[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fun fact thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 10

File: image.png (965KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
965KB, 640x1136px
>itt: post fun facts about animals and nature

I'll start of with this

>fun fact:
The golden-shouldered parrot is a critically endangered species(2,500) native to the cape York peninsula of Australia where they live in open fire supported woodlands and can only best in 30 yet a old termite mounds
Depending on the reaction to this thread I might post some more fun facts
>>
>>2181094
A pack of Weiner dogs can skeletonize a cow carcass in under six minutes
>>
File: gibbon.jpg (28KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
gibbon.jpg
28KB, 500x376px
>>2181094
the gibbon, more commonly known as The Horrid Little Man, is known to not do much other than caper about, being a horrid little man
>>
File: images (5).jpg (30KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
images (5).jpg
30KB, 512x288px
Anacondas and other large pythons are seriously fucking cool. They don't unhinge their jaws like some small snakes, their jaws open at TWO SETS OF JOINTS. They also have two rows of teeth in the roof of their mouth that can "walk" along a carcass so that the snake can swallow it.
>>
>>2181112
This is a facts thread smartass, don't get cute
>>
File: land eels.jpg (56KB, 370x370px) Image search: [Google]
land eels.jpg
56KB, 370x370px
Snakes can go for a really, really long time without pooping. As in, over a year. It's not because they're constipated though - these long fecal retention periods have actually evolved for a purpose in snakes.

In terrestrial snakes a little extra weight can give a snake a distinct advantage in capturing and handling large, potentially dangerous prey. A large store of poop contribute an easily-altered component to the body's mass, an inert ballast that, unlike muscle, requires no energy to maintain (so long as the animal is sitting still and doesn't have to drag it around). This extra mass is concentrated in the posterior of the body, where it presumably increases both the inertia of that region and its friction with the ground. Essentially, the humongous mass of poop could anchor the back end of the snake during a strike or while constricting.

What's more, the snakes could jettison their ballast quickly if it became a liability, such as following a new meal, before undertaking a long-distance movement, upon becoming pregnant, or prior to hibernation, thereby reducing their body mass by as much as 20% at one go.
>>
File: goose.jpg (739KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
goose.jpg
739KB, 1280x720px
>>2181094

When Barnacle Geese are only 3 days old they jump off of cliffs that they hatched on. They are incapable of flight at this age. They evolved to have a fluffy and padded exterior yet there are still many who die on impact on the rocks below.

Amazingly, however, some survive and waddle off to get food with their parents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxGuNJ-nEYg
>>
>>2181275
>a species of bird that is actually evolving to become bouncy balls
Fucking kaboodle
>>
>>2181271
I do the same
>>
File: image.png (2MB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2MB, 1136x640px
>fun fact:
The genus Glphyis(AKA river sharks) contains 5 species of extremely rare and endangered sharks that live and reproduce in the freshwater(as supposed to the bull shark which must migrate to the ocean to breed in saltwater) these include the spear tooth shark which is shown,the irrawady river shark,the northern river shark,the spear tooth shark and the Borneo river shark
>>
Crabs sometimes for crab piles to deal with large prey
>>
File: 1464076371847.jpg (43KB, 670x372px) Image search: [Google]
1464076371847.jpg
43KB, 670x372px
kimis are bigger than you think
>>
>>2181735
Interestingly enough, quite a few birds have gone down the bouncy ball baby evolution route. Wood ducks nest up in trees, and when their ducklings hatch, they have to jump for the ground.
Though watching them bounce on the ground is a lot more hilarious than watching Barnacle Geese gooslings jump, since they have a much better chance of not splattering when they hit the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkBSkFyUyv0
>>
>>2182013
Damn; I always thought they would fit into ones hand.
>>
>>2182013
waddup furry bagpipes
>>
>>2182013
They look like giant flightless hummingbirds.
>>
>>2182013
They are also fast. I used to imagine them awkwardly strutting around like chickens, but they dash around quite well on those little legs.
>>
>Bed bugs mate in a bizarre process called traumatic insemination. Instead of using the genital tract, the male pierces the female's abdomen with his genitalia and injects his sperm through a wound in the abdominal cavity. The sperm migrates through her abdominal fluid until it reaches her ovaries.

This process is traumatic to the female because of the wound, leakage of blood and increased risk of infection and disease. The mating process reduces the lifespan of the female bed bug. After mating, the female may try to avoid mating again by isolating herself and moving away from the harborage.

;_;
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.