[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I found this little thing in my balcony this morning. I think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20160801_143917.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160801_143917.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I found this little thing in my balcony this morning. I think it's either a baby dove or baby pigeon, but I'm not entirely sure. It doesn't seem to be able to fly and there are no trees that reach so high where my apartment is, so I'm not sure how it ended up here, I don't know much about birds. I'm guessing its home must be somewhere around here, above my balcony somehow, but I don't see anything, and I would notice if birds made a nest on my balcony because of the chirping.
When I found it it was sleeping, I thought it was dead at first but when I got close it opened its eyes then went back to sleep. 8 hours have passed since then, it keeps crying over and over without stopping for a second, jumping all around my balcony.
I don't know what to do, if I should try to feed it myself, if I should put it somewhere high so other birds notice it (lots of birds have been flying here lately, but even if it cries they just come for a few seconds then fly away), if there is nothing I should do and just pray for the best, I don't know. Just want it not to die, maybe it's not even really in danger, but better safe than sorry.
>>
It's neither a dove or pidgeon, im not sure exactly but it almost looks like a fledging finch to me. Being a fledging, this is perfectly normal for them. Their parents bring them food, and the fledgling will eventually learn to fly on it's own. Just make sure to keep and cats or dogs away from it and it should be fine.
>>
>>2180612
Are you sure? I'm glad to hear that then, it's been so long since it fell down here, I can see it trying to fly but it fails. It keeps crying and crying but no bird came to it in the past 10 hours. I'm scared it might be not easy for the parents to see since it's pretty far down. Right now another bird came and rested right on top of it crying a bit, but then it just flew away, this keeps happening, maybe they can't find it.
Should I put it somewhere higher? It's even hiding behind some boxes right now since I went to get something outside and it got scared.
>>
Alright I'm very sure that the bird that came right now had something in its beak, but then just flew away.
Do these kind of birds have trouble looking down or understanding where exactly a sound comes from?
>>
Find a cardboard box and lay it on it's side. Put a fresh clean towel or soft rag inside (little to no scent if you can), and kind of curl it up on one side, or make a bowl shape with it.

Leave it near the bird and just try not to make noise or let any animals near it. It's parents are most likely watching it and feeding it when they feel it's safe.

Either way don't mess with it much more than that. If if it dies, then it's survival of the fittest and the parents will learn a harsh lesson and make smarter decisions next time.

Sucks but that's the way it has to be.
>>
I've touched the bird, is it dead now and parents are never gonna want to get close to it?
>>
That's a sparrow
>>
>>2180659
No but you'll make it stressed and sickly, leave it be and let the parents deal with it.
>>
>>2180671
Is there anything I can do to teach it how to fly? My balcony is huge enough for it to run freely, this morning it tried flying a bit, but after about 3-4 seconds it would fall to the ground, now it's not trying anymore, just standing in the cardboard box and crying. Really no parent ever came for it and it keeps on crying, since it's fully feathered it should be ready enough to leave the nest but it can't leave my balcony and go eat if it can't fly.
>>
>>2180536
Its a juvenile sparrow, and its totally fine, doing its thing, learning how to bird. Please don't interfere; thank you for your concern.
>>
>>2180754
I really hope I didn't startle it too much and fucked up something for it.
>>
>>2180756
If it were overly startled that easily it would probably be a strain on the gene pool anyway.
Cruel thought, I know, but it should be capable of dealing. Likely is.
>>
I went back to it today, it's still there. Slept inside my box, found it on the opposite side of my balcony this morning, still chirping like always, don't know if any bird gave it food, neither I did. Some people I know keep insisting very strongly I should at the very least give it water through a syringe.
When I found it it was lying on its stomach, head and beak on the floor. It was still chirping before I got out then it got completely mute, so I don't know if it's weak or if it's because me getting out scared it and it was trying to hide.
>>
>>2181299
NO
WATER
NO WATER
DO NOT GIVE IT WATER
You can put a dish out if you'd like
You can put out mushed up cat food if you'd like
but NO WATER VIA SYRINGE
>>
About a week ago I had to put one out of its misery after it had somehow got its legs tangled in some thorns. It had been in that same position for god knows how long. There was no way in hell that little bird was going to survive with two twisted legs.
Not wanting to see it have to suffer anymore I got a plastic bag, turned on my car and put some exaust fumes into the bag and tied it up.
Within 5 mins the bird passed on and I buried it in my backyard.You might want to consider the same. Sounds like something is wrong with it.
>>
Put a camera and record it for proof of parent presence
>>
I can hear it chirping outside still, but I can't find it anymore. I hope it did not get stuck somewhere.
>>
>>2181341
That bird woke up from being gazed to find itself buried alive.
>>
>>2181365
Its parent is still feeding it, so the chirping is to help the parent locate it while it's on the ground. Definitely don't worry about it.

And as someone said, if it doesn't work out, unfortunately that is nature selecting out a lineage that is building less successful nests.
>>
>>2181399
It sure cries a lot though, almost for the whole day non-stop. It came out of its hiding spot again a while ago, it seems healthy for someone I thought was not getting food for almost two days by now. It must be getting it someway I guess, but I never saw any bird getting close and regurgitating on its mouth.
How long is it gonna take it to learn how to fly? My cat really wants to murder it, I can't let her do it, but at the same time she is crying a lot for not being able to go outside like she is used to do.
>>
>>2181464
The bird is getting fed. Just not when you are looking.
Your cat will get over it. Try spending more time with the cat since its prob bored as fuck from not being able to go outside.
>>
File: image.jpg (121KB, 760x569px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121KB, 760x569px
MODS PLEASE STICKY ALREADY
>>
>>2181385

No I made sure it wasnt breathing. Strange part is when instead of a closed eyes death, it was full open eyes like it didnt even realize it was dead.
Easier death than breaking its neck.
>>
My cleaning lady came today and I told her to not cleat the balcony today and that I would do it myself when the bird flies away, it would just keep pooping after she cleans anyway, so I told her to leave the bird completely alone. I go buy some groceries and come back and find my balcony completely demolished by her trying to find its nest, which she did find, with the bird put back to its nest by her.
I'm assuming it's fine to leave the bird inside its nest even though she did intervene in some ways and moved it around, no?
>>
A couple of hours after she put it in the nest and the bird seems to have disappeared. Maybe it learned how to fly after being put in the nest somehow. Hope it didn't fall.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.