[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moving long distance with animals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Animals-catcoveredinstyrafoam.gif (1MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
Animals-catcoveredinstyrafoam.gif
1MB, 400x225px
Has anyone here had to move long distance with your animals? How did it go? Any advice?

I have to move 2 dogs and 2 cats on a 10-12 hour drive.
>>
>>2178741
It's surprisingly non-stressful with dogs, provided they don't get carsick or are at least used to kennels. Just let them out every couple hours to use the bathroom, drink, and maybe have a snack.

Cats are unknown territory for me though. Sorry.
>>
I moved cross country with a cat, 26 fish ( all over 6"), a colony of dubia roaches and 13 geckos. Only lost one fish and everyone else did excellently.

My cat has never been in a per carrier, so we put a fleece blanket in a rubermaid container without the lid. He slept in there almost the entire trip. Let him go do his business every time we hit a rest stop and he was awake, luckily he doesn't mind being on a leash.
>>
when I was 7, my family moved from Mississippi to Virginia (~16 hour drive). we had 4 people, 2 cats, and a bird in the car. we had an old Honda minivan, we put a litterbox on the floor in the space in front of the sliding door. we let the cats roam free throughout the car. they were stressed at times but ended up laying in the empty seats and wandering around the car. if we were going to stop and open the car doors we would put them in their carriers. the bird sat in his cage at the foot of my sister who was riding shotgun, he chirped happily to the sound of the engine the whole trip. we stopped to stay with friends along the way one night and let the cats hang out in the closed garage. the garage was a little messy and we almost couldn't find poor Licorice. overall, having your cats out of the carrier isn't the safest option, but we were mostly on the highway and they could at least trench and lay down comfortably without the carrier. it kinda sucked for me because I had to sit next to the litterbox lol.
>>
Went 14 hours with 3 dogs, 3 cats, 3 birds, 2 rats and 2 sugar gliders. Everyone did great, even the cats, surprisingly.. At most one of the cats would not stop meowing from being caged(they all got breaks from it at rest stops) but we didnt want to risk her roaming the truck or van (we had two vehicles) and getting in the way of someone driving since we were so packed. Will consider an actual crate for the cats though rather than a carrier for the cats so they can move more, even if its just letting them pace some stress out from moving.
>>
>>2178766
The cat actually peed or pooped while on the journey? I've heard from a lot of people that they weren't able to get them to. Did you set up a box or did they go out on the leash?
>>
>>2178741
Had to move my two cats 400 miles, so whatever it came out to, 8 hours I think. Stayed in a hotel halfway through to give them and myself a break. No messes in the car surprisingly, which is rare, but there was a hell of a battle trying to get them out from under the bed the next morning when it was time to leave. Had to dismantle the entire thing down to the frame and drag him out.
>>
>>2178741
Did a few journeys with pets.

Since cat is in op, I'll focus on that

Cat had never been in a carrier.
Put her in around noon, went to airport.
Checked bags at curbside.
Cat meowing the whole time.
Had to wait in little area (cause /k/)
Went inside and stood in line.
Can't stopped making noise.
Went through checkpoint, said "hey I have a cat, can I just volunteer for secondary now?"
Finally got to gate
Cat still hasn't made a noise.
Plane delayed 3 hours (lol, it broke , we got the spare out)
Not kidding, spare fucking plane.
Flew from Vegas to Tennessee.
Put cat in window after take of as we climbed, she totally knew what was going on (smart cat).
Land- rush to baggage, taxi, get to bus station.
Bus ride longer than flight.
Not suppose to have animals on bus- she hasn't made a single sound since before baggage check on flight.
Friend picks us up, have to go shopping since we're in town.
Finally get to new "home", about 22 hours in the bag (minus secondary screening)
.....ahhhhhh can peee again.

Also took her to the beach.
Didn't plan ahead.
Next morning friend went to the store, bought a box and cat sand, dropped her in it and she immediately peed.
Awesome cat.
>>
>>2178883
>400 miles, so whatever it came out to, 8 hours I think. Stayed in a hotel halfway through
what'd you do, ride your fucking bike there?
>>
>>2178816
He went while on the leash. I was told he wouldn't likely go while traveling, but his fat ass didn't seem to care.
>>
File: _20160419_012504.jpg (486KB, 1383x1810px) Image search: [Google]
_20160419_012504.jpg
486KB, 1383x1810px
>>2178741
From Australia to England with two dogs, I'm pretty sure I was more stressed than they were...
I thought it might have an impact on one of them since she hates loud noises but she came out the other side completely fine.
Just make sure they're hydrated and it's as comfy as possible!

Remember, knocking them out is not an option. It can be incredibly dangerous for the animal.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.