[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Problems with my first pet.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

I really wanted a bird to be my first pet for a long time. When I asked you guys most of you said cockatiels are great for a beginner.
yesterday I finally got one.

I did not use my car ;I walked home : Put him in my room , gave him water , food. It has been almost 24 hours now and he still did not eat anything.And he did not drink any water.
He didn't even move at all. He was moving when I was carrying him but after that ; no movement at all.

He stared at the wall without turning around until now. So I decided to turn his cage around to make him face the room instead. As expected he still did not move.

I talk with my friends on my computer pretty much all day. I do not shout or do any high voices. Can my voice still disturb him ? Does he need sunlight ?
Is he going to be okay ?
Is this normal ?
What can I do to help him ?

Please help me out /an/
>>
After a quick Google search, I found a relevant post on a forum from about 8 years ago: http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/community/showthread.php/51005-New-Cockatiels-not-eating

Basically, the bird is just a bit scared, and is warming up to his new environment. Some people in that thread gave that OP some suggestions on what to do (e.g. what to feed it, ect.).

From my own experience, birds usually aren't frightened by voices, as long as you aren't constantly screaming.

> Does he need sunlight ?

A quick Google search says that it's good for cockatiels to have some sunlight, but it's a good idea to let them get out of the sun if they don't want to be directly in it.

Anyway, I hope this helps! Cockatiels are great parrots, and make great pets (but I'm sure you already know that), but they can be a bit of work if you don't know what to do. There's a ton of good resources out there on the net, as well as many great books that have been published on owning and properly taking care of tiels, so if you have any questions, you can probably find a pretty good answer with a quick search.

Hope you enjoy your new bird!
>>
>>2179626
Thank you ; That helps alot.

I just want to give him the best treatment possible.
When he does not eat or drink whole day it made me really afraid.
>>
>>2179630
I've been told a small led light is sufficient enough light
>>
>>2179632
The place I put him to does not get sunlight.
The room isn't dark tho.
I don't really want to move him around too much since it makes him uncomfortable.
>>
>>2179634
OK bb good luck I'm sure you'll do ok
>>
Try putting him in the living room or somewhere you aren't all the time. He's probably just really afraid and needs to calm down.
>>
I'd suggest placing a small towel over 1 corner of the cage, so he has somewhere safe and secluded to hide out in.

Whenever we get a parrot at the rescue that is skittish they seem to appreciate that.
>>
They don't need direct sunlight, as long as the room is well lit it'll be fine.
I remember my cockatiel being the same when I first got him, he's just scared at the moment. Give him some time, don't try to rush things, and he should warm up to you and the new surroundings pretty quickly.
>>
>>2179619
It's an animal that is biologically adapted to living outside, it's a good idea that it gets decent sunlight and fresh air so it doesn't get depressed. Just having it in a well lit room that has windows is good enough
>>
How the fuck is it legal to keep birds in cages for life for the owner's selfish entertainment?
>>
>>2179619
That cage is literally torture and you're a fucking retard.
>>
I hope he was hand raised but it doesnt look like it. Cockatiels are social animals, if he's too scared to interact with you, you must buy him a mate and at least some toys
>>
>>2179728
I don't know anon, the same reason it's legal to own your favorite pet.
>>
>>2179619
Birds will normally be too nervous to eat or move on their first day, this is normal. He will warm up. However, you should get a larger cage for him and toys are a must. Craigslist usually has some good sized cages for sale. Look up videos and articles on Cockatiel care and training. Good luck with your new companion.
>>
>>2179728
Probably for the same reason it's legal to beat your children
>>
>>2179728
You need to be 18 or older to use this website
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.