[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice for first time kitten owner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: Snapchat-6188346234846565687.jpg (556KB, 1440x2392px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-6188346234846565687.jpg
556KB, 1440x2392px
Advice for first time kitten owner
>>
>>2178007
Op here, will be adopting a pair of kittens.

Have done a lot of reading on care and behavior, but was looking for some real life advice.
>>
>>2178007
Stomp on them
>>
Are you me?

We're going to get a pair (our first) tommorow.

I'm terrified cause it's a big commitment I'm afraid I might regret one day. @-@ I dunno.
>>
I regretted our female pair and gave her away after less than a year. Decided female cats are not my thing. I don't like female pets in general I think.
>>
File: 2016-06-20.jpg (56KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-20.jpg
56KB, 500x374px
>>2178008
-feed them as much as they'll eat while little
-feed canned or raw. rotate their foods so if there's a recall they won't be too fussy to eat something else.
-high protein and fat, low carbs. grain free isn't necessarily carb free.
-play with their paws and hold them in weird positions so when you decided to cut their nails and take them to the vet they won't freak.
-keep them inside otherwise they'll beg constantly to be let out.
-clicker train (google it for tips). don't bend on the rules! kittens can smell weakness.
-get them fixed/UTD on shots and deworming. microchipping is a great precaution.

I really wish I'd gotten two. it'd be nice for my girl to have something to vent all that energy on!
>>
>>2178008
how old will they be? handle them on a daily basis and invade their personal space. touch their toes, hold them in different positions, etc every day a few times so that they learn from a young age what to expect so that they don't grow up to be reactive when they're older
>>
>>2178013
Is this another forced meme? Are you the hammer guy?

>>2178017
That's unfortunate; after being fixed, male and female cats, dogs, ferrets and rabbits don't differ in personality based on their sex. Look for animals that have the personality you want, not the gender.

>>2178007
Don't free feed. Get them used to brushing and nail clipping, and tooth brushing if you want. Get them fixed ASAP. If you're not Mr moneybags, make a budget for your pet. Try to set away money for the vaccines (will need 3 distemper shots and one rabies it's first year), spay/neuter, and emergencies. If you need to cut corners, there's a lot of things you can save money on like litter boxes, litter, food, toys, etc.
>>
>>2178249

> save money
> on litter

Don't do this OP, or your friends will hate you and never come visit.
Buy the expensive clumping stuff, scoop out clumps and poop everyday. EVERYDAY!
>>
>>2178249
why would you cut corners on food? I'm not going to feed my cat corn based kibble and then spend my savings treating his UTIs, that's idiotic. please feed decent quality food.
>>2178266
I bought pic related for less than $20 and some equine bedding pellets made from cedar. 40 lbs for $6 at the TSC. the piss softens the pellets and the sawdust falls to the bottom. scoop out poop daily. smells better than most litterboxes.
>>
>>2178007

Don't get too hung up on food. If you can afford to feed a diet of canned and dry food, that is the best option, but if not, one or the other is perfectly fine. I feed my cats dry "taste of the wild" food. Its got a good nutritional balance, its available in stores nearby, and its not too pricey.

Cats are really easy. Just give them lots of love and playtime, and be patient when they are having their zoomy fun time, even if its at 2 in the morning.

Cats are stubborn, the best way to teach a cat something is repetition. I really disagree with people who use spray bottles or shaker cans; I think it leads to worse behavioral problems than it fixes. If you don't want your cat on the counter, for example, just pick them up and put them on the floor every time you see them there. Cats will try and try, but eventually they'll get it as long as you stay consistent.

The best advice I can give you, is create a loving environment they can trust. I have 2 outgoing, loving, friendly cats that will let strangers rub their bellies and everyone is always telling me how nice they are, and I think the reason is that I don't ever fuck with them, and I don't have any dumb kids around to scare them.

Also, inside only, please anon. Supervised outside time is okay.
>>
>>2178007
Op here, really appreciate all the feedback guys

Taking everything into consideration.

How long should they be confined to a separate room?

I have rats, when should I allow them to get near the cage? While they're still very young?

Thanks everyone
>>
>>2178033
You sound like an excellent cat owner, anon.
>>
hi. i found a stray kitten outside today hiding under a boat from the rain and it followed me home. i put some milk out for it and held it for an hour. it's dark now and it's meowing outside my door. can't let it inside bc parents. is it ok to just leave it out there?
>>
>>2180185
I have rats as well. My kitten is very curious about them and will try to bap them occasionally but mostly just watches from a distance. 3 of my rats just ignore her but one is always trying to bite her through the cage which scares me. I'd say it depends on how your rats react to the kitten.

>>2180186
Thank you! I try. She's a little shit though, always begging to be let outside.

>>2180189
Cats can't have cow's milk, poor litlte kitten is probably going to have diarrhea. Ask your parents if it's okay to let her in and lock her in a bathroom or something, maybe? At least get a box with a blanket for her.
>>
>>2180189
Why do people ask questions like this?
Food and water it until it becomes a cat.
>>
>>2180189
you got adopted.

enjoy your now feline overlord.
>>
>Feed a high quality wet food. It will save you on vet bills in the long run. Go to a holistic pet shop and they'll happily help you.
>Get him on a flea prevention drops/pills even if he is indoor only. Shit can and does happen. Make sure to talk to your vet about one safe for kittens.
>Find a vet you trusr. Unlike human doctors, the prices between vets vary greatly. Find one that offers you a combination of service and economy you like.
>Kittens need lots of stimulation. Make sure to play with him a lot every day..
>Make sure to brush and comb his cost once week if short hairedrive, and at least 3 times a week if long.
>Try to get him to like his teeth brushed! It will save you lots of money in the long run. Dental procedures are some of the most expensive shit a vet will charge you for.
>Harness train him! Harnesses are a great way for your kitten to get stimulation, and am excellent way for him to safely experience the outdoors.
>Make sure to have lots of cat treea and high places. Cats need high places to sleep and nap in to be happy. Jumping is also an important part of being a kitty.
>>
>>2180189
Stomp on it.
Seriously, you're doing nothing good allowing the little shit to live unless you intend on making it a pet.
>>
>>2178008
Congrats! In no particular order:

1. Keep the kitten shut in one room for the first week in its new home, with food, water, and its litterbox in the same room. Cats need to trust their space and have time to adjust to one room before being let loose into the rest of the house. Block off any crevices that they could get stuck in (if part of them can fit, they'll find a way to get the rest of them in there). Don't feel bad about holing them up because cats have different needs than people. Build trust by staying in the room with them and feeding them. Wait for them to get used to you and handle them more when they approach you readily. Be patient.

2. Keep onions, citrus, lilies, chocolate, etc. away from them. Reconsider any cleaning and scented products you use. http://www.catster.com/cat-health-care/plants-food-poisonous-to-cats

3. Put away money each month into a vet fund. Some people get pet insurance but I've heard mixed reviews about how economical it is.

4. Use food to condition/teach them. My cat knows its name because I'd say it right before feeding it every time. Also, feed them around the same time every day.

5. Get lint rollers. Your kitten will shed more as it grows and hair will fly to weird places.

6. Learn cat body language. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERJXwaTVPI8

7. Don't get too much shit for your cat until you have an idea of what it likes and dislikes.

8. Do little check ups on your kitten. Check its ears, eyes, fur, paws, etc. often so that you'll know what normal vs. abnormal is for your cat. I did have a scare once where I thought my cat had cataract but it turned out to be eye gunk.

9. Keep any documentation for you cat safe and save some canned food somewhere for emergencies.

10. Arrange for a catsitter (friend or professional) for when you'll be out of town!
>>
>>2181963
>4. Use food to condition/teach them. My cat knows its name because I'd say it right before feeding it every time.
pretty sure the cat doesnt know its name, but look at you in anticipation of food
>>
>>2178007
get rid of it. felines are the devil
>>
>>2178249
This isn't true in cats. Fixed and unfixed, male cats are MAJORLY more affectionate than females, by and large.
>>
Cats are easy to care for. Feed them, get them a scratch post, clean their litter boxes. Cats mostly take care of themselves unless they get super fat. Don't let them get super fat, then you'll need to clean them because they can't reach themselves.
For kittens, make sure they know what they can and cannot get into early as possible. If they scratch something they're not suppose to we used to mist her with a water bottle. If they sniff the trash or look for food where they aren't suppose to, mist them. If you don't want to mist them because you think it's "abuse", you can place aluminum foil or something sticky near an area they scratch or sniff around.

If it's going to be a completely inside cat and you don't have ticks and bugs inside, and no other pet that goes outside and comes back in, you could skip the shots. We used to forget about shots for years, then we got a dog so now we have to get our cat shots. For 12 years, our cat had no problems, still has no problems.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.