[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is racing greyhounds considered cruel ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: Long fellow.jpg (67KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Long fellow.jpg
67KB, 720x960px
The only systematic form of cruelty is when owners destory their greyhounds after they retire simply because they are no longer making money.
Races in them I have no issue
>Greyhounds are specifically bred to race
>They love to run fast
>The owners are under many obligations legally, morally, and financially to ensure the dogs are in the best possible health
>Races increases popularlity of breed and love of them by spectators
>The culture of races ensures an incentive of care for greyhounds, for example after donkeys became obsolete as working animals by tractors people began abandoning and neglecting them
>This is how the dog earns its keep from humans as that is its purpose, how is it any different than a sheepdog or gundog ?
>>
nobody likes dog racing, they're just addicted to gambling and it's a legal option. Young dogs are the fastest so they're not bred to healthy. The owners of the dogs dump most of them on rescues organizations or into shelters as poorly socialized shitty pets, giving the breed a unnecessarily bad reputation.
>>
Greyhound racing is not inherently bad, just like ranching, however it's become warped as time has gone on. Almost all racing Greyhounds are treated horribly.
>>
>>2192680
Greyhounds are one of the oldest dog breeds and they were bred to hunt. Only now are they bred for racing. dogs are an unique animal, unlike the donkey or mule, dogs are seen as companions and protectors. To say that dogs need to earn their keep, especially through racing isn't really true anymore. I'm not against greyhound racing, but most race owners honestly don't give a shit about their Greyhounds.
>>
They are trained to go after rabbits so when and if they're eventually adopted by a family when they no longer make money, they are not cat friendly and kill wild rabbits. They are also treated like shit so they have other issues like food aggression, don't like men, etc. I knew a family who adopted five greyhounds, only two of them weren't fucked up in some way mentally.
>>
Not OP, but then why not make more laws restricting dog racing etiquette instead of banning it? Make more awareness around it, make it so breeders have to treat their dogs a certain way, try to make it healthy?

Not into dog racing, but I am into horse racing. Don't gamble.
>>
>>2194189

Animal welfare laws are often ignored. Look at farms.
>>
>>2194189
>Laws
>Regarding animals
Look at pet stores, puppy mills, slaughter houses, even your neighbor that keeps their dog outside with no shelter. None of it is closely regulated. Cops have better shit to do than go after some mistreated hounds, and your tax dollars have better use than paying the salary of animal cops to do investigations.
>>
Many racers don't care for the dogs. They're just money making machines. They're kept in small cages,andpoorly socialized. They often die of heat stroke, heart attacks, or other diseases. By age 5 they're given to rescues or killed.
>>
File: bun.jpg (306KB, 1222x900px) Image search: [Google]
bun.jpg
306KB, 1222x900px
>>2194187
Won't most dogs kill wild rabbits if they see one, even inadvertently?

I get rabbits in my backyard sometimes, and whenever my pitbull Brutus sees one they pause and lock eyes, and as soon as the rabbit takes off Brutus will bolt after it. I don't think Brutus has much of an endgame beyond "put that in my mouth" but I'm pretty sure the rabbit wouldn't survive.
>>
>>2197742
Most dogs can and do go after wild rabbits. Fortunately for the rabbit they are very hard to catch.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.