[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck is it legal to put birds in cages for life?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8

File: 980x.jpg (120KB, 980x650px) Image search: [Google]
980x.jpg
120KB, 980x650px
How the fuck is it legal to put birds in cages for life?
>>
Always kinda wondered this myself. It seems really cruel to take away a bird's flight. It's like condemning someone to use a wheelchair for life when they don't need it. It's especially bad when you consider how intelligent birds are and how they can feel depression.
>>
>>2179729
Some neighbours moved and they have 2 on a single cage, one is doing circles all day.

Can't you take them off for a while and let them fly? If you put food next to the cage wouldn't they come back to eat? Otherwise I would never own birds.
>>
that's kinda gunna happen no matter what pet you have. to be able to keep a pet both yours and safe, you have to imprison them.

if you don't, they get loose, get hurt, don't come back, or something else bad happens to them.

you have to ask yourself: is their freedom worth less than their safety and your want to have them?
>>
>>2179732
the problem is that if the bird isn't tamed it's gonna be a pain in the ass to catch him and it'll cause a lot of stress for it
>>
>>2179727
How the fuck is it legal to keep a dog in a backyard and house for life?
How the fuck is it legal to keep a cat cramped up in a small house for life and force it to shit in one 1'x10" area?
How the fuck is it legal to keep fish in a tank all its life?
How the fuck is it legal to keep cows in pens all its life?
How the fuck is it legal to keep snakes in tanks all their lives?
How the fuck is it legal to keep turtles in tanks all their lives?
How the fuck is it legal to keep any animal out of its natural environment?
>>
>>2179772
But you can't compare having a fucking dog that you take out on the reg with a 1x1 cage for an animal that FLIES.

Of course I agree too that having fish is tiny tanks and so on it's insane. I only buy eggs and stuff from animals that live outdoors.
>>
>>2179764
Again not the same. You have a dog and he can be free for some hours. Pet bird is caged for life.
>>
Depends on the owner. Some budgie keepers I know just let their birds fly around in the living room until it's bedtime at which point they just go back into the cage on their own because they feel safe there. Some birds are even too afraid to leave the cage even if it's open.
>>
File: IMG_20160728_121614.jpg (1MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160728_121614.jpg
1MB, 3120x4160px
>>2179825
Mine won't leave the cage if it's too hot or too dark
>>
>>2179727
Mine get a minimum of 2 hours a day out of their cage. Know what they generally do? Sit and watch. Birds dont just fly for the sake of it.
>>
>>2179727
If their owners do it right, they're never in their cages for life. All of my parrots spend hours outside of their cages, bonding with me and bonding with each other. Just like you'd play with your cat or walk your dog, parrots NEED attention. If you want a pet to cage for life and look at, get a fish.
>>
>>2179727
You need to be over 18 to post on this website.
>>
you live in a cage too, you dont seem to mind.

birds like to be with their people, they sit there happy as can be pigging out and giving you the stink eye
>>
>>2179825
This is the case with my brother's, though they weren't tamed.
You can leave the cage open for hours and they'll never leave its proximity
>>
>>2179764
You can keep a pet and not have them confined to a tiny cell. It's like those people who when they go away to work put their dog in a tiny cage all day. That should be considered inhumane.
>>
>>2179980
>If you want a pet to cage for life and look at, get a fish.
Or finches.
>>
>>2179727
The way I see it, the amount of dopamine (pleasure hormone) that a pet owner gains from keeping the pet outweighs the pet's shortage of dopamine caused by being caged.
>>
>>2179793
They are on the ground as much as they are in the air. Unlike a fish that all can do is swim, birds can walk. They are not incapacitated. I do believe birds should be given room but its no different than putting another animal in a cage that is used to moving around more than a few feet. Even with parrots that have unclipped wings(and know how to fly just fine) they are happy to flutter in place or just sit on their perches most of the day or walk around.

An unclipped bird is very risky, especially if they don't know how to fly well. On /an/ alone we have had plenty of horror stories of birds just crashing into the wall because they were suddenly given the space and a room was not prepared. And then you have the people who spend thousands of dollars on a parrot, have them free fly and for them to never return(and often not survive due to the climate).

Pay attention to your bird, don't ignore it, let it out, etc and it makes no difference to them.
>>
>>2179772
a 1'x10" area to shit in is more of a luxury than the tiny ass toilet I get
>>
>>2179794
Not quite. He can be 'free' in a house, he can be ''free' in a yard. He can't go where he pleases though, because eventually he will walk off your property. That's still being contained.
>>
>>2180067
That's making me rethink a lot of shit, desu.

I don't like you.
>>
>>2180103
>Implying this is a bad thing
You are the type of people who would be happy a dog got hot by a car because at least they were 'free'.
>>
>>2179772
Cats are autistic and and actually like eating the same thing every day and shitting in the same place every day.
>>
>>2179772
any competent person will give those animals ample room to do whatever they please

bird in a cage is like goldfish in a bowl except lower mortality rate
>>
Long life in a cage, or short life in the wild? Do they understand this concept? The world may never know.
>>
File: 1353636654129.jpg (17KB, 313x286px) Image search: [Google]
1353636654129.jpg
17KB, 313x286px
>>2180143
>he shits in a different place each time

I'm not coming to your house for dinner anon
>>
You're assuming birds actually like flying, or dislike not being able to fly, or even care.

Exercise is always good though, I know some bird owners who let them run free inside the house.
>>
>>2180241
I would imagine a bird knows when it is not being allowed to fly just as much as people know when they're not being allowed to walk. Their wings probably hurt from disuse after awhile.
>>
>>2179727
For life? There was a woman on a Facebook sale group posting a gold cheek conure for sale. No takers. Three days later there is a Facebook post about a lost and found gold cheek conure that fell out of the sky.

MFW parrots.
>>
>>2180236
Well, cats can actually get upset if you move their litter box's location. It wouldn't really bother me if my bathroom somehow moved.
>>
>>2180242
>I would imagine a bird knows when it is not being allowed to fly just as much as people know when they're not being allowed to walk.
You're anthropomorphizing birds.
>Their wings probably hurt from disuse after awhile.
That's a new one.
>>
>>2180446
>Their wings probably hurt from disuse after awhile.
This doesn't happen.
One of my birds is a lazy bum who always climbs everywhere even though he has a free flight path. He only ever flies when he absolutely has to, for example to reach a free hanging branch.
>>
>>2180242
They can still use their wings. They can still use and flap them. You're not taping them to their bodies. My lovebirds can and know how to fly fine. But they sit there and flap, in or out of the cage when they get excited.
>>
>>2179732
My neighbors have 2 cockatiels that are free to roam around their house, and only go in the cage at night. Their big fat cat doesn't give a shit about them.
I was over working on their computer one time, and one of them landed on the couch right behind my head, and stared at me with its beady little bird eyes...
>>
>>2179830
That bright blue one is gorgeous. Anymore pics of it?
>>
File: IMG_20160801_145535.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160801_145535.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
>>2180534
Here, they don't want to get outside the cage now and little faggot won't stand still.

He has a tumor btw but it's in check and doesn't seem to be growing.
>>
>>2180242

i had a budgie who couldn't fly when i got her from being kept in a cage so long... i used a tent to let her learn how to fly and build her muscles back up, and then she flew around fine

wing clipping though doesn't prevent a bird from using its wings or flying... my conure has had her wings clipped twice (i let her fly in the fall and winter im the house cuz it seemed unfair to not allow that when it's too cold to take her out, my budgies taught her how to fly...), and she has really strong wings... she can fly with no problem even with clipped wings

she actually didn't want to step up once outside (i had relied on clipped wings for over a year outside on the property i lived on, and only used her leash when we went past it...) and ended up flying from tree top to tree top calling to me and then flying away again playing in trees... she finished with that and came down and jumped on my shoulder to go home, but she was flying around for a while and honestly covered a pretty impressive distance...

and right now she has 2 feathers on each wing so she can't fly crazy far (she's molting and i don't like to clip them 'til they're fully grown in), but she can get across rooms and through the house, she can fly loops around a room and shit...

+ she loves grabbing onto things and flapping her wings... and she does that clipped or not all the time throughout the day... she's been to the vet and shit, she's strong and healthy... just went recently for a nail trim and check up...

and she's happy... she got outside about a week ago and just flew right back in to me (she hadn't meant to i don't think) she could've taken off and chose not to...

idk... i've had most of the birds i've had/have get out at one point in their life and then come back in same day and shit...

have you ever really been around any birds?
>>
>>2179727
>for life
They're not stuck in there for life, they're only stuck in there until they're tamed, some birds won't even leave their cage. Until they are tamed, they'll just fly around the house or have some quality time outside. They're loyal pets.
>2179772
>How the fuck is it legal to keep any animal out of its natural environment?
We've been enslaving animals for a long time now, do you know that?
>>
>>2179727
Fuck off peta
>>
>>2180538
I've never seen such a beautiful blue on a budgie before. Hope he stays in good shape.
>>
File: image.jpg (185KB, 637x762px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
185KB, 637x762px
>>2180554

+ she goes on walks...
>>
Welcome to the /an/ endgame, just admire from afar, take it easy and don't nag those who already have child substitutes.
>>
bird in cage = just not good for the bird at all, I don't give a fuck about your theories.
>>
>>2180143
>Cat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sumn6flhNtg

cats can be bird friend
>>
File: IMG_20160801_181231.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160801_181231.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
>>2180559
Now they were all out of the cage, went to get my phone and found them like this.
Fags.

>>2180682
Mine like to get out, fly and play a bit and get back inside again when they are tired.
>>
>>2180494
I had a physical therapist tell me just 2 days of not using a muscle causes it to start atrophying. If a bird never flies it's wings would deteriorate and become painful if it had to use them again.
>>
>>2179772
How the fuck is it legal to keep humans in schools houses and buildings?
#we was kangs
>>
>not letting your bird out every day for a few hours

BAKA DESU SENPAI
>>
>>2180067
I'm going out to kidnap someone and make them my slave now. The dopamine bonus of me never having to do any chores would offset their loss from being a slave.

I would treat them well, feed them and everything.
>>
>>2181161
I understand what you're getting at. You're saying "what if YOU were in the position of the parakeet, how would YOU feel?"
There are several differences though. First of all, being inactive while someone else does all the work would actually be bad for your dopamine levels. Activity and exercise is what releases the feel good hormone, it's why pet rodents spend so much time on their exercise wheel. Secondly the body mass of a small bird is much smaller than a human and the amount of dopamine they produce is proportional. What I'm saying is that humans owners derive more pleasure from a caged pet bird than the bird (proportionally) suffers from being caged. This argument isn't true though if the owner doesn't actually like the bird, in which case the bird should be given to someone who can love it and give it a good home.
>>
>>2180997
but birds magically dont suffer from atrophy
>>
>>2181265
You didn't get my point at all, not even close. It's basic ethics.

You can't justify the suffering of something by the enjoyment it creates in another.

It doesn't matter what the biological differences are. If your causing suffering for enjoyment, it's wrong, period. If you want to be a psychopath then don't hide behind bullshit philosophy to make yourself feel good.

(Although having a slave do work and someone not being physical active are not related, or even implied by my ability. Yes, exercise is better for you mentally than sitting around.)
>>
>>2179727
We put humans in cage for life? We even kill humans and its ok too?
Muslims think it's ilegal tho so if you don't like it you know where to go
>>
>>2179732
Nope, if you let them out of the cage a couple times they eventually escape, I guess you could put a lock in the cage but just picture the bird trying to open it constantly for the rest of his life
>>
>>2180236
You clearly have never lived in a house with 4 bathrooms
>>
OP, you are assuming birds actually like to fly. Not defending it or anything but that's is a big assumption. Think of us. Many of the people now don't like to exercise. And why do birds fly? 1. To escape 2. To find food. I don't think a bird has ever flied for pleasure before.

I own two yellow sided conures, I let them out of the cage every day for around five hours (not afriad of them getting out, they did before but they always come back after a while), and their wings are not clipped. But they would reacher walk than fly. Same for my African grey. They only fly to get back to their perch or to ground they cannot reach.

Ergo, you must first prove that birds prefer flying to a safe and secure environment
>>
>>2181357
This.
Most people just assume this because they anthropomorphize the birds outside and think "wow look at them they're flying free, they're so happy!" when in fact even, when wild birds only fly around to get to places they can't reach to, escape, or travel long distances to find food and shit.
Because pet birds don't have the need to actively search for food or even have any need to actually travel far, they are content in just walking around unless they want to get anywhere specific. Hell, you can even see this with city pigeons since they get all the food they want from people throwing out shit and thus largely fine in walking around or perching on wires to wait for something
>>
>>2181314
But muslims are the ones putting humans in cages, and then subsequently underwater.
>>
>>2180684

What are the chances that the bird ends up dead ?
>>
>>2181357

that sounds odd to me...my birds like to fly loops around rooms, and my green cheek will jump off my shoulder, fly around a room then come back and flap her wings after... they love flying... they line up on a cage and call to each other and then all take off at once in a few loops...

they seem to really enjoy it, they have food, they're clearly not scared... but they fly around every day

and i've had other birds that did the same thing...
>>
>>2181689
It's my anecdotal evidence against yours

Take everything with a grain of salt. Maybe my birds are just lazy, and yours are hyperactive >>2181394
This guy makes sense too, I have seen pigeons barely flying unless they want to go back to roost or hop on the ground to peck for seeds
>>
>>2179727
Birds are intelligent creatures anon, curious, so it means they like to fly alot including leaving you because flying is that much of a good thing to birds.
>>
I would think if God had endowed you with the ability of flight you would want to take full use of it. Birds know it is natural for them to fly, they don't even have to think about it, they just know they can do it. If you take that away their instincts will tell them they should fly but they can't so they would be sad.
>>
>>2180017

>you live in a cage too

Oh brother.
>>
File: IMG_20160803_104801.jpg (924KB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160803_104801.jpg
924KB, 3120x4160px
>>2182258
Well they actually prefer to goof around on their cage
>>
>>2179727
My budgie is a dick and never strays far from his cage. I literally give the fucker free roam to do whatever but he'd rather scream in his cage until he wants food then he flies over to me and screams in my ear until I get food.

Its a 10+ year old pet store budgie and I'm pretty sure its immortal at this point. May or may not be a demon.
>>
>>2182446
All budgies are demons, man
>>
File: 1464623059663.gif (2MB, 376x411px) Image search: [Google]
1464623059663.gif
2MB, 376x411px
>>2182258
Again you're trying to moralize and empathize with an animal who does not think like you do. I'm going to need some citations before you keep projecting your shower thought theory bullshit.

I have owned many domesticated budgies and cockatiels who were all nurtured (hell, even spoiled) as any sane pet owner would do for whatever animal they cared for. Domesticated birds love to walk and climb around as opposed to fly because above all, it expends less energy; domesticated birds become lazy once they adapt and feel comfortable in their owners house where they don't need to hunt for food.
>>
>>2179727
>from the guy that had chicken tenders for lunch
>>
i actually need to rehome some parakeets.
if any one can help me that would be great.
>>
>>2181357
Stop trying rationalizing keeping a bird inside a tiny cage.

Listen, if you had a huge ass cage that would allow them to fly from A to B, then thats more decent, but a fucking cage that allows them to do nothing? get real.
>>
>>2182569
I eat meat cause I need the nutrients, very different from keeping a bird caged for entertainment.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.