[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are dogs omnivores?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: dogs are omnivores.jpg (122KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
dogs are omnivores.jpg
122KB, 768x1024px
So my dog (a Pomeranian) likes to eat: Carrots,cooked carrots,peas,sweetcorn,green beans cooked,mashed potato and many more non-meat things.If you tell me dogs aren't omnivores,then i'll not know what to say to you.
>>
I like to eat pussy, that doesn't make me a cannibal.
>>
>>2187181
My grandmother's dog used to get more excited over leftover vegetables from dinner than meat or actual dog food, so it's safe to say they really are omnivores.
>>
dog's dont have tastebuds
>>
>>2187181
They adaptrd to starchy foods and carbs, yet are predominantly meat eaters. the
>>
>>2187181
I don't think anyone would disagree that dogs can eat and enjoy fruit and vegetables. It doesn't mean they don't primarily eat meat though.
>>
>>2187181
Pretty much any pet you own (mammal) will go apeshit for cooked spaghetti, but some will not eat sauce with it.
A cat will eat a salad with a light tossing of ranch dressing, including ham and hard boiled eggs will increase your success.
>>
>>2187183
I didnt realize you were otherkin
>>
ITT: anecdotal evidence.

My kitten's favorite food is blackberry cobbler.
>>
>>2187181

Omnivore in the sense that their digestive system can process veg, yes. Their optimal nutrition diet is mostly meat though.
>>
I use to let kittens eat mashed potatoes from my mouth.
>>
>>2187312
Underrated
>>
>>2187369
I don't get it
>>
>>2187375
Probably means underrated post.
>>
File: neetdog.jpg (396KB, 1631x866px) Image search: [Google]
neetdog.jpg
396KB, 1631x866px
I can pick up a small clump of snow and call my pitbull Brutus over and she'll act like I'm offering her the most high value doggo snack in existence

Dogs aren't that smart I don't think
>>
Dogs are omni, cats are carni.
>>
I'd say no. They can eat fruits and vegetables with no real issue, but it's not entirely needed to be healthy.
>>
>>2187393
dogs are good and cool cats are gay imo.
>>
>>2187382
Clevar
>>
>>2187369
That wasn't funny or clever at all
>>
Length of digestive tract, the fact they don't produce digestive enzymes in the mouth, and dentition would suggest dogs are not true omnivores, though they may have occasional omnivorous intentions.

Rather, they are facultative carnivores.
>>
>>2187181
My dog enjoys cat shit. Should I start mixing cat shit in her food then?
>>
>>2187495
Having said this, my dogs eat berries in the summer time, and I add fresh raw carrot/pumpkin/broccoli to their food to form about 20% of the meal because a dose of vegetables every now and again has been shown to help prevent certain types of cancer.

One of mine also enjoys apple and pear.
>>
>>2187500
Shown to prevent cancer in dogs? In rats? In vitro? I doubt it
>>
>>2187506
Dogs. There's a study floating around somewhere but I don't have a link. I'm fairly certain it's the fibre content or something. I'll have a look for it, but I didn't bookmark it so I doubt I'll find it.
>>
>>2187549
Please do. I'd bet my next paycheck it's some rare cancer with a very small statistical significance.
>>
>>2187553
Study is referenced here

http://ilarjournal.oxfordjournals.org/content/55/1/100.full

Can't find link to original.
>>
>>2187568
I see nothing in there about fiber. Granted I can't search on my shitty iPod, but I skimmed the paper and it does not imply what you'd like it to.
>>
>>2187388
My favourite meme poster
>>
>>2187181
Dogs have spent so much time being domesticated by humans that they have literally been bred to survive eating human foods. But just because they don't suffer from eating fruit, vegetables, and processed foods doesn't meant they gain any nutritional value from it.

It's a common misconception, but just because you don't get sick from eating something, doesn't mean you can actually digest it and gain any nutritional value.

Think of it this way, if a dog can safely swallow and harmlessly shit out a solid rock, does that mean rocks should be included in their regular diet? Of course not.

In fact, this is why many many dogs suffer from severe food allergies, because there are so many plant ingredients and plant byproducts in commercial dog foods.

You should consider yourself extremely lucky that your dog hasn't started suffering from these food allergies. As long as none of them pop up in the future, then it is safe to continue giving your dog the occasional veggie treat.

But please, for the love of mercy, do not go full retard and try to force your dog onto a vegan diet.
>>
Thanks to humans domesticating them and feeding them our scraps, they are naturally carnivores but over tens of thousands of years have adapted to be omnivores.
>>
File: 1470955487045.jpg (154KB, 960x731px) Image search: [Google]
1470955487045.jpg
154KB, 960x731px
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.