[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aq/ - aquarium general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 330
Thread images: 51

File: amano.jpg (289KB, 1400x850px) Image search: [Google]
amano.jpg
289KB, 1400x850px
- Takashi Amano Edition -

Continued from >>2187449

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size
-parameters
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

FAQ Section

>How to handle algae, snails, lighting, easy plants for beginners etc.) :

http://pastebin.com/KcJUJeV7

Links:
>How to cycle your tank: http://pastebin.com/x4WnB0Ah
>General aquarium care sheets - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/
>Livestock and plants for sale - http://www.petsolutions.com/ http://www.aquabid.com
>FUCKING GOOGLE

We all make mistakes, so don't put anyone down - rather be helpful.
Chances are, you made a similiar mistake when you were starting out.

>Useful & Extensive database for aquatic plants and their parameters:

Flowgrow
http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants

>Cool Youtube Channels:

>Aquascaping -

James Findley/The Green Machine
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreenMachineLtd

Dennis Wong
https://www.youtube.com/user/xiaozhuangw

Filipe Oliveira
https://www.youtube.com/user/FaaoStudio

Oliver Knott
https://www.youtube.com/user/amanoshrimp

>Building your own shit/ Fish&Plant talk

King of DIY
https://www.youtube.com/user/uarujoey

Dustin's Fish Tanks
https://www.youtube.com/user/Dustinsfishtanks

Wayne's Fish World
https://www.youtube.com/user/samuelwaynefoleyjr

Aquarium related documentaries (German & English)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtkQ-oVBStx0EYRcwz3bHSA

KGTropicals - Mostly Cichlid Talk
https://www.youtube.com/user/KGTropicals

Lupdiesel - Shrimpkeeping/Breeding
https://www.youtube.com/user/LupDiesel
>>
>>2191435
My amanos are pregnant right now. would I be able to use a 1 gallon as a hatchery? Don't really feel like using anything bigger right now.
>>
>>2191438
You could, but of course bigger water volume makes for more stable water conditions.

I also found this video very helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHDZyeVCm4c
>>
>>2191444
Well I'm not interested in breeding them, but I think trying to raise the fry would be interesting. But I think I'll just let them lay the eggs in the tank their in now. I know the fry won't live but I'm okay with that.
>>
Got a 13 gallon tropical tank with rocks for substrate. My crawdad finally passed (RIP) and now I can get more fish.

Any ideas for bottom dwellers?

I'd really hate to have to change the gravel out, but if I really have to, I will.
>>
>>2191474
mostly dwarf to medium sized cories (pygmaeus, hastatus, habrosus, pandas, aspirdoras etc.), but they like to dig, so maybe think about some sand or other small grain substrate,

By rock substrate, do you mean large rocks? or gravel? does the gravel have sharp edges?
>>
>>2191654
It's gravel. I'd say it's not too sharp personally.

I can grab a handful from the bag for a quick pic if you want.
>>
>>2191691
Yeah that be nice. Cories are fine with gravel, as long as its not to sharp. There's a test you can do with gravel, put it in a bucket with water and rub your palms slightly against it for 10mins. If your palms are sore and red, its too sharp for most bottom dwellers.
>>
File: pPETNA-5210352_main_t300x300.jpg (31KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
pPETNA-5210352_main_t300x300.jpg
31KB, 300x300px
>>2191704

I know it's not a quick pic, but this is a start. Gotta get someone up and ready for work.
>>
Nice the other hasn't even hit the bump limit yet. Nice.
>>
>>2191435
>everyone hated Wayne
>all of a sudden he's included in the general
>>
>>2191741
I'm sorry, I thought the bump limit is 300 on /an/ - which is it? 350?

>>2191729
I checked the product page. Doesnt look very rough, sonit should be fine.
>>
File: IMG_20160816_124033.jpg (2MB, 4049x2509px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160816_124033.jpg
2MB, 4049x2509px
Hi /aq/! I found a deer antler in my backyard. Thought it was cool so I picked it up! I sawed the bottom part off. Can I put this in my fish tank? Should I boil it first? Pic related, the antler in question.
>>
>>2191743
I was the one who originally added his channel, but come to think of it, he doesn't really add anything besides being a generic aquarium vlogger. If I happen to donthe next /aq/ I will remove or replace his channel.

Got any suggestions, no matter if it's fresh- or saltwater?
>>
>>2191750

Awesome. I'll consult the LFS people here. They know quite a bit, surprisingly.

Think Kuhli Loaches would be fine? I love 'em. I'm hoping for something eel-like.
>>
>>2191758
Kuhils are cool too. I think some people here keep them too, even with shrimp and reported no predation of baby shrimp, if you maybe think about keeping shrimp and kuhlis.

>>2191753
I never kept antlers in my tank, but came upon this thread:

http://www.aquariumforum.com/f2/deer-antler-tank-14226.html#/topics/14226?_k=qjgisg

Tldr: guy kept it with angels an reported no change in water parameters - you might indeed wanna boil them.a bit first to make sure. It's a great idea nonetheless look wise.
>>
>>2191763

I had some kuhlis die to shrimp before the crawdad. Of course, they were the generic glass shrimp from PetCo, so it was more or less my fault.

May look into live planting soon too.
>>
>>2191767
If you dont wanna go for sand and stick to your substrate, you could spread out leaflitter at the bottom (indian almond, oak etc) for the kuhlis to hide under. They also would enjoy to munch on the leaves biofilm/micro organisms.

Btw got a question for all the marine/reef people: I wanna do a saltwater tank in a few years and still doing research. Thing is I'm not that into most saltwater fish and would rather just start out with (easier) corals, live rock and inverts.

What would the minimum setup for that look like? Would I still need to have a 55g minimum to start out with a sump and skimmer or would a 20g complete system be another viable approach as a saltwater beginner If I would forego fish and their bigger bioload?
>>
>>2191754
Rachel oleary is a good one for nano fish and shrimp
>>
>>2191786

I do have a fake log tunnel and some driftwood that can make a few arches when placed right. I'll inquire about the leaflitter just for the sake of extra hiding.

Would Tetramin Tropical Tablets be good? Crawdad ate them just fine, just that also potentially means nothing.
>>
File: image.jpg (775KB, 2446x1391px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
775KB, 2446x1391px
Aponogeton heaven. Have 6 bulbs growing like nuts!
>>
>>2191754
No. I just thought he was a asshole like everyone else.
>>
I have plant debris and other junk at the bottom of my aquarium. I noticed it when I was putting new plants into the substrate that a lot of 'dust' floated into the water. I have a newly started carpet and other plants and want to clean it up a bit with a gravel vacuum.

How exactly do you vacuum the gravel without tearing the plants up/uproot them?

Also, I think I have some brown diatoms growing in the top inch of my substrate. I see a band around the aquarium when looking in. Will these be detrimental and how should I go about removing them?

I have 10 amano shrimp in the tank (20g) but no other bottom cleaners.
>>
>>2191792
Cool, you can basically take any kind of dead leaves as long as it is not maroon. Peach, oak, ash, maple, lime (not the citrus fruit), indian almond leaves I tested myself.
>>
>>2191797

>How exactly do you vacuum the gravel without tearing the plants up/uproot them?

Hold the vacuum away from the carpet and gently waft your hand over it to push the grime out to siphon off.

>Also, I think I have some brown diatoms growing in the top inch of my substrate. I see a band around the aquarium when looking in. Will these be detrimental and how should I go about removing them?

Diatoms are ephemeral and common in newly set up tanks where water parameters are in flux. they do nothing apart from look unsightly. use a credit card or razor blade to get onto the glass if it's bugging you, otherwise they should disappear on their own accord.
>>
>>2191806
I would recommend not even touching them. If you scrape them off it will just spread. I learned the hard way. But if you're really anxious get a nerite snail and it'll murder it in a few days.
>>
>>2191763
I have 6 kuhlis and 5 cherry shrimp, been about 2 months with no problems
>>
I want to grow HC in my 10g shrimp tank but want to keep it low/no tech. Is this even possible?

I currently have 1.5 watts/gallon and am willing to upgrade since fixtures for 10g are small/cheap. I would rather not deal with CO2.

Is HC something I can grow with 1.5 W/gal and Flourish Excel? Or would it be a lost cause and I should just stick to non-carpeting low lights?
>>
>>2191856
Marsilea Hirsuta or Glossostigma. You could also just use bio co2 with yeast and sugar. More than enough for a 10g.
>>
how does /aq/ feel about nano/desk tanks?
We have these neat looking cube 1.5 gallon tanks, and I was wondering if there's anything at all that could be reasonable kept in one?
>>
>>2191870
Perfect, thanks for the recommendations.
I don't have a lot/any room where the tank is set up and don't think I can fit those bottles there.

Would Flourish Excel work for them or how about one of the overpriced premade small canister CO2 kits?
>>
>>2191871

All I can think of would be shrimp, really.

Maybe some tetras, but that's about all I can think of.
>>
File: Pictures Part 1 200.jpg (91KB, 760x570px) Image search: [Google]
Pictures Part 1 200.jpg
91KB, 760x570px
>>2191763
>That is an inspirational idea. Of course I'm the guy who had a "planted realistic florida ditch" setting in a 600 gallon tank back in the early eighties.... Had half a bike frame, shredded tarp strips and a couple of lawn chair pieces in it. In the corner was a big huge (like five gallons) chipped glass pickle jar and allot of beer and soda cans.

Oh my god, what. There's even a linked blog where his wife details everything about their lives.
>>
my aquarium is getting a bit warmer than necessary this summer. whats a good way to keep the heat down?
>>
File: 20160813_112123.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160813_112123.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2191871
This is my 2.5 gallon. A friend gave it to me and I set up a small scape. I plan on keeping about 15 Babaulti Shrimp in there. At the moment, its only inhabited by one wildtype neocaridina shrimplet that got in there by accident aswell as a red ramshorn snail.

>>2191879
Do you have a link to one of those premade co2 kits? Those bio co2 reactors can be cheap as hell and mine is only as big as a small water bottle.

If you wanna dose excel, be aware of your dosing and use a syringe, start with a very low dose and increase slowly. Too much at once can kill your tank, especially if its a small tank. Be aware that dosing it can mever fully replace a co2 injection. From my observation, co2 and carbon dosing is best if used in conjunction, with co2 being the main contributor.

With just dosing the excel, expect maybe some more plant thickness, but no rapid growth but thats just my personal observation.
>>
>>2191894
Colder water changes, closing the blinds/putting a blanket in front of your window, using computer fans on the water surface, using a room fan aimed at the front of the tank, using a frozen water bottle you put in the tank at the morning and put back into the freezer in the evening.
>>
>>2191897
I like that light, what is it?
>>
>>2191897
Here is the one that have at my LFS. I would replace the giant ladder with a smaller/basic diffuser.

I understand it is expensive in the long run but setting up another CO2 system when I already have one just for a small tank doesn't seem worth the hassle.

How did you go about building the yeast one?

https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Mini-Pressurized-20g-CO2-Kit/dp/B0049RL3H4
>>
>>2191871
On a side note, I would stay away from anything that isnt an invert, but you may get away with 1-2 african dwarf frogs if you keep water maintenance very tight aswell as filtration/ use lots of moss/plants. Also, you could consider dwarf crays like CPOs if shrimp are too boring, but again, only 1-3 - your bioload will always be very limited.

Dwarf rasboras are small fish but need at least 7-10 friends to feel secure so I would under no circumstance put those into that tank.
>>
>>2191887
>>2191906
ok thats good, i was actually considering shrimp for it
any species I should stay away from?
would cherry shrimp be good? I'm hoping for something at least moderately colorful

a single crayfish might also be cool
>>
File: 20160816_225620.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160816_225620.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2191902
(See pic)
It's from the german company Dennerle and was sold for 30 € including a reflector and double jointed fixture. Tank is still cycling/growing in but so far I'm happy with it's output. I'm certain other companies have a similiar/comparable light in the states.

>>2191904
Those mini pressure Kits are mostly wank from what I heard, but I cannot state anything from personal experience here.

For that bio co2 reactor, you just need rubber tubing, a plastic bottle (or a container specifically designed for that) and a ceramic diffusor or co2 flipper.

For the co2 base you either can buy an already mixed product (expensive) or cook up your own batch of sugar, water and caketopping and add the yeast and water for the reaction. There are many tutorials online about it. It's pros are that its cheap and you can regulate your co2 output via the amount of yeast and sugar you use.
>>
>>2191910

Crayfish are super neat to watch. I just had mine pass after about 2 years.

They're fun to watch because they (in my experience) will threaten you with claws for even being near the tank. They are escape artists, though, and need a good hiding spot and a bit of supplementing in their diet.
>>
>>2191910
If you are not familiar with shrimp, start with the neocaridina type like cherries/fire reds if you want colour. They are the bread and butter for shrimp keepers. Ghost shrimp are fine too but may look bland. Caridina Babaulti is also a good beginner species but it can come in any colour from green to brown to red to orange and may change, depending on water parameters/ substrate/ food/tankmates so if you like that aspect, go for it.

Stay away from anything not neocaridina besides babaultis and amanos, especially caridina dennerli (sulawesi shrimp), taiwan bees/crystal reds and so forth sice they need very specific water conditions and are very picky about water conditions.

If you want your shrimp to breed, add a sponge filter to the tank or use a piece of sponge on the filter intake so baby shrimp dont get sucked in.
>>
How to mitigate reflections in an aquarium?
>>
>>2191917
>>2191924
do you think more than one dwarf orange crayfish would be pushing it?
>>
>>2191946

Probably. They're very territorial. The rule of thumb for normal crayfish is 10 gallons per, and always rearrange the tank before adding the second one.

Whoever molted first would probably be the dead one.

Do keep in mind, my experience is with a normal one, and things may be different with dwarves. I doubt it, but you never know.
>>
>>2191963
All crays are territorial.
>>
I have a HOB filter and need to staunch the output of it so my plants aren't getting blasted so heavily. If I just buy a filter sponge, cut it, and stick it on the waterfall part will that work? Or how should I go about slowing the flow back into the tank?
>>
>>2191946
Some people report cpos going along fine, some report heavy fighting. I always kept one cpo and never tried to socialize them with their own kind. If I were you, I'd start out with one. Considering you only have 1.5 gal, it may be the smartest idea to keep the bioload down anyways.
>>
>>2191975
The sponge will work.
>>
So I'm nearing the final stages of setting up my low tech planted tank.

Quick question.. I'm using dirt, Seachem red fluorite and Seachem black sand for the cap. I was thinking of mixing the dirt(mud) and red fluorite together instead of just layering it. Does it have to be a solid dirt layer on the bottom or is it okay to have it mixed? I can't imagine what it'd hurt and I'm positive it'll look a lot better.
>>
>>2191966
That's because they're cray cray.
>>
What are some cooler, rarer freshwater fish. Don't mind if they're a lil expensive.

I just got back into this. I think I want a electric blue or German ram. It's hard to find good blue freshwater fish. I dunno I like blue. I have gouramis already. I have a 10 gallon regular and a 20 gallon riparium I got off a guy on Craigslist.
>>
>>2192113
Yeah it'll be fine.
>>
File: grLJ1Rp.jpg (116KB, 500x697px) Image search: [Google]
grLJ1Rp.jpg
116KB, 500x697px
>>2192122
>>
File: 1471316693528.jpg (1MB, 1719x1240px) Image search: [Google]
1471316693528.jpg
1MB, 1719x1240px
Jesus Christ are there any good 10-15 watt lights for rimmed tanks? All I can find are fuggin' rimless lights. It's like there's super cheap ones that look like they'd break within a week and then there's super expensive ones (that are also rimless only). Isn't there a decent in-between? At this rate I might as well just buy a rimless aquarium.
>>
>>2192137
Do you mean cooler as in cold water fish? Or cooler as in rad factor fish?
>>
>>2192137
discus are the kings of blue.
>>
>>2192137
rams aren't very rare. it really depends on whether you want to buy online or not.
>>
i got my first vacuum about a month ago and used it on my gravel, which worked wonders. however, i changed my tanks, and switched the substrate to sand because it would be nicer on my cories - but the vacuum stopped working. it's suddenly ineffectual at sucking up poop and debris. it pulls water fine, just very slowly, but it cant seem to get enough suction for the crap. i added some gravel to maybe it give it some assistance in suction and still no luck. any tips for this? it's a perfectly functioning vacuum, at least, it was
>>
>>2192238
maybe it's the vac? is it gimmicky or is it just a suction one?
>>
>>2192238
It's probably just clogged, look up instructions online on how to properly clean the specific make and model of yours.
>>
>>2192243
of course! i don't know why the possibility of it being clogged didn't occur. thank you!
>>
>>2192258
You're welcome anon, hope it starts working as good as new!
>>
>>2192137
dwarf pea puffers?

If you wanna go full rare, why not try amphibia like newts in your riparium?

If you want deep blues, you are mostly stuck with african cichlids, when you already got gouramis, but african cichlids get way too big. Of course there's also the paracheirodon simulans, which is basically a small neon tetra that has no red features, just a blue line. There are also Japan Blue Endlers, which are blue Endler/Guppy hybrids.

As for Inverts, if you are considering them, there would be Blue Dream Shrimp, which feature a deep blue or blue ramshorn snails.
>>
File: 1449054834440.jpg (58KB, 627x478px) Image search: [Google]
1449054834440.jpg
58KB, 627x478px
A pal got a China-brand water pump and when we tested it, it kept spewing out water that had a nasty-looking, thin, shiny white film on the surface. What the absolute fuck?

I tried rinsing the pump under running water for about 10 minutes and the output is still the same. Shit can't be normal, can it?
>>
>>2192299
It's not the pump. The shiny layer is caused by a bacterial flora. Maybe you feed to much or it is a freshly started tank. Either way, it'll go away by itself. You could lift the pump slightly over Waterloo Level such that it breaks the film
>>
>>2192299
do you have a brand/model description or a pic of the pump?
>>
>>2192137
Electric blue acara are nice. Congo puffers are pretty rare and unique. But they will rape anything in the aquarium and are 100% piscivores
>>
>>2191753
since it's essentially just bone, I don't see how it would leech anything into the water. might want to boil it anyway. just to be sure.
>>
>>2192317
Is it really bone? I've seen porcupines and other animals chew on it, they gnaw chunks off of it like beavers do with wood. You can't do that with bone.
>>
>>2192318
According to Wikipedia

>"Antlers are extensions of the skull grown by members of the deer family. They are true bone structures that usually grow in symmetrical pairs. In most species, only the male grows antlers and the antlers primarily function in sexual selection as attractions to females and as weapons in fights for control of harems. In many temperate zone species, antlers are shed and regrow each year, while horns are permanent."

and yes, you can chew on bone. bones are essentially Collagen and Calcium mixed with different minerals to give them strength. they aren't rocks.
>>
>>2192324
Huh, so is the fact that deer antlers are chewy rather than brittle because they are made more of collagen than calcium?
>>
>>2192327
A healthy bone isn't brittle. you'd be surprised how flexible they really are. next time you eat chicken or something, try chewing on the bone. it gives pretty easily. the reason most people don't is because it has a habit of splintering as it moves through the digestive tract.

and deer break antlers off all the time.
>>
>>2192232
Stuff that is different from typical aquarium stores.
>>
>>2192447
You could get a crab. I have one that is about the size of a softball. Originally intended it to be part of my CUC but turned out to be a different species than it was sold as.
>>
>>2192447
You could look at Cochu's blue tetra, those are very pretty in person, especially in a planted tank. Emperor tetra also have blue on them but i think its only when they get older/breed

There are quite a few rainbowfish that are blue as well if i remember right and if price isnt an issue, you could look at ones from private breeders. The colors will be much nicer.

If you are ok with just a tint of blue or blue undertones, you could look at blue angelfish.
I know there are some goldfish and livebearers that also are blue but its more of a steel blue.
if you are willing to look at other fish that arent blue but are neat, i would look into true leaf fish, rarer types of gourami such as chocolate or samurai, or general oddball fish. Ctenopoma ansorggi are pretty and bichirs and ropefish are always neat.
>>
Is there some special trick to photographing aquariums?

When I take photos they lose all depth and the range of colours is reduced.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Hey guys what kind of plants do you recommend I should get for a gourami/guppy tank? Almost done with the cycle.
>>
>>2192517
Is that only gravel? What kind of substrate are you using? Hard to see, too dark.
>>
Can a male and female betta be kept together in a 15 gallon?
>>
>>2192565
No, the only time male/female bettas should be together is when breeding and thats only for a short time. Even then it doesnt always go well
if you want to look into keeping multiple bettas together, look other species of them of them or sororities, though sororities tend to be time bombs.
>>
>>2192508
You might want to ask /p/. Here's my advice as a /p/haggot:

1. Good lighting. (Not just the aquarium, but your subject and background. Position your lamps.)
2. Good background.
3. Long telephoto lenses or macro lenses.
4. Shoot in RAW.
5. Learn Lightroom.

Or are you referring to the whole aquarium?
>>
TEMPERATURE AND AIR CONDITIONERS

Can I keep a small bowl with a betta fish in my air conditioned room? What if I buy a cheap heater for it?
>>
>>2192561
only gravel
>>
>>2192578
You can but its better to have a heater so it keeps the temp from fluctuating.
>>
>>2192234
>>2192236
>>2192295
>>2192315
Thanks for the ideas anons!
>>
>>2192486
I'm trying to find one that can live underwater. We had one in our family tank when I was a kid. Had just one big claw. Know what those are?

A local mom and pop shop has blue lobsters/crayfish. I'm gonna get one for sure.
>>
>>2192502
Thanks anon. I'll check those out.
>>
>>2192517
I have a log like that. I just anchored some Anubis to it and it looks pretty good. I also like somewhat even spaced grass type plants. Enough for your fish to dart in and out to hide but not too much you can't see through.
>>
>>2192593
red claw crab?
pretty sure those are brackish, need somewhere they can still dry off and are just in general assholes.

I think the only true freshwater crabs that are aquatic and in the hobby are thai micro crabs. really cool but you will never see them in your tank, they hide 99% of the time. Short lifespan too if i recall as well

>>2192595
no problem anon, best of luck
Oddball fish are the best, i have some different ctenopomas myself and i love the fuckers.
>>
>>2192593
Mine is a marine hermit crab. White spotted hermit. They get pretty big. Most crab species have a bigger claw and a smaller one, it's pretty common. You can buy them onlin. Some species are more aggressive though and will eat your corals so they only work in FOWLR tanks.
>>
File: IMG_20160817_143722.jpg (2MB, 3006x3891px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160817_143722.jpg
2MB, 3006x3891px
Sorry for shit quality, do any of these babies look like male endlers? They were all just in a tank marked "feeder fish" at a LFS, thanks!
>>
>>2192645
guppies
>>
>>2192137
The rarer xophophorus like helleri and montezumae would be my suggestion. You can get them from Greg Sage at Select Aquatics, and they come up at auction here in St. Louis every once in a while (I think they were first introduced into the hobby by Rusty Wessell in St. Louis). They're easy to keep because they're just swordtails, but they are huge and unlike any of the swordtails other people are keeping.

They aren't as flashy as cichlids, but they fit the "rare" bill and the X. montezumae are bluish.
>>
>>2192517
Anubias nana petite attached to the driftwood (super easy)
Hygrophila lancea in the background (another easy plant that grows like a goddamn weed and turns pink under good light, just trim it weekly)
Pick one of the shorter cryptocorynes for the foreground (more easy plants)
>>
>>2192645
I see many with endler like markings, so maybe. They're just mutts tho :3
>>
>>2192706
thanks i was planning on anubias and crypts but never heard of hygrophila lancea, ill look into it
>>
>>2192727
Any hygro will work, but I like lancea.
>>
My pots of dwarf baby tears have tiny spiders in them.
What should I do about this?
I don't care for these tiny spiders.
I have all my other plants planted emersed already.
>>
>>2192729
nice ill see if my lfs has any, its exactly what i want
>>
How do I go about staunching the flow of water from my HOB. I have the Fluval Aquaclear 30 if that helps.
Was thinking of just getting some filter sponges from the LFS and using zip ties to stick it to the filter where the water flows out to try and slow it.

The reason I want to do this is because some of my plants (ancharis and water sprite) are getting blasted and growing horizontally instead of vertically.
>>
File: image.jpg (756KB, 2191x2668px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
756KB, 2191x2668px
What's going on with this betta?
>>
>>2192778
You can do that, or you can put a sponge over the intake. The denser the sponge, the slower your flow will be.
>>
>>2192787
Hes acting very meta
>>
>>2192766
After dunking the pots in a bowl of water I discovered more spiders and lots and lots of tiny mites.
Is this a common thing to have happen?
>>
>>2192842
There are spiders that can live underwater? Jesus Christ.
>>
File: image.jpg (92KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92KB, 800x600px
>>2192850
>>
>>2192857
This is a blue board, please don't post that.
>>
File: image.jpg (86KB, 596x397px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86KB, 596x397px
>>2192858
>>
I'm thinking of buying a 100+g freshwater tank and throw some rainbow sharks and a few other fish with crabs n crayfish. also dwarf baby tears and whatever plant carpets look nice.

Is there any recommendations on stuff i should get/avoid? e.g good filters/lights
>>
>>2192871
Rainbow sharks will fight a lot and crayfish will eat whatever fish it gets its claws on especially when they sit on the bottom to rest
>>
>>2192871
I don't know about baby tears but apparently crayfish rip apart any plants/roots.
They also will eat any fish they can.
>>
Question about behavior: is glass surfing indicative of something? I have gouramis in separate tanks. They like to swim quite fast back and forth on the front of the tank. I'm just curious if this means something, like they need more cover, or if it's nothing.
>>
What should I do about these bugs?
Why do bad things only happen to me?
>>
>>2192877
mine does the same time. She has her own cave and plants covers
>>
>>2192645
Just feeder guppies. They won't be as colorful as endlers or fancy guppies, but they're hardy and will color up a bit with some proper care.
http://www.feederguppies.com
>>
>>2192872
>>2192873
very interesting

the electric blue lobster seems so cool to have
>>
>>2192887
They are. Its just a gamble because they're dicks.
>>
>>2192887
I was thinking about getting one but settled on making a shrimp only tank instead. Shrimp are really fun to watch believe it or not. I watch my amanos as much as my fish.
>>
>>2192787
Anyone?
>>
>>2192893
I cook up a bunch of mine. Yummy.
>>
>>2192889
sounds like it would be fun to watch them
>>2192893
what are the coolest shrimps?
>>
>>2192896
Ghost shrimp. They can float through the glass and haunt other tanks.
>>
File: 11756926633_9e25162d0b_b[1].jpg (322KB, 1024x670px) Image search: [Google]
11756926633_9e25162d0b_b[1].jpg
322KB, 1024x670px
>>2192896
If you're looking for colorful shrimp then there are a ton.
Amanos are nonstop eaters and are constantly moving around the tank. I have seen them swim to the surface upside down to steal food from the fish.

Not sure how accurate this chart is but I have seen a lot of these colors.
>>
File: help.png (54KB, 1062x474px) Image search: [Google]
help.png
54KB, 1062x474px
Has anyone heard of this brand before? I've been searching for days for a fluorescent light that will go on a rimmed aquarium. $66 seems a bit steep but I've seen it for $100 on other sites. I can't seem to find how many watts the lights in it are though is the main issue.
>>
>>2192909
Nigger it's a T-5
>>
Any clown loach keepers here? What's your lighting setup like? My loaches still hate every kind of bright non-natural direct light 6 months after I got them, now I'm reduced to providing weakass 2-watt peripheral lighting fml.
>>
>>2192909
I got an even cheaper one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016X3U2BY

Works fine for me. I don't expect it to last forever but its good enough until I build my own.
>>
>>2192911
So what does that mean? Are all T-5's the same wattage? I'm still learning more about lighting, I don't know jack. I'm going for a low-tech planted tank so Watts are important for me.

>>2192914
Yeah I was looking at that one too. I might go for that one or this Odyssea one.
>>
>>2192914
>>2192915
Oops.. they are both Odyssea.. just a different model.

https://amzn.com/B01IFIOYLE
>>
File: 450divingbellspider.jpg (20KB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
450divingbellspider.jpg
20KB, 450x253px
>>2192857
>>2192862
Post actual underwater spiders you fucking idiot.

Here. Pic fucking related.
>>
File: diving_bell_spider4_595.jpg (57KB, 595x441px) Image search: [Google]
diving_bell_spider4_595.jpg
57KB, 595x441px
>>2192917
and another!
>>
>>2192915
I am still learning so take what I say with a grain of salt.
There is T5 and T5 HO. HO= high output meaning more wattage.

Basically what you need to keep in mind is what you are buying. You can't slap a T5 bulb in a T8 socket or T5-HO socket.

Watts per gallon is important to keep in mind when purchasing. Look at what type of plants you want to keep and base your decision from there. High light plants are 3W/gal for example.

Last thing I can think of is type of bulb (6500K vs 10000K). As far as I have been told the major difference between the 2 bulbs is how it makes your tank look. Some people prefer 10000K, a mix, etc.

So I'd say figure out your plant situation first then look at fixtures. Don't worry too much about brands since light is light as long as you get the correct amount/type,

If I am wrong someone please correct me since I am learning still.
>>
Does anyone know what I can do about a fish with pop-eye? One of my fish just got pop-eye about a day ago. It was only one of the two fish and just in its right eye. Keep in mind that my fish are Comet Goldfish that were given away at a school event so they probably were not in the best condition to begin with. Their tank is clean and since it only happened to one of them I'm not sure what I should do about it.
>>
File: REEEEEEEEan.jpg (31KB, 650x465px) Image search: [Google]
REEEEEEEEan.jpg
31KB, 650x465px
>>2192917
>>2192918
And one more for the road.

I think it would be interesting if a anon could get this set up in his aquarium. These spiders are native to Europe cant remember exactly where though.
>>
Should I be scraping algae off the glass? It isn't close to taking over but if I look for it I can see tiny green specs all over and some green spots.
I have plenty of shrimp that eat it off the substrate but wont touch glass.

What about oto(s)?
>>
>>2192787
Is that shit or guts?
>>
>>2192925
Otos will clean the glass but they need a constant food source, you could do snails.
>>
>>2192917
Yes they are underwater but they aren't fully aquatic you dumb nigger.
>>
>>2192930
Can you elaborate on constant foodsource? If I just let the algae go in my tank will they be fine?
>>
>>2192933
They'll eat all your algae and when will starve to death while you wait for more to grow. Just give them food like algae wafers.
>>
>>2192932
Well the "spiders" people link form the ocean aren't spiders in the first place. Go pick some cotton you jungle bunny
>>
>>2192935
Got it. How well do they fight for algae waffers then? Anytime I drop one in my other fish and shrimp charge it.
>>
>>2192941
Not well at all, they'll eat the leftovers though. You could also build an algae farm.
>>
File: image.jpg (352KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
352KB, 1000x563px
>>2192940
OOGA BOOGA BIX NOOD maybe you'll understand that
>>
>>2192952
I think /pol/ might be more up your alley.
>>
I need help with lighting and I'm pretty confused

I have a 20 gallon tank with a 24 inch light fixture, and there's currently a 17 watt bulb in there. I have some plants so I figured I should get a different bulb but I'm confused about what kind of bulb I need. The plants I have are anubias and staurogyne repens.

I read planted tanks should have 2-5 watts per gallon but this guy
>>2192919
said 3 watts per gallon is high light?
>>
>>2192971
Well Anubias thrives in low light.
>>
>>2192974
So that means that 17 watts is good enough?
>>
>>2192976
Yes if that's all you're growing. You'll want to move up in lighting though blah blah blah you know what I mean. I have cryptocorne, aponogeton, and onion growing in a 30 gallon with a 2 year old t-5 bulb that has lost some light
>>
>>2192978
Okay cool! thank you
>>
>>2192645
>people who actually raise feeder fish
Come on man, are you 13?
>>
>>2192982
I raised a feeder goldfish and he ended up being a 2 foot monster and still growing. Nigga greets me every time I walk past the pond.
>>
>>2192974
That's not quite accurate. Anubias can handle pretty high lighting.
>>
>>2192988
Can't afford koi huh?
>>
>>2192992
I have koi as well. I got the goldfish 6 years ago
>>
>>2192996
I suppose you really just needed to defend feeder goldfish even though you probably knew ...

Well anyways cool man
>>
>>2192971
Both those plants are low light plants.
Anything above 3 Watts per gallon is considered high. So with your current setup you should be fine although growth might be a tad slow.

As for bulb just stick with either a 6500K or 10000K like above. You wont see an increase in wattage unless there is new tech out there that I need to find out about since typically bulb wattage is constant around length.

If you are dead set on getting more light, which would allow for more plants/higher light plants just get a T5 HO with 2+ bulbs in it.

And lastly if you are loving the idea of live plants then CO2 is a must if you want to grow stuff like carpets or bigger plants. CO2 is an entirely new topic to tackle but you can make a cheap DIY yeast reactor that would be fine for your tank or just spend a tad more money and set up a tank or paintball tank set up that will allow you to do way more.
>>
>>2193008
No. I was just saying I have a feeder fish that grew pretty nice.
>>
>>2191934
Brighter lights outside the aquarium, dimmer lights within the aquarium if possible.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Here's a 10 gal I set up a few weeks ago with my gf. Thoughts?
>>
File: snoot.jpg (42KB, 600x537px) Image search: [Google]
snoot.jpg
42KB, 600x537px
>>2193008
>>2192992
>>2192982
>>
>>2193095
tetras need at a bare minimum of 4 to school with otherwise they turn into nippy dicks.

looks pretty nice tho :) I'm guessing this is your first?
>>
>>2192517
floating plants are a must if you want the guppy fry to survive. water lettuce or frogbit.
>>
File: dennerli.jpg (347KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
dennerli.jpg
347KB, 800x600px
>>2192896
for me, it would be sulawesi shrimp/caridina dennerli, but they are picky as fuck about water conditions, even more so than taiwan bees.

If you are not familiar with shrimp, start with the neocaridina genus (cheap colours are red, yellow, white, more expensive colours would be orange, blue and certain rilis).

Stay away from Caridina, unless its babaulti and Amano shrimp.

Most Caridina kept in the hobby require certain water conditions that may be harder to emulate and are in general harder to breed.
>>
>>2192896
Prawns
>>
>>2193009
Yikes I didn't even think about CO2. I'll look into it cause I would definitely love to have more plants, thanks!!
>>
>>2193129
There's actually 5 in there. Been a while since I set a tank up but I had a few when I was younger.
>>
>>2193129
>>2193170
Forgot to say, they hide in that cave and in the back sometimes.
>>
>>2193095
Are those serpae tetras and a gourami?

Serpaes can be notorious nippers, so keep an eye on them and the gourami. If his fins and tendrils look tattered etc. or if he looks stressed out.
>>
I am back, I got my gecko
>>
>>2193193
>gecko
gecko? thats cool I've always wanted a lizard
>>
File: DSCF8535-742551.jpg (180KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF8535-742551.jpg
180KB, 1000x666px
>>2193193
What kind?
>>
>>2193193
>>2193292
>>2193303
There's a reptile general. Go there and discuss please.
>>
>>2193303
gecko!

https://youtu.be/4IXfZb505zg
>>
>>2193193
>>2193292
>>2193303
>>2193307
>>2193313
Here this is the reptile general >>2185579
>>
File: 1453667017373.jpg (198KB, 1120x1144px) Image search: [Google]
1453667017373.jpg
198KB, 1120x1144px
>>2193320
>>
how do i get a 6 foot tank to my house?
it doesn't fit in my car and id rather buy a used one off someone for cheaper.

what do?
>>
>>2193332
Tie it to the top of your car
>>
>>2193333
Quads confirms.
Do it.
>>
>>2193332
Cut it in half and then tape it back together.
>>
File: 1397814177435.jpg (63KB, 604x402px) Image search: [Google]
1397814177435.jpg
63KB, 604x402px
>>2193333
>>2193349
>>2193348
y u do this
>>
>>2193176
Yeah. They seem to get along. I have another tank to move him to. It's just there's a gourami in that one already. I've heard it's not good to keep them together.
>>
>>2193332
Is there anyone you can borrow a van/truck off of?
>>
File: 1471495523512.jpg (107KB, 572x303px) Image search: [Google]
1471495523512.jpg
107KB, 572x303px
>>2193332
Get a friend with a pickup?
Put out a help wanted ad for someone with a pickup on craigslist?
>>
>>2193355
>>2193354
good ideas

another question: if i buy a drilled tank can i plug it for fresh water use assuming i can clean it properly
>>
>>2193358
ya might give this a quick look:
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/45639-sealing-drilled-holes-tank.html
>>
>>2193350
I seen this image plenty of times. Never noticed the guy forcing the ray onto the women before.
>>
>>2193358
See>>2193333
>>
File: img61748154.jpg (125KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
img61748154.jpg
125KB, 600x600px
Out of curiosity, how do you all do water changes?

I've been doing it with a 5 gallon bucket, some random tubing, and a diy gravel vacuum.
>>
>>2193350
Make sure you cut length wise and not width.
>>
>>2193320
Sorry I ruined your dead thread

>>2193292
>>2193303
It's a green betta called gecko
>>
This applies to all pets not just fish, but why do people claim they're rehoming animals on Craigslist and say there's a fee that is close to what they paid for it retail.

I hate that shit.
>>
>>2193371
bump
>>
>>2193380
Maybe because they want their animal to go to a responsible owner who can afford to pay for it rather than someone who would take a random animal just because its free/cheap?

or yknow
maybe they like money
>>
>>2193371
I use a 1 gallon plastic box I found at my parent's house and a gravel vacuum from petco
I have a small tank though, I would get a larger bucket if I needed one
>>
>>2193394
Just because somebody has money to shell out for a pet, that doesn't make them responsible. Look at all those rich fucks from Miami who get exotic pets and then dump them on the side of the road in the Everglades when they tire of them.
>>
File: 01313_iKJwpGin8zs_1200x900.jpg (51KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
01313_iKJwpGin8zs_1200x900.jpg
51KB, 675x900px
>>2193380
My sister almost bought a Maine Coon kitten on CL for several hundred bucks till I talked her out of it.
He is cute as shit though...pic related.

The ones that get me the most are the
>"Have to get rid of this pet that I've had for years just because the apartment I'm moving to won't allow them."
Like wtf? Maybe look at some different apartments! I got down to the last week or so of being kicked out of my last place to find an apartment that would allow my cat. I'm not just going to roll over on a family member like that.
>>
>>2193403
>people with more money are less responsible
>implying

I think you're confusing responsibility with losing interest. People sometimes get things and then stop caring about them after a while. Probably what happens in the example you gave. More money means better care though for those who do actually care about their pets.
>>
File: b4XU3fb.png (2MB, 1065x902px) Image search: [Google]
b4XU3fb.png
2MB, 1065x902px
>Switch to a lidless aquarium
>Find a dead cherry shrimp half way across the room every few days.

What the fuck? How are they even getting out? I've never seen them try and get out before, and they shouldn't have the strength or the will to pull themselves out of the water.

I thought I'd have an issue with the big shrimp in there like my Bamboo and Amano shrimp, since these can jump, but they're totally fine.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I picked this up for 30 bucks off a guy on Craigslist. Came with everything you see except the tunnel with the plant and that bubble waterfall thing. Also, he had just sand from Home Depot as a substrate which was too cloudy. We put in this gravel. It's mainly smaller stuff but then we added some bigger stones. Going for a riverbed feel.

He built a little shelf across the back and silicones it in, drilled holes for water exchange, and put in those plants. We're gonna put more live plants in it.

I don't like the lighting. Kinda hard to get a bar cuz the filter has to be on the side.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2193413
Top view
>>
>>2193413
>>2193415
Personally I'd take that jumbo plant out, but other than that it looks good.
>>
>>2193412
Shrimp can jump.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8ZUvDUnPEY
>>
>>2193413
>>2193415
Pretty cool find anon
>>
File: fluval-106-561-p.jpg (75KB, 594x592px) Image search: [Google]
fluval-106-561-p.jpg
75KB, 594x592px
What ever you do NEVER buy one of these filters.

They will be good up until you clean it, then it will take 30 minutes to an hour to find out why it wont reprime.

They are incredibly shitty at restarting.
>>
>>2193433
Marineland > Fluval

I've had a Marineland C220 for a year now with zero problems.
>>
>>2193433
Eheim all the way. Fuck these italian pieces of shit.
>>
>>2193378
See>>2185579
/aq/ is the most active thread on this board
>>
does a 100 gallon need 2 filters
>>
>>2193447
If you're getting that big of a tank you should take a look at getting a sump.
>>
>>2193447
Sure. But you're better off with a more a canister that is more efficient or sump which is even better.
>>
How do you keep the rim of a rimless aquarium clean?

Mine always gets dirty and water marked.
>>
>>2193433
I've had a 206 for quite a while now.
Hasn't given me a single problem
*knock on wood*
>>
I'd like to start an aquarium in the very near future, preferably for a male koi betta, now, I've done a fair bit of reading, as far as i understand ill need a 5 gallon tank, and the betta will be the only fish in the tank, ill probably need a heater of some sort, and a filter obviously. but I'm new to all this and i'd like some input, what kind of substrate would be ideal(if any?), plants, lighting, etc? If i've gotten something horribly wrong i apologize, or if a betta is a poor choice for someone with no experience let me know. Thanks.
>>
>>2193518
Substrate and lighting don't matter too much unless you want real plants. Do you? Any idea what kind?
>>
>2193519

Well idealy real ones, i thought they'd help with filtering the water? If theres no real benfit to it i guess for decoration, i was hoping for a recommendation of some that were pretty easy to care for, but anythings fair game
>>
>>2193518
Just look into buying one of those all in one set ups. Usually sold as nano aquariums. They provide everything you need and usually come with an overflow box in the back that comes with a filter of some sort. You can pick them up for around $60-80 with some nicer ones in the $100 area. Might seem like a lot but buying everything you need individually adds up too.Plus with a 5 gallon it looks and acts better to have less stuff taking up precious water space.

Here's an idea of what I'm talking about:
https://amzn.com/B00GOFS8P4
>>
>>2193533
Thats definitely worth looking into, and thats about what i figured it would cost for the gear anyway, thanks anon
>>
>>2193544
Not a good footprint unless you plan on only having a betta in there, ever- it's taller than it is wide, meaning less surface area and swimming room.

Check out anubias, they're easy and bettas love em.
>>
File: 20160818_211121.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160818_211121.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2193527
Yeah, you got the pointers. If you look for plants for beginners, also take a look into the faq I wrote in the OP, those plant species I listed are fool proof (maybe add some valisneria, I forgot to include it when I wrote the faq)

If I were you, I'd even go for a 10 gallon, more margin of error in terms of water volume. A betta is a fine fish for a beginner, so no problems there. If you wanna get fake plants, dont get plastic ones, rather silk ones (cant cut fins) but live ones are preferred, since they draw nitrates, produce oxygen and provide shade and rest.

Make sure your filter current isnt to strong since bettas dont like flow.

Betta love frozen bloodworms, cyclops, daphnia and white mosquito larvae.

As for substrate - dont get an expensive ph buffering aquascaping soil - waste of money, unless you apready have experience in scaping and need to alter water parameters (so for a beginner: no)

Sand: cheap, easy for plant roots, easy to keep clean via malaysian trumpet snails, ramshorn snails amd optional shrimp

Gravel: cheap, somewhat harder to root for finer plants, harder to clean (needs to be vaccd more often), make sure it has no sharp edges even for non bottom dwellers like the betta

Small grain porous substrate: medium price, doesnt alter water chemistry, optimized for roots, least amount of maintenance needed - my substrate of choice.

If you got any more questions feel free to ask. Many people on /aq/ own or owned betta and are willing to help.

Pic unrelated: an adult white pearl shrimp I found in my snail breeding tub that had no maintenance/filter and only plant parts for food. Guess she survived in there for months, even bred. Put her in my new 3gal nano tank.
>>
File: 20160818_120858.webm (3MB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
20160818_120858.webm
3MB, 1000x562px
I was just checking my green water, and found tons of whatever these are.
I had a few daphnia in there, but these don't look like baby daphnia to me.

Are they just copepods?
>>
>>2193545
>>2193546
I think that about covers just about everything I could imagine, and even stuff I wouldn't have thought about, thank you all very much for your help.
>>
>>2193549
Hard to make out. Sadly I'm no expert on micro organic life, but I think I have something similar in my snail tub, just a bit darker. Dont seem to bother the snails and I can just siphon them out and feed them to some of my fish who enjoy some live food.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-08-18-13h10m26s907.png (638KB, 1014x693px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-08-18-13h10m26s907.png
638KB, 1014x693px
>>2193555
I don't think they're bothering anything, there's just a shitload of them.
I tried giving some to my lone killi fry, and they're almost too small for him to see.
I wish I had a microscope to see one up close.
>>
>>2193550
Sure thing, keep us updated if you wish and remember that patience and knowledge are key in this hobby, so maybe take some time to research betta a bit more, while you let your tank cycle for some time, before you introduce the fish. I wish I could give you some reading recommendations on betta but sadly I only have german books, so you may think about this book if you wanna start out https://www.amazon.com/Bettas-Barrons-Complete-Manuals-Paperback/dp/0764147420 - I heard good things about it.
>>
>>2193549
>>2193559
ayyyyy
>>
>>2193371

Same basically. Just a DIY Center bucket and a big siphon I got at the LFS.

Ruins my back, but oh well.
>>
>>2191435
Takashi is dead nigga got over it
>>
>>2193371
Same but I'm gonna buy one of the ones you attach to your sink soon.
>>
>>2193780
I have one of those. It rocks. You can find DIY builds for cheap, too.
>>
>>2193549
Is it me, or do those look like lice trapped in the bottom of a bathtub after someone just took a shower?

I hope for your sake they are harmless, because they give me the heeby jeebies.
>>
File: 1469974133362.png (1MB, 1193x699px) Image search: [Google]
1469974133362.png
1MB, 1193x699px
Just got all my substrate put in and capped. Going to buy my lights and plants tomorrow.

The water is murky as fuck right now because I was impatient, had too much water in the substrate when I put it in, and a lot of other things that were my fault. Point is my fish are just chillin' in a big jug. Would prefer to put them back in the tank but don't want them to get too cold in there. They fine breathing in all that upset water? Gills filter out all that gunk anyway, right?
>>
File: 1394417957276.jpg (36KB, 499x386px) Image search: [Google]
1394417957276.jpg
36KB, 499x386px
Is feeding your fish live food like worms or whatever expensive? how much would it cost for a year or a month just so i can get an idea
>>
>>2193371
Two five gallons, but I use the white ones so I can see how dirty the water is (tannins and plants and whatnot.)

I'll drain 10 gallons and dump the 10 gallon sump every day (90 gallon tank) when I'm breeding, the fish always go nuts for cold water changes.

Good thing they aren't smart enough to know it isn't always spring. I hear corals need seasons or they'll get stunted and eventually die.
>>
>>2193518
Koi bettas aren't real.

They're sick/stressed marbled bettas.

Keep him alive and happy for 6 months and he'll be completely dark.
>>
>>2193545
Anubias are among the best aquarium plants no doubt, and certainly would be appreciated by any fish. but bettas like crypts and Java moss etc southeast Asian plants more.

Not simply being a snob either, I had a giant Anubias in a 10 gallon betta tank for a year, it eventually outgrew the tank. Put some crypts in there and behavior totally changed, much more activity and huge bubble nests.
>>
>>2193823
Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

I can't make any sense of any of that.

Did you rinse the substrate? Why did you already buy fish?

Try not to be so spontaneous...
>>
>>2193847
For a year, I would start breeding them myself. For a month... Just buy frozen brine shrimp unless you're gonna buy live worms every day.

Frozen worms can rarely carry some awful diseases.
>>
>>2193847
I had Congo puffer. They can be trained to eat dead food but it's a pain. But they are piscivores and eat fish exclusively. .15cent per feeder fish that wasn't a goldfish. Fill his belly with maybe 60-75 cents worth of feeder fish and don't have to eat for the next 2-3 days. Well the 1-2 inches eat everyday, 2-3 inches eat every other day to 2 days, then at 3-4 inches it's every 2-3 days.
>>
File: 41W22N72R7L._SY300_.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
41W22N72R7L._SY300_.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
>>2193371
Bought a python a few months back, best aquarium purchase ever.
probably could have gone diy with it but oh well
>>
>>2193872
We will see how long that fish lasts, eating feeder fish that are covered in disease.

"Piscavores" of course can't stomach live brine shrimp or live worms. Certainly not frozen. Oscars and mbunas only live 2 years anyways
>>
>>2193912
Thanks. My puffer is 6 years old now. You must be new to the hobby i'm guessing. Since you've never heard of quarantining.
>>
File: image.gif (1MB, 320x232px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1MB, 320x232px
>>2193912
The b8 is strong but I will resist. Should of not spelled piscivores wrong on purpose and it would have been believable.
>>
>>2193815
haha, ew.
>>
File: 1467202800976.jpg (82KB, 553x700px) Image search: [Google]
1467202800976.jpg
82KB, 553x700px
>>2193823
Soo, it's not cycled at all?
>>
>>2193855
That's pretty smart; I can't see for shit in those orange ones. I always have to slowly pour out everything but about an inch, then check to see if I'd accidentally sucked anything up.
>>
File: 1471464511550.jpg (56KB, 356x374px) Image search: [Google]
1471464511550.jpg
56KB, 356x374px
>>2193914
>Should of not spelled piscivores wrong
>Should of
>Should of
>Should of
>>
File: image.png (488KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
488KB, 750x1334px
>>2193919
Congratulations
>>
>>2193919
>trying to correct someone's grammar
>can't even spell piscivore
Hello. You must be new to the hobby and this board.
>>
>>2193921
>>2193922
"Piscivore" was not what I was calling into question.
>>
>>2193926
Yes you also know nothing of want quarantine is. Something a good owner would do before introducing feeders.
>>
>>2193913
Ah, of course he's six years old.

You have no idea what you're talking about and you feed your fish the most unhealthy shit there is, but he's lived six years.

Guess I'm btfo
>>
What does a fully grown Congo look like? Mines only an inch maybe
>>
>>2193929
Nice reading skills. You just completely skip over what you don't want to see. Nice. Maybe you're retarded. I don't know. But all I know is you've never owned a fish that ONLY eats fish. Come back when you have more experience and try to come up with an argument.
>>
>>2193930
Here's my six years old 4.5 inch Congo puffer that gets fed a horrible diet :(
>>
>>2193931
Ah, I have no experience, of course.

Piscavores from Africa only eat Asian goldfish and literally nothing else.
>>
>>2193934
This nigger thinks goldfish are the only feeders you can buy even when I stated no goldfish :-)
>>
>>2193929
Actually yes. You got BTFO big time
>>
>>2193938
So what does he eat, and where is the picture?

The original convo was of course about goldfish.

What feeder fish does your puffer eat?
>>
File: image.jpg (107KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107KB, 960x720px
>>2193933
>>
>>2193940
My lfs sells tetra culls as feeders, he'll eat the guppies that over breed in my guppy tank, and whatever tropical fish my lfs culls off for me. Of course gut loaded. And once in a while he will fuck the shit out of a frozen prawn. These fish are very hard to get onto dead foods. They don't succumb to the same problems that other fish do when you only feed them live fish when they're supposed to have a varied diet. Cong puffers also don't require the same dental care as other puffers.
>>
>>2193912
>>2193929
>>2193934
>>2193940
You're both retarded. There's a reason why Google exist.
>>
>>2193944
Don't they enjoy stalking prey anyway? I seen my friends and he had someone train it on dead food and the puffer looked miserable. Mine seems actually content.
>>
>>2193946
Yes.
>>2193945
Sorry but I take I this very seriously. I just would like people to be educated on the needs of fish and what not. Puffers are also something I'm passionate about.
>>
>>2193927
I'm not that guy, sorry.
>>
Live feeder fish are fine as a treat for most fish. Goldfish are a BIG BIG BIG no no. I know nothing about puffers though.
>>
>>2193947
Not passionate enough to show us your guppy tank or your Congo puffer though lol

Probably because he obviously isn't 6 years old to anybody that's been in the trade..
>>
>>2193950
See>>2193942
Are you retarded though? I don't think you've been in this hobby long enough. Otherwise you'd know.
>>
File: image.jpg (95KB, 2048x1783px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95KB, 2048x1783px
>>2193950
And another
>>
>>2193950
Brah you're just sitting there getting all jittery because you're "trolling" someone. I know the feeling.
>>
>>2193953
Puffers are the same size as tetras. What tetra anyways? What LFS has "cull tetras"? They buy full size fish, not fry. What do puffers eat in the wild, tetras? Guppies? These are all rhetorical questions, I'm not new.
>>
Another /Aq/ down the drain due to someone autism going off the charts
>>
>>2193952
That's a 1 1/2 inch fish. Show the whole tank lol

Don't forget your guppy tank lmao
>>
>>2193954
The questions you ask make you sound very new. Which you are. It's okay to admit when you're wrong. A 4.5 inch puffer is not the size of the tetras. My lfs breeds there own fish. The Congo puffer eats anything that swims past it. They have been found to even take chunks out of fish much larger than them. Tetras also live in the Congo river among many other fish. This is all info you'd know if you were in the trade.
>>
>>2193957
0/10 b8 bud I don't see how the other guy is falling for it. Either way your shit posting is really bad. Go back to your containment board.
>>
>>2193952
He is adorable, I would also like to see your guppy tank if that's ok?

I really regret not getting guppies when I had the chance
>>
>>2193957
>>2193960
Stop with the multiple personalities. Keep that on tumblr.
>>
>>2193960
It's just a bare bottom 20 long with a light, Java moss, and some fake plants.
>>
File: image.png (99KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
99KB, 640x960px
>>2193961
Congos prefer shrimp and snails, lol this has been fun, you lot of wannabes
>>
File: image.jpg (62KB, 495x410px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62KB, 495x410px
Nigga look at this shit. This is a Congo puffer all puffed up. You niggers need to get high.
>>
File: iamnice.jpg (141KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
iamnice.jpg
141KB, 1366x768px
>>2193961
I am not him anon

>>2193963
sounds nice, do you think congo puffers would be hard to look after for someone with not much experience?
>>
>>2193965
>Gotta fart so bad...
>>
>>2193964
Yes and goldfish need a heater in order to thrive and also need a live fish diet.
>>
>>2193966
As long as you can keep up with weekly 50% water changes then yes.
>>
>>2193968
Who, what?

What the fuck are you talking about?

Moving goalposts usually mean you at least sorta follow the argument.
>>
>>2193966
That other anon is a cunt ignore him
>>
File: image.jpg (80KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 500x667px
>>2193964
>not owning a alligator far in a 3.5 gallon tank
>>
>>2193970
>not knowing goldfish are actually tropical
>not knowing they now require live fish to thrive
The fuck off this board
>>
>>2193974
Since when was that any part of the conversation ?
>>
>>2193975
Well now it is you silly fucking goose
>>
>>2193975
Apparently since Bugguy got here
>>
>>2193957
Put your trip on so I can filter you.
>>
>6 year old puffer
>feeder fish 2-3 times a week
>quarantine tank
>guppies
So much lol I can't handle it
>>
>>2193979
-10/10 b8 m8
>>
>>2193979
You're not even trying anymore at this point.
>>
>>2193980
Still no picture of the guppy tank or a Congo snap with any sort of reference.

Strange that a person who owned a fish for 6 years never realized they don't like fish and actually prefer shrimp and snails... Seems like the LFS would have said something about 2 years after he went there 2-3 times a week...

I'm definitely trolling but these lies are pretty embarrassingly damning
>>
Just chill guys, just ignore ila/buggay, they or some other joker is blatantly trying to detract from the conversation
>>
>>2193982
I think the b8 is ineffective now. Anyone with a single cell in there brain can use google. Also put your trip on so I can filter you.
>>
>>2193982
THIS ALL PUFFERS PREFER THE EXACT SAME DIET OF SHRIMP AND SNAILS DESPITE FACTS
>>
>>2193987
Facts are facts, what do Congo puffers in the wild eat? Guppies and tetras? That would be pretty insane since they're bottom dwellers.
>>
>>2193989
YES IN THE WILD THEY ONLY EAT SNAILS AND SHRIMP THEY ALSO DONT SWIM AND WALK ON THE BOTTOM OF THE RIVER LOL
>>
>>2193989
Why haven't you put your trip back on yet? I want to filter you so I don't have I see your bad bait.
>>
>>2193989
We get it you don't have a job and live at home that's why you're on this board at this time.
>>
>>2193991
Bait like my guppy tank?

Hahaha it's so pathetic it hurts

6 years old! Muh quarantine! Tetra culls! LFS breeds tropical fish!
>>
>>2193992
Do you wanna see my house and tanks?
>>
>>2193993
>>2193994
No. I don't want to see your parents house or your vases full of bettas
>>
>>2193993
Getting my post inb4 your ban. You're acting like a nigger.
>>
Wait is he saying puffs eat guppies or something I haven't been paying attention?
>>
>>2193997
Ila is throwing out some bad b8.
>>
>>2193997
They totally eat guppies! Also tetra culls.

Put them in the quarantine tank first though
>>
>>2193997
Well everything the guy with the Congo puffer checks out. The troll is just being a "LOL I TROLLED U HARD LMAO XDDDDDD"
>>
>>2193999
>Ila
never heard of him desu

nice trips
>>
>>2194000
-10/10 b8 this I never thought I would even run into autism this strong.
>>
>>2194002
Put your trip back on
>>
File: holyshit.jpg (223KB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
holyshit.jpg
223KB, 3000x3000px
Why are you guys all jumping on this shit-tier bait?

Stop it.
>>
>>2194000
Yes we get it you are a troll and you're bored. Very funny. Maybe if you would pay attention to your fish you wouldn't have so many dying.
>>
>>2194004
I'm not him I'm asking a question.
>>2194005
this, hes really upset you all
>>
>>2194005
This. He will be banned for 30 days anyway.
>>
But they do eat guppies if they can catch them?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18nFQ1yeAl4
>>
>>2194007
>>2194009

No. You're the only one with the shitty b8 and now you're pretending to be a different poster
>>
>>2193993
This is hilarious. It's some of the saddest shit posting I have ever seen. It really shows your mental illness.
>>
>>2194010
Well reply to me and reply to him at the same time and I'll show you I'm not you stupid cunt
>>
made a new thread >>2194011 , sadly forgot the subject line

Report whoever you feel is a shitposter and move on. No need to give any more attention.
>>
>>2194014
I already have proof and I'm working on it. Give it two hours and you're going to see.

>inb4 I'm so scared xD
>>
>>2194021
Put your trip back on you melt
>>
>>2193857
Oh wow, thats some real shit. i figured something was up when i could barely find any material on them outside from petco, and some really questionable looking site, thanks.
>>
>>2194069
Yeah, many overcomplicated morph names are often a fraud and many tags are thrown around synonymously to gouge the price. It's not as bad with fish, but if you ever intend to keep shrimp, beware that many private breeders "grade" their shrimp very liberally to fuck new buyers over.
>>
Is it normal for a betta fish to sleep on the bottom of the pebbles? Mine does this most nights, but is active during the day. I heard if he's heavily breathing then it means he's sick, but he's not heavily breathing.

I'm thinking about changing the water tomorrow morning, it's been about 4 days and is a 9L tank. Should I also not feed him for a day or two to let him fast in case he's sick or what?

I was out all day so I can't really tell if he was active today, but he was yesterday and the day before.
Thread posts: 330
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.