[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone experienced a dog becoming aggressive with age? Is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (68KB, 810x437px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68KB, 810x437px
Has anyone experienced a dog becoming aggressive with age? Is this a thing?

My family's dog used to occasionally growl and snap, but now that he's 10 he's started to violently bark whenever we try to get him to do something he doesn't want to.

He has regular and recent vet checkups, is in good health and is not in pain.
>>
He just fights for dog rights. Dog lives matter, no dog should be a slave.
>>
this is probably anthropomorphizing, but elderly people are often grumpy too, so maybe? but are you sure he's not in pain? animals are often good in hiding pain.
>>
i was about to make a thread about this, my dog has become almost uncontrollably dog aggressive in his old age. i think it's territorial because it's only with dogs on our block.
>>
>>2183007
It's a thing for dogs that are poorly socialized and trained throughout their life.
>>
>>2183007
>he would growl and snap sometimes
That's where you fucked up, anon. You should've never tolerated that behavior directed at you. Now he's older, more tired, and more impatient. The dog's just elevating his dominant behavior toward you.
Oh and don't bother trying to correct it with negative reinforcement now--that window has long since passed. You are your dogs bitch or at best his equal as far as he's concerned.
Best thing you can hope to do now, op? Condition the dog so that he wants to do the things you'd like him to do.
>>
he probably cant see and/or hear as well. so it's easier to startle and confuse him, which could lead to aggression. he could also have less energy and be less inclined to use it for whatever inane tasks you want him to do.

>but are you sure he's not in pain? animals are often good in hiding pain.
also this
>>
My aunt had a golden retriever who was totally sweet his whole life but after he turned around 9 or 10 he bit her on the hand with no warning. No ears back or cowering like you normally see from stressed out dogs. Just turned around when she was petting him and chomped.

She had to get a bunch of stitches and the dog was fine as long as nobody pet him anymore. Such a shame, he was a cutie.

I've never seen it outside of that dog but I still get the lingering fear that my 11 year old pupper might do the same to me and I hate myself for it.
>>
>>2183669
I'm sure he's not in pain. He is as energetic as ever, the vets have given him the all-clear, and he has no other differences.

>>2183813
>>2183906
This is what I was thinking. He definitely wasn't properly socialized or trained. He's immaculately housebroken an all that, but my parents dropped the ball with socializing especially. He was already messed up from the beginning being rescued from a traumatic past, and he most likely needed much more intense work. I'm glad he isn't my dog.

>>2184083
A few months ago he bit the shit out of my foot when and it's left scars. Now I just avoid having to deal with him when I'm over.
>>
>>2184118
>bit the shit my foot
on these occasions, regardless of age, beat the fuck out of him (reasonably). It won't get you the results you want but it'll make sure this never happens again.
Dogs are simple, even traumatized ones. They understand action and reaction
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.