[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SQT: Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: 1469759451007.jpg (164KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1469759451007.jpg
164KB, 640x960px
Can we get a Stupid Questions/Questions that don't deserve their own thread here? We got them on /g/, just thought i'd try to finagle my question into one of these threads, so that others with dumb questions can just deposit them here.

If you consider yourself knowledgeable about animals and stuff and can answer some questions, please lurk this thread for a while and help out.

I'd like to buy a Russian blue kitten. My ex's family had one, and he was awesome. Super chill, and a handsome guy.

I've never owned any cats before, just dogs, and I was wondering what age the kitten should be when I get him.

I just talked to this reputable breeder and it sounds like her pregnant cats are in labor as we speak, and that these new kittens will be available on the 6th.

My question is, don't new kittens need some time with their mother? What kind of things should I be on the look out with a kitten whos only a few days old at most?
>>
Kittens need to stay with their mothers 8 weeks at minimum. If your reputable breeder would be willing to give you a week-old kitten, she is absolutely not reputable. Cats that young can't even defecate or urinate on their own unless they're stimulated by their mother's tongue (or human using a similarly-textured replacement, e.g. warm washcloth). Their eyes and ears are not open, and they're barely mobile.

If she's a member of any breeding associations, report her to them.
>>
>>2178362
>cat breeder

are you serious anon

go to a shelter. You're going to get a sick, runty, kitten with behavioral problems who didn't receive half the shots they claim to have given them if you go to a breeder, especially a breeder that will give the kittens away that soon.
>>
>>2178362
OP do more extensive research on what makes a breeder reputable. Selling you a week old kitten is the stupidest thing I've heard of. Also consider why you want a specific breed, because getting a super chill handsome cat isn't unique to Russian blues. However there might be undesirable traits unique to Russian blues (such as health concerns) that you should look out for. Do more research. If what you're looking for in a cat isn't unique to a breed than get a shelter mutt cat, a lot of times the shelter workers or foster homes can tell you a lot about the specific personality of the cats. You don't know what the personality of a kitten will be until it's older.

My stupid question: I just got a cat who is about a year old. Is there anything I should do to keep his teeth healthy? He's eating wet and dry food (slowly increasing amount of wet in his diet) and I've heard that feeding little or no dry food can make their teeth bad, but I've also heard it's a myth. What do?
>>
>>2178427
It's a meme that dry food cleans teeth. Most cats don't chew it long enough.

http://feline-nutrition.org/answers/answers-what-dry-food-does-to-your-cats-teethL

You can try to feed them dental treats or brush his teeth. Look up the Virbac CET ones. They are good.
>>
>>2178403
>shelter
raumatised cat with toxoplasmosis
>>
>>2178440
I thought as much. Thanks for confirming and the product recommendation.
>>
File: SAM_3990.jpg (2MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_3990.jpg
2MB, 4608x3456px
What is this thing?
>>
>>2178499
Hard to tell from quality. First guess is a mud dauber nest (type of wasp)
>>
Sometimes my parents give my dog a bread, but he doesn't eat it, but if I approach him, he eats the bread. Why does he change his mind so suddenly? Is it because he thinks I'm gonna steal the bread?
>>
>>2178453
Here are some other products recommended by people who know their shit about pet teeth.

http://www.vohc.org/accepted_products.htm
>>
>>2178508
Don't mess with it if it is. Mud daubers are bro tier insects.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Can anybody tell me what these are?

In case picture turned out potato, it's a dead caterpillar covered in little white, hollow pods. Caterpillar is probably 1 1/2 inches long, for scale reference.
>>
>>2178659
the white tubes are where parasitic wasp babies developed and emerged.
>>
>>2178668

What a bunch of dicks. Should I be looking around my property for a wasp nest, or will they tend to move off?
>>
>>2178672
A nest made from what, live caterpillars? Anon just told you they're parasitic wasps
>>
>>2178680
Presumably once they hatch, they need a place to live. A burrow, a hive, a colony, nest, etc whatever. There's probably 50+ eggs on the one caterpillar, and they've all gotta be somewhere. Point is I'd rather not have a group of wasps living near my house.
>>
File: image.jpg (14KB, 150x127px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14KB, 150x127px
>>2178672
Nah, they disperse and feed on nectar. They don't have stingers either and are harmless to people.
>>
>>2178362
Stupid question
But are cats ok to be left alone for 12 hours at a time?
I mean ok, as in will it be emotionally ok or does it need some sort of socialization?
I was thinking of getting a cat, but because of my work and commute, it would be nearly 12 hours straight that I'm not at home for 5 days a week
I heard that cats are fairly independent and stuff, but I don't want to have a cat if it'll get depressed/go crazy from being left alone.
>>
>>2178789

It would be totally unfair for a kitten, but an older and more chill cat is unlikely to suffer badly if they're left alone for 12 hours. It's not ideal, but cats do sleep a lot, so that can eat up a significant chunk of the time they're alone in the house. You could also consider adopting two cats that are already living together - shelters often get pairs of cats that like each others' company, and looking after two cats is not much more work than looking after one.
>>
>>2178789
Depends. I have a chill housecat that sleeps 20 hours a day. Sometimes I leave her alone for 48 hours(weekend). She's happy to see me and purrs when I come back, but there were never problems with her stating alone for such a long time. Just make sure you leave enough water. As the posted above me said, wouldn't do that with a kitten.
>>
My kitten scratched her head so much she has 2 open wound there now. I put bepanthen cream on them and it seemed to close well, but yesterday she scratched again and it's open now. Is there a way to stop it, at least for a few days until it's cured? Tried putting a pet cone around her neck, but she takes it off every time and starts running around in panic. Don't want her to get injured more than she is now.
>>
File: catipsahellofadrug.jpg (94KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
catipsahellofadrug.jpg
94KB, 640x480px
Is it morally acceptable to drug my neighbour's cat?

I like cats as much as the next guy, but let's not pretend outdoor cats aren't bird-murderizing assholes that shit up yards and playgrounds.

I'm not talking about poisoning it or anything. I just figured I'd spread a metric asston of catnip in the vacant lot behind both our houses and have the cat get blitzed out of his gourd for a few days so it'll stop driving my dog up the fences.
>>
redundant question im sure but why are people so goddamn dumb about pets?

>work as a dog trainer
>couple comes in with a 1.5 y/o siberian, complaining about her tearing up wires/drywall/air conditioning unit/etc
>ask if she tears up anything inside the house
>oh no, shes an outdoor dog only
>wonder how the dog manages to stay alive in 110f temperature outside, much less has the energy to tear shit up in the heat
>ask how much they exercise her
>lady tells me they dont exercise her because she pulls

jesus christ. whats the point of having a dog at this point?
>>
>>2178362
How hard is it to take care of a nautilus? I-I really want a prehistoric animal to look after, and these seem to be my favorite.
>>
>>2178994
Anon, I highly recommend you do this. For science.

>sprinkle cat nip around his and your house at 2: am
>wait for morning
>take a video of it
>document observations and findings about the situation
>post results and video on /an/
>>
>>2179085
>sprinkle cat nip around your house
>install cameras
>report him to the police

Kek
>>
File: image.jpg (79KB, 650x445px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 650x445px
>>2179081
Hard.
Get some tadpole shrimp, they're pretty prehistoric looking.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.