[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cat UTI

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: tumblr_o9da5idkcU1sn75h6o1_1280.jpg (367KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o9da5idkcU1sn75h6o1_1280.jpg
367KB, 1200x1200px
I have 500mg amoxicillin, and a cat with a urinary tract infection.

I'm going to break down the pills and put it in food, I'd also like to medicate my other two cats(eye discharge) simultaneously.

Anyone got advice on the dosage for this stuff?
>>
File: 20160804_180023.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160804_180023.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Thought it would be the little balls. Oh well. If coke heads can do this, so can I. I'll order a micrograms scale tomorrow morning.

Looks like I should be giving 90 mg or less for each carry every 12 hours.

Abnormally high doses can cause life threatening complications, but I can't find anywhere that says the dangerous dosage. I know they give human infants 1000mg fur sinus infections, so the dangerous dosage can't be THAT low?
>>
>>2183253
oh my god I remember those plates.

you need to weigh all three cats. weigh yourself, weigh yourself holding cat, subtract your weight. give 5-10mg/lb 2x daily for 7-10 days. DON'T MISS A DOSE!

Are you sure your other two cats are sick? Be careful with antibiotics- overusing them will make it harder to treat your cats in the future.
>>
>>2183280
Yeah, they have a communicable infection causing extreme eye discharge. It started with one of the cats I always had when I got a new one with the infection.

I'm not really worried about the bacterially resistant infections 'cause I have inside only cats. The UTI has been going on for way too long(enough to make me feel neglectful) and happened when my ex wife was taking care of the litterboxes, and the eye discharge was introduced through a new kitten.

I found a website that said an alternate dosage was 50mg/cat.

I understand this is flatly less precise, but it implies that if I underdose her by 10-20mg it won't keep it from working? And, similarly, that giving her 10-20mg too much isn't dangerous?
>>
>>2183293
antibiotic resistant bacterial infectitons*
>>
>>2183293
And to be clear: they have been tested for cat flus/herpes/etc virus. I know that's a common and highly communicable cause of eye discharge.
>>
>>2183293
It's pretty important to give an accurate dose. If you don't have a scale just get one- they're pretty cheap and you can get one secondhand or just return it when you're done. Cats can weigh from something like 6-30 pounds- you can't just give them all the same dose! It sounds like you have a kitten as well. Even more important to be accurate.

If you're underdosing it might not work at all and will build up their tolerance to the drug and you might end up with a cat with a still untreated UTI that's resistant to amoxicillin. I wouldn't worry about overdosing- LD50 in rats is 3g/kg.
>>
File: 7481777317087871539.jpg (976KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
7481777317087871539.jpg
976KB, 1440x2560px
>>2183307
No, they're all adult cats. it's been going on for a while.>>2183307

>I wouldn't worry about overdosing- LD50 in rats is 3g/kg.
This is more the kind of thing htat I was looking for.

I'm going to get a scale for the cillin, but I needed to know "you can go over a bit to be safe" so I can just curl the cats for weight estimate.

I know the one who has the UTI is 7-8lbs, because she's anemic and underweight so I keep track of her.

Background cat related: she never had eye discharge before I got a black kitten who already had itt, probably about a year ago, maybe a little more. I say kitten, but I mean juvenile.
>>
>>2183310
My vet just doesn't want to treat the discharge, because "it's not that bad, is it"?

But it really is. I have to scrape it off with my fingernail after it dries every morning, and I can't go at it easily.
>>
>>2183311
Amoxicillin is pretty safe besides the potential to use it wrong. If it's an infection I'm surprised your vet didn't want to treat the discharge... it's more money for him.
>>
>>2183312
I live in a town of a couple thousand, he's a lot "farm vet."

Which can't account for
>it's more money for him.
but that's his prerogative, I guess.
>>
>>2183312
>>2183307
>>2183280

Thanks very much anon, she's eating 70-90mg right now in tuna.
>>
>>2183316
>tuna
Cat grade, of course.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.