[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is the aquarium general. Google is your friend.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 338
Thread images: 58

File: image.jpg (116KB, 1280x857px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116KB, 1280x857px
This is the aquarium general. Google is your friend.
>>
- X Edition -

Continued from X

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size
-parameters
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

FAQ Section

>How to handle algae, snails, lighting, easy plants for beginners etc.) :

http://pastebin.com/KcJUJeV7

Links:
>How to cycle your tank: http://pastebin.com/x4WnB0Ah
>General aquarium care sheets - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/
>Livestock and plants for sale - http://www.petsolutions.com/ http://www.aquabid.com
>FUCKING GOOGLE

We all make mistakes, so don't put anyone down - rather be helpful.
Chances are, you made a similiar mistake when you were starting out.

>Useful & Extensive database for aquatic plants and their parameters:

Flowgrow
http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants

>Cool Youtube Channels:

>Aquascaping -

James Findley/The Green Machine
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreenMachineLtd

Dennis Wong
https://www.youtube.com/user/xiaozhuangw

Filipe Oliveira
https://www.youtube.com/user/FaaoStudio

Oliver Knott
https://www.youtube.com/user/amanoshrimp

>Building your own shit/ Fish&Plant talk

King of DIY
https://www.youtube.com/user/uarujoey

Dustin's Fish Tanks
https://www.youtube.com/user/Dustinsfishtanks

Wayne's Fish World
https://www.youtube.com/user/samuelwaynefoleyjr

Aquarium related documentaries (German & English)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtkQ-oVBStx0EYRcwz3bHSA

KGTropicals - Mostly Cichlid Talk
https://www.youtube.com/user/KGTropicals

Lupdiesel - Shrimpkeeping/Breeding
https://www.youtube.com/user/LupDiesel
>>
You're doing it wrong, friend!
>>
>>2184523
I did not create the aqg this time, but since this one already started I just added the OP text afterwards, instead of opening a new one.
>>
>>2184524
Good on you, those links are important, at least half the questions I see posted in the thread can be answered by reading FAQ list.
>>
>>2184528
Or or or... Call me crazy but.. GOOGLE
>>
>>2184511
>not raising snakeheads from young to adulthood

Whats the point of keeping fish

Whats
>>
Anon with Bolivian ram fry from the last thread...
So the fry started free swimming and I realized they were all gonna die in the community tank so I siphoned them out and put them in a bare 20 gallon with some Java moss. This morning when I checked the tank the Rams had all teamed up and were attacking her. I pulled her out and put her in another tank but I think she's gonna die. Sucks that I'm gonna lose my first mated pair
>>
Would a female betta be okay for a 10 gallon with a small school of guppies and a very calm dwarf gourami?
>>
>>2184567
Should not have moved them. Cichlids protect there fry. You may have lost a few but you shouldn't have moved them.
>>
>>2184568
Really depends on the betta. My female was really chill with other fish but likes fucking with my shrimp. Some females can be aggressive though so it depends.
>>
File: 2016-08-05 (1).jpg (53KB, 383x512px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-05 (1).jpg
53KB, 383x512px
I posted this in the last thread, reposting now.

Any ideas what's wrong with my endler? She looks awful, but I'm more concerned about something small and white sticking out near her pelvic fin. It looks about 1mm long and doesn't have the forked ends of an anchor worm. Any ideas?
>>
>>2184680
Kinda hard to tell by the pic what it is anon. Would you be willing to pull her out of the tank and snap a really quick picture of her,
>>
i love my betta so much, he has such a horrible personality
>>
>>2184688
I tried... still impossible to see since it's so small and the same color as her.
>>
>>2184735
Just monitor it. I had guppies do this before and nothing came of it.
>>
File: image.jpg (30KB, 548x339px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 548x339px
>>2184732
>not owning betta macrostoma
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2184570
There's about 100 tetras and another two dozen plecos and corys in addition to the ...shrimp and snails... and 9 other rams. Also pretty sure there's a 5 inch prawn hiding somewhere.

The fry weren't gonna make it.

She's not dead at the moment... Here's hoping.
>>
File: Parosphromenus-deissneri.jpg (285KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
Parosphromenus-deissneri.jpg
285KB, 900x675px
Anybody have experience in keeping a liqourice gourami -Parosphromenus deissneri?

Just heard they are very fickle and need quite sour water with lots of shade. Toying with the idea of getting one one day, but still weighing my options. Imho they look beautiful.
>>
>>2184680
white spot?
>>
File: sluts.jpg (65KB, 717x960px) Image search: [Google]
sluts.jpg
65KB, 717x960px
Hey guys, my angels have bred and the eggs have hatched over night into fry. They've spawned in a community tank and this is the second time they've laid eggs. Last time I set up a small separate tank to transfer the fry to, but due to it being such short notice the fry developed fungus rapidly and died. Since then the tank has been cycling and I've had chance to properly equip it.

(I made the decision last time to transfer the eggs as the angels were being aggressive to their tankmates)

When would you say is the best time to transfer the fry? They still have their egg sacs, the separate tank's water parameters have leveled out nicely and is fully set up to rear babies in.

If you need more info just ask, thanks for the help!
>>
>>2184906
After the yolk sacs are gone. If you have a breeding pair you should really get them their own tank.
>>
>>2184927
Thanks anon, I didn't know if it'd be a regular thing or not, but yeah I will be getting them a separate tank
>>
>>2184753
I wish more pet shops stocked different species of Betta.
>>
>>2184774
Bitch ate all of her children and then an heroed.

Horrible shit man.
>>
Im interested in mystery snails because, apparently, if I get a male I won't need to worry about eggs everywhere like with Nerites.
Are mystery snails good at cleaning or should I figure something else out.
>>
>>2184995
Depends on how big your tank is, snails can only do so much. But they're great cleaners.
>>
>>2184901
You mean ich? Definitely not, there's only one spot.
>>
Is a nano cube worth getting or is it just a meme aquarium?
>>
>>2185004
Any nano aquarium is a meme, just get what you want and enjoy it.
>>
>>2184995
everything below assumes you have a freshwater tank
--------

Nerites can't breed in freshwater. You will not need to worry about nerite population in a freshwater tank.

'Mystery' (by this I assume you mean Apple snails Pomacea bridgesii) won't lay eggs if you have only one, be it either male or female. And even if you do have a mating pair or more it's easy to control the egg lays generally as they lay eggs at just above the surface level. And they do not breed -nearly- as fast or as numerous as pond or ramshorn snails.

Pomacea bridgesii is not good at cleaning. If you have glass algae at best they'll make a few thin trails through it. Primarily they just eat fish food, usually siphoning it at the surface.

Nerite snails -are- good at cleaning, however.
>>
>>2184955
True. I'd shell out the 150 for a pair of betta macrostoma
>>
>>2184955
Same, i'd love to do natural-theme small tanks with wild-type betta and wild-type snails but I don't feel like the cost and risk of buying the wild-type bettas shipped.
>>
>>2185030
I had a black algae problem. Bought 2 nerite snails and in one day they cleared almost all of it. I haven't had any algae since. But the eggs they lay are very hard to remove. But they'll eventually go away.
>>
File: image.jpg (86KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86KB, 960x640px
>>
>>2185099
>looking to buy stingrays
>local exotic fish store has them.
Well it's 1100 for a black diamond. Guess I'll have to wait a bit.
>>
>>2185109
Fresh or salt? Fresh I can get them for $100-250
>>
>>2185112
Fresh, I think they're fully grown though.
>>
>>2185004
It all depends, mostly its just style over substance, you'd get at least twice the water volume for the same price, if you don't buy a cube. But they are quite pleasing to look at and often not bad in terms of stock equipment.

If you are a beginner, rather get a used 10-20gallon and start things out from there. More water volume, allows for bigger margin of error and gives you a wider selection of livestock.

What did you wish to keep?
>>
>>2185109
Sucks m8 we have them here in Michigan for 150 for small to 300 for grown
>>
>>2184732
My betta is a bit of a ditz but I love him. He swims to the top of the tank when he sees me coming and is so focused on me he doesn't realize I've fed him so I have to tap the water next to the food to get his attention. He also eats little pieces out of my fingers. Chillest betta ever. Getting two females for my community tank this week and I'm hoping they'll have the same personality.
>>
File: rocks 1.jpg (196KB, 870x1492px) Image search: [Google]
rocks 1.jpg
196KB, 870x1492px
I've recently been collecting materials for my first planted tank, and wanted to get some rocks to provide cover and a pretty aquas cape for my fish to swim in. SO i found these outside a construction area, i'm not sure what kind they are one large piece may be slate but not positive. I will test them with vinegar later today to see if they will effect my water, but wanted to show you guys incase anyone is familiar with it.
>>
File: rocks 2.jpg (152KB, 790x1190px) Image search: [Google]
rocks 2.jpg
152KB, 790x1190px
>>2185200
I tried not to select any concrete here is the second photo, I think the slate piece is the big flat one.
>>
>>2185200
Where do you live? The rounded ones look like river or glacial cobbles, could be any of many types of stone.

The flat one at very bottom does look like a slate/mudstone.

Where you live is important, would give me an idea if what I'm looking at is limestone (raises PH) or not. That vinegar test might answer that for you, though.
>>
File: absolutedisgust.jpg (30KB, 500x368px) Image search: [Google]
absolutedisgust.jpg
30KB, 500x368px
>its another nano, shrimp, betta, planted tank episode

Why bother making a new thread
>>
>>2185229
southern texas, they came from some recent fountain landscaping i think, it was extra leftover, do you think it's safe?
>>
>>2185234
Hm, at first look south texas seems kind of sandy and quartzy, which is good. Still could be a number of things.

1. Wash them all down very well. Get rid of any that seem obviously very porous or obviously very crumbly.

2. let them sit a while, so possible living things on them will leave/die off.

3. Pour boiling water over them. (Do not boil the entire rocks, that is actually dangerous.)

Do the vinegar test to see if you have limestone (which you may or may not want depending on your aquarium plans.) Inert rocks are always good rocks, though.
>>
File: IMG_20160807_215507.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160807_215507.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
Why does my pearl weed have such small stunted leaves?

It's getting high light co2 and ferts
>>
>>2185242
Is your co2 consistent? How about the water flow in your tank?
>>
>>2185238
Should also add that if any of the rocks have obvious metallic qualities to them (like iron color/ rust) don't use them.
>>
>>2185242
It looks like your substrate is just gravel, that'll do it
>>
File: feesh.jpg (12KB, 161x117px) Image search: [Google]
feesh.jpg
12KB, 161x117px
>>2185250
how do i know if its rust? these are rocks s....
>>
>>2185230
We need a shrimp general.
>>
>>2185270
It would be obvious. Probably won't be a problem, though. And it's not really that unsafe, it's heavier metals like lead (white oxidation) that would be a problem (but also quite unlikely)

Just hose down the dirt off your rocks, get a good look at them to make sure nothing is weird/porous/brittle and you should be alright.
>>
>>2185030
I have heard nerites lay eggs everywhere that are a pain in the ass to get off. Is it really that bad? Or will your basic magnet scraper remove them
>>
>>2185260
It's complete substrate under the gravel.
>>
>>2185285
-_-

They are a pain but they eventually go away. They'll lay random eggs in random spots. You'll risk scratching the glass.

Also really man? -_-
>>
>>2185291
>>2185285
use a razor blade to get the eggs off of glass/rocks/driftwood
you wont scratch the glass unless you dig the corners of the blade into the glass, i use them to clean algae
>>
Does anyone here diy CO2? I want to start dosing my 55 gallon tank but I heard it's not worth it for larger tanks or less than 2 WPG.
>>
>>2185295
That's why your tank is scratched to hell
>>
>>2185297
>inb4 air pumps add oxygen while completely ignoring the exchange
>>
>>2184568
Would not advice, too small space, could lead to the dwarf and betta killing each other
>>
>>2185301
Extra co2 is always good, i have diy for my 150 gal, 4 bottles, works great.
>>
>>2185335
Cool! How complicated is yours? I see some that are just bottles and check valves and others setups that have way more pieces.
>>
File: quartz..jpg (115KB, 979x705px) Image search: [Google]
quartz..jpg
115KB, 979x705px
>>2185280
>>2185238

Ok so many of the rocks are fine and did not react to the vinegar and I will be cleaning then thoroughly tonight. I also had some other rocks that I believe are quartz, and online it says quartz should be fine for aquariums, but when i put it in the vinegar the stones start to bubble and react, I'm not sure if this is material and debri/algae/bacteria on the rocks reacting to the vinegar or if its the rocks themselves. this is a photos of the quartz
>>
>>2185400
At first glance that looks like quartz.

It could be marble/calcite, though- which would react to vinegar.

Test again where you're sure it's clean.

Marble would be ok for high gh/ph aquariums for certain types of fish.

Does it feel the same hardness as glass? Then it's quartz. Marble will be a bit softer.
>>
>>2185413
What would be the best way to clean it? also every stone seems to bubble. Can i tgry scratching it on glass to see if it is harder?
>>
>>2184973
Well I thought momma was about to be dead bc she wasn't moving but I put her back in the community tank and she found her mate right off the back and started uh, "cuddling."

What a fucking ordeal. Fuck fish with feelings and shit
>>
>>2185415
Just make sure it's well washed that's all. If a clean surface noticeably bubbles to vinegar it's alkaline stone, probably something like marble. Scratching it against glass (glass is same hardness as quartz pretty much) may give you an idea of its hardness (just don't go scratching your aquarium or windows now)

It's attractive stone, good for landscaping.
>>
File: 1469316130279.jpg (200KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
1469316130279.jpg
200KB, 1280x800px
>>2185423
yea Thanks anon i believe it is marble, after scratching it on some old glassware it doesn't seem to be able to scratch glass, in fact if i tap it on glass the stone break before the glass does, is marble safe?
>>
>>2185030
>nerites can't breed in freshwater
Dawww, a pleb with a shitty tank giving advice?
>>2185200
Uhh, if those are freshwater, wtf. Not remotely aesthetic.

All rocks can work though, the vinegar test is a crock of shit imo... If you know what you're doing. If you're just starting out, all you need is gravel, a single fake plant, and some zebrafish or some other bitch fish.
>>
>>2185230
It is pretty pathetic, even if it's just /r9k/ goes to the LFS.
>>
File: 1466043822083.jpg (965KB, 1201x1383px) Image search: [Google]
1466043822083.jpg
965KB, 1201x1383px
>>2185427
But I don't want fake plants anon I want real plants, Also I dont really know where in my area to find more interesting rocks and some can be expensive, so I'll just have to work with what I have.
>>
>>2185301
An air stone certainly removes co2 from a system, dumbass
>>
>>2185426
Safe for anything that doesn't require a low ph (acidic) like sensitive varieties of tetra. Do some research, look up each fish's recommedations, plan accordingly for high gh/ph.

of course you should be testing for those value after setting up the tank and before putting fish in anyway. The marble may have less or more of an effect as expected.
>>
>>2185431
With some good wood (don't cheap out on it, look up the best types and get them) and good plants those rocks should be just fine as background.
>>
I'm seeing a ton of different answers online. What's the min tank for a betta splendens? I was thinking of getting a 2.5 gal for my bedside table, but people are all over the map with the tank size for bettas. I'm seeing recommendations from 1 gallon to 12 gallons.

My idea is to turn a tallish, round or hexagon tank into a lamp. Saw one in a store, but the shade and base were fugly. Won't do it if the betta would be suffering, though.
>>
>>2185452
Aquarium-keeping is home to some of the most pissy, nitpicky people in any hobby. It's generally accepted that no vertebrate life should be put in anything under a 5 gallon. However, since bettas are so territorial that they're usually kept alone, as long as you provide good cover and do frequent water changes a 2.5 is definitely acceptable.
>>
I just bought some java moss. Can I just stick it in a container with some aquarium water and give it sunlight or does it actually need to be in a fish tank to grow healthily?
>>
File: 1421831215463.jpg (504KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1421831215463.jpg
504KB, 1920x1080px
>>2185443
I had a big peice of drift wood, but I couldnt keep it from floating in the tank, where can i find good wood?
>>
>>2185465
Did you try to glue/caulk it to something heavy? Otherwise I've heard good success with people who just find their wood on beaches and stuff
>>
File: lmao.jpg (1MB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
lmao.jpg
1MB, 1600x1066px
>>2185467
I have not tried to glue it or anything, I would really like some wood in there and not just rocks, but i guess ill have to go to the beach to find some
>>
File: image.gif (1MB, 320x232px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1MB, 320x232px
>>2185433
Boy right over ya head!
>>
>>2185427
Nerites lay eggs in freshwater. But they won't hatch. Nerite eggs need marine for hatching and the first bit of life then move onto brackish then onto fresh. This is a well known fact.
>>
>>2185431
Anon, I went to a landscaping business that had oodles of rocks. He told me usually he'll only sell in bulk but he was real nice and I walked away with 2 5 gal buckets of all sorts of rocks for literally $2.50. Idk where you are, but give that a shot. The place I went to was in Kemah/Shoreacres in Tx. I'll never buy another rock from a chain petstore again.
>>
>>2185465
You have to wait for it to get waterlogged, anon. I had two branches of manzanita in my 75gal that floated for about two weeks. One night I'm sitting on my hair and suddenly "plunk" and one went down. Just keep it in water.
>>
File: sdfsdfsf.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sdfsdfsf.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>2185474
>>2185473
The peice i was working with was very large and I think would take a long time to waterlog, also it had some burn marks on it and I don't think that would be good for the fish, guess I'll pick one weekend and go beach hunting for wood. Is it ok to set up the tank with the rocks and add the wood later? I was thinking i could weigh any wood down with rocks!
>>
>>2185475
Get some skate and anchor the wood down with either a stainless steel screw or some aquarium safe caulk. The nail would be better because it's easier to remove after its done water logging. Or just glue some rocks on or keep on top. Either way.
>>
>>2185479
Slate*
>>
I want some colorful dwarf gourami and my local fish store doesnt have any. I have no experience buying animals online? Im afraid my local 120F will kill the fish when it being delivered.
>>
What's the quickest way to kill a fish? My pearl gourami got popeye and is refusing to eat. He looks pretty bad and I hate that hes suffering.
>>
>>2185484
throw it on the skillet at medium high with some olive oil, waste nothing.
>>
>>2185486
Sounds like a great idea. I'll go heat the skillet right now. Thanks.
>>
>>2185459
Just give it some fert every now and again.
>>
Anyone ever had an outbreak of mycobacterium?

I know its incredibly rare but the effects sound horrifying and apparently the easiest way to get it is hobby aquarium keeping

I wash my hands every time I interact with my tank but I'm not sure how much that helps
>>
>>2185433
You should be beheaded for being that retarded
>>
>>2185499
It sucks. I lost function in two fingers.
>>
>>2185484
I heard you're supposed to drop them in strong booze like vodka. Little bastard'll be drunk off his fishy ass before he even knows what's what, then KO
>>
>>2185503
Jeez dude. I'm so sorry. How can you get that bacteria? Can you test for it?
>>
>>2185488
Jokes aside, clove oil, a bucket, an air stone and water.
>>
>>2185507
The quickest way to do it is a sharp blade right behind the gills. It's also painless and quicker than clove oil. Or throw them in a dumpster or closet body of water. Out of site out of mind.
>>
>>2185484
Depends on what you have available.

Pretty much anything can kill a fish.

Go rent a 100% oxygen tank from an industrial supply warehouse, and attach it to an airstone, and crank the valve.

Be careful of open flames.
>>
>>2185484
All the stuff I looked up basically said
>very cold water/freezer
>something about clove oil
>pithing the fish

Pithing was a little brutal for me, my dwarf gourami was very sick as well, I think iridovirus

>>2185506
look up mycobacterium Marinum, you catch it just working with your aquarium and its really rare but it can ruin your hand for good

effect actually looks similar to a brown recluse bite I saw before
>>
>>2185518
shit dude, guess from now on I'm only reaching into my tanks with ol' lefty.. just in case
>>
File: t3_4t96sy.jpg (54KB, 721x528px) Image search: [Google]
t3_4t96sy.jpg
54KB, 721x528px
>>2185518
>>2185518
best way to prevent it? just thoroughly washing your hands after working in it?
>>
File: IMAG2893.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG2893.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
>>2185475
Oh ok well I didn't see if you mentioned that! Yeah man of course, weigh it down. I cut up a new piece for mine and I'm weighing it down with rocks at the moment because I tied some anubias to it.

Here's a shot.

I just put in root tabs today, and the tank looks cloudy, even though the pic doesn't show it. The directions said put six in a ten gallon, is that right? Or did I do something horribly wrong?
>>
File: betta-fish-3.jpg (34KB, 550x343px) Image search: [Google]
betta-fish-3.jpg
34KB, 550x343px
My male betta looks pregnant, just like pic attached. Could this be from over feeding? He always eats the cories food so theres not much I can do if it is.
>>
>>2185603
Over feeding or a fluid sack, most likely over eating. Mine has the same issue, but it's been going down slowly since I've cut back on his food. Try feeding your betta first, then wait a couple minutes then feed the cories.
>>
File: ss+(2016-08-07+at+11.42.05).jpg (111KB, 461x615px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-08-07+at+11.42.05).jpg
111KB, 461x615px
Ma kreb is getting pretty filled into her current shell. Pretty much any turbo shell I can find is about as big as the one she's currently in. Probably going to have to move to a conch shell of some sort. Any suggestions? I've got no idea what they'd move into in the wild.
>>
>>2185611
In the wild they move into whatever shell they can. They're not picky.
>>
>>2185611
whats a kreb?
>>
File: 1467876324964.jpg (96KB, 471x626px) Image search: [Google]
1467876324964.jpg
96KB, 471x626px
>>2185612
Yeah, I figured. But after these 4-5 inch turbo shells.. it's only 8-10 inch conch shells. Seems like I can't find a shell that is a nice middle ground.

>>2185613
krusty kreb?
>>
My BGK just died on me for no reason while I was out of town for the weekend . No idea why. Nothing changed in the tank feeding was kept up with. I don't get it. Pretty sad about it.
>>
>>2185614
oh right yeah, I didn't know crabs needed shells

>>2185616
I'm really sorry to hear that anon

I don't own fish but I have a 10 gallon tank in my garage. Could I keep dwarf frogs in this? If thats to small is there anything else cool I could keep in it?
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-17+at+02.08.58).jpg (147KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-17+at+02.08.58).jpg
147KB, 600x600px
>>2185617
Just hermit crabs as far as I know.
>>
>>2185618
Thats very cute anon, has a nice shell.
Are those nice blue fish its food though or does it leave them alone?
>>
>>2185619
Usually doesn't bother with them. They are too fast for it. Crabs are pretty clumsy as far as I can tell.
>>
>>2185484
Put it into a plastic bag to avoid mess and hit it in the head with a large rock.
>>
File: hopehesok.jpg (1MB, 1750x2000px) Image search: [Google]
hopehesok.jpg
1MB, 1750x2000px
Got some pictures of my bloated betta

Can anyone confirm overfeeding?
>>
>>2185617
Really sucks because I waited forever to get it. And I wouldnt do dwarf frogs in a 10 gallon. I've always been told to do a shallow tank for them because they drown easy but I'm not sure how true that is. You could do a cool red claw crab tank with that though.
>>
>>2185518
Jesus thats horrible, I never wash my hands after putting my hand in my tank
>>
>>2185484
I had to cull a guppy with a very disfigured, "C" shaped spine, so I used a knife behind the gills. It was sad but it was quick and (hopefully) painless
>>
>>2185468
Be very careful, drift wood from beaches could contain a lot of salt that can kill anything/everything in your aquarium.
>>
>>2185483
Maybe wait till its cooler 120 sounds insane? What other fish does your lfs have? If you buy shrimp and fish online, you can usually talk to the seller and ask if they could insulate your package.
>>
File: 1267993526548349.jpg (33KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1267993526548349.jpg
33KB, 500x333px
>>2185611
You know what you have to do...
>>
>>2185622
Here's what you do, go to the store, buy some frozen peas. Bring them home, throw four or five in a small pot of boiling water. Once they are all thawed out, cut them open and remove their goopy insides. Mix a very small pinch of garlic powder in with goop. Mix thoroughly. Divide goop up into iddy biddy bite sized pieces. Feed to betta. Wait. Watch betta drop the biggest shit you have ever seen in your life. Enjoy happy bloat free betta.

For best effect, don't feed him for an entire day before you give him the shelled peas. Also, to prevent this from happening in the future, make sure you have a regular "skip day" each week, where your fish don't get fed.
>>
>>2185617
10g is fine for 3-4 dwarf frogs. That drowning thing is a myth. I hade many during my youth and even bred them. Currently I still have 3 in my planted tank.

Dwarf frogs can be kept on any substrate thats not sharp (duh) but I would not advise to use gravel, since they are messy and you will need to clean that often. Rather use sand or anything small grain, so the detritus can be taken care of by a cleanup crew of malaysian trumpet snails, ramshorn snails, nerites etc and maybe some amano shrimp.

In general dwarfs are very undemanding. Feed them frozen bloodworms, keep water clean (don't have too much flow) and provide shelter cover via plants, caves/driftwood/rockwork.

You could also keep firebelly newts in there, but they are more sensitive towards temperature and need a land-area. Your choice.
>>
I'm looking into starting up my first tank with a few small schools of tetras, some corys, a dwarf gourami or two, and possibly some shrimp.

I see a lot of people recommending planted tanks, but I am a shit gardener and am almost never successful at growing plants, so I worry I would mess up aquatic plants too. Is there any real need to have real plants (vs. fake plants?) If I can have a successful tank with fake plants I might prefer doing that rather than dealing with the hassle of real plants. Do I need to have real plants?
>>
>>2185634
>throw four or five
whoa nigga, he only needs one pea
>>
>>2185665
You don't need to get real plants but there are plants that can't be fucked up as long as you have some sort of light, like java moss, java fern or anubias or easy stems like elodea and cabomba. Nobody expects you to go full high tech aquascape when they recommend live plants.

In general its just more beneficial for you tank health since plants produce some oxygen and clear the water of nitrates. Fake plants also could cut the fins of your fish, if you get cheap plastic ones, so you may want silk plants, but they are almost on same price level as real plants and a bitch to clean.
>>
>>2185687
>Fake plants also could cut the fins of your fish
Oh jesus, that's scary.

I guess I might try some real plants. I do like the look of the moss a lot.
>>
>>2185688
Sure. If you need help, feel free to ask. Java moss is dirt cheap and can be attached to your whole wood/rockwork. Since you wanna keep shrimp, its also beneficial for them and baby shrimp as a hiding place and source of biofilm/micro organisms to munch on. If you are concerned with fish preying on your baby shrimp, you may also wanna look into boraras (brigittae, maculatum, merah, micros etc) instead of tetras - they are less prone to hunt shrimp since they are smaller.
>>
>>2185457
A 6 oz cup is also acceptable for a betta.
>>
Didn't realize the last thread maxed out so repost:

I keep hearing yes and no answers depending on the site I check so I'm asking here for hopefully more straightforward answers.

Can I house female bettas (2-3 at most) in a 20G tank with platties and mollies? Everywhere I look it's either "Females will attack everything and each other!" or "Yeah sure it's fine." with information that contradicts itself between the two.

I'd get one female but once again, when I was checking sites they told me to get a few because they'd bully everything if I had a certain number but if I had another certain number they'd turn on each other. Meanwhile, other sites said it was fine and you can have as many as you want as long as the tank is big enough and planted.

Why is betta shit so confusing? Is it just as >>2185457 says or what?
>>
>>2185740
As betta keeper:

It all depends. Betta females can be chill, but they can also be assholes, same as males, just a lower chance of the going psycho.

When you structure your tank properly and supply enough hiding places, you can break up aggression that way.

As for tank size: 2.5gal can work for a single betta, if you know what you are doing, in terms of maintenance and supplying places to chill for the betta, but a 5 or 10 is a safer bet, especially for beginners, since it has more water volume that can act as a buffer.
>>
>>2185745
That's actually better to hear than the flip-flop of yes/no that I got for an hour while Googling. The roommate is crazy about betta and wants some bright colored females in the tank so I wanted to make sure they wouldn't outright massacre everything else. The tank is pretty well planted and the fish already in it hide and sleep in a hollow decoration that fits 3-4 at a time so I think they'll be alright if I can manage to pick a chill betta.

So far I've seen that I should get at least four female betta at once (since 2-3 would fight with each other) to put in the tank but that worries me since they'd almost outnumber what's in there already.

Am I right in thinking my best bet would to just get one female betta that's a different color from my other fish and call it a day?
>>
>>2185745
my first ever betta when I was 14 was in a 2.5 gallon. He was fine but bigger is better. I will say this, if you do want 2.5 get a pet shop betta

few reason
will be use to small spaces, 2.5 will probably be quite nice for it
Likely to be more hardy
If you do mess up its cheap
>>
>>2185751
>>2185740 here and I do have a male betta in a separate 2.5G tank that I got from a petshop in a tiny cup. He's been with us for two months now with once a week water changes and he's the best behaved thing I've ever seen. I've honestly been tempted to put him into the bigger community tank simply because I think he'd get along fine and any bullying would probably be directed towards him.
>>
File: IMG_20160808_022358.jpg (4MB, 4249x2988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160808_022358.jpg
4MB, 4249x2988px
Post pictures of your happy bettas, boys
>>
My dwarf gourami is swimming all retarded and is probably going to die soon. I'm guessing it's DGIV. I don't really see any notable symptoms except he generally just looks sick as shit and has been deteriorating over the past several days.

Should I euthanize him?
>>
File: 1440358639048.jpg (125KB, 900x652px) Image search: [Google]
1440358639048.jpg
125KB, 900x652px
Need a fish ID, a silver dollar that looks exactly like pic related came free with my tank, but I'm not sure which species he is, anyone know? I wan't to get him some buddies.
>>
File: 1469944902145.jpg (74KB, 360x899px) Image search: [Google]
1469944902145.jpg
74KB, 360x899px
>>2185799
Mine did the same thing but I couldn't bring myself to kill him

Found him floating one morning, he was the best fish I ever kept :(
>>
>>2185751
My first betta was a 3.5 inch giant plakat in a 55 gallon. I had it set up to be all "zen" black sand, piece of driftwood on slate, nice rock set up, and lights set up to look like moon light. Probably the most calming thing to watch him swim through that tank and explore everything and keep the other fish in check.
>>
>>2185697
Piss off, you communist scum.
>>
>>2185799
Flush him down the toilet into the great beyond.

All these posters about how to most humanely kill off their fish. Jeez, the traditional toilet method is the best one. Duh. Birth by water, death by water!
>>
>>2185748
My advice would be, try your luck with 4 females but ask the store on their return policy, if they take back the psycho ones or keep another small tank or someone ready, that can house them, if things go south.

There's things you can just figure out via observations where you have to act according to your fish behaviour.

Do you, by any chance have a shot of the community tank you wanna keep them in?
>>
>>2185832
How big is he? Dollars get fucking huge.
>>
>>2185861
I'd be getting them from Petsmart who does have a return policy, thankfully.

And I actually took a picture of my tank in the last general. It's >>2184416 and currently has one molly and four platty. I'm waiting until the end of the week to make sure my tank is 100% clean before I get more fish. So far so good though.
>>
>>2185860
Birth by water, death by Viking funeral
>>
>>2185860
You flush them after they die, not to kill them. That's death by sitting in a septic tank full of piss and shit until you're poisoned, and that's not humane
>>
>>2185872
>can't take a joke
I posted that comment just for people like you.
>>
File: It'sFeedingTime.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
It'sFeedingTime.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
After all this time I still don't know how much to feed them. I normally drop one shrimp pellet in at 12:00 to get their attention then drop another two in when both of them go for it. Then at 9:00 I do the same thing. Lately they are either sleeping or eating and they never miss a meal. They aren't glass surfing as much anymore I don't know why.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
Update on beautiful reef jar:
Added little stone
Added little xenia
Added little montipora
Little algea appeared
>>
>>2185880
I t-thought you were serious :(
>>
>>2185888
I was :]

>>2185871
Fund it
>>
File: corynactis.jpg (127KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
corynactis.jpg
127KB, 500x333px
>>2185884
just discovered a little corynactis came in with the stone
>>
>>2185869
I wouldn't advise bettas with mollies. They might attack the poor mollies because they look so similar.
>>
>>2185894
Thanks anon. I was iffy before but the molly was there first so I guess I'll see about getting some platty/molly friendly fish in the colors we want to put in the tank for now and see about getting another tank for a betta sorority later on when there's a tank sale.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
This is my tank. Don't be too impressed all at once everyone!
>>
>>2185634
that is way too complicated man. there is also no proof that garlic has any benefits for fish- and if there was, it'd be raw garlic, not powdered.

>>2185687
I fucked up java moss. It got covered in hair algae.

>>2185665
Real plants have some benefits, but there is absolutely no need for you to have real plants. Your tank will be absolutely fine without it. The cut fins thing mostly just happens to betta fish.
>>
>>2185898
Jeez man. At least go find some smooth rocks outside and throw them in there. Boil them first, though. You just set it up? Cycling it?
>>
>>2185898
Why does nobody on this board paint the back pane? That visible cord shit is so tacky.

It's like you guys don't care about aesthetics at all
>>
>>2185909
>back panels
>aesthetic
lol
>>
>>2185862
About six inches.
>>
>>2185909
My plants will eventually cover the wire. No point in painting that shit.
>>
>>2185909
i just grow some nice thick background plants, hygrophilla difformis and ludwigia repens works for me
>>
>>2185909
I like to paint three sides leaving one of the smaller panes for viewing. It helps create a sense of depth in smaller tanks.
>>
>>2185929
I like to paint all four sides!
>>
>>2185938
I paint the bottom and the lid too. The fish may die every two days, and all the plants rot, but at least I'm not smalltime like you, senpai.
>>
>>2185909
>having any equipment in your display tank
>not using a sump or canister to hide your crap
>>
>>2185995
Not all of us have room for a sump and fancy things like that anon.
>>
>>2185891
That's pretty cool. I got something similar from my last batch of rock. Not a nem I don't think, maybe a coral. Just a tiny little wad of tentacles.

Can't seem to get a good pic of it though.
>>
File: c7_ag__01520.jpg (225KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
c7_ag__01520.jpg
225KB, 800x600px
>he's never had the joy of growing on Hoplias Wolf Fish

Enjoy your shrimp faggots
>>
>>2185898
how big is that and whats it for?
>>
File: 1469316422041.jpg (40KB, 600x654px) Image search: [Google]
1469316422041.jpg
40KB, 600x654px
ID this fish please?
>>
File: vomit.jpg (48KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
vomit.jpg
48KB, 1200x675px
>barely know anything about fishkeeping
>okay a video profile on otocinclus, cool I was thinking about getting some lets have a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2vKPsiBbTk

DEAR FUCKING GOD I JUST WANTED TO SEE SOME GODDAMN FISH NOT SEE SOMETHING SO FUCKING HORRIFYING
>>
File: 1464388448014.jpg (306KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1464388448014.jpg
306KB, 1920x1080px
>>2185898
I think that looks pretty anon, you should get measurements for the back pane and put something like this on the background

I like simple stuff like that
>>
>>2184511
I heard on /co/ that dolphins have very good control of their vaginal muscles and can flex or relax them to increase sexual pleasure I also heard dolphin females secrete a substance that can allow you to cum for like 30 minutes. How much of this is true? How much is bullshit? I also heard dolphins are crazy strong and a tail whip from them can break your spine. If I fuck a dolphin would it try to kill me? Would the dolphin enjoy it?
>>
>>2186166
>talking shit about Rachel

anyways don't get otos they're not good beginner fish at all and are very sensitive.
>>
Planning on going for a low tech plant setup. Right now I'm trying to figure out how I want to handle my lights. The 10g tank I'm planning it for is in a pretty tight spot with not a lot of room.

https://youtu.be/CzuMWPOVSVs

How do you guys feel about this guys setup? Seems pretty legit. Just put a fluorescent bulb in there and call it a day?
>>
>>2185688
>>2185687
Dude, just buy a few marimo moss balls and toss them in your tank. Rotate them every time you do a water change.
>>
>>2186181
Also I forgot to add that I checked on Wikipedia page but the reproduction section didn't have any info about this
>>
>>2185901
>that is way too complicated man.

Compared to what? How the fuck can you buy an aquarium, all the plants/decorations/substrate of said aquarium, cycle the said aquarium, buy the fish for said aquarium, and yet boiling a fucking frozen pea is too god damn complicated?

You're autistic, aren't you?
>>
>>2186166
What the fuck is your problem? She clearly knows what the fuck she is talking about.
>>
>>2186187
Yeah, do that, with a Daylight CFL bulb from walmart in each lamp.

I've seen other anons in /aq/ do that too, works great. The only complaints I've ever seen are that it "looks ghetto as fuck, yo" but really, who gives a shit? If your fish and plants are happy, that's all that matters.
>>
>>2186202
>looks ghetto as fuck, yo
lol.. Well thankfully not many people will see it besides me. I'll go that route then.
>>
File: PsShG.jpg (32KB, 500x356px) Image search: [Google]
PsShG.jpg
32KB, 500x356px
>>2186200
>She clearly knows what the fuck she is talking about.

She should stick to only talking, then.
>>
>>2185620
>They are too fast for it.
lol
I had one of those crabs for a few months. Started off too slow to catch the damsels, and by the end of six months he was picking off one or two a day.

I eventually stuck in him in a 15g all by himself so he'd stop eating the expensive fish. He gutted a flame angel and I had to move him.
>>
>buy cup noodles
>make yourself cup noodles
>take a pea out of noodle cup and toss it to constipated betta
>vacuum gravel in the morning

done
>>
>>2186181
>>2186193

look kids, a dolphin-fucker! you know what to do, let's all point and laugh!
>>
File: 91+ww9m-NuL._SL1500_.jpg (446KB, 1643x1500px) Image search: [Google]
91+ww9m-NuL._SL1500_.jpg
446KB, 1643x1500px
So can I mix these two? Should I only use one?
>>
File: a.jpg (494KB, 1024x761px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
494KB, 1024x761px
>>
>>2186285
Is it true that fucking a dolphin can permanently damage the nerves on your dick?
>>
>>2186004
if the tips are fluorescent it might be corynactis
they prefer to live in the shadow and are rather tiny
hopefully no Aiptasia

getting new liverock is the best part in saltwater
>>
File: 1451715221695.jpg (103KB, 500x413px) Image search: [Google]
1451715221695.jpg
103KB, 500x413px
>>2185832
Anyone got any idea?
>>
>>2185832
I'd say some characin

does it have teeth?
>>
>>2185832
I'm sadly not a silver dollar expert. All I know is that most get quite big and will outgrow most small to medium sized tanks, if you wanna keep a school, so tanks of 55gal+ are recommended, How big is your tank?

since it has an orange marked caudal fin, my guess would be mylossoma duriventre.
>>
>>2186361
I have a 100gal, I don't think it's Mylossoma, wrong body shape, but thanks for your help.
>>
>>2186392
sure, hope you find the right species. It can often get confusing. Just recently tried to get some boraras brigittae but in most fish stores they are lumped in together with boraras merah cuz they look so similiar.
>>
I bought an Amazon Sword for my tank from a pet store and when i opened that it said its an Oriental sword instead. How fucked am I
>>
>>2186404
Got any pics? I figure it's still in its emersed form.

Does it look like this? http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=768+1632+2957&pcatid=2957

If you want it to get pink and big, you need higher lighting, otherwise it will grow just the same as a normal echinodorus.
>>
http://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/aquarium-accessories/aquarium-tanks-and-cabinets/aquarium-kits/ciano-aqua-20-led-white

Any big things I can keep in here? Like a massive shrimp or a small crab?
>>
>>2186479
Maybe a small crayfish, but judging from the .co.uk, you're a bong, in which case, crayfish are illegal there.
You could possibly keep some vampire shrimp if you maintain a good enough water flow.
>>
i have a 10gal tank, can I add 4-7 ghost shrimps?
I have:
2 mollies, (black and dalmatio)
1 platy (red wag)
5 tretas (serpae)
2 Amano shrimps
I know I'm on my bioload limit,( i wouldnt get more after this) but my tank is planted/kinda carpeted and water changes keep levels low
I'm mostly asking if the tank mates are well, they all get along, my biggest fish is a 1.5 inch molly all others are 1 inch or slightly smaller
also, should ghost shrimp get kept in groups? and are fish flakes and a bit algea enough for their diet?
>>
Is there anything I can put in a coldwater tank to eat the algae on the glass that won't get destroyed in 10 minutes by my goldfish? Those fuckers are like piranhas.
>>
File: image.jpg (768KB, 2201x3011px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
768KB, 2201x3011px
Have you ever seen a shit this big in your life? This has been happening for the past month, anyone know why? No change in diet or behavior
>>
>>2186559
Ghost shrimp and contribute pretty much no bioload.
>>
>>2186606
Constipation or an internal parasite.
>>
>>2186613
do you know about how many I should have? like, what is the max or min, sorry, im a noob
>>
>>2186616
Ya but why would he be constipated if his diet is the same as always?

Also none of my other fish have this problem but recently my other angelfish has been chewing the food and then spitting it back out. Do they have parasites then?
>>
File: 1452252967245.jpg (163KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
1452252967245.jpg
163KB, 1024x682px
>>2186575
Maybe hillstream loaches, not sure how aggressive gold fish are as I've never kept one, but hillstream loaches require the same water temp/pH as goldfish, but you'll need to make sure you can maintain high water oxygenation and that the temp doesn't get too high.
>>
>>2186575
>>2186643
Oh yeah, and certain snail species, such as pond snails, but I'm not sure how a goldfish would react to them.
>>
>>2186000
A canister filter/sump typically goes under the tank...
>>
>>2186632
If you're feeding him flakes or freeze dried foods he'll eventually get constipated. If you had him for awhile I doubt it's parasites.
>>
>>2186622
Max probably 50-60, if you only had shrimp you could have 400 ghost in there.
>>
>>2186666
what should i feed instead
>>
>>2186666
Yea I've had him for a while. And I only feed him frozen bloodworms and frozen veggies/plankton mix, skipping feeding once a week. It's a mystery
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Starting a new aquarium project. Right now it is pretty shitty, but it's just day two. It's a 20 gallon with two moss balls, three water wisteria, and some dwarven hair grass. I'm going to get new lights next week because these ones are shit, and add a couple Amazon swords. Anyways, I just wanted to share with you guys and I'll post my progress whenever new shit gets added. Also, are a handful of Amano shrimp better than a shit ton of ghost shrimp for algae control? I'd have to get the amanos online, but I'm willing to if they're worth it.
>>
>>2186714
That's a cool rock formation thing
>>
>>2186484
thank you, also crayfish are not illegal here. As long as the breeder has permission
>>
>>2186666
nice evil quads!

>>2186194
I take a frozen pea and take the skin off, then remove it in a few hours. why mash several together? that doesn't do anything. there is no reason to put garlic powder in anyways.

>>2186202
>>2186218
there's plenty of DIY stuff you can do to make it look better, like pic related.
>>
>>2186222
You clearly didn't even watch the video, the vast majority of the film she is completely off screen and all you see are the fish.

Do everyone a favor and go sterilize yourself so future generations don't inherit your stupidity.
>>
>>2186714
Get a shit ton of amano shrimp. Shrimp are so low on bioload you won't regret it. Plus, if you're ordering online, then it increases the chance of having at least a few survive in case anything fucked up happens during the shipping process.
>>
>>2186668
damn, thats a lot, I think Ill start with 20, my local pet store has them for 20 cents.
thanks a lot for the info
>>
>>2186668
400 in a 10 gallon? Pretty sure they'd be stacked on top of each other.

Also, be careful with 20 cent feeder shrimp. I had to tear apart my 150 gallon because some of the ghost shrimp I bought were straight up prawns that grew 3 inches in like a month and were utterly destroying my 3 year old plants and hunting my diamond tetra babies.
>>
File: image.jpg (67KB, 691x578px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67KB, 691x578px
>>2186006
>thinks owning a wolf fish is fun
>has never owned a bowfin
>>
Anyone use dirt in their planted tanks? I'm thinking of going dirt -> fluorite -> sand
>>
>>2186720
Thanks! I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. it is on Petsmart's website as "Top Fin Greenery Driftwood" for $35.
>>2186733
Will do, thanks anon!
>>
>>2186753
Many people have tons of shrimp in small tanks, as long as you have enough hard scape and plants you'll have enough space.
>>
I haven't found a solid answer, so I'm just asking here.

I need a quick, humane way to end a crayfish's life. My filter apparently has been off for a week and the water quality went to hell. Poor fucker can barely stand up right now. I just got everything back up and running, but I'd like to be prepared if there's no improvement.

Oddly, my little Tetras appear to have given no fucks about the water quality.
>>
>>2186791
Put him in the freezer. He should die after a few hours, otherwise crush him. Temps should be below 35 degrees farenheit.
>>
>>2186798

I'll keep that one in mind.

Partially hoping he dies so I can actually get more fish. Been eye-fucking some eels lately, but I think my tank is too small as is.
>>
>>2185484

Clove oil works. Put it in a cheap plastic critter keeper, add some tank water, and then put a few drops in. Add more as needed.

Never use that tank as anything but a kill-tank after. Clove oil is a bitch to wash out.

I did this to a herd of C-spined guppies.
>>
>>2186798
Fuck boiling water would be much quicker than that hell
>>
>>2186808
Putting a crustacean in boiling water is not humane.

Looks like clove oil is the best home method for killing crustaceans (I had to google it). Or, just put him in a bag and smash it.

>>2186800
How big is your tank?
>>
>>2186613

But they can be fucking assholes.

Especially when they're "ghost shrimp" like Petsmart's stock.
>>
>>2186808

Freezing them is basically putting them to sleep for good. Boiling is not.

>>2186814
13 gallons. All it has right now is the hospice crustacean and 2 Tetras.
>>
>>2186821
Yeah, that's why you only keep ghost with big fish, that guy should just get more amanos or red cherry.
>>
>>2186832

I had a few "ghost shrimp" murder my Kuhli Loaches. I had 3 and 2 were dead by the next morning. They died trying to burrow away, I managed to return 1 to the store.

I ended up catching all the shrimp, gave some to my mother to start a small 2 gallon just for them, and then proceeded to piss on, bleach, and WD-40 the remaining few before flushing them.

Fuck those vermin.
>>
File: image.jpg (800KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
800KB, 3264x2448px
I found this small chip underneath the silicone while I was in the process of resealing my 56g. Is there anyway to fix this without replacing the entire pane?
>>
>>2186835
Tin foil hat.
>>
>>2186782
But 400 in a 10 gallon? What about the tank would even be enjoyable?

Two thirds of them would die within a week. The amount of shit you'd have to feed 400 shrimp and the waste they would produce is way above the nitrogen cycling capabilities of a 10 gallon tank, unless you had like a 40 gallon sump.

And I've never seen any of you faggots post more than 30 rcs, so don't pretend like there are people with 400 inbred diseased feeder shrimp.
>>
>>2186833
Those were probably prawns.

There are several completely different species of transparent shrimp, "ghost" and "glass" shrimp are quite peaceful. I have 8 in a 10 gallon with my betta.
>>
>>2186835
seal over it, it literally doesn't matter.

all my tanks have chips I've resealed over.

unless it's a crack you don't have to replace it.
>>
>>2186853

Probably. Like I said, they were Petsmart "Ghost Shrimp."
>>
>>2186853
>>2186865
No. Not prawns. Macro shrimp. They're very aggressive and get mixed in with ghost shrimp commonly.
>>
>>2186822
Freezing them takes too long and is exteremelt stressful. Boiling them will kill them almost instantly. Or a just a quick hard stomp will put them out.
>>
File: image.jpg (296KB, 1007x910px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
296KB, 1007x910px
>>2186814
Neither is freezing them to death.
>>
>>2186773
Everything you need to know right here.

>http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/library/52554-how-mineralized-soil-substrate-aaron-talbot.html
>>
>>2186773
>>2186901
Forgot to add, if you are going to cap your substrate with anything, (that guy uses a very fine gravel for instance) I would make sure to bury the plants in properly BEFORE capping, let alone adding any water. Otherwise you are just going to end up with a cloudy soupy ugly primordial mix of substrate and capping material.
>>
>>2186753
>>2186821
>>2186832
>>2186833
>>2186853
>>2186865
>>2186875
lol wtf
Im the guy who wanted to buy 10-20 ghost/gass shrimp for my 10gal tank, just to have a little more life/movement in my tank and because my petsmart sells them for 20 cents,
now I hear they grow up to be large and are agressive? My fish are mollies, tretas, and a platy, mostly 1 inch large, will they get assaulted by the ghost shrimp? and do they grow large quickly? I thought they were small... theyre like .5 or .75 inches at the petstore
>>
>>2186906
and are there any oother shrimp that are cheap and small as an alternative??
>>
>>2186906
Learn to read dude. Pet stores sometimes mix in prawn with the ghost shrimp/glass shrimp which end up fucking up aquariums. Ghost shrimp and glass shrimp are still fine, you just have to make sure you know what you're getting.
>>
>>2186906
Ghost shrimp are fine and are scavengers. Glass shrimp are aggressive towards each other and sometimes mixed in with ghost. Prawns sometimes as well but not very common. Prawns are predators.
>>
is it true bettas can live with white cloud mountain minnows?
>>
>>2186961
I'm gonna say no, white clouds are cold water fish and won't do well in the Temps bettas are kept in.
>>
>>2186961
They could, but one species would have to suffer, since betta like wamer temperatures, while minnows enjoy colder temperatures.
>>
what would you guys say is the best schooling fish?

I'd say cories
>>
>>2186722
You need a license to own 'non-tropical' species. Unfortunately, the organisation in charge of labelling crayfish have been lazy fucks and so far have only classified Cherax quadricarinatus as tropical and haven't bothered to even look into any other species. The issue is that Cherax quadricarinatus grows to about a foot long and will eat anything you put in the tank with them.
>>
>>2186968
cories or loaches for me. Loaches are more playful, but also don't school as tight.
>>
>>2186975
Yeah they're my second favourite.

I have a 20 gallon with 10 cories and a 20 gallon with 4 loaches and a spare 10 gallon and I want some more schooling fish
>>
>>2186906

The prawns and macros will get an inch or so at max. They breed fast and pretty often.

Do yourself a favor and get something like cherry shrimp if you can.

"Ghosts" will harass anything they can catch and have been known to pull younger fish out of the water and eat them alive.
>>
File: 7e1.png (757KB, 706x608px) Image search: [Google]
7e1.png
757KB, 706x608px
>happen upon tiny 3/4 inch doviis at the store
>get one because I've wanted a dovii for ages and they never pop up, wasn't expecting this
>only place to put it until the new tank is set up tomorrow was in my community tank with tetras and cories and etc
>hoping I won't come home from work to find everything all fucked
>>
>>2186988
man, I hope you have a big enough tank and filter. These guys are literal monsters or at least can be, when they are grown.
>>
File: frogs.jpg (76KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
frogs.jpg
76KB, 640x360px
I have a 20 gallon with a betta, 6 albino corys and a few snails. What else do you think I should add? I kind of like dwarf frogs.
>>
>>2187000
Dwarf frogs are very timid. I would only house them with dwarf cories. They wouldn't suffer or anything, but big cories may cause them to hide.
>>
>>2187006
Oh thats a shame, is there anything else I could have? Google says no to everything but I don't really believe them.

Sorry I am quite new
>>
>>2187006
>>2187000
>>2187010
Hey, you could do what I did, divide your tank so the betta and 6 cories have 10 gallons and 2 dwarf frogs have the over 10.
>>
>>2187010
No problem, we all start out somewhere. If you have a dense vegetation (or you could just grow some by introducing floating plants like water lettuce and fast growing stems like cabomba) you could think about adding 10-15 micro rasboras. You Betta should ignore them, unless he's psycho.

Cool thing about the boraras is that they are not timid at all and very, curious.
>>
look how cheap plastic fish tanks are
https://www.seapets.co.uk/hagen-pals-pen-super-large-60271
>>
File: image.jpg (785KB, 2229x2229px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
785KB, 2229x2229px
>>2186862
Thanks. Take this alligator gar for calming my nerves.
>>
File: IMG_20160810_065921.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160810_065921.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
I put Java moss between two sheets of mesh like six months ago and it simply didn't grow :( as you can see, my lucky bamboo have made themselves at home on the mesh, so I don't want to remove the mesh. Is there any way I can carpet this tank?
>>
>>2187096
Javamoss is very low demand, but considering you got it right at the bottom, with probably low output lighting, I wouldnt wonder if it doesn't grow that much.

How much javamoss did you put between? Do you have a turtle in the tank, that may snack on that moss? What volume is your tank and what lighting output do you have (watt, lumen)?
>>
>>2186973
Here you don't need a license to own native fish.
>>
>>2187110
The only native crayfish we have in the UK is Austropotamobius pallipes, which is illegal to keep due to being endangered.

However, I did find some guy on gumtree selling illegal crayfish, Mexican dwarf crayfish to be exact:
https://www.gumtree.com/p/fish/rare-crayfish-for-sale/1182349241

Those would be small enough for the 17 litre.
>>
File: IMG_20160810_070039.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160810_070039.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>2187100
Enough to cover the floor of the tank, might have been about 1/4 liter of it. It's a 10g tank with just a betta fish, he has a 60-watt bulb for about 8-12h a day.

Thanks for the help, anon. This is my first tank.

Pic related is my very entry level fish. His name is Cheeki Breeki.
>>
>>2186986
Prawns grow to an edible size. I have had some that were 4+inches.

Ghost shrimp are not ever going to attack fish.
>>
so last month i got 3 betta unimaculata (2 males, 1 female). really nice but shy fish. they seem get get rather huge too but they live in a 300L tank so its not much of a problem. i wouldnt keep them with most other fish tho.

there seems to be some fry already too
>>
>>2186901
Cool, thanks for the link. Seems like more effort than I was expecting, but worth it it seems.
>>
>>2186879
That's why I corrected myself. Freezing was recommended in several places for killing crayfish for food. It's different than freezing fish but there wasn't enough proof it was humane so I changed my statement.

>>2187012
cories need more than 10g to swim in :(

>>2187266
it's definitely worth it. make sure you do the jar test though- I didn't and mine is a silty disgusting mess.

>>2186877
>Boiling them will kill them almost instantly.
Wrong.
>>
>>2187278
>have crayfish boil
>throw in a few crayfish
>dead within a few seconds
You dumb m80?
>>
Love these threads. Always full of misinformation and conflicting "facts". No one should ever follow anyone's advice here unless you wish death upon your fish.
>>
>>2187281
There's no studies on crayfish testing this, but in a study on lobsters it took up to 7 minutes to die.
>>
>>2187286
We're literally arguing over how best to kill a crayfish, so yeah.
>>
>>2187289
Literally smash the fucker as hard as possible or stab a knife through its brain. You millenials are such pussys and would rather have you fish suffer rather than take them out as quickly possible.
>>
>>2187286
It's your own dumb fault if you take anyones word at eye level. You use forums and websites to gather information and use your own best judgement to make decisions. This general is just another means to gather information. Opinions are not misinformation if they work for that person. There are plenty of ways to go about aquariums. Some work better than others, some don't work at all. If you fuck up, it's your own fault.
>>
>>2187299
That's why I do what I do. I haven't had a death, Illness, parasite, or anything in 10 years
>>
>>2187296
>wanting to kill things humanely makes you a pussy
What's it like being a retard?
>>
>>2187301
Good for you, no one cares.
>>
I don't even own fish
>>
>>2187305
You should care. Better than all the deaths you're experiencing
>>
>>2187302
>thinks killing things quickly and as little pain as possible is inhumane
I guess freezing (suffering as they freeze to death) and clove oil (stressed the fuck out until they pass out and die) is much more humane than a half second it takes to smash or destroy the brain. You millenials are pretty much brain dead.
>>
>>2187311
So I'm supposed to take your word that you're some genius that has made no mistakes for 10 years? That would literally contradict what you just said in your above post. So tell me, honestly.. what's it like being retarded? Or did you just come to brag on an anonymous message board? Go to bed, grandpa.
>>
>>2187316
You completely changed your argument. First you were discussing that any conversation about humanely killing things makes you a pussy. And now you're chipping in on the topic? Wow, guess you're a pussy too :)
>>
>>2187321
I'm bragging. Nothing I said contradicts what I said. I'm not telling anyone to take my advice. I'm just bragging. What's it like to have the reading comprehension of a 5 year old?
>>
>>2187325
See>>2187296
I literally said smash them or stab the brain. Literally no argument change. I said most of you would rather let your fish suffer than kill them. Maybe if you weren't retarded you could see I already said that.
>>
>>2187316
>an animal must be either killed instantly or rendered insensible to pain until death supervenes
Destroying the brain is fine and has already been mentioned here, but not everyone wants to stomp a pet. Clove oil works as an anesthetic so no the animal shouldn't be stressed.
>>
>>2187325
dude are you stupid? go read what he said. you look like a nigger.
>>
>>2187330
Clove oil OD is very stressful. Throw the crawfish in a lake. Out of sight out of mind.
>>
>>2187329
Adding to the conversation by any means is still contributing to the topic. I'm willing to bet you're the biggest pussy here since you're the one trying to act like the internet tough guy.

>>2187332
Cool argument, retard.
>>
>>2187334
Are you retarded? Don't throw your fish and shit into a lake.

I'd ask you to back up your claim re. clove oil but I doubt you can.
>>
Wow look at all the retards who can't read! I'm enjoying the autism. Keep arguing for our entertainment.
>>
>>2187338
>>2187339
>>2187340
retard combo!
>>
>>2187338
At least I can quickly and painlessly kill my fish when they are suffering. Something you're afraid to do. Which I guess you masturbate to.
>>
>>2187342
Nice projection, buddy.

>>2187341
Once again.. not an argument, retard.
>>
>>2187342
You didn't deny it. Good job, buzzword!
>>
>>2187344
>>2187346
Hello. This is a thread about fish keeping. Not a place for those with autism to argue about things that trigger you and ruin your safe space.
>>
>>2187350
Replying to shitposting is considered shitposting. Maybe try lurking more before posting?
>>
>>2187354
And what exactly did you just do? Contradicted yourself
>>
>>2187344
People said "retard" three times in a row.
>>
>>2187358
If someone says it one more time I'm filling everyone's tanks with clove oil
>>
>>2187361
Do it, I dare you.
>>
>>2187244

My bad on the prawn thing. Shitposting while tired is bad.

Like I've been saying, they were from Petsmart, so god knows what they actually where. They got big enough to harass my stuff. Even my crawdad had to wave them off its food now and then.
>>
>>2187385
I will literally behead you
>>
>>2187316

Freezing and clove oil put the animal to sleep, you mong. No pain, only fish dreams.

>>2187334
And potentially ruin an entire ecosystem?

>>2187386
Now that's just rude.
>>
Do I need water treatment/additive?
>>
>>2187395
Yep.
>>
>>2187389
Freezing does not. It puts the fish in a very stressed state. There's too much info for you to be serious about that. Anyway I have thrown dying fish into lakes and rivers for years and nothing has come of it. They usually get eaten right away.
>>
>>2187399
the earlier discussion was about CRAYFISH. CRAYFISH ARE NOT FISH, DESPITE THE NAME.
>>
>>2187399

Freezing is often used in tandem with stabbing, but can work on its own. Depends on the size.

Your mindset is why invasive species are a thing to begin with. All you're doing is introducing a new disease and species to an already stable system.
>>
>>2187403
Crawfish are type of clawed fish with exoskeleton. The fuck you on about?
>>
>>2187404
>tropical fish
>surviving in Canada's waters
Kek
>>
>>2187407
jesus christ
>>
>>2187408

>tropical fish
>tropical diseases
>non-tropical area
>fish have no immunity

Wew lad.
>>
>>2187411
They are immune you dumb redneck
>>
>>2187416

I may be a dumb redneck, but I'm not a dumb redneck.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/dont_release.html

>If exotic fish survive and reproduce, they are difficult, if not impossible to control or eradicate.

>They may infect native fish with exotic parasites or diseases.
>>
>>2187395
Unless you use RO/DI water, yeah.

>>2186901
So following this link, I'm going to stop by and get some top soil after work. Do this wet/soak and dry method. Then add some seachem fluorite (maybe mix it into the dirt) and black sand to cap it.. that sound reliable for a low tech set up? Should I add clay to the dirt or will fluorite cover the iron need?
>>
>>2187421
If a fish is classified as exotic it doesn't make it invasive. You only have to worry about invasive fish that are killing natives.
>>
>>2187427
You don't need to add fluorite. I googled it and I see no reason not to though- personally I'd add the red.
>>
File: rsz_20160810_162512.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20160810_162512.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Rate my tank
>>
I honestly can't believe there are still people stupid enough to release aquarium pets into the environment
>>
>>2187481
You think this thread is bad.. I was following some hipster chick on Instagram at one point. She posted a video of her releasing two bettas into the ocean thinking she was doing them a favor. Needless to say I instantly unfollowed. her. Still can't believe some people are that stupid.
>>
>>2187327
I don't know about you but over 10,000 fish have probably died in my tanks because I'm constantly breeding and losing fry etc.

Also I was mistaken in earlier posts, I said "prawns" several times, when in fact I was referring to macros. Those type of shrimp are quite confusing.
>>
>>2187010
You could try adding some shrimp! "Meme" animals, I know, but there are so many varieties, you can literally get any color you want, or even shrimp with stripes and spots.

Just make sure that if you get some of two different colors that they aren't closely related enough to interbreed, otherwise the offspring will be "wild" colored, and will over run the tank.

Of course, some people like that.

Heck, you can even get very peaceful "giant" shrimp, like the bamboo, vampire, or armored shrimp. All the size and excitement of a lobster/crayfish, none of the aggression!
>>
>>2187134
>>2187096
Wait, you put the java moss BETWEEN two different layers of mesh?

I'm no expert on mosses, but I am pretty sure that's not how you do it.

I believe you are supposed to flatten the java moss, then sew it ONTO a single layer of mesh, otherwise the layer on top will block a lot of the light/water flow. And having even one of those blocked is never a good thing.

Sorry this didn't work out for you, I am a huge fan of the mosses+mesh technique. I currently don't have my own tank at the moment, but when I do get my next one I want to carpet the whole thing that way.

I hope it works out for you!
>>
>>2187306
LMAO, thanks anon, I needed that laugh today.

Anyways, don't let the edgetards scare you off. Owning fish can be cheap and very enjoyable! Both for you, and your aquatic pets.
>>
>>2187451
Beautiful! I love it. 10/10
>>
>>2186961
I had a few with my betta until she started eating them
They do fine with or without a heater
Thread posts: 338
Thread images: 58

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.