[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Strategy for breeding the perfect dog.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

Strategy for breeding the perfect dog.

To start with there are some core factors to consider: speed, intelligence, temperament, aesthetics, loyalty and life span (health).

There's other shit like scent and sight, but who cares, I don't hunt.

So I start off by ranking each breed in each of the core category. The total score for each dog is the sum of the rankings. For example, the border collie is ranked #1 in intelligence, #9 in speed, #21 in aesthetics etc. so its score is 1 + 9 + 21 + ... (the lower the total score, the better).

Then I moved onto spider diagrams for each dog so that I can focus on amending a breed if it generally has a good overall score but shortcomings in a particular area. For example, the greyhound (or whippet) has a great total score, but lacks in intelligence, so I'd look to breed it with a dog that excels in intelligence.

It would take some generations to arrive at the perfect breed, so this experiment may take up to 10 years to execute.

Anything else I should consider?
>>
For intelligence and loyalty, doberman pinscher.
For intelligence and temperament, standard poodle.

As for aesthetics, depends on what look you're going for, but I think pharaoh hound is a handsome breed (plus speed).
>>
>>2181342
Also, since it seems from the OP that you like sight hounds, consider saluki or ibizan for appearance/speed.
>>
>>2181340
Won't you end up with a wolf-like dog?
>>
Most intelligent dogs

Border Collie
Poodle
German Shepherd
Golden Retriever
Doberman Pinscher
Shetland Sheepdog
Labrador Retriever
Papillon
Rottweiler
Australian Cattle Dog

Fastest dogs

Greyhound
Whippet
Saluki
Borzoi
Ibizan Hound
Pharaoh Hound
Afghan Hound
Scottish Deerhound
Border Collie
Vizsla

Longest lifespan (Notice they are all tiny toy dogs, some of them are susceptible to health problems despite the long average lifespan so not indicative of health)

Chihuahua
Yorkshire Terrier
Pomeranian
Dachshund
Toy Poodle
Maltese
Lhasa Apso
Pug
Beagle
Miniature Schnauzer
>>
>>2181345

Why is that? It's most likely going to end up with a medium sized dog with short fur by the looks of it.
>>
Isn't the idea of breeding dogs to specialize in one trait, and by cross breeding dogs "good" in one area you will effectively water down that trait, and you will be simply left with a mutt that is average across the board at the end of the experiment?
>>
>>2181352

First of all mutts are rarely a bad thing. I don't understand the obsession with pure breeds when purity leads to health problems. It's the same inbreeding with humans, it's not good.

Second, the Labrador has a mongrel 'heritage' and has above average rank in almost every traits, which is why it's used for assistance, police, hunting and as a general pet.

I think mixing 3 or 4 breeds together will result in the best of both worlds. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
>>
>>2181348
Biddability and intelligence are two different things.
>>
>>2181364
>mutts are rarely a bad thing
>purity leads to health problems
GOOD GOYIM
>>
>>2181427

/Pol/ here. There's more genetic version in whites than there is in Dogs of different breeds
>>
>>2181364
I'm so sick of this mutt meme. Mutts are great. I own them but being a mutt does not mean they are healthier. They just as easily get the same health problems, and you might even have worst of both worlds. Obviously if you say, have a dalmatian and lab mix then you MIGHT not get all the shit associated with one or the other.
Especially if you don't know where the dog is from. At least with a purebred or a mutt you know their breeds, you can at least expect.
You have no idea if they will suddenly and mysteriously go to shit(,its happened to me with a mutt I grew up with and recently my cousins dog.Necropsies yielded no actual cause except 'maybe' neurological but they couldn't find anything up with their brains).
>>
File: 184368_orig.jpg (127KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
184368_orig.jpg
127KB, 533x800px
>>2181345
It would end up looking like a pariah. >>2181340
Please op. Consider using a pariah for health reasons.
>>
>>2181440
Do you mean variation?
>>
>>2181446
It's not a meme though. Mutts are healthier. They do h ave a lessened incident of genetic disease just by how genetic disease works.

You are right that it does completely depend on the mix of dog. A mutt that is high content GSD and Lab still might have hips that will fucking explode. But there is also the chance that it got lucky and got a mix of genes that gave it healthy hips.

Nor does a dog being a mutt magically imply it will live to be 28 and still run 5 miles a day like it did when it was 2. The meme is perhaps exaggerated, but a simple understanding of genetics would allow anyone to understand a mutt would have a reduced risk of genetic problems.
>>
>>2181654
It's just false, Anon.
The one truth is that a well bred dog is healthier, doesn't matter if it's a mutt or purebred.
>>
The problem seems to be that humans are doing the breeding when if you leave it up to nature evolution will take care of it and produce the best traits
>>
The way we have come to treat dogs mean creating "new breeds" isnt viable in the sense people are going to be in an uproar if you kill puppies/dogs for no reason other than that they dont fit your standard/type, they certainly cant all be rehomed effeciently. I like mixed breeds, Mastiffs are my preferred type of dog and mixes of Mastiff type dogs tend to revert back into a lighter more athletic older type of Mastiff but to get a standard type would take years.
>>
just wait for genetic modification OP

Then you wont have to hope for good genes to be passed down and instead just build your own
>>
>>2181348
>Most intelligent dogs
>Rottweiler

No jack russel terrier lol

>muh border collie can select certain toys wow she is so intelligent
>>
>>2181986
This. Though I won't lie, if I had the resources for a dog, I'd take one or two of OP's reject puppies if they were a mix that I liked. Still, that's only two out of how many?
>>
i'm going to breed jack russel terriers to be the size of mastiffs

and normies will think i'm the good guy
>>
>>2182064
Well, I'm going to breed mastiffs to be the size of chihuahuas, so middle-aged trophy wives can carry them around in leopard-print purses.
>>
>>2182047
If that's the test I think it is, they tested the intelligence of dogs by first having them do commands they knew and see how many times you had to ask for them to do it. The second part was teaching them an entirely new trick and see how many repetitions were needed for the dog to understand and start doing the trick without lure or any clue but verbal.
>>
>>2182073
*cue
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.