[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I work at a shelter and an ACO just brought this fish in. We

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I work at a shelter and an ACO just brought this fish in. We have no clue what kind of fish it is or how to house it. Please help
>>
>>2181751
A raggedy fishus
>>
>>2181751
Looks like a fucked up Oscar. Put the poor guy down, use clove oil to do it, most humane way.
>>
>>2181764
I wouldn't put him down.
I've had a lot of torn up cichlids, they usually recover fully.
Can't really tell his health from one pic, but Oscars are pretty resilient.
>>
Looks to be an Oscar

I got one for my friend for his starter 10 gallon and it died within a week

I wouldn't really call it a starter fish for beginners even though the guy at the shop said it would make for a good one

They're very territorial so give him lots of room if he is being housed with a community

How many inches is he?
>>
>>2181843
My main concern is his missing scales and what looks like rotting eyes.
>>
>>2181751
it's an Oscar

He looks torn up
Do daily water changes and give him a bigger tank with something to hide, it should heal up in about a week or so
>>
>>2181751
Post back with updates. Even in his current state, he's beautiful. If you don't have much money, go to your nearby creek and get stuff to put in your tank from there, plants, rocks, etc.
>>
>>2182175
Oscars do better in a minimal tank. They dig, uproot and destroy everything you put in the tank with them.
>>
>>2182192
this

also give updates please and get a big tank and do daily ~60% waterchanges
>>
Oscars are built like tanks but this one's eye has me worried. Even if it healed it's probably going to be blind or partially blind.

Can a blinded fish be stimulated for hand feeding by wagging food in front of it?
>>
>>2182229
I work at a pet store and we received a one eyed Oscar. When I fed him, I would put my hand in view of his good eye, and he would immediately start searching the top of the tank for food. So I think so.
>>
>>2181751
Its an oscar, like many pointed out, set up a big hospital tank - these guys get quite big, so we are talking 75gallons+ if you wanna keep him. They are messy, so get a good filter. For now, try to get some indian almond leaves or driftwood. Basically anything that contains tannins and humin acids for the tank water. Shit is anti fungal/anti bacterial, also buy frozen bloodworms as food, for when he feels better again.

As many pointed out, keep water changes frequent, since you want no bacteria buildup in the water that might harm him.

As for fish medication, sadly I'm from europe, so i cant recommend specific products, but I would hold off aggressive medication for now. The acids in the water will be also beneficial to his eye in the healing process.
>>
>>2182229
Lol, I wouldn't worry if he loses the eye.
I mean, that'll suck, but Oscars will still thrive with one.

The missing scales will heal.
That's minimal compared to what I've seen during breeding.
>>
>>2181751
Any update on the big guy? Is he doing better?
>>
Damn. That is a beautiful Oscar. I am jelly. Everyone has shared good tips. Make sure to treat the water before changes. Also get a good filter and hides for him. Other than that feed him pellets from a fish store. Just ask for Oscar pellets
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (67KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
67KB, 1280x720px
>>2181897
>oscar
>10 gallon
>for a fish that can potentially grow to the size of a small cantaloupe

are you retarded?
>>
>>2181897
>oscar
>10 gallon
That's way too small. These fish get really big, they ought to have about 50 gallons even for one fish.
>>
>>2181764
Chances are, if ACO brought it in, it's probably in as a stray and has to serve a mandatory stray hold before they can euthanize it for medical reasons. Or at least that's the only reason we got fish from ACO at the shelter I worked at.

A word of advice, see if there is any way you can lock the tank cover on the tank when the guy is ready to be available/in public. Visitors do dumb shit, including constantly feeding and trying to get the fish to eat things that aren't food.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.