[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why does every interesting dog require 3 hours of exercise a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: terv3.jpg (69KB, 645x380px) Image search: [Google]
terv3.jpg
69KB, 645x380px
why does every interesting dog require 3 hours of exercise a day? dogs being good pets is a meme unless you want a shitty dog

>tfw no good looking spitz who is fine with a 45 min walk each day
>>
>>2188609
Grow up, I hope you never get a dog.
>>
>>2188634

I'm not going to get a dog unless I can handle its exercise requirements, it is just a shame that if you can't dedicate lots of time your options are a faggot mini dog or a dog like a great dane which will die very early.
>>
Bullies (pits, staffies, bull terriers, etc.) are very active, but are also happy as couch potatoes. Same for many retrievers.
>>
>>2188638

aren't bulldogs and such known for a variety of health problems, i don't have too much knowledge but from what i've been reading it seems they should just let the breed die.

i think pits are banned in australia. looking at perhaps a boston terrier but i really dislike their faces
>>
File: riekendahl-eurasier.jpg (73KB, 645x272px) Image search: [Google]
riekendahl-eurasier.jpg
73KB, 645x272px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasier

Exactly what you´re looking for.
>>
>>2188654

can't find any breeders in my country (australia)
>>
So don't get a dog faggot. Dogs are for active people with time in the day to dedicate. Most dogs do not require 3 hours EVERY DAY but an hour minimum is assumed for any dog which is very little considering there are 16 hours in the fucking day. Muir probably don't even think about how many hours there are in a day and how many of them you waste playing video games and sitting on the computer
>>
>>2188667

what spitz dogs are fine with 1 hour a day?
>>
>>2188675

Chow Chows. Best dog I've ever had from a training standpoint, but very stubborn and independent so she wasn't always cuddly or lovey. 15 years old now and she's a super cuddlebug now.
>>
>>2188688

>15 years

that is really good for that breed isn't it? nice

they look a good fit for me but i do want an affectionate dog, how was yours throughout its earlier years?
>>
>>2188688
I want a chow chow so much! They look amazing. I live in Florida and surprisingly there are a few breeders down here. I didn't think they would be okay in the heat.
>>
>>2188714

One of the first things she learned was "kiss kiss" and she would always give licks. Very happy to see me when I got home from school and would want to snuggle for like 10-15 minutes then leave me alone to get undressed or do my own thing. Sometimes when I'd go in for cuddles she would walk away if she wasn't in the mood, but on the whole, she would accept scratches in her favorite places. We had this "let's be alone together" thing where we were always in the same room but not necessarily interacting every second. She let me know when she needed or wanted something.

I had 3 labs growing up and currently have a great pyr. My chow was by and large my favorite hands down because she was a great mix of independent and loving.

A warning though, chows attach to 1 or 2 people very strongly. They're not dogs you go and let strangers pet. No matter how much little kids want to pet the big fluffy bear/lion, you have to say no. My dog was good in that she would retreat when she didn't want to be pet, but I know some might snap instead, so be forewarned. They need good socialization, but they still love their one person the best.
>>
>>2188721

CA here. Their coat helps keep them cool even though they're extra fluffy, but I think the Florida humidity would be rough on them.
>>
>>2188725
Glad it worked for you, I'm not too much of a fan of the lets be alone together thing though. Perhaps a spitz isn't for me, I really admire their aesthetic though. I just want an affectionate dog that is healthy and doesn't require too much exercise whilst not being some kind of mini poodle type dog.
>>
>>2188727
Would grooming help? Like brushing out the coat every day so there's no dead fur in it.
>>
>>2188667
Wow dank autism
>>
>>2188638
Theyre really not. They are in general very excitable and active. Staffies, apbt terriers(even mixes) and boxers have been some of the most hyper dogs I've ever met. Never met or saw a bull terrier but I always wanted one. Decided against them after researching, theyre stubborn pricks but they do get that insane bully hyper mode.

Though with almost any breed, adopting an older dog may help. Also if any dog is a real coach potatoes its greyhounds. They aren't built for stamina. They tire out very quickly as long as you let them go batshit for 15 minutes and then they just drop.
>>
>>2188771
I've met plenty of chill pit mixes. Never met a hyper bulldog but they're gross.
>>
>>2188740
Standard poodles do fine with about an hour a day and are one of the healthiest dog breeds. They're not most people's aesthetic though.
>>
>>2188774
My mix is chill as fuck. He can go forever outside (he is mixed with basset so his endurance is just fucking retarded), but instead he loves to cuddle and watch TV, and is all around pretty chill.
>>
>>2188777
Checked

And while I'll understand if OP isn't interested in a poodle, I think they're worth checking out. They ARE hunting dogs, you don't have to treat it like a doll.
>>
>>2188675
I don't know where this THREE HOURS of exercise EVERY DAY meme came from, because it's blatantly untrue.

Almost all dogs have an off-switch (with the rare few that literally can't stop until they drop, but that's actually a medical condition.) Some active breeds have to learn to switch off and calm the fuck down, but it can be taught.

You shouldn't need to do more with any dog except 45 minutes good walking and a couple of play sessions and time outside to potty to break up the day.

If you do exercise the dog for three hours every day, you're setting yourself up for failure because the dog will be conditioned to all that exercise, he will expect it and without it he won't know what to do with himself, and inevitably you'll have a day where you're sick or something and the dog has to stay in. And because he's used to 3 hours, he's going to wear himself out tearing up your house.

Exercise a dog in moderation. Exceptions being active working and sport dogs, but the people who have those dogs should be experienced dog people and their dogs should STILL have off switches trained in.
>>
>>2188792
Also going to add, speyed and neutered adult dogs are more retiring than unaltered dogs, and while they may take a couple of years to truly settle into their retiring nature after the op, they're more content to nap throughout the day and be less bothersome.
>>
You could always just get a senior dog who cant walk far because of hip issues. Those bros need love too.
>>
Also dude my bff lives in aussie and was showing me dogs in shelters. So many are pitties/pit mixes but they call them 'bull arabs' its just like how many in america call them lab mixes like idiots. I dont think if a shelter can set them out for adoption that they would be banned,
>>
>>2188688
>>2188714

Yeah get an aggressive chinese guard dog and don't exercise it much thats a great idea and its aggressiveness will be exacerbated by health issues.

Great idea also its got a nice thick coat to handle that australian heat right?

Fucking idiot.
>>
>>2189010
Yeah, to be honest I wouldn't recommend a Chow Chow for a first Spitz.

Maybe a Keeshond might be more up OP's alley?
>>
>>2189040

they seem interesting will checkout, i was looking at a similar dog before (norwegian elkhound) do you think they have similar exercise requirements?
>>
>>2188609
Get a greyhound newfag
>>
>>2189096

They look like oversized rats
>>
>>2189051
From my understanding, Elkies are more intense.
>>
>>2189120
They're gentle and loving and do fine with not getting much exercise

The retired ones that is
>>
English mastiffs are couch potatoes and homebodies but bloody hell they drool
>>
>>2188662
Import
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.