[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

5 day old mouse survives CO2 exposure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

File: babymiceday5_3.thumb.jpg (40KB, 250x204px) Image search: [Google]
babymiceday5_3.thumb.jpg
40KB, 250x204px
>pic not mine
To start off let me explain that a snake has gotta eat too. I have two corns snakes and breed mice for their food. I take care of my mice. I've named them. Hold them everyday. Provide quality food, toys, fresh water and wheels for exercise. Before I bought my snakes I kept hamsters as pets, so maybe that's why. But anyway..

Today I euthanized 4 baby mice for freezing using Co2. I feel that it's the most humane besides cervical dislocation which you can't do on such small babies. I waited for about 5-7 min with them in a zip lock bag connected to another via tubing. Everything was air tight and I've done this so many times, I don't know if it's something I did wrong or what.

I took the mice out, checking for gasps or movement. I deemed it safe to go ahead and freeze them. At an impulse, I left out two for my snakes since it was feeding day. Froze the other two.

So I get everything ready. Get their feeding tank, take out my smaller corn and place him in. Pick up a limp baby mouse to place inside and notice it suddenly take a big gasp of air. I waited, thinking this over in my head as my snake discovers that his food is moving and shies away from it as the baby mouse revives itself, gasping and wriggling.

Well, my snake has never eaten live that I know of and he's a scared little shit so I take the mouse out and hold it. It was cold and struggling to survive. I look at its sibling and it's dead as a doornail so I go ahead and feed it to my snake.

Cupped my hands over the one who miraculously did not want to die this day, giving him warmth and a gentle massage. After awhile, he regained his strength and I am pretty much amazed at the little guy. I got him warm, put him in with his mother and older sisters. They groomed him up and down and as of now, after an hour, hes still alive.

So I have a few questions, /an/.

How do you think he survived? The bag was full of Co2 and I waited up to 7 min.

Will he grow to be a healthy mouse after almost dying?
>>
>>2178815
(Continued, post limit)

Has this ever happened to any of you?

I intend on keeping him. (I believe it's a boy since no nipples). Recommendations on a name please. :)
>>
What?

I don't know about mice. But as far as rats go, co2 doesn't work at such a young age and you must use cervical dislocation.
You can do it on tiny pups by simply placing a chopstick over the neck and pulling the hind legs up swiftly.

It's 50/50 whether he'll be totally fine or a little, uh, retarded, but physically he should be fine.
>>
>>2178819
> But as far as rats go, co2 doesn't work at such a young age and you must use cervical dislocation.
You can do it on tiny pups by simply placing a chopstick over the neck and pulling the hind legs up swiftly.

Oh... I didn't know you could do that. I don't know with mice, their so tiny. I'd be afraid of squishing their skulls in which I don't want since the thawing process would be a mess but I guess next time I should maybe think on doing this.
>>
They are 5 g and about the size of a quarter btw.
>>
>>2178822
It can definitely be daunting, but its actually much easier than with adults.

You're a good guy for looking after your feeder breeders, by the way!
>>
>>2178826
Thank you. I try. Feel like shit right now though.

Not sure if he's suckled yet. I keep on checking on him, he seems to be almost at %100 now. He shakes a little bit with crawling when they haven't before. He seems so weak right now.
>>
>>2178828
Mama Oreo is doing at amazing job. She picked him up and he squeaked. I think that's a good sign.
>>
File: IMG_20160730_243922797.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160730_243922797.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>2178829
Here is is with mama.
>>
I'll just leave them alone now. I'll update in a few hours just in case anyone is interested. He's warm and seems stronger and more active than how he was an hour ago. No more gasping. I just hope he has enough strength to suckle.

Open for names btw. I was thinking Chance or Lucky, but those names seem too ordinary.
>>
>>2178822
Sorry, I should correct this. I mean, I don't know with pinky mice. Cervical dislocation. I know you could do this with older mice but pinkies hardly have a neck and their skulls are still soft at this age. I'll have to think of something for the next time she has a litter.
>>
>>2178840
Call him Hercules because he was the strongest of them all.
>>
>>2178840
Jesus because he came back from the dead.
>>
CO2 doesn't work well on pinkies because they're used to low oxygen from being smothered under their mother so much.

I'd highly reccomend freezing; as inhumane as it sounds, it's the fastest method because they don't have fur and they are used to the warmth of their mother. This is what alot of show breeders do.

If you're uncomfortable with freezing, the only other thing I can think of is putting them in a sock and swinging it off something.

Also call him Sniffles
>>
>>2178815
co2 is easy to expell
and co2 is painful as fuck to breath
>>
>>2179625
Kek

Also OP do update us and show us a pic of him in a few weeks when he grows bigger
>>
>>2179637
>It's inhumane
>Do it anyway
>>
File: chef.jpg (314KB, 842x645px) Image search: [Google]
chef.jpg
314KB, 842x645px
>>
>>2179647
>co2 is painful as fuck to breath
this is not true.
>>
>>2179707
not that anon, but CO2 isn't a fun way to die, you should use N
>>
I genuinely don't understand how you can kill a baby animal that you obviously care about. I know snakes have to eat, but god, I wouldn't be able to rip a baby away from its mother and slaughter it. That's not to say I'm not happy you care, I just don't get it.

That said, hoping the little guy makes it. Good luck, OP. Keep us updated.
>>
>>2179758
Do you drink milk?
If so, shut up.
>>
>>2179758
I hope you don't breed animals, I breed fish and mice. I have to take any disfigured or unhealthy babies and cull them. It seems cruel but it's better then letting them live in pain or causing future problems for the breed.
>>
>>2179758
Protip: It has zero chance. Too much specialty gear and knowledge, only the most hardened veterans will get through day 1.
>>
>>2179771
I don't. Almond milk all the way. But even if I did, where did I say I care deeply about cows?

>>2179775
I don't. In the past I had guppies, but I never had to cull. They were all pretty healthy. Had some females I bred live for over three years, which is pretty good for guppies.

That said, I would euthanize an unhealthy animal. I think it's very different to kill a perfectly healthy animal, though.
>>
>>2179780
He kills them because he has a pet snake that needs to eat. I don't understand what's hard about that.
>>
>>2179801
I'm not saying I don't understand the reasoning, I just feel like it would be very difficult on an emotional level to kill a healthy animal that you care about. I, personally, wouldn't be able to do it. Hence why I don't own snakes, and just admire the snakes that belong to other people.

That's it.
>>
>>2179805
Pussy bitch.
>>
>>2179809
Maybe.
>>
>>2179707
it is
it lowers the ph of your blood and this is what makes you gasp for air
>>
>>2179637
Thank you, I learned something today!

OP, thank you for being respectful of your mice.
>>
>>2180047
From what I remember reading,, CO2 is very humane but you have to do it in two stages of a low dose and a high dose. Low dose knocks the animal out, then the high dose kills them.
If you skip straight to the high dose THEN it gets painful as fuck, but if done correctly is basically one of the most humane methods of culling.
BUT I don't have sources to back it up, so take it with a grain of salt until someone can verify it.
>>
>>2179707
Probably talking of cold burns (just out of pressure container).
>>
>>2180748
>Physiologists postulate that CO2 causes pain by dissolving in the moisture on the nasal and ocular mucosa, forming carbonic acid. Nociceptors in both rat and human mucosa respond to CO2 exposure, and this response occurs at similar concentrations,3,4 suggesting that rats might also experience pain during CO2 exposure. Another potential source of distress during CO2 exposure is dyspnea, a sensation of breathlessness, which begins to occur in humans at approximately 8% CO2.
>>
>>2180385
http://www.ratfanclub.org/euth.html

not a scientific source though.
>>
>>2179625
>not Lazarus
Are you literally retarded?
>>
>>2179758
I take it you're another of those whiny vegans?
As OP has already put it, snakes have to eat and most snakes will only take real animals, because that's what they eat in nature where there's no vegan who'd rether feed them soy nuggets and activated almonds.
Some animals are carnivores and no amount of feefees and humanism is going to change that.
Now please stop shitting up this thread and go back to fapping to PETA.
>>
>>2178815
>will he grow up a healthy mouse

No he probably has permanent brain damage from oxygen deprivation
>>
>>2180900
Actually, they can live an OK life....the brain is still growing and can recover....also, name him Lazarus OP
>>
>>2180848
No. Did you even bother to read the thread?

I only meant that it must be difficult emotionally to kill something you care about. That's it. Learn to follow a convo, fampai. Oh, and stop shitting up the thread with your ill-informed accusations.
>>
>>2180987
I did read the thread and not a single one of your posts is even relevant to OPs questions.
All you did was loudly defecate your opinion into a thread that doesn't give a shit if you're a squeamish little bitch.
Add to that a good dose of virtue signaling (muh almond milk) and you have the typical image of a vegan.

Notice how the thread was filled with competent people discussing the topic at hand, before you decided to barge in with your feefees? That's how a thread is supposed to work.
It's not your personal fucking blog and nobody cares how you feel about killing baby mice.
>>
>>2180994
I did one post explaining my feelings, then wished the OP luck, because baby mice are difficult to care for and he might've caused damage.

The rest is just me responding to others, like you, that decided to be gaping prolapsed assholes. If you think I'm shitting up the thread, but you somehow aren't, you're one hell of a delusional faggot. If you really want this to end, then act like a good dog and leave it.
>>
>>2180998
Have you considered that the angry responses you got might be a result of your inappropriate post?
This may be hard to understand for you because you are obviously new here, but every thread has a certain code of acceptable responses.
This thread is a thread about feeding snakes and answering question relevant to CO2 based euthanasia.

Tour post however was about your feefees.
Wishing people luck has about as much value as a ''How are you?'' has in western culture.
Either contribute or gtfo.
>>
>>2181005
>new
That's cute, coming from someone that values having the last word above preserving the integrity of a thread that they pretend to care about.

If you want me to shut up, stop talking to me, I'll have nothing to respond to. It's not hard. I just expressed bafflement at the mindset that I can't get into myself, and want OP to keep us posted on the mouse. That was the entirety of my post. Not, "omg how could u u monster?!," not "u shouldnt have snakes."

Everyone else losing their shit over a perceived vegan (or in the milk guy's case, a perceived non-vegan?) is what ruined the thread. You're ruining the thread.

Word lf advice: if you don't like a post that you feel is irreverent, hide it and move on with your life, instead of trying to police the board.
>>
>>2181012
fag
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.