.
>>
>>2193151
I think the anon means having a display tank, like you can have minimally set up tanks for breeding/keeping in your garage and then have a very well aquascaped or otherwise groomed tank for display in your living room. Small dents and scratches don't really affect the breeding/keeping process but may be undesirable if you wanna display a tank.

I myself don't really distinguish that much, but that's maybe because I only have 2 tanks, which both are in my living room.
>>
>>2193123
ugliest betta possible
>>
>>2193123
did you just set up the tank and put the fish inside?
looks like it from the bubbles

maybe im wrong or it is outdated but you should have waited at least 2 weeks, so that plants, bacteria and chemicals can settle, before introducing fish.
>>
File: IMG_5146.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5146.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>2193128
Yeah the thing said to change 25% of the water every week but I guess I can do that. They said that they like smaller tanks so that's why I got this one, but I can upgrade.

>>2193186
I wouldn't mind getting a real plant for there, there's some fake one in there they gave me. I'll look up those anubias or java fern plants and check out those treats.

>>2193191
Rood

>>2193209
I waited 6 hours, I didn't realise at the pet shop that you had to do that until I got home and read the instructions, but they said to wait 3 days. I didn't want to leave the fish in the bag overnight though so I didn't really know what else to do with it since it can't breathe the air out of the bag.

Also am I supposed to have a filter? It seems like he's always constantly having to flap his fins to stay in place, and when I woke up he was right up against the filter, so I feel like he's being sucked in?

You can sort of see his tail behind the filter here, I didn't want to turn the flash on though because it might've scared him.

I was babysitting for Mom's Betta earlier in the week and she just keeps it in a tiny vase about a quarter of the size of this tank, and that fish seemed like active when I'd talk to him but it wouldn't be constantly flapping his fins to stay in a place like this one. I have the filter on the lowest setting too, and it came with the tank which is advertised as a Betta tank so it should be fine right?

>>2193125
I heard they can recognise their owners so I'll sing for him so he can get comfortable around me.
>>
>>2193132
I like the wild coloration. Ironically these are hard to find
>>
>>2193214
I wouldn't worry about the filter. They like low flow.

Check the fake plant, if it's a plastic one, don't use it - long finned fish can cut themselves there.

The process about the bacteria is cycling - some even cycle their tanks for over a month, before introducing fish, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Bettas are usually very hardy and tolerate uncycled systems rather well. You still may wanna keep a close eye on him, if he starts breathing heavily or shows any other signs of discomfort like discolouration - just keep the water changes regular and everything will be fine though.

You did not do anything out of ill intent. Your Betta is fine and will be, if you do your research and care for him. Sadly many Bettas are advertised as disposable pets that require no maintenance, which is sadly not true, that's why your mom keeps one in a vase.
>>
>>2193214
You should definitely have a filter if you can. try baffling it. it's pretty simple. if that doesn't work just invest in a lower flow one at some point
>>
File: IMG_5162.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5162.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>2193220
Yeah turns out it was a plastic one, wtf. Why even include it with the tanm advertised for Betta fish if it's bad for them.

I wish I knew acout the cycling stuff before, I haven't had a fish since I was a toddler so I didn't know it was a thing. I cna't notice him breathing heavily, is discolouration just the brightness?

I think he seems okay at the moment though. I tried giving him three of these tiny little ball things that came with it, and he ate one of them but left the other two, but I heard that sometimes they don't eat after going to a new tank. He follows my finger around if I drag it up and down the tank though, so that's a good sign right?

>>2193238
Can you explain baffling? I just find it weird that he's constantly flapping his smaller fins on the side, like I'm scared he'll tire himself out or something, since the one in the vase I never noticed doing it so constantly. He's also always facing away from the filter, like he's swimming against it, but the back of the tank that the filter is on is a black wall so maybe there's just nothing for him to look at over there anyway.

Like pic related is where he was just floating for a bit, but he was still flapping his fins, and behind him is the filter. It just looks odd that he'd be staying in the same place at that weird angle while flapping his fins, that's probably the biggest worry for me.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
So I turned off the filter and tried feeding him again and he ate a few more, he's still constantly using his fins though, but I saw him facing the filter for the first time.

Should I leave the filter off overnight or will he be okay if I turn it on? I just don't want to wake up and have something bad happen because he got tired out.
>>
File: 20160818_100655.jpg (2MB, 2059x1801px) Image search: [Google]
20160818_100655.jpg
2MB, 2059x1801px
>>2193280
Don't worry about it, as long as he has something to rest on, he'll be fine. And don't turn off your filter, any beneficial bacteria in there will be killed if you keep it off for more than 20-30 minutes. It'll ruin the cycling process.

And I would only feed him once a day, bettas can be very prone to overeating in captivity. The rule of thumb is that their eyeball is the same size as their stomach, so feed as much as you think would fit in its eye. That would usually be 3-4 betta pellets, or 1-2 freeze dried bloodworms

Also, I'd recommend live plants, especially ones with broad leave for him to rest on. My boy is always relaxing in the floating wisteria or exploring around his dwarf lily leaves
>>
>>2193280
Keep the filter running. You wanna keep the tank aerated via surface agitation. No surface agitation=less oxygen dissolved in the water. Betta can breathe surface air, but prefer to use oxygen via their gills.

That and as >>2193286 pointed out bacteria growth will be impaired.

There are many cheap ass sponge filters for less than 15 dollars, google that or a small "Hamburger Mattenfilter"

The benefit of those two types is that they can provide a large surface area for bacteria, aerate the water without that much or no flow at all and are cheap as hell.

Also keep a lid on your tank if there is none - not only are bettas jumpers, but they can get an infection if the surface air they breathe is too cold (this is more common in their gourami cousins though)
>>
>>2193280
bettas can breath oxygen somewhat like humans so the water does not necessary have to contain a high amount of oxygen but you will need the filter for the wastes of the fish because the tank is very small
can you reduce the flow of the filter even more; turn it upwards or something? Bettas hate current; take a look at how they live in their natural habitat

put as much plants in your tank as possible; they take a part of the waste and produce oxygen

don't feed the fish too much; only as much as it does eat; too much food will kill the small tank
>>
>>2193286
It's takes 12 hours before bb start dying
>>
>>2193286
>>2193289
Okay so I only had the filter off for 10 minutes so hopefully it isn't too bad, and yeah I have a lid because I heard he jumps.

>>2193291
I'll try and find some of that wisteria tomorrow or it and one of hose sponge filters so help it out. He only ate three of four of those pellets so hopefully it wasn't too much.

So how often do you guys think I should be cleaning it, just the 35%-50% water change every week and the bio starter every week, but do I have to like completely empty the tank and like scrub it or should it be fine with that?
>>
>>2193326
clean the glass of the tank
don't clean the gravel/sand; it will only rip out the plants

I would get a small cleaning-magnet to clean the windows
look for a softer one if you have an acrylic tank
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.