[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pitbull Allergies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: pit bull skin health.jpg (98KB, 1193x895px) Image search: [Google]
pit bull skin health.jpg
98KB, 1193x895px
My two year old pupper has bad allergies

We had a food allergy test done and have avoided all the food she is allergic to yet she still has really bad allergies

So the vet put her on a short term medication called prednisone but says that she can develop kidney and liver problems if she stays on them

When she's on the prednisone it really helps keep her allergies in check

>We noticed she was really bad when she couldn't take the prednisone because she was spayed

The vet recommended a new medication that might help but it's really expensive long term and it seems like alot of the dogs that try it end up worse with other symptoms, like having their hearts explode or run temperatures of a 105 and she also talked about daily shots, sadly, I can't afford all of this

I'm going to have an environmental allergy test done and hope it's going to reveal she's allergic to something easy to fix around the house/yard

I give her bathes at least 3 times a week

Does /an/ have any advice for soothing an itchy dog short term or long term?
>>
>pitbull
>>
>>2181850
Do you say the fancy name everytime too?

Pitbull is just shorter and easier
>>
>>2181860
>Pitbull is just shorter and easier
Yeah, it makes the sentence "put the pitbull down, please" much quicker to say.
>>
is the vet sure it's allergies?
are you using hypoallergenic shampoo?

my mom's shih tzu had terrible allergies as well, so I have a little experience with this.

you can find the following on Amazon:
-durvet nu-stock for hot spots
-nupro supplements to help with her coat and skin
-fish or krill oil
-dried nettle- 1/2 tsp per 1 lb of food, you can make a tea with it as well and rub it into her fur. it's a natural antihistamine.

if all that fails I'd try feeding raw.
>>
>>2181868
also what kind of food are you feeding her, if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>2181868
Yeah, we use a special coconut oatmeal shampoo for dogs with allergies, thanks for the list

>>2181872
Dog food that doesn't have chicken or barley in the ingredients as that's what she's allergic to food wise

The vet is pretty sure it's an environmental cause as we're staying clear of anything she's allergic to or even borderline allergic to
>>
Did you have the blood draw allergy test, or the sub dermal test? The blood draw test is inaccurate.
>>
>>2181877
Could be environmental. Where are you and what's the situation like with blooming flowers and grasses? My dogs have terrible problems with grass pollen.

Prednisone works, my dog gets it every once in a while when he's really itchy, but you can't really use it for more than three days in a row without starting to run into risk.

You could consider switching to a limited ingredient food with a known safe protein source. Bison meat is supposed to be good for being hypoallergenic. If you do it, go for a food that doesn't include any fowl (chicken, turkey, duck) or any cereals (rice, soy, wheat, oats, corn, millet, maize, quinoa, rye, barley, buckwheat, sorghum, triticale, spelt). Legumes (peas, chickpeas, beans) might be tolerated.

Get some neotopic H lotion or some equivalent from the vet to put on hotspots.

Try adding fish oil or coconut oil into the diet to help coat condition.
>>
File: 1376006934557.jpg (27KB, 447x444px) Image search: [Google]
1376006934557.jpg
27KB, 447x444px
>>2181846
>owning a shit bull
>>
>>2181877
Oatmeal gives way to yeast growth.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.